Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

latinotwink1997 posted:

Thoughts on the number sorting:

If they can sort the files to 100%, would that not mean that the company already knows where (or at least how many) the “bad” numbers are? Then would that mean their work is arbitrary and completely meaningless?

Maybe think of a file like the screen in the video game Qix, or creating a jigsaw puzzle out of a photo. You're "done" when all of the file is categorized. It doesn't look like there are holes left when you categorize a chunk; the numbers fill in the blank spaces. Maybe it's more like your typical match-3 game where what's left after you match 3 fills in from the top/side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
They mention that they don't always reach 100% because the files expire. The goal is to get all the numbers sorted before their time is up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably like a P vs NP problem in computer science. There are problems that can be solved and verified by a computer in polynomial time, and there are problems can not be solved quickly by a computer, but they can be verified in polynomial time. So maybe it is not feasible for a computer to categorize these numbers, maybe a computer is unable to find the groups of numbers. But the innies can, they can look at the numbers and a group makes them feel an emotion, so they select the numbers in the group, sort them, and then the computer can look at this group and verify that it does match previous number groups that elicited that emotion. The innies searching the files is faster than the computers testing every single grouping of numbers against every single category.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i forget did they ever show/say what (if anything) happens should numbers be sorted into the, “wrong” bin, if there is one?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Maybe the severance implant can control their visual cognition and they're actually doing some kind of completely different and nefarious work on their workstations that they don't even realize. Although I admit that would be a letdown.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

latinotwink1997 posted:

Thoughts on the number sorting:

If they can sort the files to 100%, would that not mean that the company already knows where (or at least how many) the “bad” numbers are? Then would that mean their work is arbitrary and completely meaningless?

it might just be a limit on the action side of things, not actually the maximum number of categorizations that can be performed. like imagine they're making drones blow people up, it could represent number of bombs their plane has on board

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

veni veni veni posted:

From page 39.

E: lol nm right above me

Just confirming before I put the upload req in, this is the img y'all want for your sick nasty gang tag, right?

e: PS anybody who wants the tag, pls quote me and let me know if you also wish to keep the tags/etc you have now. last i checked, there is no hard limit on how many tags you can have, but it is up to mod discretion to prune them if they find it obnoxiously long

e2: disregard my stoned rear end, I see some tags goin thru already!!

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 10, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

esperterra posted:

Just confirming before I put the upload req in, this is the img y'all want for your sick nasty gang tag, right?

e: PS anybody who wants the tag, pls quote me and let me know if you also wish to keep the tags/etc you have now. last i checked, there is no hard limit on how many tags you can have, but it is up to mod discretion to prune them if they find it obnoxiously long

Count me in!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

esperterra posted:

I think this would site nicely with my existing one. Too Nook would clearly sever every fucker on the island if he could. Thank you.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2022

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

esperterra posted:

Tag me please. You can remove the Pet Island one if there’s too much going on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Sir or madam I require this gang tag to add to my carefully curated collection.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

esperterra posted:

I'd like one :)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

esperterra posted:

I haven’t had a gang tag since Fighting Mongooses over a decade ago and would love to get one for my new favorite show.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

500 good dogs posted:

it might just be a limit on the action side of things, not actually the maximum number of categorizations that can be performed. like imagine they're making drones blow people up, it could represent number of bombs their plane has on board

I believe they are sorting numbers into bins based on the emotional response elicited by those numbers. The implant is mapping the brain and using feedback and a dopamine response to enforce neural pathways, reprogramming the brains response as it goes. Kind of a Pavlov response while the subject is asleep.

This will allow lumen to force emotional response in outies by just displaying numbers or patterns on a tv screen or billboard or whatever.
In this capitalist hellworld, loyal employee/consumers are more valuable than droning children or whatever.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 10, 2022

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

kzin602 posted:

This will allow lumen to force emotional response in outies by just displaying numbers or patterns on a tv screen or billboard or whatever.

Blipverts. They are enabling blipverts.

https://youtu.be/AnvJREBGy84

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

esperterra posted:

I would love one. I’d like to keep my existing if possible.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

esperterra posted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

esperterra posted:

I would like one. Thanks!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

esperterra posted:

I need this in my life, please and thank you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

esperterra posted:

I would like a tags please

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

esperterra posted:

Gogo gadget gangtag!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

esperterra posted:

I don't need this but thank you for doing this :)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Had to change my avvy too, but thanks for the tag offer!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

esperterra posted:

Sure, why not, thanks! I'll keep my annoyingly uncentered gang tag.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 12, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

esperterra posted:

please may I have the bad rear end gang tag also, thank you. i would like to stay a pro posting champeen and have the severance tag beneath it, ty

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 11, 2022

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

esperterra posted:

Ooh! Yes please!

I think my current tag can go too.

Thanks!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

esperterra posted:

I'll take a tag please! If you gotta purge one, the Racoon Goons one can go.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

esperterra posted:

I’m in! Replace this one with the others I have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

esperterra posted:

Yeah OK I'll add this to my Papaya Bois one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

esperterra posted:

e: PS anybody who wants the tag, pls quote me and let me know if you also wish to keep the tags/etc you have now.

Yes please and you can remove my current one as well, since I don't think I will be able to enjoy both tags equally.

Edit: Preferably this one.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 11, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

esperterra posted:

I would enjoy this tag if you're still doing them plz.

Also if it's possible and not much trouble could you add back my papaya bois one

that I lost when someone changed my av :(

no worries if not possible though.

As for the number sorting in the show, I've been gong with the theory that whatever they're doing with them is somehow related to restoring coma peoples memories.

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 10, 2022

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

esperterra posted:

I would like this please thank u!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

esperterra posted:

Gimme all the tags.

Please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

i want tag please and thanks you ver much

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

esperterra posted:

e: PS anybody who wants the tag, pls quote me and let me know if you also wish to keep the tags/etc you have now.

Would love a tag! Keep the cool zone one up as well. :) Thank you!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

esperterra posted:

Please. I promise to enjoy each gangtag equally

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A lotta people itt about to lose ten points

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

esperterra posted:

Sign me up for the musical dance experience!

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yes. Please make this my primary tag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Gang me tags please!