Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
GSO to DFW in a ERJ-145 was the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I bought a red filter for an ordinary flashlight.

I 3D printed a rubber cap for my flashlight and stuck a little disc of red acrylic inside it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

I 3D printed a rubber cap for my flashlight and stuck a little disc of red acrylic inside it.

That is way above my effort threshold and probably a fod hazard (at least if I was the one putting it together). Half the time if I just need a light for a quick second I shut one eye and use my regular white light. I've got a sidewinder on my flight vest with blue and green lights that I'll pull out for more extensive use, but it's a pain in the rear end to get it back into its little MOLLE snap storage straps.

Anyway, MrYenko pointed out that Streamlight does in fact make a red penlight so I'll give that a try.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I tied a bread bag my phone like a animal.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://twitter.com/avsourcenews/status/1523298554386599936?s=21&t=MC3b79zVMXgB0tENwsBuZw

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6wqPxSx3Y

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rather horrifying accident at Area 51: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/area-51-test-pilots-mysterious-death-happened-heroically-flying-an-su-27-report

TL;DR, a normal flight in a Su-27 ended in tragedy. First, the landing gear when deployed gave an "unsafe" signal, and so a dry lake bed landing was attempted. The strut in question broke off immediately, and the airplane, on the verge of cartwheeling, took off again. Now with landing struts locked down and running out of fuel, the pilot and the backseat officer bailed out. The backseat guy was fine; the pilot died when his ejection seat didn't separate from him.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GSO to DFW in a ERJ-145 was the worst.

I see your 999 miles and raise you the 1196 mile pain train that is ONT-AUS.

gently caress me that was a terrible flight.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I was always lucky and got the single seat on ERJs. Window and the aisle? Best seats.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

I see your 999 miles and raise you the 1196 mile pain train that is ONT-AUS.

gently caress me that was a terrible flight.

Tiny Russian airlines were maxing out CRJ 200LR range on Siberian routes.
https://simpleflying.com/longest-50-seat-rj-flights/amp/

quote:

Kazan (KZN) to Barnaul (BAX): 1,374 miles (2,211km); UVT aero; CRJ-200
Arkhangelsk (ARH) to Krasnodar (KRR): 1,335 miles (2,180km); Rusline; CRJ-100/200

Wikipedia claims UVT aero had LRs and their max range is 1345nmi.

Longest in the US from the article is:

quote:

Eureka (ACV) to Denver (DEN): 1,026 miles (1,651km); United Express (SkyWest); CRJ-200

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Full Collapse posted:

I was always lucky and got the single seat on ERJs. Window and the aisle? Best seats.

I had that seat on a CRJ-900 from DFW to YVR. Not bad, but Air Canada doesn’t let anyone but first class use the forward lav; had to go to the back for that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Tiny Russian airlines were maxing out CRJ 200LR range on Siberian routes.
https://simpleflying.com/longest-50-seat-rj-flights/amp/

Wikipedia claims UVT aero had LRs and their max range is 1345nmi.

So the Russians were committing crimes against humanity well before the Ukraine invasion. Neat.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I used to fly a lot out of GSO so I'm pretty used to the 145s. Get the single seat and flip the window armrest up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I had that seat on a CRJ-900 from DFW to YVR. Not bad, but Air Canada doesn’t let anyone but first class use the forward lav; had to go to the back for that.

For international flights to the US that’s actually a TSA regulation. Maybe CATSA copied that?

It’s really dumb on a single aisle with both forward and aft lavs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone been on an Air Canada A220 yet? Specifically front of the bus?

How does it compare to an AC 737-Max?

Probably doing YYC-YHZ (Halifax) this fall and looking at flights.

Beef Of Ages posted:

So the Russians were committing crimes against humanity well before the Ukraine invasion. Neat.
lol

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 10, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

For Intra Siberia your other options are probably something like a 3 stop AN-2 marathon

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr_Strangelove posted:

“First class” on a CRJ is a ballsy loving thing to charge money for, ain’t it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I will never forget getting insanely lucky on every leg of my first airline travel and having the 2-row of a nearly empty super-80 to myself 4 times in a row

E: especially on the 13 passenger / fuel light DFW-OKC segment, the gap between brake release and cruising altitude was almost imperceptible

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 10, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MrYenko posted:

It's a premium experience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqn6fnHv7aI

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I flew from Chicago to Shanghai once on a 747 that was 3/4 empty. I had all 4 seats in the middle row to myself for the whole ~19 hour flight. A lie flat bed and two aisles!! It was incredible.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

david_a posted:

Does there happen to be a biz jet that’s notorious for having a high-pitched whine?

I’m at my parents near Louisville and the Kentucky Derby was yesterday so a billion little jets were in town. Last night I heard something overhead that felt like a smaller jet from the normal turbine noise but there was also a very loud whistling/whining noise. Overcast so I didn’t see anything. Could have just as easily been a ragged UPS 737 for all I know (Louisville is a hub) but I wondered if that was a known issue for one of those smaller planes.

Coming from a while back, but the Bombardier Challenger 300 whines like an F-104 Starfighter when it flies over at low speed and certain flap settings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

first on a DL CRJ9 is pretty indistinguishable from first on a 738. i guess there's no IFE but that's never really mattered to me.

how tall are yall on those E145s? something about the fuselage diameter always made me feel like I was getting scrunched up in the single seat, and I'm only 5'10. probably a psychological thing

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

For Intra Siberia your other options are probably something like a 3 stop AN-2 marathon

Don't tempt me with a good time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

first on a DL CRJ9 is pretty indistinguishable from first on a 738. i guess there's no IFE but that's never really mattered to me.

how tall are yall on those E145s? something about the fuselage diameter always made me feel like I was getting scrunched up in the single seat, and I'm only 5'10. probably a psychological thing

I'm 6'5. Flying in general isn't much fun outside of a premium cabin, and the number of E145 flights I've taken (68 over the years) suggests issues with my sanity. Thank piss for the exit row.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrChips posted:

Coming from a while back, but the Bombardier Challenger 300 whines like an F-104 Starfighter when it flies over at low speed and certain flap settings.

I’ve always heard the F-104 resonance noise described as a “howl” not a whine (just like the Vulcan). Are there more howlers out there?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not a pilot, but I'm on the approach to a GA airport and a lot of the bizjets that land there sound more like a whine compared to the roar of bigger planes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Not a pilot, but I'm on the approach to a GA airport and a lot of the bizjets that land there sound more like a whine compared to the roar of bigger planes.

That's just the passengers you're hearing. :v:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm a lil manlet at about 5'8" tall and 5'8" wide. Legroom is rarely an issue for me, but the 145 is tight. It's an absolute must to get your bag in an overhead in the single seat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

david_a posted:

I’ve always heard the F-104 resonance noise described as a “howl” not a whine (just like the Vulcan). Are there more howlers out there?

The T-37 Tweet was kinda obscenely loud for what it was, for similar reasons. It was a higher pitched intake screech rather than a resonant howl like the F-104.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
MU-2s aren't the same kind of noise, but they are obnoxiously loud for what they are

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

stealie72 posted:

I live under an approach to AUS and agree. It is particularly noticeable on F1 weekend.

Also Musk's G550 is exceptionally whiny.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

The T-37 Tweet was kinda obscenely loud for what it was, for similar reasons. It was a higher pitched intake screech rather than a resonant howl like the F-104.

Yeah this one makes a hideous noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NG0h2u4Wec

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

MU-2s aren't the same kind of noise, but they are obnoxiously loud for what they are

I’m not sure this one comes across on video since there doesn’t seem to be anything distinct about the noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQhCTMS8JE

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Can't watch that one right now because I'm technically at work, but it probably doesn't come across on video, like you say. I have never heard any other turboprop be that loud in person though.

To (literally) top it off you have to move the ladder 7 times between 6 different fuel tanks, and I don't remember if this is remarkable because its category doesn't normally require it or if it's because you don't normally need to be rated for a plane to fly under 91, but flying the MU-2 evidently requires you to be rated for it. I kinda want one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The MU-2 is light enough (less than 12,500 lb) that it wouldn't normally require a type rating in the USA -- just a regular multi engine certificate. However, its performance is apparently different enough from the light piston twins that most people train on that it was becoming a problem.

If I recall correctly, you don't actually need a type rating per se to fly one, but you do have to do special additional training on the aircraft itself that cannot be substituted with hours in another type.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

In 2006, the FAA issued a Special Federal Air Regulation (SFAR) directed at MU-2 operations, with standards exceeding a type rating in some aspects. The training curriculum was standardized and pilots required to receive type-specific initial and recurrent training. A fully functional autopilot became a requirement for single-pilot operations, and FAA-approved checklists and operating manuals must be on board at all times. Unusual for this SFAR, pilot experience in other aircraft types cannot be used to comply with MU-2 operational requirements.

So it's not a type rating, but you do need specific training to fly it legally. Here's the Flying Mag article that Wikipedia blurb references: https://www.flyingmag.com/technique-proficiency-training-works/ Since the specific training was instituted, it's had a better safety record than comparable aircraft.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

stealie72 posted:

This makes me glad that the biggest aircraft I've seen in or out of the private airport across the street is a Citation.

The most common flights out of there are a couple of groups. One is a bunch of Piper Cubs (and something that looks near identical that escapes my mind) that seem to often take off in the slowest formation flying I've ever seen. The other is a collection of Pitts Specials. You can always tell when one of them goes by without even looking up because I'm pretty sure they treat the throttle like an on-off switch, and it's only "off" when they come back to land.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

The MU-2 is light enough (less than 12,500 lb) that it wouldn't normally require a type rating in the USA -- just a regular multi engine certificate. However, its performance is apparently different enough from the light piston twins that most people train on that it was becoming a problem.

If I recall correctly, you don't actually need a type rating per se to fly one, but you do have to do special additional training on the aircraft itself that cannot be substituted with hours in another type.

It's got a weird control setup that uses spoilers for roll authority and it's crazy that it took so long for specific training to be mandated. That's not to say the unique features don't work, they do and very well, but letting pilots hop into it straight from other airframes and be caught by surprise caused a lot of damage.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 10, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's too bad the McDonnell 220 is no longer flying to setting the "loudest business jet" debate

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There are a number of 737-200 operating out of and around YUL.

They loud.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FrozenVent posted:

There are a number of 737-200 operating out of and around YUL.

They loud.
Remote Quebec/NWT/Labrador routes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

737-200s with gravel kits still have a tight grip on that niche.