Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't think it runs their plug-ins yet, but it's supposed to at some point.
Oh yeah sorry, I was unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

nwin posted:

So I want a telecaster…why? I just want one.

What’s a decent mid-range one to get? No idea on budget but it doesn’t need to be top of the line but I also don’t want a complete cheapie version.

I’ve currently got a firefly LP which scratches the itch for my les Paul wants, and a PRS SE which I’m considering selling because it’s just boring-I like the scale of it and it sounds good, but it just doesn’t do anything for me if that makes sense.

MIM if you want the authentic thing, Schecter PT or LTD TE if you want a humbucker configuration. You should be able to get those anywhere from the $350-500 haggling on reverb.
Buy used and haggle

For what it's worth, the satin maple necks on late 90s/early 2000s MIM fenders are my favorite goddamn thing so if they speak to you I highly recommend going that route, but I also have and enjoy the PT (though I did have to swap out the stock pickups). I actually bought an MIA after the MIM and ended up selling the american.

I haven't played the TE but they look so pretty

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't think it runs their plug-ins yet, but it's supposed to at some point. Either way, I'm definitely going with Helix whenever I can. Is there any real reason to spend money on a Helix floor, as opposed to a Helix LT which is like 500ish cheaper? I think the LT just doesn't have as fancy of an i/o and user interface? I'd mostly edit preset stuff on the computer. And if I ever get a social life I'd have a Helix/FRFR cab I could just carry around. And if I somehow ever con my way into playing a show, I think these days you just can have the sound guy run the Helix to their PA set up? Seems like a Helix covers everything.

I just find the LT really ugly but other than that theres no real benefit to the floor DSP wise.

A couple people on forums complain about the LTs expression pedal being more breakable than the floor.

The floors scribble strips are nice especially if you run a complex setup with a lot of automation tied to every switch (its nice having strips that just say VERSE/CHORUS/WHATEVER)

The floor has mic input and I think more loops if you want to integrate it into other equipment.

If my floor broke id probably survive with an LT but I wouldn't love it like the floor.

e; also something unrelated I just found out yesterdaythat I love on the helix: the looper/synth pad effect can keep playing while youre tuning so you dont have to tune silently like an awkward goon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Matt Zerella posted:

https://xsonicaudio.com/products/xtone-pro

I picked this up and it's loving excellent. 3 banks of foot switch midi buttons and a really good low latency audio interface that works with my laptop and phone. It's even USB powered.

poo poo. this is the solution, isn't it. Thank you!

It's even got an exp pedal input, which I really want on the next setup. This is literally perfect for what I need.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
This is a stupid question but what exactly is the use case for FRFR cabinets? It seems like 99% of the time you could just plug directly into FoH live or into a computer/interface/studio monitors/headphones for practice and recording. I'm just a dumb hobbiest though, so I'm assuming I'm missing something since they seem so popular.

syntaxfunction posted:

If we're restarting the thread with a fresh OP I'd be happy to write up a bunch of stuff that might interest people, especially in terms of writing guitar parts. Things like complimentary chords and melodies (or counter), how to fit in a mix, etc.

Basically I talk a lot of poo poo about guitar (the goon discord can attest) and I'd be down to write some pieces for review if y'all would like.

This would be great. I'm a solidly intermediate player and this kind of stuff is helpful and kind of hard to come by in a useful format outside of one-on-one instruction

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jonny 290 posted:

poo poo. this is the solution, isn't it. Thank you!

It's even got an exp pedal input, which I really want on the next setup. This is literally perfect for what I need.

You’re welcome. I’ve only had mine for a few weeks but the build is really solid.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This is a stupid question but what exactly is the use case for FRFR cabinets? It seems like 99% of the time you could just plug directly into FoH live or into a computer/interface/studio monitors/headphones for practice and recording. I'm just a dumb hobbiest though, so I'm assuming I'm missing something since they seem so popular.

This isn't a dumb take at all. FRFR is a buzzword. Think of them instead as "a PA system for your amp sim rig." They're just PA monitors with some lipstick and eyeliner on the marketing copy. You can use them to throw a house party with a DJ rig, or set them up to play tunes in the park off a phone, orrrrrrrr plug your helix in and there's your 'guitar rig.' And if you're at a live show with a house PA, they're a known quantity for your floor monitor instead of using whatever plywood and sadness Peavey wedge the house has.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Jonny 290 posted:

And if you're at a live show with a house PA, they're a known quantity for your floor monitor instead of using whatever plywood and sadness Peavey wedge the house has.

I suppose that makes sense, although it seems like in-ears would be overall better. I don't know though, I don't play live. Seems to me one of the advantages of modelers is that you can eliminate some heavy gear and adding a special powered speaker cab defeats some of that.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also a FRFR speaker is probably more portable and better sounding if you wanna go to your buddies house and jam. My monitors are only 6.5" but a Headrush FRFR speaker is a single 12, so I'm just assuming that's better for jam environment. I think of them as the guitar amplifier version of studio monitors, minus the preamp of course.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 8, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Feels good, man. There is really nothing like it.

Saw a female-fronted cover band in NC get posted on tik tok, they conveniently didn’t pan over to the guitarist, so this must be Dr Faustus’ band.

[link removed because it might be an unwelcome dox]

duodenum fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 8, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I suppose that makes sense, although it seems like in-ears would be overall better. I don't know though, I don't play live. Seems to me one of the advantages of modelers is that you can eliminate some heavy gear and adding a special powered speaker cab defeats some of that.

the frfr's / powered monitors are so much lighter than guitar cabs, which generally just make up the difference by all being made out of insanely heavy 13/16" plywood or whatever. The monitors are very tote-able. I say, as i stare at this stupid rear end 600w ashdown bass 2x10 that requires me to lift for a couple days before I'm ready to even move it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also a normal cab is going to have it's own sound and not work with IRs as well as a FRFR cab, as far as I understand it. Plus you'd need a power amp to go along with it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Jonny 290 posted:

the frfr's / powered monitors are so much lighter than guitar cabs, which generally just make up the difference by all being made out of insanely heavy 13/16" plywood or whatever. The monitors are very tote-able. I say, as i stare at this stupid rear end 600w ashdown bass 2x10 that requires me to lift for a couple days before I'm ready to even move it.

Fair enough, I've never handled them and assumed they were as heavy as any other speaker cab, especially with an integrated amplifier.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also a normal cab is going to have it's own sound and not work with IRs as well as a FRFR cab, as far as I understand it. Plus you'd need a power amp to go along with it.

Right, yeah, that's kind of the reason to use them as I understand it. You can set up your own cab sims and virtual mic placement and whatever in the modeler and ideally the FRFR speakers will project it correctly. I just figured that since they are glorified PA speakers they would be largely redundant in most of the applications I was envisioning.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Alright y'all I'll try to start writing some stuff up for everyone, starting with same basic topics and going into the niche. Full disclaimer I'm not really a professional in that I have been paid for music stuff (and production more honestly) but it isn't a job or career.

So it's all just my opinions and knowledge I've cobbled together over my life playing. If it goes in a new thread feel free to edit the poo poo out of it lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Boss Katanas have come up a bunch, I think specifically This 50W Mk2 version for home practice? Just wanted to check, looks good to me and think it makes sense to give it a go before exploring effects further. Pretty good price new so I may drive over tomorrow and pick one up.

Super secondary- it's not going to have issues with being used as a bass amp as well is it? Not a deal-breaker at all but thought I best ask.

What's a good price for guitar lessons now BTW? I've found £30 per hour so far, £35 or so if I go for the one down the street instead of driving 10 mins.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 9, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm torn on what my next gear purchase should be. I kind of want to get another amp head (most likely a Marshall DSL100HR) but all this talk of modellers and effects units is making me want to pick up a Helix HX Effects box. I don't need the amp sim stuff but my old BOSS ME-25 is showing its age and modern DSP based effects boxes are so friggin nice. It looks like the HX Effects can be wired up with the four-cable method which could be super handy to run into my Mark V once Mesa tells me how to fix the effects loop in it.

I wish ol' mate BOSS would just fuckin throw the guts of the Katana into a pedalboard unit with a little touchscreen and the option to disable the amp modeler. That would absolutely rule.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's a good price for guitar lessons now BTW? I've found £30 per hour so far, £35 or so if I go for the one down the street instead of driving 10 mins.

Related: I’m keen to figure out how to find a good teacher! There seems to be heaps but not sure where to start…

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I wish ol' mate BOSS would just fuckin throw the guts of the Katana into a pedalboard unit with a little touchscreen and the option to disable the amp modeler. That would absolutely rule.

I *think* thats what these are:
https://www.boss.info/us/products/gt-1/

Idk about turning the modelling off though
e: and no touch screen lol. but it is katana guts!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Related: I’m keen to figure out how to find a good teacher! There seems to be heaps but not sure where to start…

My advice would be to ask people you know for recommendations. Otherwise, search in your local markets and give things a try. If you think you’ll learn and enjoy your time, great. If not, talk to them and move on if you still have doubts. One last bit of advice is to come with some ideas about what you want to work on too.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

massive spider posted:

I just find the LT really ugly but other than that theres no real benefit to the floor DSP wise.

A couple people on forums complain about the LTs expression pedal being more breakable than the floor.

The floors scribble strips are nice especially if you run a complex setup with a lot of automation tied to every switch (its nice having strips that just say VERSE/CHORUS/WHATEVER)

The floor has mic input and I think more loops if you want to integrate it into other equipment.

If my floor broke id probably survive with an LT but I wouldn't love it like the floor.

e; also something unrelated I just found out yesterdaythat I love on the helix: the looper/synth pad effect can keep playing while youre tuning so you dont have to tune silently like an awkward goon.

Were you the one I got to the moog factory for a FolkTek mescaline? I don't remember, it's been over a year but I was curious how the folktek has worked out for you. $500 for that was a steal.
EDIT: I am in the wrong thread, hah. sorry about that.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 9, 2022

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What I meant to come in here and say, I've throughly enjoyed having played guitar daily around large groups of people (at work). I went through a johnny b good thing and all the patients started clapping together in rhythm, there are lots of cool experiences like that every day. But it's helped my mind make new songs, because the only way I've ever played is making it all up, but experimenting with new tunings + an audience and I've came up with several "songs" that I love playing.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Malaria posted:

Probably could use some basic instructions for audio interfaces and plug-ins too and DAWs. Even if it's just "get a cheap Focusrite and use reaper".

If I was new guitar I'd think plug-ins are the way to go. I use them so much now.

If I had known guitar plugins had become so good I probably would have tried guitar sooner. I grabbed a cheap guitar and a few :filez: and it was like $200 to start playing. I already had an audio interface and daw experience though so I'm probably not a normal beginner.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been checking out guitar setup, I mean to do a few bits and pieces and I think I need to adjust the truss rod on my Gretsch. I've looked down it and the neck looks pretty much straight, I gather it should be very slightly concave? My Epiphone does seem to have a slight concave curve to it so can use that as a guide.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is a stupid question but what exactly is the use case for FRFR cabinets? It seems like 99% of the time you could just plug directly into FoH live or into a computer/interface/studio monitors/headphones for practice and recording.
I was listening to a Rhett Shull podcast some time ago and his take was that they're less directional than conventional stage monitors, which is useful if you're not using in-ears but want to move around on stage.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I hate the idea of in-ears but I may have to since I’m writing a set with a lot of sequenced tracks and the alternative is playing a click track through the frfr.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Got some toys, the HB Jazzmaster I may not do yet, need to figure how to cut the headstock. Tele is nice for the money, feels good in hand even if you'd never mistake it for something expensive. Pick guard is a bit bleh, very obviously a tortoise shell image printed on, but not a serious issue and fixable. Gig bag seems decent for a £15 upgrade with a cable.

And I picked up a Boss Katana, seems sweet already, even at .5 watts out of consideration for my neighbors. Definitely better getting my amp upgraded before effects.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Noise Machine posted:

Long time listener, first(ish) time poster itt

Wanted to talk about that last idea here, I'd argue it's more important to know your voicings inside and out if someone's playing in alt tunings. Ultimately I don't want to tell you what you *have* to do but your ear training is going to be the most important thing. Some voicings may just not work with the specific chord they're playing, and that's the way it goes.

i can't argue against the importance of knowing chord voicings inside and out. i'm used to being able to look at my jam partner's hands and use that to figure out what to play next, but that doesn't work if i've never played in the weird tuning.

As it turned out, i ended up using my ears more than my eyes, but playing very conservatively to start out with. Starting with just bass notes or power chords, then maybe some triads after a couple repetitions, once i knew what to expect. But most of the time, i just tried to improvise a nice melody that respects the chord changes.

My jam partner seemed unaccustomed to playing with others, so keeping time was a struggle. In this situation, i exaggerate my body movements in order to really embody whatever rhythm i was feeling, hoping he would entrain with me. Mixed results -- he was nervous lol. He'll get there, I remember being nervous before i learned to jam

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

playing jazz has really changed my style and made me confront some stuff and it’s all great now.

I wanna hear the new sound. Sounds like music school has been good for you -- are you meeting people you actually want to be around on purpose? i hope so.

Cheese Thief posted:

What I meant to come in here and say, I've throughly enjoyed having played guitar daily around large groups of people (at work). I went through a johnny b good thing and all the patients started clapping together in rhythm, there are lots of cool experiences like that every day. But it's helped my mind make new songs, because the only way I've ever played is making it all up, but experimenting with new tunings + an audience and I've came up with several "songs" that I love playing.

pretty cool to have those kinds of musical moments and use music to connect with others on the reg!

syntaxfunction posted:

Alright y'all I'll try to start writing some stuff up for everyone, starting with same basic topics and going into the niche. Full disclaimer I'm not really a professional in that I have been paid for music stuff (and production more honestly) but it isn't a job or career.

So it's all just my opinions and knowledge I've cobbled together over my life playing. If it goes in a new thread feel free to edit the poo poo out of it lol

sounds cool. the current OP has some good information, but it's out of date, and it tries too hard to be funny. would be nice to have something more up-to-date and with a better vibe

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i am meeting people i want to be around and actually we've talked about getting together and doing some stuff during the summer. i'm really close friends now with a super good drummer actually, and they like the sorta poo poo i do, so i'm going to get my scraps together/notated/organized, and let them pick something, and we'll finish it up.

https://vocaroo.com/1wjD0BMJeQdL

is an example of the stuff i find myself writing more of now, though, since then, i've started incorporating more 9s and 11s.

influence from michelle branch, modern baseball, and weezer

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah, I'm actually loving that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is really quite catchy. I’d love a chord chart to mess around with some of those chords myself, but no expectations there. Definitely jam with that drummer though.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

yeah there's more to come on that song. it didn't have any melodies, it's 3 weeks old at this point but this is the last week of school, so basically right after i did it, i went back to school that monday and it got serious as finals approached.

lead work needs to be done on it to make the breakdowns a little more interesting, and of course, it needs vocals and lyrics, but i've gotten much better at writing melodies that are actually worth a drat over the last couple months.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I hope I didn’t mess up, but I’m getting a custom axe. The factory that makes the bad cat guitars (which are great) also does custom orders so I’m having them put together an lp but with a Tele neck. The lp body is the most comfy for me but my Tele is easier to play with the low radius. It was under $300 so we’ll see how it goes. If you goons are interested, I’ll post pics when it gets here or I get an update. They make “replicas” but I asked for a blank headstock although I thought one of the big names on it would be funny

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Have them put a Schecter or BC Rich logo on it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Put Casio or Moog on it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

I hope I didn’t mess up, but I’m getting a custom axe. The factory that makes the bad cat guitars (which are great) also does custom orders so I’m having them put together an lp but with a Tele neck. The lp body is the most comfy for me but my Tele is easier to play with the low radius. It was under $300 so we’ll see how it goes. If you goons are interested, I’ll post pics when it gets here or I get an update. They make “replicas” but I asked for a blank headstock although I thought one of the big names on it would be funny

Regular LP stock with a Fender logo probably funniest, but that sounds interesting, obviously the body is immediately associated with a 3x3 so curious how it will look with an inline. Preemptive :justpost:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

stoopidmunkey posted:

I hope I didn’t mess up, but I’m getting a custom axe. The factory that makes the bad cat guitars (which are great) also does custom orders

Do you know offhand if they'll do any baritone stuff? i love my long scale bullshit

29 or 30" tele would make me squeal

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Anyone have any good ideas for where you can get those rubber band strap things for a guitar stand? I have an old double-stand and one of the bands is just about rotted through.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Anyone have any good ideas for where you can get those rubber band strap things for a guitar stand? I have an old double-stand and one of the bands is just about rotted through.

I think finding the part will be pretty tricky. On-Stage has a part for something similar, but none are available: https://on-stage.com/products/view/10586

I think you might have to settle for a substitute like a nice rubber band or a scrunchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hello and welcome to the guitar thread! Chances are you are familiar with the types of sounds that come out of guitars. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6t829uDfo&ab_channel=GuitarSalonInternational

or this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvo-4x3y9aU&ab_channel=CarterVintageGuitars

or this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU-vvlFvzuk&ab_channel=ATOMICPUNK27

The Wiki says posted:

The guitar is a fretted musical instrument that typically has six strings. It is held flat against the player's body and played by strumming or plucking the strings with the dominant hand, while simultaneously pressing selected strings against frets with the fingers of the opposite hand. A plectrum or individual finger picks may also be used to strike the strings. The sound of the guitar is projected either acoustically, by means of a resonant chamber on the instrument, or amplified by an electronic pickup and an amplifier.

But you’re not here to read a wiki, you’re here to argue about amplifiers talk about the most versatile musical instrument in human history. Let’s get you going:

There are three broad categories of guitar: nylon-string acoustic, steel-string acoustic, and electric. I’ll give three very basic rules for buying your first guitar:

1. If it feels good to hold and sounds good, it’s a good instrument to start playing on. Do your best to sit down with an instrument before you buy it. Your hands will show you the way.
2. When you close your eyes and imagine yourself happily playing a guitar, what are you playing? That's the instrument you should start on. The “easiest” guitar to learn on is the one you’re most excited to pick up and practice.
3. When in doubt, decide your budget then go out and buy the best Yamaha you can afford. They make universally praised instruments at every price. A $300 Yamaha is going to be on-par with as good as you can do for $300. Same for $200 and $500.

Nylon-string Acoustic
Typically associated with classical music, they can also work well for simpler strumming. Warm and mellow, they are the naturally quietest of the guitar family and will most-often be amplified through a separate microphone. Looks like this:

Starting out, brands to look for are Yamaha and Cordoba (particularly the C5). You’ll see them in either Spruce-top or Cedar-top: Spruce is a little snappier, Cedar is a little warmer. Do not put steel strings on your nylon-string guitar, you will destroy your instrument.

Steel-string Acoustic
What most people will immediately picture when you say “acoustic,” the steel-string guitar took over the guitar world in the early 20th century, in large part to being much louder than its nylon cousin. Sometimes still amplified through a microphone, often now even inexpensive models will come with on-board systems for plugging into an amp. It’s played across all types of music and comes in several common body sizes. Looks like this:

Starting out, brands to look for are Yamaha, Epiphone, Alvarez, and Ibanez. The big, well-known step-up brands are Taylor and Martin. Examples of common sizes are Dreadnought (big and boomy), Orchestra or OM (slightly smaller and may be more comfortable, particularly seated), and Parlor (couch guitars, the quietest and smallest).

If you are buying for a smaller learner, it’s important for them to sit with instruments. A giant Dread might look great on Johnny Cash standing on stage, but you may personally seriously struggle with one on your lap on the couch. Smaller guitars are not worse guitars.

In general, it’s much more important when buying an acoustic guitar to put your hands on it first. You’d be amazed how different they can sound in person. If you can strum 2-3 chords, you can tell in 30 seconds whether an acoustic is going to work for you.

Electric
You’re most likely very familiar here. The fun thing is, modern production techniques have made inexpensive guitars pretty amazing. Ask yourself, “what shape guitar does my favorite guitar player play?” Then go play one that shape. Chances are you’ll be happy!

Looks like this:

And sometimes like this:

Cool!

Starting out, brands to look for are Squier, Epiphone, Ibanez, and Yamaha (particularly the Pacifica line).

BUT WAIT!

Your electric guitar will need an amplifier. There’s a LOT of ground to cover here, but as a pure starter I’ll just echo the thread advice. Buy a Boss Katana. There are plenty of other contenders at this price, but nothing as good. Buy a Katana. If that doesn’t suit you, come ask the thread what to do. Say out loud, “The OP told me to buy a Boss Katana but I don’t want to do that for some reason. What else should I buy?”

If you want an amp specifically for headphones, buy a Fender Mustang Micro.

If you want to plug directly into your computer and play through a multi-FX type system, see the FAQ below.

If you want to spend big-person money on something with tubes, take a guitar you are intimately familiar with into a big box store and plug in. Again, your ears will lead your way.

The best way to learn quickly and properly is to get a teacher. Most studios will offer you a trial lesson off contract then ask you to commit for a semester. Find a teacher you vibe with and who listens when you tell them what you want play. If your dream is to play Metallica, don’t stick with a teacher who insists you run through the 1-2-3 Berklee Method first. A good teacher leads you on the path you WANT to be on.

The next best way to start out is the internet, which has gotten pretty dang good at this. The biggest name in the beginning guitar YouTube game is Justin.

https://www.youtube.com/c/justinguitar

There are plenty of others, but be wary as a beginner: guitar YouTube can be a slippery slope of gear lust. If the channel spends more time talking about the gear they’re playing than the music they’re playing, don’t get too wrapped up. There are plenty of great channels, and not every gear-head channel is specifically and directly guitar QVC, but be aware that many are.

Then, there’s books! Books are great. I’ve done more learning from a properly put together book than I have a million YouTube pedal videos.

Every Hal Leonard method book I’ve ever picked up has been thoughtfully laid out, well written, and useful. They feature real music, tab notation, and steady but slow advancement.

The aforementioned Berklee Modern Method 1-2-3 is great IF you can read music and IF you are more interested in getting good at playing than getting good at specific songs.

Here are the things you absolutely must be willing to learn to enjoy your guitar.

1. How to tune it (buy a proper tuner, not just your phone).
2. How and when to change strings (all 3 types use different strings and change them differently).
3. How and when to humidify your acoustic guitars (see FAQ below).

Here are the things that are easier than you might imagine to do yourself if you are handy enough to turn a screwdriver the right direction.

1. Measure and adjust the height of your electric guitar strings (your “action”).
2. Measure and adjust your truss rod (your “relief”).
3. Measure and adjust your electric guitar pickup height.
4. Tune and adjust your intonation.

Here are some thing that you may talk yourself into doing, and will probably be OK at.

1. Adjusting the action on your acoustic guitar.
2. Swapping around the pickups and wiring on your solid-body electric guitar.

Here are some things nobody would ever blame you for going to a trusted luthier for.

1. Honestly, anything in the prior category.
2. Filing your frets.
3. Filing your nut.
4. Anything electrical inside a hollow-body electric guitar.
5. Properly repairing any type of serious damage.

Let me draw you a picture.

Guitar-enjoying Person posted:

I’ve have been playing guitar for a few months and I’m loving it! The problem is, I’m sitting at work and my guitar is at home. Boy, I wish I could be playing guitar. So I’ll do the next best thing, and that’s start reading forums and watching YouTube videos about guitar. And all of a sudden … I love my Tele but that Strat sounds really sweet. A lot of the music I love comes out of a Strat. Do … do I also need a Strat? And that guy’s T-shirt says I also need a Les Paul, but I played a buddy’s Les Paul and it was pretty heavy, maybe what I really want is an SG. Angus Young plays an SG!

And this amp is fine, but everyone talks about how nice tube amps are. But if I dump my solid-state amp for tubes, I’m going to need to build out a pedal board …

You’ll hear around the internet the term “GAS” or “Gassing”. It’s an acronym that stands for

Gear
Acquisition
Syndrome

And it’s a slippery slope to unhappiness, particularly in adult high-beginner, low-intermediate players. You’ve got enough music in your fingers, money in the bank, and time on your hands to fall down a dozen different rabbit holes of what you “need” to get exactly the sound that’s in your head. You can’t get better sitting there at work bored, but maybe you can get better by shopping.

The truth is, you almost certainly don’t need new gear. You don’t need new pickups. You don’t need a boutique pedal. You need to get off YouTube. All of that stuff has its place, but when you’re starting out you need an instrument that doesn’t fight against you and an amp that noise comes out of and has some effects built into it.

You have to realize the difference between being unhappy with your gear and just being homesick for the gear you have. Upgrading your $50 Tube Screamer clone into some $400 discontinued JHS pedal isn’t going to make you a better guitar player.

Wait, humidity?
Yep. Guitars are made of wood and wood is essentially a sponge. It is constantly absorbing and letting off water from the environment, swelling and contracting, breathing with the seasons.

If you live in a stable environment, humidity-wise, you may be OK. But many of us live in places that get cold (and dry) in the winter and hot (and humid) in the summer. This causes your guitar (specifically and particularly acoustic, both types) to shift, grow, and shrink.

This can push you out of tune once or twice a season and mess with your neck relief, but those are small setup issues. The real problem is your guitar can AND WILL crack. Often lengthwise down the top or back. This is fixable by a professional luthier if your instrument is worth fixing, but it’s easier to care for your guitar properly.

A guitar in a case is a sad guitar, but a hard-shell case is a much more stable environment than hanging on a wall. There are various types of solutions to humidifying your guitars, from special humidity packs to sponges you soak. If you have a VERY nice instrument and live in a VERY unstable climate, it’s not insane to keep a hygrometer in your case. Much like your house, 40%-60% humidity is good. Anything outside that you may need to take measures.

Humidity control: It’s Not A Scam.

Should I pay for a setup?
In general … maybe.

A setup is when you take your guitar to a professional luthier, and that person will go over it for about an hour doing things like lowing your string action at the nut, adjusting your intonation and relief, adjusting your action at the bridge, and potentially spot levelling a high fret or two and fixing any sharp frets poking out around your fingerboard. A setup will take a guitar you enjoy and dial it in and make it comfortable. It’s more akin to a day at the spa than a week in the hospital. Be prepared to answer the question, “What about your guitar bothers you?”

In the course of this, your luthier may discover bigger problems (such as your guitar needing a complete fret overhaul or serious electronic issues) that require more time to fix.

Prices fluctuate, of course, regionally and with time. But as of 2022, expect a professional setup to cost somewhere in the $80-120 range.

Tell me about playing directly into my computer.
This is important, and lots of people do it! But I don’t know enough about it to lead your way. Someone else will hopefully write it soon, and I’ll replace this blurb with a link to their post.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 18, 2022