Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This looks like it will be totally even handed and cover the actual risks and actual damages and lasting effects and not just trying to cash in on HBO's Chernobyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAOIH8HRdDo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Dameius posted:

This looks like it will be totally even handed and cover the actual risks and actual damages and lasting effects and not just trying to cash in on HBO's Chernobyl.

Oh look its Nuclear fear mongering, yippee.

I remember bringing up Three Mile Island in my Technology and Environment class and being told by a fellow student that Hershey's chocolate had been radioactive for years afterward from the fallout getting into cows. Which has so many problems it wasn't even worth discussing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dameius posted:

And nothing happened.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SporkChan posted:

Oh look its Nuclear fear mongering, yippee.

I remember bringing up Three Mile Island in my Technology and Environment class and being told by a fellow student that Hershey's chocolate had been radioactive for years afterward from the fallout getting into cows. Which has so many problems it wasn't even worth discussing.

"Most of that radioactivity came from humans burning coal. Next."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

QuarkJets posted:

The "Baseload" issue is basically wrong and easily disputed, you shouldn't use it. Anything can meet baseload with enough energy storage. It doesn't matter that such storage is expensive and impractical. It's not a real technical issue.

I'd disagree?

Like the biggest argument against nuclear power, once the ATOMZ scare tactics are stripped away, is the capital investment challenges and economic risk.

If we're going to argue that the incredible overbuild of energy storage (I'm picturing endless flywheels across the horizon or towers of Powerwall infernoing) is in any sense economically feasible or practicable, then fuckit, building out as many next-gen nuclear plants as we want should also be magically economically feasible and practicable.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pander posted:

I'd disagree?

Like the biggest argument against nuclear power, once the ATOMZ scare tactics are stripped away, is the capital investment challenges and economic risk.

If we're going to argue that the incredible overbuild of energy storage (I'm picturing endless flywheels across the horizon or towers of Powerwall infernoing) is in any sense economically feasible or practicable, then fuckit, building out as many next-gen nuclear plants as we want should also be magically economically feasible and practicable.

Yeah, nuclear is a solved problem (although setting up the infrastructure at the pace required is not). Storage is most assuredly not for any reasonable cost / environmental impact (dams everywhere as long as they don't impact the environment).

There is this expectation that batteries are going to do some sort of Moores law to make batteries comparable to hydro dam storage anytime soon. This has been implied since the late nineties as a reason nuclear is a waste of time.

Also, there was some chat earlier about South Australia being mostly renewable but I think it kind went by without being mentioned that SA is very much linked into the Australian Eastern seaboard (mostly non-renewable) grid and hence stability, consumption of SA overgeneration and top up services are all there to support the huge renewable percentage of SA. Part of at least one of the state wide power failures the system suffered was because the grid connection to the out of state grid got blown over in a storm. If you removed the grid connections permanently, there would have to be a crash build out of non-renewable generation.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Pander posted:

I'd disagree?

It inevitably gets interpreted in a technical sense as in it's technically not possible to provide baseload with renewables which is not true so now you have to waste time arguing about that which then ends up with an argument about the economics of doing it. You might as well skip that step and say it's not economical to provide baseload with renewables.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Baseload with renewables using batteries also doesn't cover the material and land use issues of the storage tech, either. Even if it were free, hydro pumped storage takes up huge tracts of land and batteries are made out of materials that are truly awful both to mine and to manufacture. Look up Baotou if you'd like to find out where rare earth minerals come from.

Mining Uranium isn't a clean or easy process, but it's a lot better than that - and nuclear power leads every practical form of generation in terms of land use too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

theyre chocolate tastes like vomit. next.

also I loving love ifuckinglove types kramering into subjects their tiny attention spans just learned(or in this case from the HBO doc, re-remembered)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1521570590108254208?s=20&t=DM-kGhwo06H16NJJcbHzUg

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Would this be an appropriate venue to ask about hydrogen-based steel manufacturing? It got coverage in the latest TIME, and I can't tell if it's just an ad for the company profiled or if it has real potential.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Discendo Vox posted:

Would this be an appropriate venue to ask about hydrogen-based steel manufacturing? It got coverage in the latest TIME, and I can't tell if it's just an ad for the company profiled or if it has real potential.

Where does the hydrogen come from?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

It works, anyway. There have been pilot plants in Sweden producing small batches. It demonstrates that it's possible to make steel without using a bunch of coal.

It's not economically viable at the moment, though. Maybe economy of scale will help as it develops.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Phanatic posted:

Where does the hydrogen come from?

The HYBRIT plant profiled for the article says it's separated from water with renewable energy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Of course the flip side of this is that coal also has tons of unmonitored methane emissions, particularly coming from abandoned coal mines that leak continuously until they are sealed and flooded. It's a tough situation because the reality is that all fossil fuels are pretty toxic, mildly radioactive, and generally terrible for humanity and the planet.

quote:

COLLEGE PARK, Md.—The amount of methane released into the atmosphere as a result of coal mining is likely much higher than previously calculated, according to research presented at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union recently.

The study estimates that methane emissions from coal mines are approximately 50 percent higher than previously estimated. The research was done by a team at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and others.

The higher estimate is due mainly to two factors: methane that continues to be emitted from thousands of abandoned mines and the higher methane content in coal seams that are ever deeper, according to chief author Nazar Kholod of PNNL.

The results have important implications for Earth’s climate because methane is about 25 times more powerful than carbon dioxide when it comes to warming the planet over a long period. In addition to coal mining, other major sources of methane emissions globally include wetlands, agriculture, and oil and gas facilities.

The study is one of the first to account for methane leaking from old, abandoned mines. Kholod said that when a closed mine is flooded, water stops methane from leaking almost completely within about seven years. But when an abandoned mine is closed without flooding, as many are, methane leaks into the air for decades.

https://www.pnnl.gov/news-media/methane-emissions-coal-mines-are-higher-previously-thought

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Discendo Vox posted:

Are they burning hydrogen to melt the iron or using hydrogen in place of coke somehow? You already can use induction to melt the iron so I dont see the point of using hydrogen fuel. Or is this just FINMET + renewable hydrogen.?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

karthun posted:

Are they burning hydrogen to melt the iron or using hydrogen in place of coke somehow? You already can use induction to melt the iron so I dont see the point of using hydrogen fuel. Or is this just FINMET + renewable hydrogen.?

I'm not sure and don't have time atm to reread, but I tracked down the time article, if others would like to take a look.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It looks like they are injecting the hydrogen to replace coking coal to manufacture steel.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

karthun posted:

Are they burning hydrogen to melt the iron or using hydrogen in place of coke somehow?

They're using the hydrogen as a reducing agent.

Edit: For anyone laboring under the misapprehension that the TMI documentary on Netflix might be worth watching, allow me to correct that. Michio Kaku shows up in the first five minutes.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 4, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

They're using the hydrogen as a reducing agent.

Edit: For anyone laboring under the misapprehension that the TMI documentary on Netflix might be worth watching, allow me to correct that. Michio Kaku shows up in the first five minutes.

IIRC its based on the book by a guy from Union of Concerned Scientists. So, yeah.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

At 13:45 we hear this:

"On a weekly basis, you're allowed .3 rem. When my badge was read, it came out to be 2.8 rem, almost a hundred times what you're allowed to have."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phanatic posted:

"On a weekly basis, you're allowed .3 rem. When my badge was read, it came out to be 2.8 rem, almost a hundred times what you're allowed to have."
Not great math skills, not terrible

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Oh no, 2.8 rem. Or 28 millisieverts. Which is something like a tenth of the total allowed dose for a grown adult.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it’s about 65 times their daily dose guidelines if we’re being charitable

but yeah this thing will probably just scare off more people

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The risk quantization is what makes all the difference. You say to someone, "You were hit with 1mrem of radiation" and that means absolutely nothing to them. It's not a figure daily life equips people to parse. If you add, "Which is about the same level of risk as five minutes spent driving a car, or crossing the street five times." then they can go "Ohhh, no big deal then."

The fact that numbers and limits can be reported completely without context is deliberately used to mislead, and it really gets my goose.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

aniviron posted:

The risk quantization is what makes all the difference. You say to someone, "You were hit with 1mrem of radiation" and that means absolutely nothing to them. It's not a figure daily life equips people to parse. If you add, "Which is about the same level of risk as five minutes spent driving a car, or crossing the street five times." then they can go "Ohhh, no big deal then."

The fact that numbers and limits can be reported completely without context is deliberately used to mislead, and it really gets my goose.

of course. this happens when just about any risk for any subject is reported in the media. i agree it’s very frustrating

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Did you know that even though it's supposed to be As Low As Reasonably Achievable, there are still atoms and energetic particles hitting you? Checkmate nerdcular powerdorks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Did you know that even though it's supposed to be As Low As Reasonably Achievable, there are still atoms and energetic particles hitting you? Checkmate nerdcular powerdorks.

drat you Cosmos and Uranium in our planet's crust!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/shelbywebb/status/1523709326556385285

https://twitter.com/shelbywebb/status/1523741919947407364

Wind energy is good, but let's try to avoid this sort of crazy variation. In other words, let's try not to be like Texas.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Why is this happening? Is transmission capacity into the Houston area maxed out?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Isn't prices going up in one area that needs power and prices going down in another area that has power to spare exactly what you'd expect to happen before trading happens and things equalize?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Isn't prices going up in one area that needs power and prices going down in another area that has power to spare exactly what you'd expect to happen before trading happens and things equalize?

It's all well and good at the utility level, but Texas also lets utilities sell consumer power plans with variable price based on wholesale prices.

http://www.powertochoose.org/en-us/Content/Resource/Plan-Options
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/us/texas-storm-electric-bills.html

quote:

“My savings is gone,” said Scott Willoughby, a 63-year-old Army veteran who lives on Social Security payments in a Dallas suburb. He said he had nearly emptied his savings account so that he would be able to pay the $16,752 electric bill charged to his credit card — 70 times what he usually pays for all of his utilities combined. “There’s nothing I can do about it, but it’s broken me.”
Robert McCullough, an energy consultant in Portland, Ore., and a critic of Mr. Hogan’s, said that allowing the market to drive energy policy with few protections for consumers was “idiotic” and that similar actions had devastated retailers and consumers following the California energy crisis of 2000 and 2001.

“The similar situation caused a wave of bankruptcies as retailers and customers discovered that they were on the hook for bills 30 times their normal levels,” Mr. McCullough said. “We are going to see this again.”

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Phanatic posted:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Wind-solar-production-outstrips-transmission-in-16223706.php

quote:

“I started seeing some projects go off the boards, and [wind power] companies were saying they’re not going to build,” Darby said. “I asked why, and they said ‘We’ve had curtailments. We’re going to have to curtail production at certain times.’”

Another problem, he said, is it takes 18 to 24 months to developed wind and solar farms, but up to six years to complete transmission upgrades.

Ross Baldick, an emeritus professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, said West Texas transmission upgrades completed in 2014 can transport about 18,500 megawatts of electricity, but more than 20,000 megawatts of wind energy alone are generated in the area. Due to other technical constraints, grid officials must limit power through those lines to less than 12,000 megawatts to keep them working properly.

The wind power literally can't help out the city's demand, because Texas transmission is just that lovely.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
transmission upgrades were a slow process pre-covid. i can't even imagine what the timeline is looking like now. and thats making the assumption that everyone involved actually wants to do it and isnt dragging their heels for political purposes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/shelbywebb/status/1523709326556385285

https://twitter.com/shelbywebb/status/1523741919947407364

Wind energy is good, but let's try to avoid this sort of crazy variation. In other words, let's try not to be like Texas.

This is the kind of crazy poo poo that's been happening in europe too, going from dirt cheap to expensive as hell. Even though the transfers are much better and things aren't as localized.

Prices jumping all over like this is simply a thing of intermittent power generation. Don't see a way around it anytime soon.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Texas has power issues because they intentionally cut themselves off from neighboring state power grids in order to avoid federal regulations. Their problems are entirely of their own making.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/energy-environment/2021/02/15/391519/why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Now let's add another Houston to the grid over the next three years in the form of crypto mining operations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Of course, nationwide grid upgrades are completely impossible and off the table because they don't involve putting tax dollars directly into fossil execs' pockets.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dameius posted:

Now let's add another Houston to the grid over the next three years in the form of crypto mining operations.

going from the gbs buttcoin thread, there seems to be a minor butt implosion with a stable coin, this probably wont mean any thing bad for butts medium or long term, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

going from the gbs buttcoin thread, there seems to be a minor butt implosion with a stable coin, this probably wont mean any thing bad for butts medium or long term, but who knows.

Yeah I have no particular insight on that, ERCOT (iirc) was forecasting about another Houston's worth of energy demand once Abbott finishes luring in all the crypto miners and unless there is something particularly unique about this implosion the scam will bounce back eventually.