Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Raimi said he could only put his stamp on a couple of scenes and I would bet 5 bucks that the musical note fight was one of them.

Also Bruce Campbell trolled the annoying teens in my theater, so well done Bruce.

If I had to guess which scenes it is:

1. The one you said.
2. The mind fight between Professor X and Scarlett Witch. That scene keeps sticking with me. If we want to include the whole Illumanit fight.
3. Towards the end when Doctor Strange takes over dead Defender Strange.
4. Anything with Bruce Campbell.
5. When Strange, Chavez, and Christine get caught in the tunnel, with the eye close ups.

those felt the most Raimi-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Something I noticed about Chavez that seemed different from the comics was that the movie seemed to be setting up some connection between her and the book of Vishanti. The book gives you whatever you need, Chavez's power takes her where she needs to go. There's only one book (I think, since we're told it's kept in the space between universes) and there's only one Chavez. Finally, when the book gets burnt one of the pages is clearly shown with a five pointed star outline lit up as it burns. I was expecting them to reveal at the climax that she was some kind of manifestation of the book, but maybe there setting up for something down the line?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Book of Vishanti was a hilarious wet fart.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

1. The one you said.
2. The mind fight between Professor X and Scarlett Witch. That scene keeps sticking with me. If we want to include the whole Illumanit fight.
5. When Strange, Chavez, and Christine get caught in the tunnel, with the eye close ups.

There was a cool whip pan/Dutch angle shot during the wedding that jumped out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Arglebargle III posted:

The MCU has a long history of putting in references to major comics plot items that are deep cuts and only nerds would recognize, and then unceremoniously destroying them or subverting the comics expectations.

The entire Winter Soldier project all being dead before they even get there, Armin Zola blowing himself up right after he starts to sync up with his comics plot line, the references to Hawkeye turning evil in the comics, the multiple "parents of twins" references to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver before revealing their parents were nobodies, Thanos referencing death as a person (but, only in a metaphorical way), the Mandarin switcheroo, and the Book of Vishanti melting as soon as they get it are just a few off the top of my head.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Slashrat posted:

Just came back from watching the movie with some co-workers during an extended lunch break, and I gotta I say I'm utterly baffled that Scott Buck's Inhumans got referenced in a main MCU movie before Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was. I was utterly convinced that even Marvel itself wanted to forget that shitstain of a show existed.

Well it wasn't the first MCU show referenced in a movie. The first was Agent Carter because we saw that version of Jarvis (played by James D'Arcy) as Howard Stark's butler in Endgame. Then of course Matt Murdock was in Now Way Home. So Inhumans is the third one to receive an on-screen reference in film.

At this point, the only thing I can figure on Agents of SHIELD is that the showrunners spun that entire thing so hard into alternate universes within the show that we may never encounter that cast again. Which is a shame because I'd really like to see Daisy, Fitz, or Simmons get their due.

Which reminds me, I still need to suck it up and finish AoS. I never watched the final season because I got so bored with everything from the Framework on.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Raimi said he could only put his stamp on a couple of scenes and I would bet 5 bucks that the musical note fight was one of them.

Also Bruce Campbell trolled the annoying teens in my theater, so well done Bruce.

I've heard that Raimi said he wasn't able to get much of himself into this, but I haven't been able to find the interview where he states it. Anybody in this thread know where that is?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MoM is probably my favorite P4 movie so far and is in my Top 5 favorites of the MCU.

It was such a Raimi flick and say whatever you want about the story, the visuals were fantastic. I genuinely laughed out loud at the last after credit, it was great.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Almost Blue posted:

I've heard that Raimi said he wasn't able to get much of himself into this, but I haven't been able to find the interview where he states it. Anybody in this thread know where that is?

https://www.slashfilm.com/849139/doctor-strange-2-director-sam-raimi-on-returning-to-marvel-and-the-legacy-of-steve-ditko-interview/

It wasn't so much that he said he couldn't get much of himself into it, but he did point out that it was "softer" then it might have been.

quote:

"This is an existing series with established characters and a fan base. And the job is to complete mile 16 of a bridge that had been under construction for 15 years. And it takes a different set of skills to do that. It's got to work with what went before. It's got to lead into what's coming. It's got to be handled to hold the same audience expectations that those other films did."

quote:

"It was always to do justice to that which existed and to make a great experience moving forward and to set up future films. I think just any time a director reads a book or reads the screenplay and tells the crew what the part of it is, that is their style imprint. Just looking at it through the lens of your own mind's eye imparts your style to a piece, and your sense of pace about [how] the scene should run and focusing on what's important and what's dramatic — just those choices. Sticking with the Marvel universe, that really was how I approached it."

Also there's some inside baseball stuff in another interview about how his movie's creative team was working with the No Way Home creative team and doing stuff on the fly, so it's entirely possible he used those meetings to work his own stuff in.

There's also ANOTHER interview where Raimi describes Marvel as a "well oiled machine that makes blockbuster superhero movies" or thereabouts and he was shocked at how 'together' it was.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 9, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Krasinski is kind of perfect as Reeds the more I think about it. I felt mildly annoyed at his presence the whole time which is pretty accurate.

Nah this is who should be Reed

And no weird CIA association too!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Reed Richards has been in 3 movies in the last 20 years and a big part of the hype around Marvel regaining the FOX properties was that they'd finally do the Fantastic Four justice

Wanda logic: keeping one town in perpetual stasis to be with my family is bad and I'm awful for trying it but loving around with the book of evil, destroying an alternate version of myself to take her place and also directly killing hundreds of people is a-ok!

Wanda never apologized about the town in Wandavision. It ended with her embittered and angry about what she had to give up.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Arglebargle III posted:

I loved that the holder for it looked like a Christmas tree topper.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

1. The one you said.

Raimi said he was able to affect every scene in the movie actually. That bit about him only having a veto over 2 scenes is some fan to fan monkeycheese stuff

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Rumor has it that the director of the movie actually directed the movie

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

None of those people were part of the original comics Illuminati. They apparently did plan a Black Panther cameo, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons.

Winston Duke as Black Panther would've been too good for this movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Raimi said he was able to affect every scene in the movie actually. That bit about him only having a veto over 2 scenes is some fan to fan monkeycheese stuff

Link?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like the big thing I've seen people complain about with this movie is it doing Wanda "dirty" and I just can't bring myself to care.

She was such a boring character, and her turn as a straight up villain is way more entertaining.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is what they’ve been setting up so I’m not sure either.

What made Wandavision some waht interesting was they let her kind of be a villain. But then half walked it back.

This one was the best she’s ever been.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It was a twitter post. I'll see if I can find it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't really get it as a criticism either. How is it doing a character dirty when you make them the best villain an MCU movie has ever had?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Imagine going from Girl In Jeans to the loving witch-terminator and calling it a downgrade.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
She was desexualized and actually has an agenda that doesn't revolve around a husband or boyfriend, that has to be how they 'did her dirty'.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Well don't get too crazy, her entire motivation is still about being a mother.

edit: I laughed when alt Wanda was depossessed and her first line was "the BOYS! I've gotta get back to the BOYS"

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 10, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MoM, made for a really good Mother's Day movie. IMAX theatre was packed with families.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I thought the ending of Wandavision sucked poo poo so I'm eternally grateful to this film for just going all out making Wanda a kickass Terminator-esque villain and then killing her off instead of trying to do some awkward redemption arc.

It's a credit to Elizabeth Olsen's portrayal that she still manages to generate significant amounts of pathos, particularly in the last scenes where she realises "her" children are terrified of her.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Strange Mom

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I'm sure i'm the first person to say this...

Is there a universe where this movie wasnt hot garbage

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vilgefartz posted:

Yes, you are the first person to say that, and you know it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vilgefartz posted:

Yes this one. Boom, roasted.

Also, I think the whole doing Wanda dirty thing is that fact people wanted her to be redeemed and not turn into psycho crazy woman. An uncharitable analysis would read it as her not being able to control her emotions because she is a women who can't control her emotions and no one wanting to listen to her. People want their favorite characters to be avatars for good and having Wanda go full on villain probably makes people uncomfortable.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I don't really get it as a criticism either. How is it doing a character dirty when you make them the best villain an MCU movie has ever had?

Also Marvel has completely given up on doing coherent character progression (like how Tony goes from "build lots of robots to fix things" -> "oh no, I dont need loads of robots" -> "build lots of robots to fix things" -> "oh no, I don't need loads of robots" etc etc) or the implied romance between Widow and Hawkeye being thrown out the window in favour of a romance between Widow and Banner which also gets largely thrown out the window. So I've given up on expecting them to do it.

Yeah, Wanda in the movie seems like a bit of a leap from Wanda in the show. But show Wanda's character arc was a whole load of nothing, and movie Wanda loving owned. So that's a win for movie Wanda.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wanda in this is more terrifying than anything else I've seen in the entire MCU (not exactly stiff competition) and owned hard.

The movie owned hard in general.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yes this one. Boom, roasted.

Also, I think the whole doing Wanda dirty thing is that fact people wanted her to be redeemed and not turn into psycho crazy woman. An uncharitable analysis would read it as her not being able to control her emotions because she is a women who can't control her emotions and no one wanting to listen to her. People want their favorite characters to be avatars for good and having Wanda go full on villain probably makes people uncomfortable.

Fortunately, the MCU has lots of other women heroes so just having one go batshit crazy doesn't come across as sexist.

Well, not lots.

Two others.

Well, one still alive.

Still!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

Fortunately, the MCU has lots of other women heroes so just having one go batshit crazy doesn't come across as sexist.

Well, not lots.

Two others.

Well, one still alive.

Still!

Lucky for us they're introducing women by the binder-full in the disney+ series. Now we got ladyhawk, black widow's sister, girl loki, photon, and more are coming. We also got a new one in this movie.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

At least for me they 'did her dirty' by offing her kind of abruptly at the end. Loved everything before that. Like, we don't see her die, sure, but within this movie it just didn't feel like she had an appropriate send-off after this much build up. Was there what, 3 lines of dialogue between when she realized that her boys were scared of her and she decided to destroy the darkhold tower?

After being in the films so long, and having a whole tv show, just felt abrupt to have her decide suicide-by-destroying-evil-mcguffin was the only solution. It's a dang shame they have this great villain but then have her die at the end. Keep her around to ally with Kang or something.

quote:

I mean, they do redeem her through the action of destroying the evil mcguffin, which saves all the universes.

And while I'm cool with the plot being 'I want mah boys', it's still weird that Vision is only mentioned in passing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shageletic posted:

It was a twitter post. I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah until then I’m not gonna believe this random hearsay. The source can’t just be “trust me on this one dawg”

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah until then I’m not gonna believe this random hearsay. The source can’t just be “trust me on this one dawg”

I've gotta say, maybe you're putting the burden of proof on the wrong side of this one dawg. Directors usually get to direct, the idea that rami didn't get to direct the movie he was the director for seems kinda out there to me, not sure why you need citations for the idea that rami actually got to direct the movie they hired him to direct.

My understanding here is that most of the action sequences requiring VFX were storyboarded out in previs before being shipped to the tens of VFX houses that assembled the shots. Rami only had so much he could do within those set-pieces, and was commenting on how that's a different way of making movies than he's used to. I don't know how you can look at the finished product and say "No, I need evidence that Rami was involved in this movie at all!" because his influence was clearly dripping over most of the scenes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

I mean, they do redeem her through the action of destroying the evil mcguffin, which saves all the universes.

And while I'm cool with the plot being 'I want mah boys', it's still weird that Vision is only mentioned in passing.

I mean sort of she also killed lots of innocent people (and I guess the Illumaniti) and fixed a problem she created herself. though it gets weird for me cause does the Darkhold corrupt her or was she already corrupted, kinda like Arthus and the Frostmorne.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Cool

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He literally says that this took a different skillset and compared it to finishing a bridge that was over 90% done. But you also can watch the movie and do the Leo Point thing and say "that's a-Raimi!" pretty frequently so overall I'd say he managed to do a good job and get his directorial fingerprints on there. Sam Raimi Rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Believing they didn't let Raimi just drench this movie with his own style and sensibilities means you just didn't watch it. poo poo is a straight-up Comic Book movie Evil Dead.