Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

Why do all these guys do zany Dreamworks faces?

is this the new soy face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

D.N. Nation posted:

Why do all these guys do zany Dreamworks faces?

Its the face you make at another person when they fart in an elevator

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/TheLouisDangoor/status/1523306932508913664

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It's funnier that he's posted this exact tweet before without the "if Roman is done" part. He genuinely thinks they will give a mega push to Bron or Theory.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

did any of these people watch gable stevesons segments yet?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

teh reason kurt angle became a big star was because he was a world class amateur wrestler

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Mark Henry was also an Olympic athlete and it took WWE like a decade to figure out how to book him properly and even that only lasted like what, a couple months?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

Mark Henry was also an Olympic athlete and it took WWE like a decade to figure out how to book him properly and even that only lasted like what, a couple months?

At least with Mark he himself admits he didn't really "get it" until 2008.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I would love for Roman to decide he wants to retire just to see Vince's panicked scramble to figure out who the next top guy is gonna be. They've built nobody who could replace him except maybe Brock and the icing on that cake would be if Brock refused to answer his phone when Vince called

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I would love for Roman to decide he wants to retire just to see Vince's panicked scramble to figure out who the next top guy is gonna be. They've built nobody who could replace him except maybe Brock and the icing on that cake would be if Brock refused to answer his phone when Vince called

I get the impulse, but in this instance.... It'd be Cody. Like it has to be, at least short term.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It does feel like Cody is who they're building up, and by "building up" they're not making GBS threads on the reaction he gets by having him lose meaningless matches.

WWE's best bet the last 15 years has been "let guys go figure out what gets over in other places and bring them back without changing them"

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

WWE's best bet the last 15 years has been "let guys go figure out what gets over in other places and bring them back without changing them"

Vince will never admit it but this has been the truth his whole time owning WWF/E.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

to be fair early career mark henry sucked and mid career was them deliberately embarrassing him as much as possible in hopes that he'd ask to be let out from his huge contract

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

It does feel like Cody is who they're building up, and by "building up" they're not making GBS threads on the reaction he gets by having him lose meaningless matches.

He's been doing that since the 80s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saucer Crab posted:

Vince will never admit it but this has been the truth his whole time owning WWF/E.

Except for the Attitude Era basically.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MassRafTer posted:

Stone cold was developed in ECW, same with mankind. The Rock would have sunk if he went with what creative gave him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cagliostr0 posted:

Stone cold was developed in ECW, same with mankind. The Rock would have sunk if he went with what creative gave him.

the rock did go with what creative gave him, he was just charismatic enough that the extremely stupid lines they gave him worked coming out of his mouth

thats why the wwe are so bad at getting people over now, they still give people the same level of awful lines because hey it worked for The Rock, why shouldn't it work for everyone else

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cagliostr0 posted:

He was in ECW for a few months. He got more comfortable on the mic but the Stone Cold act in no way was just something lifted from his ECW run. Foley would have probably been better off if they just let him do what worked elsewhere instead of having to make him into their own thing. Each of these guys hit their stride when what they were given didn't work and they started being able to contribute more, not just because they did what they'd done elsewhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With Austin and Foley it's more that Vince for one brief period was willing to listen to his wrestlers and work with them on creating characters, because most of his own ideas hadn't panned out.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Mankind kinda works as a New Generation cartoon foil for Undertaker but I guarantee if the character was played by anyone other than Mick Foley, he would have been gone after Survivor Series 96.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

With Austin and Foley it's more that Vince for one brief period was willing to listen to his wrestlers and work with them on creating characters, because most of his own ideas hadn't panned out.

That's basically the way Foley tells the story, McMahon was getting his rear end kicked and decided he was going to do it another way. (I believe the line in the book is "let wrestlers have personality")

Then he won* and went back to doing it his way.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

MassRafTer posted:

This is mostly why I specified the last 15ish years, but yeah, I agree with the people saying it's pretty much always been like this.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
theory lmao

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MJF and a few retirements will be to much for Tony Yayo

https://twitter.com/wrestlecringe/status/1523691872019161089?s=21&t=cn0yBTz_XL1XDb-9aVDq5Q

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

But I thought AEW was dead in the water because Cody left?

Just like how it was dead in the water that one time NXT beat it in the ratings and then promptly died?

Or how it was dead in the water that one time some wrestlers dressed up as Ghostbusters on the HALLOWEEN EPISODE of the show?

Or that time a masked jobber punched bad?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
these goobers are always calling TK a money mark and yet when it serves them they always conveniently forget that he has enough money to buy the WWE multiple times over

but any day now AEW is gonna fold. any day now

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Mankind kinda works as a New Generation cartoon foil for Undertaker but I guarantee if the character was played by anyone other than Mick Foley, he would have been gone after Survivor Series 96.

After I got a little older, I started to wonder if there was supposed to be a message about having Mankind feud with the Undertaker. The character's name is Mankind and he's a hosed up weirdo that squeals like a pig and rips out his own hair and fights in this strange, brutal way. The Undertaker wasn't really treated like a guy with a job at a cemetery the way that other wrestlers were a plumber or garbage man. He was treated (is treated?) as the personification of death. It's not exactly subtle storytelling but I would usually assume they just created a grotesque enemy to feud with Taker.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dromal phrenia posted:

After I got a little older, I started to wonder if there was supposed to be a message about having Mankind feud with the Undertaker. The character's name is Mankind and he's a hosed up weirdo that squeals like a pig and rips out his own hair and fights in this strange, brutal way. The Undertaker wasn't really treated like a guy with a job at a cemetery the way that other wrestlers were a plumber or garbage man. He was treated (is treated?) as the personification of death. It's not exactly subtle storytelling but I would usually assume they just created a grotesque enemy to feud with Taker.

The original idea for Mankind's name was Mason the Mutilator. I don't remember if Foley came up with the idea for the change to Mankind but I don't think anyone thought deep enough about this whole thing to try to send a "life vs death" message

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

dromal phrenia posted:

That's a pretty cool idea even if it wasn't the intention.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

Taker's persona changed a bunch where he was certainly a magical death wizard for various periods, but in both the comic and the early days of the character (particularly around casket matches) you'd see him in the workshop building coffins and stuff like he had a job in Paul's funeral parlour.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Elephant Ambush posted:

The original idea for Mankind's name was Mason the Mutilator. I don't remember if Foley came up with the idea for the change to Mankind but I don't think anyone thought deep enough about this whole thing to try to send a "life vs death" message

It was Foley's idea. He said how when he talked about thing like the destruction of Mankind or how Mankind was a monster he could be referring to himself or the entire human race. He was under the impression that he'd still be stuck with the "mutilator" part of the name but when he debuted he was pleasantly surprised to see it was gone.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In his book he said how he could see from a million miles away that the mutilator gimmick was terrible and had no legs but he knew if he just said it was terrible he wouldn't get anywhere - he had to have something better to replace it with. So that's when he tweeked it with the Mankind gimmick.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I heard a probably untrue story that the original Mankind mask was supposed to be the phantom of the opera mask Undertaker had been wearing in early '96. That would have been a cool touch but I still think the Mankind mask we actually got is the best.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I heard a probably untrue story that the original Mankind mask was supposed to be the phantom of the opera mask Undertaker had been wearing in early '96. That would have been a cool touch but I still think the Mankind mask we actually got is the best.

Wasn't there a whole backstory where Mankind was a former pianist whose abusive mother would smash the piano lid down on his hands when he got notes wrong, and that's why he came out to weird piano music and did the mangled hands pose and then they just never mentioned it again after a week or whatever?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Drakkel posted:

Wasn't there a whole backstory where Mankind was a former pianist whose abusive mother would smash the piano lid down on his hands when he got notes wrong, and that's why he came out to weird piano music and did the mangled hands pose and then they just never mentioned it again after a week or whatever?

Yes and it's also why his entrance music and post-match music were different. Whenever he won he would leave to a piano song.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Drakkel posted:

I didn't know that actually made tv. But yeah something like that was the origin story the braintrust wanted.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Drakkel posted:

I completely forgot he used to yell Mommy all the time too.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I think the original mask was sort of a Hannibal Lecter type deal.

The calm piano music that played when he won was inspired by Silence of the Lambs too. Based on a scene where Lecter murders a guard in his cell while serene classical music plays.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

iirc it was that the Mankind mask was one of the ideas for the mask Taker wore that wasn't used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The piano music is also almost the Laura Palmer theme. As is his original entrance as well.