Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm still using my Radiant Pillar but I renamed it The Proletarian and it has a nice red booster trail. Now I just have to master base building so I can commit some Space Brutalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

So how long did it take y'all to figure out that when you land inside the Atlas Interface, you can learn new Atlas words by running around and stepping on the glowing balls on the floor?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

OU is Offensive Unit - GOU is General Offensive Unit, ROU is Rapid Offensive Unit.
SV is Service Vehicle - MSV is Medium Service Vehicle, GSV is General Service Vehicle. Really the Strategic Tenacity should be an LSV, Limited Service Vehicle.

The naming convention is from Ian M. Banks' Culture novels.

My LOU Imaginative Pseudonym would like a word, sir.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Are you on PC? I'd love the seeds for all of these and the multitool

Sorry the collection is years old at this point, could be anywhere in the starter galaxy :(
The only thing i bothered to name and build a base around is the little green guy.
edit: Slinkerbase can be found here, along with this little ship, at least!

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 8, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd buy NMS multitool and spaceship merch.

I'd love an accurately-scaled multitool. Bonus points if it actually did stuff like check temperatures, distance, maybe it could even be a level.

Buy an assault rifle with rangefinder, slap a thermometer on it and paint it in garish neon colors of your choice. Done. :v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Sorry the collection is years old at this point, could be anywhere in the starter galaxy :(
The only thing i bothered to name and build a base around is the little green guy.
edit: Slinkerbase can be found here, along with this little ship, at least!

I think they mean the actual item seed so they can throw it into a save modifier.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Hot drat, I wish there was a scanner module that pings flora and minerals you haven't scanned yet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Government Handjob posted:

Hot drat, I wish there was a scanner module that pings flora and minerals you haven't scanned yet.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. There's so much flora and minerals on some planets your UI would just be a solid wall of annoying signals.

Though they could add an audio signal instead, to keep the clutter down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Libluini posted:

I'm not sure that's a good idea. There's so much flora and minerals on some planets your UI would just be a solid wall of annoying signals.

Maybe be able to set up a filter that only alerts you of the nearest unscanned thing and only when you've scanned over 50 or maybe 75% of all flora/fauna/minerals.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

PJOmega posted:

I think they mean the actual item seed so they can throw it into a save modifier.

Yup! Swedish, if you're on PC and just load your save into the save editor you can see the seeds of your ships and multitools.

Regardless, really nice ships and multitool again!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really want a rifle-styled multitool, but I'll settle for slowly increasing the slot numbers in my starter one, for now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Zombie Guy posted:

So how long did it take y'all to figure out that when you land inside the Atlas Interface, you can learn new Atlas words by running around and stepping on the glowing balls on the floor?

Seeing the glowing balls activated some kind of video game logic brain thingy for me so stepping on them was the first thing I did.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

After you figure out Ion Batteries and Life Support Gel how often do you hit your scanner anyways?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I decided to visit my first base on a whim because I hadn't been there in a while. It is a peaceful paradise planet, and I built it in the middle of nowhere. I walk out on the balcony and see this

So, I go and investigate and find this

First one I've seen in the wild.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

CaptainSkinny posted:

I walk out on the balcony and see this

I think you're about to have a lot of company.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think you're about to have a lot of company.

it's actually super convenient, like having rowdy neighbors but they ran the extension cord for their party out their window and plugged it in within arms reach of your bed

e: unless you mean "having people show up for the exotic weapon", which is fair but there's a fair number of S ranks floating around on reddit by now-- once you get hold of one pillar map drop you can do the save/reload trick to just jump from planet to planet hunting for exotic style multitools and they're really not that uncommon

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 9, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just dropped a save beacon and communication station at the pillar.

+17.61, -62.12

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CaptainSkinny posted:

I decided to visit my first base on a whim because I hadn't been there in a while. It is a peaceful paradise planet, and I built it in the middle of nowhere. I walk out on the balcony and see this

So, I go and investigate and find this

First one I've seen in the wild.

definitely going to drop by and nab this
EDIT: C class though? maybe not

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

definitely going to drop by and nab this
EDIT: C class though? maybe not

Can't you upgrade its class?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can't you upgrade its class?

Yeah, but it costs an ungodly amount of nanites, to the point that you might be better off just trying to strike an S-class right off the bat.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Just did a bit of googling and I can't find any Exotic multi-tools above C class anyway

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, but it costs an ungodly amount of nanites, to the point that you might be better off just trying to strike an S-class right off the bat.

Upgrading a C-class to B or A isn't that bad, honestly. It's the last bump up to S-class that's terrifying. I only managed this twice, once with my favorite ship and once with my favorite multi-tool.

And only because of the (now fixed) nanite-exploit from the last patch. Then I banked 77k nanites just in case I find a cool ship or tool later and want to do this again.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I haven't played this game in like 4 years and decided to start a fresh save. I didn't realize how much of a slog the early game would feel like, especially getting to a space station for the first time and seeing cool ships I can't buy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I name all my ships using the runabout convention. USS Danube, USS Spree, USS Yangtze, etc.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

NeurosisHead posted:

I haven't played this game in like 4 years and decided to start a fresh save. I didn't realize how much of a slog the early game would feel like, especially getting to a space station for the first time and seeing cool ships I can't buy.

In some ways, the slog never stops.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

In some ways, the slog never stops.

But can't you just buy what you want, eventually, rather than scan/mine for it all?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I find that I've run out of things I actually want to do. There's more things I could be doing (maximizing mining, journeying to the center of the galaxy) but most of the time I can't be bothered. Right now my half-hearted goal is to upgrade my solar sailer to S class, maybe get an exotic multi tool.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I find that I've run out of things I actually want to do. There's more things I could be doing (maximizing mining, journeying to the center of the galaxy) but most of the time I can't be bothered. Right now my half-hearted goal is to upgrade my solar sailer to S class, maybe get an exotic multi tool.

Take a break.

I've played this game for about 2-3 hours a day since mid February, and I'm at this point where the fun is diminishing, even though I'm not anywhere near "done" with whatever my game goals once were.

When my kid was 2, a friend gave us this busybox toy, it was a wooden cube with brilliantly colored, simple toys on each face, about two feet to a side. Little doors that opened and closed, beads, mirrors, slidey bits. Really well made but ultimately kinda shallow and my kid got bored of it faster than I thought she would.

NMS is like that for me. There's always something to do and 20 things to do on your way to get that thing done. It's a very compelling busybox, really enticing and engrossing for an initial period, then it becomes something you just pick up and play with for a while.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's definitely the kind of thing you can have a blast with for a while, get really invested in, make big plans for, and then suddenly one day you don't see the game, you just see the monotonous tasks and menu clicking and travelling and the illusion is broken. but then someday you get a weird itch and you find this window of new interest.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It really doesn't hurt the dev team really does keep building on the game. Six years and counting, no sign of stopping.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The biggest problem with NMS is that there is a ton of mundane poo poo that isn't a game killer but is just a big enough hassle to eventually turn you off it for a bit. The inventory system being a mess, the sheer number of clicks required for some crafting tasks, terrain still regenerating after building, the construction pieces only locking with other pieces in their family, base power systems being a hodgepodge of may require wires or may power automatically due to the parent piece being powered, planets being simultaneously huge and yet not offering a compelling reason to fully explore any of them, frigate expeditions often returning with the exact same things time and time again, settlements being an interesting but half baked menu game, lost freighter exploration being almost identical every time, the cooking system being on its own island of extraordinary complexity for no real reason, etc.

The game could really use a major update that offered no new content but just ripped out and refactored some fundamental systems. An inventory and crafting system overhaul - hell just an autosort and merge all inventory stacks alone would be a major improvement to how the game plays on a day to day basis. The big content updates are good for a week or two but always end up taking a backseat to these deeper issues imo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Regarding the huge planets with nothing on em: I'm hoping their next game is basically NMS: But One Planet. Seems like a true-to-scale planet where on foot travel would take over a year of non-stop walking could be just as or more interesting to explore than a galaxy full of planets that are just one environment spread over a whole world. Seems like you could also spend your whole game without running into anyone else or only very rarely encountering things that had already been named. They could pack all of the diversity of NMS into one world, but on a single world with much better terrain generation and deformation, cave layers, water systems, maybe jetsons poo poo in the clouds, etc.

Plus if they can crack that deep of a planetary terrain gen, if they do an NMS2, they got the formula for making every planet truly worth claiming

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Omnicarus posted:

The biggest problem with NMS is that there is a ton of mundane poo poo that isn't a game killer but is just a big enough hassle to eventually turn you off it for a bit. The inventory system being a mess, the sheer number of clicks required for some crafting tasks, terrain still regenerating after building, the construction pieces only locking with other pieces in their family, base power systems being a hodgepodge of may require wires or may power automatically due to the parent piece being powered, planets being simultaneously huge and yet not offering a compelling reason to fully explore any of them, frigate expeditions often returning with the exact same things time and time again, settlements being an interesting but half baked menu game, lost freighter exploration being almost identical every time, the cooking system being on its own island of extraordinary complexity for no real reason, etc.

The game could really use a major update that offered no new content but just ripped out and refactored some fundamental systems. An inventory and crafting system overhaul - hell just an autosort and merge all inventory stacks alone would be a major improvement to how the game plays on a day to day basis. The big content updates are good for a week or two but always end up taking a backseat to these deeper issues imo.

Coming into this game just this year, some things stick out as a bit surprising that they're so mundane and uninteresting, when they'd be clear targets for fixing. Like, you can randomize parts of ships and it looks great, but once you visit the 8 basic prefab buildings for each race, you've seen 'em all.

Then you have some things that cancel out the need for other boring tasks, like the "buy any tech you like" shops in the Anomaly obsoleting the grind you'd otherwise go through to obtain technology. Or, the ability to easily build extended storage on a freighter, when it's still more of a pain on planetary bases. These are mechanics that feel like they're "apologies" for earlier design decisions, rather than reworking the old designs.

And maybe my expectations were too high, but early on, I was surprised to see the same ground/planet-from-orbit textures repeating pretty quickly. I guess I kinda expected some level of procedural texture generation in this game that touted itself as being completely procedurally generated.

To balance out my criticism, quite a lot about this game blows me away. I played a little multi with a friend, and it's shocking how much of it just works with no bullshit, especially coming from Elite Dangerous. Their latest patch added automatic targeting for the very not-fun dogfighting. That's an amazing decision all by itself, since so many games, when they have a given feature, avoid simplifying them in any way. There's a clear "let's let the players enjoy themselves" direction in many of the design decisions.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Played properly for the first time in a long while. Someone on the anomaly got super excited over my robot dog (he came out of the egg sequencer in baby pink and runs around like an idiot, I love him) and it was downright heartwarming. Also found a planet where everything was bubbles. Some of the bubbles are rocks, some are just bubbles. The only animal life is bubbles. I want to adopt one.

e: also I am not yet bored of the silly little descriptors. Weather: Infinite toxic mist. Flora: Misplaced. Fauna: Forfeited.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 10, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sounds like Luton to me.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I wish terrain/flora/fauna generation would get ANOTHER pass. It’s so much better than release, but still is nowhere near the launch trailer and can make some very samey environments sometimes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What's up with Nexus missions aborting themselves after accepting them?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

What's up with Nexus missions aborting themselves after accepting them?

It seems to be a bug related to wanting you to collect a certain resource but then the target system it wants to send you to doesn't have a planet with that resource in it so it faults out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mylan posted:

It seems to be a bug related to wanting you to collect a certain resource but then the target system it wants to send you to doesn't have a planet with that resource in it so it faults out.

Is that what they've said? I've had it happen a couple of times and indeed today it was a mission where I had to gather 800+ of activated something or another and I already had it. I reported it anyway but man, the reward was like 250 quicksilver and a salvaged frigate module so drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For the frigate expeditions do you get better rewards the more ships you send out, or is it just a set amount if successful and more/better ships increases the success chance?