Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's the most expensive isekai ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
well yeah it's blue dances with wolves

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I never saw Avatar in theaters so it's always been "yeah it was OK I guess" to me.

Avatar Land at Disney has alcoholic bubble tea though, that was pretty good the one time I was there.

Dasar
Apr 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
respect to james cameron for committing to the absolute most boring idea possible and never giving up. at least it's not cape poo poo though

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I never saw Avatar in theaters so it's always been "yeah it was OK I guess" to me.

Avatar Land at Disney has alcoholic bubble tea though, that was pretty good the one time I was there.

was it like coke and the bubbles were filled with rum because that sounds awesome

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I remember seeing Avatar in theatre. Not so much the movie but playing blacklight putt putt afterwards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

was it like coke and the bubbles were filled with rum because that sounds awesome

I think it was more like a margarita with sort gummies in it, this was 2017 and I don't really remember the details. Your idea sounds rad though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

Avatar's popularity makes a lot more sense when you realize it's about a white guy escaping his whiteness in a manner that still preserves the privilege and adulation he feels entitled to

Proving to a race/culture that you're "one of the good ones" so hard that they grant you honorary membership is the ultimate white guy fantasy - season 2 of Eastbound and Down is the best version of this story

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

CNN reported that the film's universe has had a profound effect on the audience over their perception of Earth, and life on it, in reality. Avatar Forums posted a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible" which received "1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope" (a second thread was posted for more room). Philippe Baghdassarian, the site administrator, commented "I wasn't depressed myself. In fact, the movie made me happy, but I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed." Many have confessed to falling to depression and harboring suicidal thoughts, while others have expressed disgust towards humanity and "disengagement with reality." Psychiatrist Dr. Stephan Quentzel added that "Virtual life is not real life and it never will be, but this is the pinnacle of what we can build in a virtual presentation so far."[14]

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They gave him an F-word pass (the F-word is "furry")

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"A man who has seen the things I've seen, who has experienced the loss and pain I've experienced? I transcend species, hombre"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*sticks ponytail into other ponytail, eyes glowing* sorry about your homies......homey

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dances With Homies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Avatar technology is based on the brain transplant technology from Get Out

same cinematic universe

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Arivia posted:

Elminster gets given a bad rap. He's not perfect (his wife is his now-grown foster daughter essentially) but he's much better than the internet's reputation of the character is overall.

wait the elminster guy who showed up in baldur's gate a couple times is fantasy woody allen?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watched a double feature on LSD a year ago, starting with pixar's soul followed by avatar. soul scared the absolute loving poo poo out of me, and the soothing blues and greens of avatar brought me back from the ledge. i don't remember anything about it but i think the catgirl was hot. the end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
yiz should start watching movies while sober

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

wait the elminster guy who showed up in baldur's gate a couple times is fantasy woody allen?

that's being unfair to woody allen imo

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

mastershakeman posted:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Proving to a race/culture that you're "one of the good ones" so hard that they grant you honorary membership is the ultimate white guy fantasy - season 2 of Eastbound and Down is the best version of this story

When Marco Polo learns Kung Fu in that Netflix show

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

When Sean Connery's Bond became a Japanese man.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

marco polo was a good show

Also the only time he uses his kungfu training he gets absolutely demolished by jia sidao and hundred eyes has to bail out his stupid rear end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bro Dad posted:

marco polo was a good show

Also the only time he uses his kungfu training he gets absolutely demolished by jia sidao and hundred eyes has to bail out his stupid rear end

yeah that poo poo ruled. great scene, decent show, I want more Benedict Wong

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I couldn't stand Marco Polo but I will try to give it another shake at some point I guess

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

indigi posted:

it isn’t solely the power requirements that make individual car ownership ecologically devastating, mass battery/tire/oil/specialized part production and disposal is wildly polluting. unless of course we develop a fully recyclable vehicle with frictionless internal parts non-chemical power storage and rocket braking along with a “green” synthetic replacement for rubber that can be mass produced, which is why I mentioned unforeseen technological breakthroughs

Gonna tape some bottle rockets to the hood of my truck to save the planet

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Buck Wildman posted:

I couldn't stand Marco Polo but I will try to give it another shake at some point I guess

don’t bother it’s not that good

I just started The Man Who Fell To Earth on Showtime cause it stars Chiwetel Ejiofor and Naomi Harris who both own. show is a little disjointed halfway into the first episode

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

mastershakeman posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "SOBER UP" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never sober up

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed Netflix's Kublai Khan show which they accidentally called "Marco Polo".

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Buck Wildman posted:

it sucks

if they literally never introduced Marco Polo and it was just a show called Khan starring Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan it could have been good but it was doomed from the start

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

oh well that's vindicating then

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Started rewatching Vice Principals after someone mentioned it itt. It's still very funny, going to do Eastbound and Down next.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arivia posted:

Elminster gets given a bad rap. He's not perfect (his wife is his now-grown foster daughter essentially) but he's much better than the internet's reputation of the character is overall.

Sorry, but I'm a Elminster hater.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Started rewatching Vice Principals after someone mentioned it itt. It's still very funny, going to do Eastbound and Down next.

2 masterpieces of television

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yarp.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

i say swears online posted:

watched a double feature on LSD a year ago, starting with pixar's soul followed by avatar. soul scared the absolute loving poo poo out of me, and the soothing blues and greens of avatar brought me back from the ledge. i don't remember anything about it but i think the catgirl was hot. the end

I watched You Me and Dupree while tripping when I was 19 and concocted a whole separate narrative in my head about how Dupree and the dad were actually one person and the entire thing was a metaphor for the contradictory and unachievable expectations placed on men as they age. Was fully in tears by the time the credits rolled. Good times lol.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

reminder that elminster invented an entire society of people that are basically the pnac attack guy in the anarchist thread and are treated like the most heroic figures in the setting everyone should aspire to join

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You should watch maybe two or three episodes of Marco Polo because it was an incredibly expensive production and you see it all onscreen. The costuming and sets are great even if the show itself isn't good.

Speaking of period piece series, I watched Fall of Eagles over the weekend and drat what a great show. It runs from the 1850s to 1918 and focuses on Austria-Hungary, Germany, and especially Russia during that period. The casting and production values are top tier and for the most part they did their homework in terms of historical accuracy. Curt Jurgens as Bismarck and Patrick Stewart as Lenin steal the show, but there are tons of great performances. To my surprise the show did a fairly faithful treatment of Lenin and the struggles around the RSDLP. They still do some goofy poo poo to paint Lenin as selfishly power-hungry and they make up some dialog here and there, but I got the impression their primary source for his episodes was Nadezhda Krupskaya's memoirs which is about as sympathetic a source as you could use.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 10, 2022

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

TheSlutPit posted:

I watched You Me and Dupree while tripping when I was 19 and concocted a whole separate narrative in my head about how Dupree and the dad were actually one person and the entire thing was a metaphor for the contradictory and unachievable expectations placed on men as they age. Was fully in tears by the time the credits rolled. Good times lol.

lol this is great

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

reminder that elminster invented an entire society of people that are basically the pnac attack guy in the anarchist thread and are treated like the most heroic figures in the setting everyone should aspire to join

what the gently caress are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm irritated that I live in a timeline where the original TNG cast is reuniting for a new season of Trek and, because of how bad Picard is, I do not give a poo poo.