Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I think that's more to do with the fact archeologists go to sleep the moment it gets dark outside OP, its like sunbathing but with a degree. The news addiction of OSINT nerds is just nation state rubbernecking, the crash is awful but they cant look away.

We do not, generally. We are somewhat infamous for drinking long into the night before waking up at 5am to hit the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yeah anything outside of operational q&a or personal recollections of their time in Ukraine is honestly worthless, as you mentioned it’s forced and unreliable. I wonder if we can get some info on what they shot him down with I’m curious.

Another thing they pushed but I glossed over, rolling my eyes, is how UA is claiming RU are sabotaging the ejection seats so the pilots can’t be captured. That’s one weird trick I don’t think any military would ever do given the serious investment in pilots.

The allegation has a logic to it though, in that if they need to use their ejection seats, they won't be available for use in the Russian air force more anyway so they're better off dead. I don't believe it, but I can believe that Ukrainians have found Russian pilots still in their seats, i.e. they have ejected but a malfunction prevents the seat from separating and the parachute opening. I think there was a picture of one as well. The reason for that is probably not direct sabotage, but poor maintenance. The same thing happened to a Flanker in US possession, which got posted about in AI recently:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rather horrifying accident at Area 51: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/area-51-test-pilots-mysterious-death-happened-heroically-flying-an-su-27-report

TL;DR, a normal flight in a Su-27 ended in tragedy. First, the landing gear when deployed gave an "unsafe" signal, and so a dry lake bed landing was attempted. The strut in question broke off immediately, and the airplane, on the verge of cartwheeling, took off again. Now with landing struts locked down and running out of fuel, the pilot and the backseat officer bailed out. The backseat guy was fine; the pilot died when his ejection seat didn't separate from him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the popes toes posted:

I really recommned going on a dig with real archeologists. They really dig what they are doing.

:dadjoke:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Telsa Cola posted:

We do not, generally. We are somewhat infamous for drinking long into the night before waking up at 5am to hit the field.

Can confirm this. I worked on a dig in Ireland over summer break once.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flappy Bert posted:

Does that guy even know about anything besides tires? Really reads like the kind of guy who wrote one popular twitter thread and has been getting high on his own supply since then on it..

No, it’s exactly like that.

FishBulbia posted:

You seem to be putting a lot of European nationalism on Putin. I don't believe without Putin there would be open borders and no people like Orban and Le Pen. Nor a non-national federal Europe. As soon as France or Italy feels like "native French/Italian" will be a minority, they'll go full 14 words. Even Euro liberals found their fundamental political perception on the national principle. There is no way that reconciles with the modern world. As you have indicated, it is a threat for all of humanity.

I get that this is your new thing to post about, but what this it have to do with this thread?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Generally interesting, but his final points are rubbish. The DoD and us mil in generally has been funding the gently caress out of Starlink, thinking that Musky boy won't just hand over whatever they ask for on any kind of principled grounds is lol. Hell, his whole MO is find poo poo the government will fund/subsidize the hell out of and then say "I made this".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TaintedBalance posted:

Generally interesting, but his final points are rubbish. The DoD and us mil in generally has been funding the gently caress out of Starlink, thinking that Musky boy won't just hand over whatever they ask for on any kind of principled grounds is lol. Hell, his whole MO is find poo poo the government will fund/subsidize the hell out of and then say "I made this".

The comparison is simply stupid. Fighting an insurgency under the eyes of the word is very different from being the defender in a (near-)peer war and almost every procedure and regulation will reflect this fact.

Calling it the "Starlink War" seems to be very disengengius too, because every modern military will have a functioning data-based command and control system. Starlink was elemental for Ukraine because it was an easy to implement system that does use commercial hardware and not NATO satellites.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Telsa Cola posted:

Same for geologists.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A Russian or DPR convoy taking some hits.
The music + editing is something else.

:nws: https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1523925330578321415?cxt=HHwWjsC5lfOAiaYqAAAA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QieV3CMi9es

Supposedly the first instance of M777 in combat in Ukraine.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

A Russian or DPR convoy taking some hits.
The music + editing is something else.

Leaning hard into the whole hardbass meme, but I’ll take this over their general staff posting combat footage with Crazy Frog like they did a few weeks ago.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

tehinternet posted:

People aren’t biologically meaningfully different on the large scale, of course, but how people do things or the things they prioritize can be very different.

I feel like people are going too far in the other direction when they try to avoid :biotruths:

People can be biologically meaningfully different on the large scale? For example, lactose tolerance/intolerance.

GaussianCopula posted:

The comparison is simply stupid. Fighting an insurgency under the eyes of the word is very different from being the defender in a (near-)peer war and almost every procedure and regulation will reflect this fact.

Calling it the "Starlink War" seems to be very disengengius too, because every modern military will have a functioning data-based command and control system. Starlink was elemental for Ukraine because it was an easy to implement system that does use commercial hardware and not NATO satellites.

Yeah, Ukraine has to worry very little about friendly fire and civilian casualties as long as they are attacking advancing Russian forces. Should it ever come to the point that Ukraine has to retake big cities from the Russians, which are full of their own people, then the situation will be quite different, and they may also exhibit more targeting oversight and restraint.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Telenko seems to fall into the well known trap of suddenly getting a big audience on your narrow field of expertise and then feeling the need to expand to other fields to provide the audience with new content.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

the popes toes posted:

A proposal that was cocked-up early, has legs
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1523780932351586305?cxt=HHwWgsCjxeirx6UqAAAA
Britain would support and provide assistance to Poland or any other central or eastern European country willing to supply Russian-designed jet fighters to Ukraine, the defence secretary has said.

That's been the US position the whole time so I doubt anything comes of it, really. Between funding issues, the planes not actually being likely to make much of a military difference and Poland either wanting the US as an intermediary of the deal or it being a collective NATO decision (for fear of Russian retaliation), I don't see the decision leaving political limbo anytime soon.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/04/poland-considering-italian-korean-alternatives-to-backfill-mig-29s/

As as Russian forces continue to be depleted and the balance of power shifts, I expect the calculus only to shift further in favor of "not worth it". As I understand it the Ukrainian chief needs for a counter offensive in the Donbass are going to be armor (and AA) anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Torrannor posted:

People can be biologically meaningfully different on the large scale? For example, lactose tolerance/intolerance.

That's a funny thing. My fiancé came to finland from SE asia as a kid in the 80s and you'd think she'd be lactose intolerant, but nope. She did grow up here though, eating finnish food which is incredibly heavy on dairy.

I am wondering if you never stop drinking lactose containing products, maybe the body never switches it off?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This seems to be the first case of an open “Z” supporter in Poland (not counting some lady in a Russian car in Cracow with a Z sticker on her car badge). Apparently the person is literally mad, so there’s that.

https://twitter.com/osa_patryk/status/1523565099424043009?s=21&t=oElXYjKNUrKMQifbA63vvg

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's a funny thing. My fiancé came to finland from SE asia as a kid in the 80s and you'd think she'd be lactose intolerant, but nope. She did grow up here though, eating finnish food which is incredibly heavy on dairy.

I am wondering if you never stop drinking lactose containing products, maybe the body never switches it off?
Lactose intolerance has a huge amount of genetic variability since it's controlled by non-protein coding regions. Long story short, some kinds are a use it or lose it control, other kinds are a age based switch off.

Also, even in regions where most people are intolerant, there's still small numbers capable of digesting it since failing to switch off lactase production is an easy mutation to have and relatively harmless. Most people just never discover they can digest it.

Edit: regarding cultures, languages and song, that's a very silly controversy. Ask any classical musician about Italian and you can hear the benefits of a language with a lot of terminal vowels

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 10, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

What? Who do you think fired those missiles? They're cruise missiles or SRBMs, not exactly easy targets to shoot down.

There are now reports that Russia is repeatedly firing P-800 Onyx from Crimean coastal defense batteries at Odessa. They accelerate to Mach 3 for the terminal phase and fly at treetop height. Almost impossible to shoot down with anything the Ukrainians have.

It also signal Russian desperation. P-800:s are expensive, and are not actually very good at bombarding cities. They use radar terminal homing that's designed to be fired at ships, so they probably don't have the ability to target anything specific in the city with them. Which is confirmed by all the hits on random residential buildings, shopping malls and such. Why on earth would they use these super-expensive missiles that are great at shooting at ships but kinda lovely at shooting at land targets, except if that's all they have left?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Friction posted:

The part I never understood about this is the merchant ships. Feels such an odd thing to specifically exclude.

The US government technically doesn't own them, but legally obliges them and their crews to serve as merchant marines during times of war. They don't own the boat to give away. And a boat of merchant marines is far more valuable than a boat without a crew.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

FishBulbia posted:

Putinism is part of European nationalism. The best way to counter it is rejecting the national basis of sovereignty.

For the last 70+ days we have been shown the best way to counter it was with Javelin and tractor.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

There are now reports that Russia is repeatedly firing P-800 Onyx from Crimean coastal defense batteries at Odessa. They accelerate to Mach 3 for the terminal phase and fly at treetop height. Almost impossible to shoot down with anything the Ukrainians have.

It also signal Russian desperation. P-800:s are expensive, and are not actually very good at bombarding cities. They use radar terminal homing that's designed to be fired at ships, so they probably don't have the ability to target anything specific in the city with them. Which is confirmed by all the hits on random residential buildings, shopping malls and such. Why on earth would they use these super-expensive missiles that are great at shooting at ships but kinda lovely at shooting at land targets, except if that's all they have left?

Well why bomb random parks and apartment blocks at all - let alone in Odessa which Russia seems incapable of taking at all with current force deployments.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Tuna-Fish posted:

. Why on earth would they use these super-expensive missiles that are great at shooting at ships but kinda lovely at shooting at land targets, except if that's all they have left?
Ukraine has no ships to shoot, and they're either going to go to waste or be captured, so, what the hell. May as well shoot shops, only one letter in it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Well why bomb random parks and apartment blocks at all - let alone in Odessa which Russia seems incapable of taking at all with current force deployments.

I don't get it either. As a terror campaign it's hardly Dresden.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owling Howl posted:

A lot of this stuff the Russians are doing only makes sense to me as a function of people just dumbly following orders all the way up and down the chain.

"Putin said to attack Odessa!"

"Ok, well, my rear end isn't gonna go there, so let's lob some missiles at it"

"what missiles? All we have are these naval ones"

"Ok, sure, whatever"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yesterday’s victory day cemetary fist fight/shouting match in Gdansk got more nuanced, as it turned out both the pro and anti sides belong to the same Lewica („The Left”) party. Dude representing the pro-russian side got removed from the party’s website later that night.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:nms: Video: The T-90M was apparently destroyed by a Carl Gustav
https://mobile.twitter.com/RALee85/status/1523930571784794112

Washing machine reinforcing their dug in position
https://mobile.twitter.com/OutUkraine/status/1523995808772861953

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 10, 2022

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Little hard to see but you can sorta see the entry hit on the right side of the tank (left on video). I'm not a tank expert but I don't think should happen with a C.G.

Unless the tank had some of that cardboard filled RA instead of the real stuff.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dirt5o8 posted:

Little hard to see but you can sorta see the entry hit on the right side of the tank (left on video). I'm not a tank expert but I don't think should happen with a C.G.

Nah, there are plenty of modern ammo for it that should be able to pierce the side of a T-90 even with the ERA, for example the FFV751 with it's tandem warhead. I'd just take this as a confirmation that when the Ukrianians were handed CG:s, they got the good ammo with them, instead of whatever was about to expire.

CG is obsolescent because it's heavy as gently caress, unguided, and tricky to use, not because it can't punch holes.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I imagine it can't feel good to eject from a jet aircraft in flight.

Ejection is a very violent process that can severely mess up your spine, hips and legs. If you are unlucky enough to have to eject your career flying is generally over since you are rarely cleared to fly again. One of the worst things is spinal compression from it. I met a officer who was a pilot before he had to eject, he was 5’10 when he took off and 5’7 after ejecting.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Torrannor posted:

I feel like people are going too far in the other direction when they try to avoid :biotruths:

Yeah, Ukraine has to worry very little about friendly fire and civilian casualties as long as they are attacking advancing Russian forces. Should it ever come to the point that Ukraine has to retake big cities from the Russians, which are full of their own people, then the situation will be quite different, and they may also exhibit more targeting oversight and restraint.

Yeah, stuff like sickle cell anemia too.

Point still stands that we’re in the neighborhood of 99% the same.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A lot of this stuff the Russians are doing only makes sense to me as a function of people just dumbly following orders all the way up and down the chain.

"Putin said to attack Odessa!"

"Ok, well, my rear end isn't gonna go there, so let's lob some missiles at it"

"what missiles? All we have are these naval ones"

"Ok, sure, whatever"

In all seriousness, it's probably this. Social and systematic incentives are powerful drivers of human behavior.

I actually found the artillery Twitter thread very interesting. I've been wondering why none of the :ukraine: footage of their own artillery shows a full battery of 6 guns. I assumed they used half-batteries or had just suffered casualties. If the thread is accurate, though, they just disperse their guns a lot more than US doctrine. It's really fascinating and only possible if you have real-time data links. The US system is, ironically, much more of a hierarchical, command-and-control system. The system described is far more decentralized, but should still allow commanders to prioritize fires.

If the thread is at all accurate, I hope NATO is taking notes. That model might be the best way to manage indirect fires going forward. It's also going to change counter-battery tactics.

Torrannor posted:

And indeed they seem to be taking exactly such precautions in the fighting around Kherson.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 10, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Lithuanian Parliment voted unanimously to classify the Russian invasion of Ukraine as "genocide" and to declare Russia as "terrorist country". 128 - 0

Dunno if this has any real world consequences, but I appreaciate the gesture.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Dirt5o8 posted:

It’s either the flank of the tank (weak) or turret rear (weak) that gets the hit. Totally penetrable by a CG even with older ammo. Literally only place I would say “hax aimbot” would’ve been a glacis hit or turret front.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Valtonen posted:

It’s either the flank of the tank (weak) or turret rear (weak) that gets the hit. Totally penetrable by a CG even with older ammo. Literally only place I would say “hax aimbot” would’ve been a glacis hit or turret front.

There's close up photos of the wreck afterwords, it looks like it hit the engine bay.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

CommieGIR posted:

There's close up photos of the wreck afterwords, it looks like it hit the engine bay.

Well, Thats basically unarmored as far as tanks go so even more reason to say that CG would suffice.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Djarum posted:

Ejection is a very violent process that can severely mess up your spine, hips and legs. If you are unlucky enough to have to eject your career flying is generally over since you are rarely cleared to fly again. One of the worst things is spinal compression from it. I met a officer who was a pilot before he had to eject, he was 5’10 when he took off and 5’7 after ejecting.

Ejections are so violent that, I believe in the United States Armed Forces you are allowed two life time ejections, after which you are medically forbidden from flying any aircraft with ejection seats as more than two ejections tends to permanently damage your spine, and the fatality rate sky rockets after 2 ejections.

Edit

It’s 2 or 4. I cannot remember.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Valtonen posted:

Well, Thats basically unarmored as far as tanks go so even more reason to say that CG would suffice.

Yeah you don't need the most bleeding cutting edge weapons in the world if you're able to do a well planned ambush where you're shooting at a badly exposed tank, no matter how great that tank is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1524004247876030466

Djarum posted:

Good god. :staredog:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

Ejections are so violent that, I believe in the United States Armed Forces you are allowed two life time ejections, after which you are medically forbidden from flying any aircraft with ejection seats as more than two ejections tends to permanently damage your spine, and the fatality rate sky rockets after 2 ejections.

Edit

It’s 2 or 4. I cannot remember.

Early models of the F-104 had a downward-firing ejection seat to clear the pilot of the T-tail, you just have to eject out of that to balance everything out.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

For the last 70+ days we have been shown the best way to counter it was with Javelin and tractor.

And mud. Ukraine’s version of General Winter. :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we change the thread title to "not war in ukraine" as the theory of war in ukraine is anti Russia sentiment