Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/21/boris-johnsons-guilt-punishment-motion-commons-privileges-committee

Boris Johnson’s guilt is beyond doubt. There is no way back from this
Simon Jenkins
Thu 21 Apr 2022 17.52 BST

Partygate has thus confirmed the view that Johnson was never fit for the office he holds. At an appropriate moment his friends should advise him not to seek re-election, but simply resign.

Three weeks later:

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/09/partygate-beergate-brexit-northern-ireland-cost-of-living

You say Partygate, I say Beergate – let’s call the whole thing off
Simon Jenkins
Mon 9 May 2022 12.25 BST

... for the parties to be subject to six months of police inquiry and a top secret Whitehall investigation is absurd....

... Johnson has paid the penalty for his Downing Street staff being out of control. He has been punished by the electorate for lying about it....

As for now, Johnson and Starmer should issue a joint statement admitting that under lockdown there were failings on all sides. It was a difficult time for everyone, bad examples were set and sincere apologies due for any offence caused. If anyone wants penalty charges dropped or returned, they can apply. As Lewis Carroll’s Dodo may have said, everybody has lost and all must have amnesties.

Now, please, let’s get on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Comrade Fakename posted:

Backing Starmer in the leadership election was a position that had a logic to it - we need a person palatable to the media to deliver the change we need. But this idea has now been proven so utterly wrong that Paul has no choice but to retreat into the Glinnerhole.

It's not logic if you have to discard a bunch of facts to reach the decision. We already knew 90% of what we now know about Starmer before he even stood for leader. The idea that Mr DPP Trilateral Commission would "deliver the change we need" was as laughable then as it is now.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Sir Keir, the nation is listening. What is your big statement about all this stuff? Choose your words carefully. You have permission to be listened to, and this might be one of your few phrases that breaks through the public consciousness.

The Big Boy: I will resign if something does or does not happen based on some nonsense or other

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lmao :eyepop:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't vote for a labour leader who orders a korma. Red faced on question time demanding Keir admit whether he would if pressed eat a Madras. This is my wedge issue

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

the sex ghost posted:

Can't vote for a labour leader who orders a korma. Red faced on question time demanding Keir admit whether he would if pressed eat a Madras. This is my wedge issue

Toxic masculinity.

Kier is a sophisticated connoisseur of a subtle coconut cream lightly spiced with cardomom.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/abiwilks/status/1523928060814405633?s=21&t=TbArEoH1Wtmg7dZpeqCDvQ

They’re so bad at this

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Redirect twitter.com to nitter.net, job done. (I use an addon called Redirector but there are probably a million ways to do it, go nuts.)

Thanks for suggesting this. Very useful.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tarnop posted:

It's not logic if you have to discard a bunch of facts to reach the decision. We already knew 90% of what we now know about Starmer before he even stood for leader. The idea that Mr DPP Trilateral Commission would "deliver the change we need" was as laughable then as it is now.

To you. Quite a lot of comrades in the party, not just rightists, disagreed at the time. (I didn't, I didn't trust the bugger either, but I can agree with Fakename that I can see their logic)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

I’m not saying I agreed with the logic - I literally worked on the RLB campaign. I’m just saying that it’s not a completely from left-field, wacky bonkers idea. Mason and Laura Parker both had dinner with Starmer before the 2019 election where they hashed out their support for him in the upcoming leadership election - presumably at that event Keir basically lied to their faces about what he was going to do. Paul just simply can’t accept that he’s been had.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

To be fair to those incredulous morons who voted for Kieth, the platform he ran on was palatable to the left. Now those of us with an understanding of object permanence didn't believe it because we remember he quit the cabinet in the chicken coup and even without the Trilateral Commission poo poo, but not everyone on the left is as gifted with a Evergreen load of cynicism like you or I.

The optimism of the left is probably necessary for the not-mentally-ill of our number to not want to blow their heads off because we lose. A lot. But God the naivety is infuriating, no matter if its coming from an 18 year old or from the former Leader of the Opposition.

I will say that Kieth has actually exceeded my expectations as far as how right he'd run though. I didn't think he had it in him to break basically all of his leadership campaign pledges, does show the utter contempt the Labour left are held in though, rightfully so if they are happy to be slapped in the face Minoru Suzuki style continually and stay in the party & campaigning for it

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, had I not been following this thread for the years before - which provided both good coverage of Starmer's duplicity and general uselessness while he was in the shadow cabinet and a good dose of cynicism/realism about how a much real change a Sir, QC and DPP could be expected to deliver - I would probably have gone for Starmer in the leadership. Based solely on his pledges, his platform and his statements during the leadership campaign he came across as exactly the "still a leftist but not as scary" that a lot of people were looking for post-2019.

And yes, I've also been surprised at how extensively and blatantly he's broken his pledges, reversed his previously stated positions and gleefully swung so far to the right. If you looked in past threads you'd find me predicting that at worst he'd be another Ed Miliband (sort of reluctant 'sad neoliberalism') or a genuinely empty weather vane who did whatever the loudest and strongest voices told him to do or whatever had the electoral advantage. But he's not even that, and he's not even good at the base game of politics and power.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Remember the halcyon days where the big scandal among party leaders was whether they’d ever been to Greggs? It feels about a billion years ago considering everything that’s happened since

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can someone make the Queen do a fit to work test and take away her state benefits?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair to those incredulous morons who voted for Kieth, the platform he ran on was palatable to the left. Now those of us with an understanding of object permanence didn't believe it because we remember he quit the cabinet in the chicken coup and even without the Trilateral Commission poo poo, but not everyone on the left is as gifted with a Evergreen load of cynicism like you or I.

Fair points by everyone who replied and it's true that not everyone has a resource like this thread as a collective memory of all the grim poo poo politicians do.

I'd expect someone like Mason to do some research and apply some critical thinking, but perhaps that expectation is based on who he presents himself as rather than who he actually is

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1523983670067220480?t=qwgNBa1MnucTAdD_l5-9XQ&s=19

Absolute state of that.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1523963554742915074?t=wOb8tTQKuV6HJWnthxvsgg&s=19

Country of perverts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More 👏 Women 👏 Palace 👏 Guards

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Christ how can anyone stand how grim this country is. Charles sitting on a golden throne talking about reducing the cost of living (by magic). BDS by public bodies to be banned, direct action protest to be banned, human rights act to be replaced. The base will remain onside because the miserable gits that make up a fair proportion of this country will happily trade their own standard of living as long as someone else gets it worse, and labour will go along with it because they're a bunch of authoritarian shits too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This bit is kindof funny:

quote:

The Prince of Wales said the government will bring forward a Schools Bill and a Higher Education Bill to reform education, to ensure children can “fulfil their potential wherever they live”.

Such new legislation is expected to be brought forward to overhaul England's schools, with crackdowns on truancy and a shake-up to the funding system. It could also be used to set minimum qualification requirements for a person in England to be eligible for student loans to go to university, effectively restricting access.

Turns out "fulfil their potential" for some can mean "live in the dirt where you belong you feckless poor".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1523982714814222338

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Turns out "fulfil their potential" for some can mean "live in the dirt where you belong you feckless poor".

Just the "gods and clods" bit from SP in legislative form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTL35S_jRw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Juche Couture posted:

Christ how can anyone stand how grim this country is. Charles sitting on a golden throne talking about reducing the cost of living (by magic). BDS by public bodies to be banned, direct action protest to be banned, human rights act to be replaced. The base will remain onside because the miserable gits that make up a fair proportion of this country will happily trade their own standard of living as long as someone else gets it worse, and labour will go along with it because they're a bunch of authoritarian shits too.

Because it's the same poo poo that's gone on for longer than I've been alive, I'm numb to it all. That's how you stand it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Pretty sure there are going to be huge chunks of the education reform act dedicated to banning woke ideas and 'section 28 but for trans.'

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Juche Couture posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if labour had a bigger problem with any of those things or the people doing them than they do with themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd sure beat them moaning about how the Lib Dems and Greens are a threat to the profits of drug gangs and nuclear weapon manufacturers or how Durham police are being mind manipulated by Trotsky, yes.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

If you told me that every year they make up a new ‘hallowed tradition’ that nobody’s ever thought about before, and everybody goes along with it without realising, I’d believe you

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite
The education bill seems to mostly be about forcing all remaining schools in England to join multi academy trusts, perhaps the shittest method of operating schools ever devised. There is no evidence that this improves schools but it does funnel quite a lot of money to private interests, take power away from local councils and put it in private hands, and further crushes the already broken teaching unions.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TwoShanks posted:

The education bill seems to mostly be about forcing all remaining schools in England to join multi academy trusts, perhaps the shittest method of operating schools ever devised. There is no evidence that this improves schools but it does funnel quite a lot of money to private interests, take power away from local councils and put it in private hands, and further crushes the already broken teaching unions.

Working as intended then

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Answers Me posted:

If you told me that every year they make up a new ‘hallowed tradition’ that nobody’s ever thought about before, and everybody goes along with it without realising, I’d believe you
No but you see charles was on the secret pro eu spider throne which means boris is thoroughly owned

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Juche Couture posted:

I basically think everything you could point to as an example of British culture ranges from shoot me in the head boring to disgusting, but I try not to lose perspective about how bad the material circumstances are because all of the things you mentioned, and everything I care about besides, have either been worse in the past, or are worse somewhere else right now. That let's me at least ignore the cultural aspects - the way people talk, think, the things they like - and just exist in a mental space where things are better and people are better because there are a lot of people who can live up to that around. Not everyone is a festering gammon - and every country has a variation of these, even if they aren't as obviously decrepit. But I'm not talking about ignoring it all or becoming numb because I've had that phase and I'm coming out of it now.

Since it seems like there is no even medium term hope for the political situation in the UK to improve, I should stop worrying about that so much and think about what I can get involved in helping out with even if it is either small potatoes or, if it just can't happen right now, it can at least have some ground work put down. I've just started doing that lately, still gathering info and applying for things. Also I'm Scottish so I at least have the hope that another independence referendum could happen and extricate me from having to worry about how pathetic the UK is, and focus instead on how much Scotland is loving itself up.

So that's how I deal with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Had an ice cream while staring at the doomsday radar installation.

Doesn't really help with the state of things long term but was nice if weird while it happened.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They could of have got more ice cream in that cone.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

OwlFancier posted:

Had an ice cream while staring at the doomsday radar installation.

Doesn't really help with the state of things long term but was nice if weird while it happened.

OG golf ball installation was better :colbert:

good ice cream choice tho

*Edit* thinking on it, between them, tinsley towers and the yorkshire post building in leeds, many of yorkshires preeminent concrete monstrosities have gone

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 10, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

OG golf ball installation was better :colbert:

good ice cream choice tho

It is banoffee, and I've never actually seen the golf balls, I think they must have pulled them down before I ever went there.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Are the golf balls gone?!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Jakabite posted:

when you see how long it's been you are gonna poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Yeah since 1992 apparently, it's a big 3 sided phased array thing now, no mechanics they steer the beam by pulsing across a big sheet of emitters. The radomes are only used for keeping movable antennas out of the rain.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I saw them a few times when visiting family and it may have been my introduction to the concept of nuclear war as a kid, it was that or an ROC post found on a woodland walk

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They still have golfballs elsewhere, like men with hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ohhh I’m thinking of different golf balls then! Do love a good radar installation like