Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I did the bouquet toss only because I didn’t want it anymore and I wanted chaos, so my friend got stuck with it instead :j:

I had also used it to sword fight with my maid of honor earlier so it was pretty busted up.

I liked my wedding, heh.

Edit: I snipe, therefore I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Remember those sky dancer dolls? Y'know, the ones where you rev up the fairy dolls and they fly up and float down using propellers and slice up kids' faces? Let's repurpose those and stick the bouquets onto the dolls so all of the flowers rain down and assault the guests.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

DemoneeHo posted:

Remember those sky dancer dolls? Y'know, the ones where you rev up the fairy dolls and they fly up and float down using propellers and slice up kids' faces? Let's repurpose those and stick the bouquets onto the dolls so all of the flowers rain down and assault the guests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba25S_AqGRo

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DemoneeHo posted:

Is there a country where being 18 years old does not make you a legal adult?

It's 16 in Scotland and 20 in Japan.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One of the bridal extras people can do nowadays is a special "throw bouquet" so that the original can be kept pretty and pristine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My LDR partner wants his “Best Person” at our wedding to be his best friend, who’s female, cheats on her husband, and has to lie to her husband to hang out with my partner.

quote:

Ya so im 27F. No kids, never been married. He is 35M, a toddler, divorced. - his ex cheated on him. We both attend regular therapy separately for some time and have considered seeing a couples therapist monthly to work with LDR issues. However, this isn’t a huge priority right now.

Love of my life, and has given me no reason to believe he would cheat on me. However, I can’t control that from thousands of miles away and I accept that.

Last night he mentioned how he spoke to his best friend (Amanda - changed) about how their birthdays are coming up and they want to celebrate. He said she would need to find a reason to hang out “because her husband doesn’t like her going out at night, especially alone with a dude.”

He then mentioned that he spoke to Amanda about how if he potentially got married again, he would ask her to be his “best person”, to which she was flattered and similarly responded, saying she would need to find a way.

He asked me how I felt about that, and I responded with saying “Well, Amanda isn’t exactly my favourite person in the first place and I have never thought about it.” He said he’d be open to talking about it more because he would love to hear my feedback, I agreed.

I know Amanda has been a great friend to him, and is his confidant. She has been supportive and helpful to him in our LDR.

But where I feel uncomfortable is:
  • she actively cheats on her husband
  • shes the only person he mentions ever hanging out with outside of work
  • when i ask how their hangouts go, I dont get a lot of information. He says they talk a lot about work, and their lives, but thats more or less the extent
  • shes his boss
  • before I was in the picture, and when they first got to know each other (a little over 2 years), he said they “flirted and explored the idea of each other but when they kissed, both realized there were no sparks.”
  • she has to lie to her husband to hang out with him
  • he had a sexual relationship with another coworker who was married (still is married but obviously that ended a while ago before us).
I just feel like someone who lies and cheats on their husband actively isn’t someone I would want as his “Best Person.” And I hate that he has had two relationships (one friendship still with Amanda) where he has been the other person in their infidelity.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, and I am sure we will talk about it soon - our communication is pretty good. But am I overthinking here?

EDIT: he also feels bad for her, and it feels like cheating has been so normalized in his life.

EDIT2: We are not engaged or planning to be engaged any time soon. My partner posed this as a hypothetical question and my conflict is how I felt about it. My apologies for the poor title.
:stare:
Gotta agree with one commenter here:

quote:

There's an elephant in the room and you're checking out the curtains.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

r/relationships: He is 35M, a toddler, divorced.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The best way to piss off posters who talk about their "LDR" is to ask them to define it: you live an hour apart and see each other most weekends? Nope, never that one. You met once or twice on vacation/work trip and never regularly see each other, have no concrete plans to each other in the immediate future? Yep, most times it's that one. And then you have the never mets, who are talking about marriage.

Somehow the last two don't see the difference from the first kind.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One of the bridal extras people can do nowadays is a special "throw bouquet" so that the original can be kept pretty and pristine.

A throwquet???

:agesilaus:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My LDR partner wants his “Best Person” at our wedding to be his best friend, who’s female, cheats on her husband, and has to lie to her husband to hang out with my partner.

:stare:

quote:

Love of my life, and has given me no reason to believe he would cheat on me

Ah, another surprised pikachu face appears in my crystal ball

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

The best way to piss off posters who talk about their "LDR" is to ask them to define it: you live an hour apart and see each other most weekends? Nope, never that one. You met once or twice on vacation/work trip and never regularly see each other, have no concrete plans to each other in the immediate future? Yep, most times it's that one. And then you have the never mets, who are talking about marriage.

The comments encouraged looking at her history:

OP, a month ago, answering 'Do you think meeting your partner was "destiny"?' posted:

gently caress ya. I met this dude in a god drat VR chat, a game I absolutely never would have played if Covid didn’t happen. And then I created a discord for my twitch channel and a whole family was created. Fast forward to last August where 8 of us all met in San Francisco. I was dating my now-ex at the time and my partner and I instantly clicked in person. Fast forward again to February where we both admitted we had feelings.

I have literally never experienced any love like this in my life. I am 27(F) and have never done LDR and god drat I never will cause he is my person. I feel so lucky to have met him, and him I. It feels like destiny. It may as well be. It’s the best destiny.

A freakin public lobby in VR chat. VR CHAT.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Motronic posted:

The best way to piss off posters who talk about their "LDR" is to ask them to define it: you live an hour apart and see each other most weekends?

That's less of an LDR and more of a "dating in a city with traffic."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Motronic posted:

My husband and I spent years only getting to see each other twice a year since we met online and lived in different countries. Against all odds we managed to make it work and after like ten loving years we managed to move him to Canada and we're working on immigration :unsmith:

It's not really here nor there, and I know we're an extreme outlier, I just like talking about my husband. I bought him an SA account and he still married me lmao

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not letting the kids go alone to see their dad in his homecountry?

Is there a country where being 18 years old does not make you a legal adult?

My stab in the dark is that she resents ex for leaving and is using the kids to punish him.

My adult children cant see sick dad because foreign is scary is a more terrifying route imo.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

datajugend posted:

My stab in the dark is that she resents ex for leaving and is using the kids to punish him.

My adult children cant see sick dad because foreign is scary is a more terrifying route imo.

Yeah, it's not like they are young children going to a country that would not return them to the US when asked

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

CitizenKain posted:

At a cousin's wedding, the bride pretty much picked out the person she was going to throw the bouquet to, and then pitched it right at them like a fast ball. Way more entertaining.

I can't stop snickering at the mental image of a bride doing the bouquet toss like she is a baseball player calling her shot.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for being annoyed with my wife for not telling me she was going for the same promotion as me?

quote:

My wife and I are both in our 30s. We have been married for 7 years and we have three children together. When we first got engaged my wife was unhappy with her job and left to pursue her passion. We had a position open in the company I work for that matched what she was looking for and I mentioned it to her if she wanted to apply. She did and she got the job. And for the last 9 years she has talked about the job positively at home. She progressed in her field and we were both at the same level in our various career paths when two job promotions became available for both of us. She was going to be a team head for her department and I was going to be the same for mine. I was the only person in the running for the promotion when the chance appeared and we had it open for two weeks in case there were any other candidates interested. Without ever mentioning it to me my wife decided she didn't want the promotion within her department. She told me she had applied when she actually applied for the department I am in, which is the type of job she was so unhappy with and left almost a decade ago. She got the promotion instead of me. And I would be happy for her normally. But I do not like how she handled it.

I found out her boss was more than happy to see her move because she was not good to work with and she had been very critical of the job the whole time. Our departments don't particularly interact so I never knew this until after she got the promotion. When she realized I wasn't celebrating with her she accused me of being sexist and hating that she's better for the job than I am. I told her it was the fact she blindsided me, lied to my face and then hearing that she was stuck in this job she apparently hated while telling me the opposite and going out of her way to make sure I didn't find any of this out while making a bad name for herself in the other department.

I have to say I have hated how she treats me now that she is my team leader. So not only is working together a nightmare but at home we are not getting along either. And she's deeply unhappy with what she sees as my bad attitude toward her success.

AITA?

Quotes from OP:

About couples in the work place.

quote:

The company knows and they don't have that policy in place anymore. When I first started they did but they removed it because there are a few couples who work together. Others are at the same level.

quote:

I have considered leaving. I don't feel like it can work anymore. And I have been in my field since I started working professionally. I'm not like my wife who switched. So this is it for me. I'm good at what I do and I like what I do. But I'm not happy at my job like I once was.

quote:

I'm already reconsidering working here. Because regardless of what happens I don't think the outcome will be healthy like this. And I would prefer to remove any extra tension and drama for the sake of my kids if nothing else. Because this hasn't been healthy for our marriage or for the professional relationship.

Husband: I'm going to go for this promotion!

Wife:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

I can't stop snickering at the mental image of a bride doing the bouquet toss like she is a baseball player calling her shot.

Now I just want to know what the equivalent of a bunt it for throwing the bouquet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Now I just want to know what the equivalent of a bunt it for throwing the bouquet.

That makes no sense, the bride's already gotten to first base at that point

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

That makes no sense, the bride's already gotten to first base at that point

So who's the bride?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kuros posted:

AITA for being annoyed with my wife for not telling me she was going for the same promotion as me?

Quotes from OP:

About couples in the work place.

Husband: I'm going to go for this promotion!

Wife:

lol that's really hosed up

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for sending my coworker into anaphylactic shock?

quote:

I'm at a loss here guys. Realistically, I know I'm in the clear. Legally, I'm in the clear. But I'm being vilified by my coworkers, and I'm genuinely considering quitting my job because of this mess.

So I work a pretty standard day job, and at night I help my friend at her restaurant, which serves an assortment of Thai cuisine. Tbh I'm insanely picky, but I fell in love with this peanut sauce the main chef makes, and he showed me how to make it, so about once a week I take it on either noodles or stir fry to my day job for lunch. People know this and a handful have tried it. It smells nutty, it tastes nutty. It's white girl pad Thai, basically.

Lately my lunches have been disappearing, or I'll open my lunchbox to find half of my food missing. I've tried addressing it, but nothing has been changing, and I was pretty sure it was one of the new hires that was doing it, but had no proof. Until now.

Thursday I took my noodles, and my entire tupperware was missing, which hasn't happened before. I'm pissed, but what can I do? A coworker shared her pizza with me and that was that, until today. My boss confronted me and accused me of poisoning my noodles because his daughter (one of the new girls) "borrowed" my lunch and had to be hospitalized. Turns out she's severely allergic to nuts, ate some and boom. Anaphylaxis. She used an epi pen, had to be hospitalized and now her dad is trying to hold me accountable for her bills and condition, but I don't see it. Why should I pay? I don't mark my food as an allergen because I'm not allergic to it, she was just dumb enough to steal from me and eat something she can't have.

But he's being hateful, and some of my older coworkers are icing me out because I warned him I'd report any harassment to HR if he tried anything funny. Brown nosers, I guess. My friend is aware and offered me a full time job, but I just can't help but feel it's unfair. At the same time, I could have killed his daughter tho... So, AITA?

*sighs, flips sign back to "IT HAS BEEN 000 DAYS SINCE OUR LAST WORKPLACE FOOD THEFT POISONING"*

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mycelia posted:

It may well make me an rear end in a top hat, but I picked up some sign language from my wife (she uses it with the non-verbal kids she teaches) and it's just a really useful form of communication even though we're both hearing. Don't want to be overheard*? Sick of yelling across a room/over loud music? Just don't feel like talking? Sign language has you covered.

In any case I reckon OP's NTA. She had a sore throat so she couldn't talk to them anyway!

People get weirdly hostile to the suggestion that kids be taught a non-verbal language in school, for all the, what I assumed would be obvious, benefits. The loudest response are usually people arguing there aren't enough deaf people to even consider trying to spend money teaching kids to talk to them. First of all, suggestion has nothing to do with talking to deaf people and everything to do with the fact that it would be useful to communicate with other people non-verbally. gently caress, just being able to sign a drink order at a bartender at a concert would be a blessing. But no, can never suggest improving education, especially not if it might inadvertently improve the world for someone else for even a moment.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Foo Diddley posted:

*sighs, flips sign back to "IT HAS BEEN 000 DAYS SINCE OUR LAST WORKPLACE FOOD THEFT POISONING"*

No you didn't almost kill his daughter you dummy, she tried to commit suicide by lunch

Why the hell would you eat random food if you had such a severe allergy to something so common? Can only assume boss's bloodline contains terminal stupidity

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

Love too steal other people's food when I have a life-threatening food allergy.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I'll never understand how people defend the food stealers, no matter how severe the consequences of their theft. When boss is screaming about making OP pay, if OP asks, "But why did she eat my lunch?" what is he going to say? It doesn't matter, the important part is that she almost died? "Yeah, but why was she eating my lunch? Without asking me, without checking what was in it, without any loving courtesy, decency, or common sense, why was she eating my lunch?"

It's what daughter gets for stealing other people's food and what boss gets for not teaching his daughter not to take poo poo that doesn't belong to her.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Foo Diddley posted:

I hope all the comments are just "holy poo poo get HR involved you loving moron" because holy poo poo get HR involved you loving moron.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

B-Rock452 posted:

I hope all the comments are just "holy poo poo get HR involved you loving moron" because holy poo poo get HR involved you loving moron.

Almost to the letter, yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well it should be obvious why the boss is defending his daughter.

The fact others are joining in is more confusing

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well it should be obvious why the boss is defending his daughter.

The fact others are joining in is more confusing

No it isn't. They're the older ones in the office

bootlickers and deference to authority

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah the older folks are gonna be all, how DARE she use the resources available to her to resolve this

she should quietly suffer so as not to embarass her boss

how rude of her

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
They're just pissed the white girl pad thai is spicier than mayonnaise

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like the boss's claim that his daughter was just "borrowing" the lunch too. What was she gonna do, regurgitate it for OP like a mother bird when she was done with it?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like the boss's claim that his daughter was just "borrowing" the lunch too. What was she gonna do, regurgitate it for OP like a mother bird when she was done with it?

put the tupperware back in the break room fridge with a big ol log in it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's because the word "borrow" is the first thing that comes to mind when one attempts to defend themselves from obvious theft. It doesn't matter what it is, either. Food, jewelry, vehicles, medication, package deliveries, etc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Severely allergic to peanut
Steals lunches of unknown people with unknown people.

It is the victim of theft that is monster here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

gently caress, just being able to sign a drink order at a bartender at a concert would be a blessing. But no, can never suggest improving education, especially not if it might inadvertently improve the world for someone else for even a moment.

My daughter goes to a school that includes a technical institute for the deaf, so they are way, way friendly to this type of thing. I never considered anything like what you said there until I was at one of their hockey games where they were giving out shirts and people were just signing "S" "M" or "L" and getting shirts thrown at them instead of waiting in line. I was glad I still remembered how to sign most of the alphabet from high school.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
AITA for cancelling mother's day celebration that I arranged for my wife after hearing what she told my son?

quote:

I (M/37) have a 13 y.o son. I was a widower when I met my now wife. She has a 16 y.o daughter from another relationship. The family is often on pretty good terms. My son is the quiet one in the house, he keeps to himself a lot but not to the point of being concerning. My wife and stepdaughter are the complete opposit. They both encourage him to be outgoing and share activities and join gatherings with extended family. My son complained about having to be forced out of his comfort zone and having his need for space invalidated. I spoke to both my wife and stepdaughter and asked them to give him space and freedom to spend his time however he wanted. They apologized and promised to let him be.

As mother's day was approaching I wanted to throw my wife a surprise mother's day celebration. It was no longer a surprise because my stepdaughter gave her the heads so she could prepare. Yesterday I got off work earlier than usual to get final arrangements done (we planned to celebrate at the restaurant and invited her family there) I had the key and while I was entering the house through the front door I overheard my wife and stepdaughter talking to my son. My wife was asking my son if he could convince me to let him stay home and not go with them to the restaurant to celebrate. I paused and decided to keep listening. My son said why and she told him that his introverted and socially inept "attitude" will make her family uncomfortable and will ruin the mood. He promised her that he'd be well behaved and would try to interact and socialize with everyone but she said that she wasn't buying it. He kept reassuring her but she snapped and told him that technically, she's not his mom so she didn't get why he wanted to celebrate mother's day with her so badly. My stepdaughter threw some (I don't remember) backhanded comment and then both of them were shocked to see me standing there. Both were staring without saying anything. I told my son and his stepsister to go to their rooms then told my wife that the celebration was off, cancelled. she tried to argue asking why repeatedly and I told her why. She tried to explain that she didn't mean it like that and that I only heard part of the conversation but not all of it. I told her I was done arguing and the decision was already made. She yelled asking what she was going to tell her family and said that I was making tremendous mistake towards her.

I ignored her while she kept throwing tantrum after a tantrum. Early this morning she took my stepdaughter and went to stay with her folks. not a single call or text from her so far. Situation is full of tension. I'm upset still but more hurt to be honest. I mean yes I did say I was going to havw this celebration but I thought that what she said to my son was too harsh to ignore.

A Good Dad.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trickybiscuits posted:

AITA for cancelling mother's day celebration that I arranged for my wife after hearing what she told my son?

A Good Dad.

it seems like the good dads are a bit rarer than the good moms ITT, but i'm not sure if i'm being objective here

anyway, gently caress it; protect your kids whoever you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

kalel posted:

you're reading a thread that specifically selects for scum, remember

sometimes it's about not jeopardizing the beans