Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The slightly more expensive or boutique foods do tend to have a much lower incidence of recalls.

Though blue buffalo due to their outsourced manufacturing has a fairly high incidence, Acana one of the lowest, but its been a while since i checked or cared since both cats are on prescription now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Basically, pet foods that are marketed as "nutritionally complete" are regulated to contain everything your pet needs to live. There can still be differences in quality, and of course there could be some secret to pet nutrition that hasn't been discovered yet. But any legitimate brand is enough for your animal to live healthily according to current understanding.

Cats can be picky when it comes to food, and of course some cats have allergies or other special needs, but other than that cat food marketing is mostly supposed to appeal to humans rather than reflect any objectively verifiable difference in quality.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Can of worms aside, all I was trying to say is that the high end fancy brands aren't worth it over something "average". Your cats body doesn't care if the food was made out of wild boar and island birds or a dump truck of old chickens not fit for human consumption. Protein is protein. It's a diminishing return.

On the lower end the food can still be "nutritionally complete" but if you dig deep enough you'll see why it's so much cheaper. The calorie count is rock bottom because the food is basically mostly water, grains and bone meal. Is it healthy enough? Yeah, according to the FDA it is. But also you need to give your cat 4-5 cans of it per day to have enough calories compared to something average where it might be two cans only. Often the cheapest foods can end up costing you just as much as something average because you're needing to use twice as much to get enough calories.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FWIW, my cats absolutely go hog wild for a particular brand of grocery store wet food and literally won't touch any other brands

We currently feed them a fairly nice dry food, but with our former cat prior to these two flourished on Natural Balance LID food (since she had allergies) and wouldn't even touch the fancier allergy free foods. We had to shift her to a fancy kidney food towards the end of her life, but her coat was never softer and glossier than with that Natural Balance food

I figure as long as they're eating a decent food and eating the right amount it seems to work out :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

FWIW, my cats absolutely go hog wild for a particular brand of grocery store wet food and literally won't touch any other brands

We currently feed them a fairly nice dry food, but with our former cat prior to these two flourished on Natural Balance LID food (since she had allergies) and wouldn't even touch the fancier allergy free foods. We had to shift her to a fancy kidney food towards the end of her life, but her coat was never softer and glossier than with that Natural Balance food

I figure as long as they're eating a decent food and eating the right amount it seems to work out :shrug:

Yeah, that's the correct conclusion. Since the nutrition content is regulated, you don't need to worry about it. Your pet can eat the same flavor of the same brand of food for its entire life and be perfectly healthy. You don't need to worry about trying to maintain a balanced diet for it.

Owls or something makes a good point that cheap foods aren't as cheap as they seem. Some more expensive foods can be more cost effective if they're more energy dense.

The bottom line is what your pet likes and what you can afford. Don't wind yourself up worrying about which is "better" - they all work.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Keep them tummies full and the chins scratched.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat drinks pee water and eats his hair after a brushing. He's fine with Purina one urinary tract blend

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

owls or something posted:

Keep them tummies full and the chins scratched.

Not sure some of those whiskers aren’t actually growing out of some of those pretty eyes. Paw love too!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I pretty recently adopted two cats, one’s an old lady cat named pot roast and the other is a 4ish month old baby boy named buckwheat. Predictably, pot roast loves sitting around and chilling, while buckwheat keeps wanting to play. Is there any way to try and get him to stop playing with my old cat, because she clearly wants no part in it

Like, he’s got plenty of toys, and we can play with him for a little while before he gets bored with the dingle dangle and runs off to tear up an electrical cable or something. But he’s got that kitten energy and doesn’t tire easily. And his favorite activity is harassing my pot roast. Every time she gets up to get a drink from the water fountain or something he’s right on it attacking her tail, then she hisses and bats at him, and so on. It’s getting pretty old having to separate them all the time, and pot roast is clearly on edge from the stress

fwiw buckwheat has yet to be spayed or neutered, maybe that’ll help when we get it done I don’t know. The two do cuddle up with eachother every now and then, pot roast is fine with him as long as he’s chill but the moment he gets even slightly worked up he turns into a little terror

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kittens are adorable little hellions full of chaotic energy. With or without being fixed it takes a year or two for that stage to pass.

If you can handle 3 it might help to get another young cat who would want to play with him the way he wants. But then you're a crazy cat lady.

Or try to get him to play more with you, there are some good ideas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPjoNg3nv8

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Yeah when Sam died at 15 last year, we wanted to get another cat to keep his sister Suzie company, but the vets were "do not get a kitten, Suzie is 15 and will super stress out with a kitten, get an older rescue".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I have no experience with this, but I've heard that adult (female) cats are more likely to accept a kitten as a new friend than another adult. But there might be an upper age limit where an adult is better again.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you can handle 3 it might help to get another young cat who would want to play with him the way he wants. But then you're a crazy cat lady.

Second kitten would be good but the apartment I’m in only lets us have two pets. Will watch the YouTube later it’s 2 am right now and I’m only up because I had to stop them tussling again

pidan posted:

I have no experience with this, but I've heard that adult (female) cats are more likely to accept a kitten as a new friend than another adult. But there might be an upper age limit where an adult is better again.

Agreed it’s not the best situation. We weren’t really planning on getting pot roast, but her owner died pretty quickly and I had always promised her I would take the cat in when that happened. Then the day that she passed it was either pick her up by noon or else the dead lady’s sister would bring her back to the shelter

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kittens are adorable little hellions full of chaotic energy. With or without being fixed it takes a year or two for that stage to pass.

Thanks for posting this, I learned a lot to help our more reserved cat play :) he takes a bit longer to get into it and prefers ground-based activities, so our younger high-flying cat tends to overshadow him.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Ziv Zulander posted:

I pretty recently adopted two cats, one’s an old lady cat named pot roast and the other is a 4ish month old baby boy named buckwheat. Predictably, pot roast loves sitting around and chilling, while buckwheat keeps wanting to play. Is there any way to try and get him to stop playing with my old cat, because she clearly wants no part in it

Like, he’s got plenty of toys, and we can play with him for a little while before he gets bored with the dingle dangle and runs off to tear up an electrical cable or something. But he’s got that kitten energy and doesn’t tire easily. And his favorite activity is harassing my pot roast. Every time she gets up to get a drink from the water fountain or something he’s right on it attacking her tail, then she hisses and bats at him, and so on. It’s getting pretty old having to separate them all the time, and pot roast is clearly on edge from the stress

fwiw buckwheat has yet to be spayed or neutered, maybe that’ll help when we get it done I don’t know. The two do cuddle up with eachother every now and then, pot roast is fine with him as long as he’s chill but the moment he gets even slightly worked up he turns into a little terror

At least make sure pot roast has a place to get away from buckwheat, like a cat tree or something up and away. Think about finding ways to move the water fountain or whatever away from where she can be stalked and pounced on, if that’s what he’s doing. Find him different toys if he (or you) gets bored quickly; it doesn’t take too much to wear cats out if they go at it hard.

And yeah, neutering will help a lot, for this and all things. Do it now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Otteration posted:

And yeah, neutering will help a lot, for this and all things. Do it now.

The cat or the OP?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

The cat or the OP?

All of us. But the cat first anyway. :)

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Hey cat thread.

We picked up a new cat a few months ago. He's 2 and declawed by his previous owners. We got him at a shelter. He's taken his time warming up and certainly isn't as cuddly as my partner would like, but I imagine that will change with time - their previous cat took ~3 years to start being comfortable with that, but she was around for 12, and that certainly gave enough time to get used to cat cuddles.

The main issue at hand is he *obnoxiously* squawks in the morning, likely trying to get food. I've attempted to make a point to not feed him right when I get up, instead going about my routine for 45 minutes to an hour, and then associating a breakfast call with feeding him. It doesn't help. He'll get right up next to our heads and let out an extended meow to make sure we wake up. Locking him out of the bedroom leads to him putting his paws under the door and shaking it, and it's about to get real hot here, we're a tad worried of leaving him locked out of where the only AC will be.

We've been discussing switching the wet food feeding to night, but are rather unsure how to do that - a half hour at a time, or just switching to nights? All we want to do is sleep in the morning, but also make sure he gets what he needs.

Edit: I should clarify - at present he gets a wet food packet in the morning and kibble refresh at night. We're pondering doing both at night to save our sanities in the morning, but are unsure how to beat accomplish that or if there is a way to get him to not scream in the morning for wet food.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 8, 2022

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My dumb idiot girl always zooms around the house like a banshee after taking a smelly poop. Never pee, never small poops, just the every few days she takes an absolute stinker she can’t help but bolt around.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Have you never taken a huge poo poo OP

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gotta chase away the poo ghosts

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oyster posted:

Hey cat thread.

We picked up a new cat a few months ago. He's 2 and declawed by his previous owners. We got him at a shelter. He's taken his time warming up and certainly isn't as cuddly as my partner would like, but I imagine that will change with time - their previous cat took ~3 years to start being comfortable with that, but she was around for 12, and that certainly gave enough time to get used to cat cuddles.

The main issue at hand is he *obnoxiously* squawks in the morning, likely trying to get food. I've attempted to make a point to not feed him right when I get up, instead going about my routine for 45 minutes to an hour, and then associating a breakfast call with feeding him. It doesn't help. He'll get right up next to our heads and let out an extended meow to make sure we wake up. Locking him out of the bedroom leads to him putting his paws under the door and shaking it, and it's about to get real hot here, we're a tad worried of leaving him locked out of where the only AC will be.

We've been discussing switching the wet food feeding to night, but are rather unsure how to do that - a half hour at a time, or just switching to nights? All we want to do is sleep in the morning, but also make sure he gets what he needs.

Edit: I should clarify - at present he gets a wet food packet in the morning and kibble refresh at night. We're pondering doing both at night to save our sanities in the morning, but are unsure how to beat accomplish that or if there is a way to get him to not scream in the morning for wet food.

Free feed him at night. Put out a bowl of dry food that he can munch on. If you're trying to control his diet, you can figure out how much is left and calculate what else he gets for the rest of the day from there.

If you're not controlling his diet, leave the dry food out all the time and forget about it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Deteriorata posted:

Free feed him at night. Put out a bowl of dry food that he can munch on. If you're trying to control his diet, you can figure out how much is left and calculate what else he gets for the rest of the day from there.

If you're not controlling his diet, leave the dry food out all the time and forget about it.

Yeah, we do that already. He's still a banshee in the morning.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oyster posted:

Yeah, we do that already. He's still a banshee in the morning.

Then drop the wet food in the morning. Do it in the evening.

Don't make morning something special, so that he thinks he needs the humans awake to make the special thing happen.

Otherwise, you'll have to ignore him. He'll eventually learn that the humans won't respond. If they do, he'll keep at it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drunken officeparty posted:

My dumb idiot girl always zooms around the house like a banshee after taking a smelly poop. Never pee, never small poops, just the every few days she takes an absolute stinker she can’t help but bolt around.

We call this phenomenon 'Poophoria'

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno if it's a good feeling, I'd definitely have to hype myself up if I knew I had to lick my own butthole after taking a really gnarly poo...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zoomies after a poo can be a reaction to feeling dingleberries, they got limited options for cleaning back there and it comes down to the butt scrape or zoomies to shake it off.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Talking about poop, Pepsi and Price finally got over their Giardia troubles!
First cure of panacur didn't seem to work out. Only three days after finishing the second round Price was already back to liquid foul poops, no matter how much I cleaned.
I went back to the vet and got metrobactin which was a bit of a pain to feed the cats, but easypill was the answer there. Turns out some strains of Giardia are more resistant to one of the cures.

His poops slowly got better and I feel I can confirm the issues are over because a few days ago, directly after I cleaned the litter box, he jumped in and looked me straight in the eyes before dropping the girthiest longest turd I've ever seen come out of him. :toot:

That said, I now have a new conundrum. Not too long ago, Pepsi jumped into the trash can while I was cleaning around my house. Ever since that he's being a trash goblin and trying to get into the trash can, clawing and eating away at the trash bag that's sticking out.
I've tried spraying vinegar, but that didn't help. Any ideas how I can make him stop?

Goblin tax time :catte:

Price

Pepsi

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mine does this, and he doesn't bother to cover it up either. Thanks cat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Only way to stop trash goblin is to make it so he can't get in.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
The lid's already on the can, so he's not getting in but he sure as hell is sitting on top of the trash can and meowing loudly about wanting to enter the trash zone.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Two or three of ours always bolt after dropping any particularly godawful deuce. They dump and run without burying, leaving my wife and I retching our way awake at 2:30 a.m.

Yesterday, I was in the garage grabbing a load of laundry and Faffas was in the box, rear end to me as a puddle grew larger under him. Then he turned, scratched, and lifted his rear end and tail to all but stare at me as he power-moved a couple of small logs before walking away. My impression of a making GBS threads cat never fails to make my wife laugh.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat also runs around screaming and bristle-tailed after pooping, I had no idea it is so common. She also sometimes screams a bit before she poops, so I was worried she might have digestive issues.

Then again, who among us has never experienced such a poop...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Huh. Mine never do that, at least not while I'm around (I'm out of the house 7a-5p M-F).

But one of mine is obsessed with plastic wrap/cellophane/etc. Anything crinkly and plastic. He chews on it, and sometimes even swallow it, as I've found plastic in his poop.

I've bought a new trash can with a lid, which has drastically cut down on the issue, but if he spots any piece of plastic, he tries to get at it and chew on it.

And he knows he's not supposed to, because when I catch him doing it he runs and drops it (usually).

I know I probably need to get them more toys, but the last toy I bought was a feathers puffball on a wobbly spring, and they ripped the puffball off within a week.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Kimchi will walk around yelling to announce a successful poo poo, usually we validate her accomplishments and she'll move on to grooming.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Ours does the pre-poop walk from room to room "poop howls" followed by the post-poop "poop gremlins", which is what I for some reason call having the zoomies after a poop.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I remember my childhood dog joyfully frolicking after taking a powerful dump. That satisfying lightness after a huge poo poo is a universal experience man, dog, cat can all connect with.

(My cat also gets the zoomies)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

My cat Jackie has gotten pretty weird/lazy with her litter-box habits… or so I had thought, reading the last page maybe it’s not so weird? She definitely zooms around like a crazy cat after she poops these days, which I find rather unfortunate because as a result she NEVER buries her own poop anymore, but leaves it out in the open stinking and it falls to ME to bury it with the drat litter scoop! I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world.

The other extreme would be my other cat, Mini-Scratcher. Maybe because he’s formerly feral (or maybe for no reason at all) but after pooping he will scratch at the litter burying it until there is absolutely no litter left in one corner of the box! Sometimes he messes up and just dumps like half a pound of litter onto the floor next to the box, leaving his poop totally unburied.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Poopzies. Boudica gets them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

kaworu posted:

The other extreme would be my other cat, Mini-Scratcher. Maybe because he’s formerly feral (or maybe for no reason at all) but after pooping he will scratch at the litter burying it until there is absolutely no litter left in one corner of the box! Sometimes he messes up and just dumps like half a pound of litter onto the floor next to the box, leaving his poop totally unburied.
Some cats just seem to enjoy digging, Merlin goes in the box and digs around sometimes without even pooping. When Kali was having accidents near the box during some stomach problems last winter, he would scoop litter out of the box to cover her poop. I think he's also learned that if he kicks a bunch of litter onto the floor, one of the humans will eventually come sweep it up, and then he will have an opportunity to throw himself under the broom to be swept too. I've never heard him purr louder than when he flops down to be brushed out with the gross kitchen floor broom :3: We are thinking of buying a second, clean broom just to use on him, but it feels ridiculous.