Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

ClydeFrog posted:

Isaac's accent work was absolutely spot on. I can tell you as a London person that he sounds exactly like a number of North-East guys I've known. To get it so right and not default to all encompassing mockney is quite an achievement.

I was initially "oh no" at the trailer, but bloody hell, he really nailed this

As a born and raised north Londoner I disagree! It’s heaps better than a lot of American attempts, but it’s still pretty hokey. It’s lots of little things, like the occasional wrong vowel sound, but also the wider syntax and vocabulary is all over the place. Little Americanisms here and there. I mean I think he gets away with it due to the nature of that character. And it coulda been worse. But I wouldn’t call it spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MokBa posted:

Okay, but it’s actually Doctor Strange IN the Mom.

It's really-really Dr. S VS. the Mom. Which I have come to think is intentional.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Isaacs noted in an interview that he based the accent and vocabulary on the actual British staff and extras helping make the show as they were filming, for whatever that's worth.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
MoM don't pay for Strange

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The worst accent in the MCU is Cumberbatch’s. There isn’t a single state in the US where people sound like that, he sounds like if someone learned English from a robot on the moon

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

The worst accent in the MCU is Cumberbatch’s. There isn’t a single state in the US where people sound like that, he sounds like if someone learned English from a robot on the moon

As a southerner I find it as strange (heh) as any other northerner accent so it’s pretty spot on for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Should have gotten Hugh Laurie to play Strange.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know a single Londoner who sounds like Stephen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Anita Dickinme posted:

As a southerner I find it as strange (heh) as any other northerner accent so it’s pretty spot on for me.

Canonically he’s a Philadelphian who studied medicine in New York City. I’m a New York native who went to school in Philly and lives down south now. The NE//Mid Atlantic is such a distinct set of terrible hard consonants and garbled phonemes and Benedict doesn’t sound one iota like he’s ever even been to either city, much less grew up there or lived there.

But also, imagining Dr. Strange with a South Philly/Fishtown accent is giving me a serious case of the giggles.

“Aw c’mon now Wander, chill da gently caress out and we’ll go down da shore dis weekn’ an grab a wudder ice” lmao

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly his accent sounds identical to Cumberbatch's in my head.

I live in South London and while I can't say I know anyone that talks like Stephen, it's a better attempt at a broad southern England accent than 99% of Americans do. And it's literally supposed to be an America's idea of a generic UK accent so I don't see an issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

stev posted:

Honestly his accent sounds identical to Cumberbatch's in my head.

That's because it basically is. Laurie, Cumberbatch, and a few other English/Irish actors all do the same "neutral" Mid-Atlantic accent that they teach limey bastards to help them get rid of their trilled R's.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Rarity posted:

I don't know a single Londoner who sounds like Stephen.

With a V!

Well. That's the thing about London, it's very mixed. We are a very broad church.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

MOM made me accept it. Ofc he sounds like he's from nowhere. He's Dr Strange.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shageletic posted:

MOM made me accept it. Ofc he sounds like he's from nowhere. He's Dr Strange.

Yah, I kinda got endeared to his accent during MOM.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The next movie should be about trying to find Scarlet Witch's missing accent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

Canonically he’s a Philadelphian who studied medicine in New York City. I’m a New York native who went to school in Philly and lives down south now. The NE//Mid Atlantic is such a distinct set of terrible hard consonants and garbled phonemes and Benedict doesn’t sound one iota like he’s ever even been to either city, much less grew up there or lived there.

But also, imagining Dr. Strange with a South Philly/Fishtown accent is giving me a serious case of the giggles.

“Aw c’mon now Wander, chill da gently caress out and we’ll go down da shore dis weekn’ an grab a wudder ice” lmao

It would work if he chewed his words a little more, give the impression he's trying really hard to clear the accent from his speech like Avery Brooks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It kind of flares up when she gets mad in this film, just a bit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

The money you paid for an account here went to a much worse person than my Patreon money.

I haven't gone for her Patreon or anything, but I like Natalie Gold, too. She's the one "reactor" I can actually stand.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

His American accent sounds just as bad in the exact same way. Unless "that's the joke".

They both just "OV-ER AN-NUN-CI-ATE EVER-Y WORRRD".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't gone for her Patreon or anything, but I like Natalie Gold, too. She's the one "reactor" I can actually stand.

His American accent sounds just as bad in the exact same way. Unless "that's the joke".

Her Patreon includes the uncut reactions, so it’s like watching a movie with a non-annoying friend.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know that it is a joke, given that Hugh Laurie's accent as House was apparently so good that lots of people didn't even realize he wasn't American in the first place. With the story going around (and I don't know it it was ever verified or disproven) that the casting people were specifically told not to cast a British person as House, but Laurie was so flawless they didn't even realize he wasn't and just accepted him once they found out because his accent passed regardless. Which Zach Braff used as a joke at an award's ceremony, when he and Laurie presented together, stating that he didn't realize they were doing accents when Laurie spoke in his normal voice.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I don't know that it is a joke, given that Hugh Laurie's accent as House was apparently so good that lots of people didn't even realize he wasn't American in the first place. With the story going around (and I don't know it it was ever verified or disproven) that the casting people were specifically told not to cast a British person as House, but Laurie was so flawless they didn't even realize he wasn't and just accepted him once they found out because his accent passed regardless. Which Zach Braff used as a joke at an award's ceremony, when he and Laurie presented together, stating that he didn't realize they were doing accents when Laurie spoke in his normal voice.

I am one of the people who had no idea. But I also never been around people from New York so I didn’t know what a northern person sounded. My mind was blown when I saw a skit of him as a London policeman. Or maybe that was a show? I don’t remember but yeah felt like I was lied to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

Yeah, I remember when Avenue 5 came out that people were annoyed with how badly Laurie's accent had "slipped" over the years, including one or two particularly embarrassing professional reviews that outed themselves as to not having even finished the first episode of the show.

(For those who haven't seen the show -- you really should btw -- a lot of the show is about dismantling Laurie's professional image for both comic and horror potential. Also the best VFX on television.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I am one of the people who had no idea. But I also never been around people from New York so I didn’t know what a northern person sounded. My mind was blown when I saw a skit of him as a London policeman. Or maybe that was a show? I don’t remember but yeah felt like I was lied to.

Watch season 3 of Blackadder if you want maximum non-American Hugh Laurie.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I remember when Avenue 5 came out that people were annoyed with how badly Laurie's accent had "slipped" over the years, including one or two particularly embarrassing professional reviews that outed themselves as to not having even finished the first episode of the show.

(For those who haven't seen the show -- you really should btw -- a lot of the show is about dismantling Laurie's professional image for both comic and horror potential. Also the best VFX on television.)

I'm so used to Laurie's accent shifting that I no longer notice it, which adds another layer of surrealness to Avenue 5. A character will complain that his accent's changed, and I'll have no idea which one he was using 10 seconds previously.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maybe the next movie will see another dimension and we'll meet Doctor Strangehouse where it's Gregory House learning magic to try to fix his leg but ending up being the cranky rear end in a top hat Sorcerer Supreme.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Maybe the next movie will see another dimension and we'll meet Doctor Strangehouse where it's Gregory House learning magic to try to fix his leg but ending up being the cranky rear end in a top hat Sorcerer Supreme.

Just wait until we get to the dimension with Dr. Strangelove.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

stev posted:

Watch season 3 of Blackadder if you want maximum non-American Hugh Laurie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PrsSA7EUo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Also, she just uploaded the second episode on Patreon today and so far she's loving it more than any previous MCU show. She recently took a trip to Egypt so she'll actually be able to comment on what looks accurate about their filming there.

Her poll for an action movie this week currently has John Wick winning.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, she just uploaded the second episode on Patreon today and so far she's loving it more than any previous MCU show. She recently took a trip to Egypt so she'll actually be able to comment on what looks accurate about their filming there.

Her poll for an action movie this week currently has John Wick winning.

She's gonna hate what happens to that dog, but the rest should be fun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Saw Multiverse over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The cameos were all great.
-I appreciated that they drew from several places, and I like how Black Bolt being played by Anson Mount kind of tacitly admits that Inhumans was a mistake and not in 616 canon.
-Xavier and Richards were also nice surprises that could set up their future crossovers, even though the whole Illuminati was there just to die.
-Captain Carter was nice to see, as well as Monica's mom being Captain Marvel, though I'm not sure how that would work.
-Wanda going full supervillain/Terminator/horror monster was great, though I would've liked maybe a little bit of misdirection of being on Strange's side before the reveal. They kind of sped through that plot point.
-It was definitely a Sam Raimi movie. As soon as they had the corpse raising scene I knew they were going full Evil Dead with it.
-Clea showing up is interesting, and I'm guessing the whole pining over Christine thing is done now.
-Wanda's totally not dead, she still has to reunite with White Vision.

It's funny how people criticized the Sony Spider-Man movies for being too bloated and introducing too many characters, but now we've got the MCU equivalent of that and they actually managed to balance it really well. Which means the difference is that Sony just has kinda lovely writers for their superhero movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

Picture him being from Baltimore and saying "Aaron earned an iron urn."

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

-Captain Carter was nice to see, as well as Monica's mom being Captain Marvel, though I'm not sure how that would work.

(minor MoM spoiler) I assume in that universe Maria flew the experimental jet or whatever it was that crashed, giving her the powers instead of Carol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Has Schaeffer talked about MoM? Her take would be interesting given where Wanda is at the beginning of the movie.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What happened to this? Is she supposed to have spent too much time around Americans and taken on their accent or something? It's like they just forgot she had that accent.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

live with fruit posted:

Has Schaeffer talked about MoM? Her take would be interesting given where Wanda is at the beginning of the movie.

Apparently Michael Waldron and Schaefer are friends, and he leaned on her to get Wanda's character right. YMMV on how well he pulled that off, but there was an attempt made.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Patron posted:

What happened to this? Is she supposed to have spent too much time around Americans and taken on their accent or something? It's like they just forgot she had that accent.

They said they purposefully got rid of her accent as a style choice for Wandavision to give them the 60's sitcom accent.

But, the real reason is that it was a Whedon thing and Olsen/everyone else didn't want to keep doing it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's been over ten years in-universe since Age of Ultron and she's obsessed with American TV. The accent's gone.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

It's been over ten years in-universe since Age of Ultron and she's obsessed with American TV. The accent's gone.

She chaos magicked it away.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It comes back in, mostly when she's angry. I thought that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

It comes back in, mostly when she's angry. I thought that was cool.

Yeah, I noticed that! I thought it was a great touch.