Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ddiddles posted:

Maggie starting to learn car rides mean fun, and not another foster home.

Was this a wide angle shot? Something about it makes that snout look mighty impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

schwein11 posted:

My dog, who turned a year old in March, has gotten a lot better about chewing things she shouldn't (i.e. the furniture), but has recently started gnawing on her leash when we're not looking. Her leash had gotten to the point where there are a couple places where it looks like it could tear completely if she pulled hard enough (seeing a rabbit while on a walk or something - she's generally pretty good at not pulling during walks, but rabbits cause all sense/training to vacate her mind - side note she caught two bunnies in the back yard the week prior to Easter appropriately enough, one died and one actually hopped away after it had been head down almost entirely in her mouth while I was trying to get her to drop it). So with the leash in the state that it was in, I went and bought a new one yesterday. Fast forward to the evening and we're about to go out on a walk with the extended family and while distracted for literally a moment she gets the new leash and bites it clean in two. I think we are going to have to move on to a chain leash from now on.

Obligatory dog picture:

lol my dog's chewed through about half a dozen gentle leader straps by now. they work very quickly! her actual lead is leather so she hasn't been able to do any damage to that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Surgery was a success and Ziggy is resting comfortably at home. He wore the cone last night and was completely miserable so we took it off this morning and we'll just keep an eye on him. I got an inflatable ring for him to wear tonight.

He's never been much of a balls licker anyways, it's more the shaved bit on his leg where they put the IV that he's interested in licking.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Aw hopefully he’s on the right track now.

Has anybody heard of a dog getting a nosebleed or other bleeding from overheating?

The other weekend we went to a dog park and mine had blood on his face but we couldn’t find a source. We didn’t see anything happen but assumed he caught on something or accidentally bumped into another dogs tooth or something. Then again yesterday I found blood on a soft toy after he had been out running around the yard, again no cause or source that we could find. Also he’s eating normal, normal energy levels and no other symptoms like diarrhea etc.

He’s 2 now and has never had problems before after exercise or similar play environments with other dogs, so I’m really not sure what to think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Check his teeth? Maybe he has some bleeding gums or something.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

devmd01 posted:

:3: yes they do! Yet another successful trip to the dog park to wear him out.

That is a 11/10 puppy right there.

I cant wait until we've got her name and recall down so we can start working on fetch somewhere other than my backyard.

Sab669 posted:

Was this a wide angle shot? Something about it makes that snout look mighty impressive

Yeah ahah, she has a normal sized snout.

Shes still getting used to her new house and me, so everything new seems to make her nervous until I coax her through it (she's starting to like car rides). I don't think her pervious owner was physically abusive, she apparently had mental issues that got so bad that Maggie had to be surrendered, so I think there was a lot of confusion and shouting in the first year of her life. When we're just hanging out on the couch or on the bed she's all cuddles though so lifes not too bad.

She was all smiles until I pulled out my camera.

I took her out into nature a few times this week for what I think was the first time in her life, she was a big fan, almost fell asleep during the car ride home.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 11, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Couple weeks with Stanley now and he's doing amazing getting adjusted. He's a lazy loaf and just lays on the bed next to me while I'm working. Besides eating a shitload of acorns, sticks, and grass outside, he's not really a huge chewer. He's got a few chew toys, but will randomly play with them for maybe a few minutes and moves on. He's insanely motivated by food, so I'm trying to find a toy he can throw around that drops some kibble. We've got a Kong that I put peanut butter in every now and then, but he doesn't really hold kibble that well since it's an XL one and it just falls out. I see a bunch of toys on Amazon, but it seems that literally every dog toy on there has reviews where their dog destroyed it, so I really have no clue what to buy.

On a different note, his only challenge so far is that he's SUPER protective when it comes to people and other dogs when we walk. He goes bonkers with growling, barking, pulling, and jumping whenever he sees another dog. It's ok when I'm walking him, but this 75lb beefy boi will end up dragging my teenagers down the road. I've been trying to go to the other side of the road, have him sit, and feed him treats if I say "leave it" and he puts his attention on me. This usually works for like a half-second until he catches sight of the other dog. I have to get in front of him to break line of sight and put a treat in front of his nose just to break his concentration for a split second. Sometimes he'll sit and look at me, but he's usually too locked in to respond. Do I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, or am I approaching this wrong?

This is SUPER weird, because when he was at the rescue, he was super chill with other dogs and always wanted to say hi. No barks, growls, jumps, or anything. Even when we took him for a walk while we were meeting him, he'd usually ignore other dogs. I'm guessing this is just him realizing that he's now "home" and armed his intruder alarm. We've only had 1-2 people come over since he's been home on purpose to get him used to his new home without other distractions, and he's essentially done the same thing. We've found that if the person coming in the front door has a treat, and puts it on the ground in front of him, he instantly warms up and decides friend. Obviously we can't do that on walks.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 12, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Some dogs are better off leash and can be reactive when on a leash. That could be contributing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Our girl has started leaking and I don't even begin to understand what is going on. She might sit somewhere and when she gets up there's a puddle. No comment, no sign, just randomly. Seems to have happened a few times now. Anyone know what could be the cause/reason? I don't think it would be a medical condition, but right now I have no clue.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SEKCobra posted:

Our girl has started leaking and I don't even begin to understand what is going on. She might sit somewhere and when she gets up there's a puddle. No comment, no sign, just randomly. Seems to have happened a few times now. Anyone know what could be the cause/reason? I don't think it would be a medical condition, but right now I have no clue.

Was she spayed very young? It’s a “thing” now in dogs that were spayed too young and their bladder muscles never developed fully. My girl started this at about a year old and has been on Proin ever since.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Was she spayed very young? It’s a “thing” now in dogs that were spayed too young and their bladder muscles never developed fully. My girl started this at about a year old and has been on Proin ever since.

Nope, still fertile. She also has shown amazing bladder control so far, it just happened for the first time a few days ago. Not even during a 'risky' period where she hadn't been to pee for a while, but rather just a little bit after the last normal pee outside.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

UTIs do that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That was my first thought as well

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yup, sounds like a UTI. If it is, don't get lazy with the antibiotics and do the full schedule of doses or it can come back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm not saying Brisket is territorial, but today two of the neighbor dogs happened to be outside the door when I opened it for our morning walk. Everything was fine, they're puppies so he usually interacts with them by looking away as they try and jump on his face. But once they crossed the threshold into our apartment to say hi to me it was borking time and lots of borks were had.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
So I had my first real fuckup as a dog owner, I set up Maggie to be in the worst situation.

I wanted to introduce her to my friends border collie, and had the bright idea to just have him bring her to my house after only a week of having this dog. My buddy showed up sooner then I expected and in a rush I forgot to put a leash on her, we took them out to the backyard and she was growling and defensive, they seemed to be ok and smelling each other on their, but as soon as I got close to both of them, my dog attacked my buddies dog. I was able to pull her off easily and my buddies dog was fine, almost didnt even notice and no blood. I felt really stupid after all this happened because I know its the worst idea in the world to introduce a dog to another dog in their territory.

Anyway, all is fine now, I've decided to take a few weeks were its just me and Maggie until she starts to realize shes in her forever home, and we have her name and recall down. Anyone have any good ideas on how to socialize my dog with other dogs after this? Shes great with humans and instantly loves them after barking a few times, but she was growling at dogs on the public walking path. Her foster home had two dogs in it, so shes used to being around other dogs. I want to introduce her to my buddies dog again in a month or so in a neutral place, I'm more just nervous about taking her to dog parks, I dunno how shed react to a dog off a leash running up to play.

I think I took all the love shes shown me so far as her trusting me, which is dumb to expect of a dog after just a week, definitely learning to have a lot of empathy for her situation.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ddiddles posted:

So I had my first real fuckup as a dog owner, I set up Maggie to be in the worst situation.

I wanted to introduce her to my friends border collie, and had the bright idea to just have him bring her to my house after only a week of having this dog. My buddy showed up sooner then I expected and in a rush I forgot to put a leash on her, we took them out to the backyard and she was growling and defensive, they seemed to be ok and smelling each other on their, but as soon as I got close to both of them, my dog attacked my buddies dog. I was able to pull her off easily and my buddies dog was fine, almost didnt even notice and no blood. I felt really stupid after all this happened because I know its the worst idea in the world to introduce a dog to another dog in their territory.

Anyway, all is fine now, I've decided to take a few weeks were its just me and Maggie until she starts to realize shes in her forever home, and we have her name and recall down. Anyone have any good ideas on how to socialize my dog with other dogs after this? Shes great with humans and instantly loves them after barking a few times, but she was growling at dogs on the public walking path. Her foster home had two dogs in it, so shes used to being around other dogs. I want to introduce her to my buddies dog again in a month or so in a neutral place, I'm more just nervous about taking her to dog parks, I dunno how shed react to a dog off a leash running up to play.

I think I took all the love shes shown me so far as her trusting me, which is dumb to expect of a dog after just a week, definitely learning to have a lot of empathy for her situation.

I've been told never to introduce dogs on a leash, I keep all dog sozialicing to the public dog parks for now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I've been told never to introduce dogs on a leash, I keep all dog sozialicing to the public dog parks for now.

I've had some bad situations with off-leash dogs approaching my (on-leash) dog while their owners were some distance away. Usually the dog is friendly, but sometimes they aren't (despite the other owner's assurances). I get the "don't do introductions on leash" rule because it removes one source of provocations from the situation, but it also removes your ability to control the situation.

I believe it's possible for most dogs to have a good introduction while both are on leash. However, both owners need to be paying attention to the dogs' body languages and their positions. In particular, dogs often like to spin around each other while checking each other out, and that can cause two issues that can make things go south in a hurry:

1. Some dogs are jealous and hate to let other dogs get between them and their owners
2. If both dogs are leashed, then the leashes can get wrapped around each other

Combine these two and you can end up with a situation where a) dog 1 perceives dog 2 to be between them and their owner, and b) dog 1 believes it is being forced to be close to dog 2 and cannot back off. This triggers fight-or-flight, but "flight" isn't an option, so fight it is!

The solution to this is straightforward: as the dogs spin around each other, the owners also move to keep the leashes clear. This does imply that introductions should take place in space that's open enough to permit that kind of movement (and in particular, to permit that kind of movement without requiring anyone to get too close to the dogs). So avoid introductions on narrow paths or sidewalks where you can't move out into the street.

All of this doesn't guarantee that the introduction will go smoothly, though, so you should also be watching each dog's body language. If one is uncomfortable, then the dogs need to be separated. Fortunately, if the leashes are clear, that's simply a matter of the owners pulling the dogs back. Of course this does assume that you're stronger than your dog is. The above also assumes that the other owner is on the same wavelength. If they just stand there like a lump while you're trying to keep leashes clear, that's not helpful. And if their response to you pulling your dog out of a bad situation is to let their dog continue to approach...

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The advice I got was to do things like take walks with the other person and their dog on a leash. Don’t actually let the dogs interact much - the point is neutral proximity while they do something else. Lots of treats for just ignoring or being neutrally interested at best in the other dog.

Basically you want them to acclimatize to each other’s presence without the stress of a forced interaction.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Do dogs get less tired as they age? Like if I bring my dog anywhere she will basically be out for the rest of the day and super tired the next day.

She is almost 11 months old. Could that matter or will she still be super tired after going with us to a bar or a restaurant or a friend's house?

This is her after playing in at a indoors agility course for an hour with her friend. Understandably tiring to keep up with a border terrier whose legs are twice her length.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My corgi is two and as long as she gets half an hour at the dog run in the morning and a walk and 15 minutes or so of fetch in the afternoon she pretty much sleeps/lays around the rest of the day.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Excessive lethargy could be a sign of a glandular problem, if I recall correctly. You might want to talk with your vet.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Excessive lethargy could be a sign of a glandular problem, if I recall correctly. You might want to talk with your vet.

Fortunately we have just had her checked out and it's also just sleeping a lot, when she is playing or walking she is still alert and quick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, that's good!

For what it's worth, I have a 10-year-old 75-pound mutt with some amount of herding dog in him. He was pretty high energy when he was younger, like "go play at the beach for an hour, then come home and notice the neighbor is gardening in their back yard, so run up and down the fence while barking." But when he wasn't charging around like that, he was asleep. Very on/off, no middle ground.

These days, we cover 2-3 miles on foot a day, and he's pretty content to just nap the rest of the day away. He'll go check out the back yard from time to time, bark at the mailman, etc. but his energy level is definitely lower than it used to be.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gobi has been spending a ton of time under my bed, and he’s been a little less playful when we go to the dog park, but he’s still wild at home when I get him going.

Also, It’s been kind of a struggle to get him to eat, though he’s still going crazy for his favorite treats and stuff like string cheese. He’s still eating and pooping plenty, I just think he’s getting bored of it. Maybe allergies? He’s just seemed kind of low energy the last few weeks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Gobi has been spending a ton of time under my bed, and he’s been a little less playful when we go to the dog park, but he’s still wild at home when I get him going.

Also, It’s been kind of a struggle to get him to eat, though he’s still going crazy for his favorite treats and stuff like string cheese. He’s still eating and pooping plenty, I just think he’s getting bored of it. Maybe allergies? He’s just seemed kind of low energy the last few weeks.

Sounds sick.
Not too sick, but just upset a bit.

Or he might just be getting older. Constant play and eating like there's now tomorrow is puppy poo poo!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds sick.
Not too sick, but just upset a bit.

Or he might just be getting older. Constant play and eating like there's now tomorrow is puppy poo poo!

Yeah, That’s my thought. He right on the verge of seeming actually sick, then he runs 200 laps around the house and eats all his food. We’re getting ready to move as well, and I think he may be picking up on that and getting nervous.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My 8 month old lab/pit has an eye that is just endless eye boogers. I have to wipe it out maybe 4-5 times a day. It comes away clean, and has always been like this. It's mostly the left eye.

Is this just her gross eyes or something potentially serious?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My 8 month old lab/pit has an eye that is just endless eye boogers. I have to wipe it out maybe 4-5 times a day. It comes away clean, and has always been like this. It's mostly the left eye.

Is this just her gross eyes or something potentially serious?

If it's mostly just one eye I'd want it checked out. Could just be allergies, could be an eye/eyelid/sinus issue. If it's always been like that I maybe wouldn't rush to the vet but it's something I'd bring up if I was already there.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

This little fellow ran up to me as I was unlocking my door after coming home from my folks' place on Mother's Day, literally and I mean literally like something out of a movie. He just runs up and starts scratching on the door with sad puppy-dog eyes which are clearly asking "I live here now, OK Boss?"

OK it was since I'd been planning to get a dog anyway!

I took him to the vet the next day, got him his shots and pills, checked him for a chip, found none, so I got him chipped. He's mine now! He was severly underweight but I've got him on some good kibble and he's up six pounds over two weeks. The vet estimates he's about 5-6 months old. He's right about 37 lbs at this time.

He seems to be smart, alert, and eager to please. I've already taught him sit, shake, stand, speak, and down, which he performs wonderfully in the house and spottily in the wild. He's easily distracted which I totally get. He is obviously a work in progress, as am I. He destroys toys but luckily we've figured out his favorite toy is a piece of rope with knots in it that I can get at Harbor Freight for 2 bucks.

He seems to be good with kids and likes to cuddle. He is already housetrained which is super-totally-awesome. He does not exhibit any aggression towards other dogs and doesn't resource guard like my last dog. He has doesn't mind his feet getting handled. He sticks his head into the shower when I'm showering.

He's pretty great. I'm over the moon.

Bingo is his name-o.

gizmojumpjet fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 23, 2022

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tell Bingo "Hi" from me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm sorry to tell you that it doesn't work like that and the assholery has only just begun.

This totally happened btw. Abby's become a much better dog since turning 1. I'm as confused as anyone but it's nice having my evenings free again after we get back from the dog park.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Our little Sailor puppy is doing great. Learning all kinds of tricks, getting very good at his manners and no nipping, and is a little puzzled as to why his work-from-home human cannot play with him all day.

I have a health question, and I expect the answer is going to be "ask your vet".
One thing I noticed this morning while giving him a bath is that he has extremely weird rear dewclaws. Because his fur is long I though it was some sort of plant burr, dingleberry or rock stuck in it. Nope, it's a toe with a nail. Unlike his front dewclaws, his rear ones are totally free hanging and do not appear to be attached to a bone. Looking it up, it appears that sometimes rear dewclaws can be vestigial, only attached by skin. That's what this is, it's pretty much a skin tag with a nail attached.

There appear to be a lot of :can: strong opinions about dewclaws :can: on the internet. If his rear dewclaw is truly vestigial and not attached by bone, I'm leaning towards asking at his neutering appointment if they can snip them off? It's not really doing anything for him, and I would hate for him to get it torn off during playtime or hiking. Anyone have experience with this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've heard that it can be a good idea to remove rear declaws for that reason -- they're functionless, but can potentially get painfully snagged on things. So, might as well remove 'em if the dog's getting surgery anyway. It makes sense to me :shrug:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If they're just flopping around you can absolutely ask your vet to remove them when he's neutered instead of risk them getting torn off or something. If they're connected to a tendon or bone they should stay. My rescue dog doesn't have any dewclaws (front must have been removed at some point), my cattle dog has firmly attached front ones but no back ones, and my pyrenees has double dew claws on the front and back. She's got so many nails to trim.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

-- they're functionless, but can potentially get painfully snagged on things

Ugh, yeah. The boys actually woke me up at 3am the other morning because Henry got a front claw stuck in his collar and was hobbling through the house crying for me to help him. If it was a back claw that might have been even more awkward.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Is there any thread for cancer support? I took my 9yo shepherd in for an evaluation of what appeared to be worsening arthritis and hip displaysia, and the vet said that during the exam "all of her lymph nodes are swollen" and that it is likely advanced lymphoma.

I'm really devastated. I lost my last shepherd 6 years ago to a nasal sarcoma and to read that the prognosis for lymphoma (if confirmed by labs) is just 4-6 weeks has me hosed up. Chemo doesn't appear to be a great option either as it will "only" buy another year, possibly two, but at a cost that's not affordable for us.

should I start her on prednisone (the 2nd option the vet recommended if not chemo) immediately?

I loving hate cancer so loving much

this is her on her heating blanket

I wanted to give the thread an update on this post for anyone else who might be dealing with this.

After we discussed the prednisone treatment, we put her on 20mg/2x daily. She improved remarkably almost immediately. Her appetite came back, she stands up and walks around to get toys again, and she can even climb our stairs after previously being too weak to do so. She doesn't even express any hip or leg pain the way she used to when standing or walking. It's absolutely amazing. She even sprints around the backyard barking and squirrelchasing they way she used to.

We're now over 8 weeks from the original lymphoma diagnosis and Brooklynn is doing as well as she ever has. I know it won't last forever but the last two months with my girl have been great and she seems so much happier.

Prednisone is a miracle drug. There have been some side effects (her appetite is crazy now, and she's had some urine incontinence that we solved by lowering her dose to 1x/20mg) but it's absolutely been worth it. I'm going to schedule a followup with the vet since she's due for a regular checkup now anyway. :cheersdoge:

This is her and brother Leo cuddling together recently:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 26, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ex post facho posted:

I wanted to give the thread an update on this post for anyone else who might be dealing with this.

After we discussed the prednisone treatment, we put her on 20mg/2x daily. She improved remarkably almost immediately. Her appetite came back, she stands up and walks around to get toys again, and she can even climb our stairs after previously being too weak to do so. She doesn't even express any hip or leg pain the way she used to when standing or walking. It's absolutely amazing. She even sprints around the backyard barking and squirrelchasing they way she used to.

We're now over 8 weeks from the original lymphoma diagnosis and Brooklynn is doing as well as she ever has. I know it won't last forever but the last two months with my girl have been great and she seems so much happier.

Prednisone is a miracle drug. There have been some side effects (her appetite is crazy now, and she's had some urine incontinence that we solved by lowering her dose to 1x/20mg) but it's absolutely been worth it. I'm going to schedule a followup with the vet since she's due for a regular checkup now anyway. :cheersdoge:

This is her and brother Leo cuddling together recently:

Way late but when my first dog (first i had to put down, that is) got that cancer diagnosis out of the blue too, in a way it was more cruel since in the course of one drop off to a vet, where she was diagnosed with cancer, she had her foot lamed by it, beginning of that bone cancer frequent urination/incontinence, etc. It was like she got hit by the demon core or something. On the other hand it made decisiveness very easy, where to draw that line, etc. For me, it was once she lost her 'dogness' I was like yeah, I'm not gonna allow this to be dragged out, her QoL had clearly nosedived. I still have mixed feelings about it because in a way it wasn't the OG dying in your sleep, but it was a rather quick and clean conclusion. Compare that to her bro, who got cancer caught early, one anal sac removed, spleen removal, and just recently had an amputation since he had a huge af cancer lump just fused onto this front left elbow lol. He's winning... but at what cost.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010

gizmojumpjet posted:

This little fellow ran up to me as I was unlocking my door after coming home from my folks' place on Mother's Day, literally and I mean literally like something out of a movie. He just runs up and starts scratching on the door with sad puppy-dog eyes which are clearly asking "I live here now, OK Boss?"

OK it was since I'd been planning to get a dog anyway!

I took him to the vet the next day, got him his shots and pills, checked him for a chip, found none, so I got him chipped. He's mine now! He was severly underweight but I've got him on some good kibble and he's up six pounds over two weeks. The vet estimates he's about 5-6 months old. He's right about 37 lbs at this time.

He seems to be smart, alert, and eager to please. I've already taught him sit, shake, stand, speak, and down, which he performs wonderfully in the house and spottily in the wild. He's easily distracted which I totally get. He is obviously a work in progress, as am I. He destroys toys but luckily we've figured out his favorite toy is a piece of rope with knots in it that I can get at Harbor Freight for 2 bucks.

He seems to be good with kids and likes to cuddle. He is already housetrained which is super-totally-awesome. He does not exhibit any aggression towards other dogs and doesn't resource guard like my last dog. He has doesn't mind his feet getting handled. He sticks his head into the shower when I'm showering.

He's pretty great. I'm over the moon.

Bingo is his name-o.

I got my latest about 10.5 years back. She has been the best camping and beach running buddy ever! Her first appearance was sketchy as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What are you supposed to do when your dog catches a bird :(

We were walking down the city street yesterday, didn't even see this little guy chilling in the shade but Bonnie sure did. Grabbed it in her mouth and it started frantically chirping. I got her to spit it out but then it just laid there kicking its leg.

I didn't have my cell phone on me and it was a long walk back home still so I had just left it, and also the vet was closed with it being Sunday anyways.

That's only the second time it's happened in my almost 5 years with Bonehead, but I feel conflicted because she just has a high prey drive and is a hunter so on the one hand I wanna be like good job dude. But also :( If I lived in the middle of nowhere and could just scoop it up with a shovel and yeet it into the forest I wouldn't care, but that's not the case