Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nearly 2 hours into ambuLAnce and I'm insulted about the pretty literal Chekhov's gun that has yet to fire

It'll probably be a decent payoff tho

/e: aaaaaaayyy there it is!

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:53 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

FFT posted:

Nearly 2 hours into ambuLAnce and I'm insulted about the pretty literal Chekhov's gun that has yet to fire

It'll probably be a decent payoff tho

/e: aaaaaaayyy there it is!

That movie is so stupid, I only watched it for Gyllenhaal. Worst bank robbers ever.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

FFT posted:

Aliens: Genocide #1 (1991)

Okay, but this dude is clearly full of crap. That is not the vest of a character we are meant to believe.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

old bean factory posted:

That movie is so stupid, I only watched it for Gyllenhaal. Worst bank robbers ever.
it was really poorly planned!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pilchenstein posted:

Ghost wouldn't be a haunted app pun though, you've got to at least give them that :v:

You're right. I feel bad now because I totally missed the pun and was rude about the movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Dr Strange 2 they put America Ferrera in a glass containment thingy, due to the common sense reasoning that people from other universes might have pathogens harmful to native life.

Which would work great except you can see gaps in the glass wide enough to stick your pinky through. It's not even airtight! The scientist lady isn't wearing any PPE whatsoever!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they have Dr Strange just wandering around.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's a doctor though

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't get why Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were ever in the Avengers universe. They're loving mutants!

Not to mention this QS looks like a chomo and dies like a bitch, and Wanda seriously needs some therapy or at the very least a pile of weed. Speaking of, did the movies ever explain WHO lobbed that bomb at their house that she always blamed Stark for?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I honestly don't get why Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were ever in the Avengers universe. They're loving mutants!

Not to mention this QS looks like a chomo and dies like a bitch, and Wanda seriously needs some therapy or at the very least a pile of weed. Speaking of, did the movies ever explain WHO lobbed that bomb at their house that she always blamed Stark for?

It was a Sokovian civil war or something. Some military shot it at her. They just bought Stark weapons and she blamed him for making weapons in general.

And some therapy is right. People keep saying that Wandavision was supposed to be her redemption (it wasn't, it was her villain origin) and they're forgetting that she was literally introduced to the MCU sitting a room she volunteered to sit in so Nazi scientists could mess with her brain. She was mad enough at Stark to be like "Sure Nazis, go nuts with the mind stone or whatever."

theironjef has a new favorite as of 03:41 on May 10, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Panfilo posted:

In Dr Strange 2 they put America Ferrera in a glass containment thingy, due to the common sense reasoning that people from other universes might have pathogens harmful to native life.

Which would work great except you can see gaps in the glass wide enough to stick your pinky through. It's not even airtight! The scientist lady isn't wearing any PPE whatsoever!

They also immediately let Strange out of his cage so he can walk around and get exposition after putting him in it for the exact same reason.

edit: and beaten--I really should read all the responses before I post, but was something that bugged me too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cowslips Warren posted:

Because in the comics they've been Avengers mainstays since the 60's.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

They're loving mutants!

In more ways than one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just finished The Power of the Dog and I've got questions about everything. What did any of that mean? Is there some kind've guide somewhere that could explain to me what any of that was??

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just finished The Power of the Dog and I've got questions about everything. What did any of that mean? Is there some kind've guide somewhere that could explain to me what any of that was??

Just google toxic masculinity

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was hard to be gay in 1920s Montana, and even harder to be gay with your sister-in-law’s freaky son

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Just finished Outer Range and even if I am a sucker for time travel stories, I think we may be starting to overdo the "character X is actually younger/older Y" bit, especially if it's played like the big reveal for the season finale. In this case though, there are several additional grievances: so the mysterious blond, blue eyed, outsider that is obsessed with the land they live in and has specifically dropped the nugged of info that something weird has happened to her when she was nine...is the blond, blue eyed nine years old kid? SHOCKING.

Also I felt like the series overstays its welcome (should have probably been 6eps instead of 8) and that nothing happens at the same time, after a while. The mystery starts interesting, but after we've seen what's on the other side it quickly becomes some kind of prequel for S2. And it seems like anything they could add to follow up this story is probably not interesting enough when explained more in detail, since we already know almost everything. The story should have been closed more neatly without all the plot hooks at the end.

Still, I've enjoyed the Twin Peaksy elements in the story, mostly the crazy rich neighbors (the main antagonist and the mastodon dude).

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:57 on May 10, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Just finished Outer Range and even if I am a sucker for time travel stories, I think we may be starting to overdo the "character X is actually younger/older Y" bit, especially if it's played like the big reveal for the season finale. In this case though, there are several additional grievances: so the mysterious blond, blue eyed, outsider that is obsessed with the land they live in and has specifically dropped the nugged of info that something weird has happened to her when she was nine...is the blond, blue eyed nine years old kid? SHOCKING.
It was way more obvious that Autumn was time-shifted Amy way earlier than the twist they did with Royal except they did at least telegraph (ayyyy) that with his reluctance to use modern technology.

Should have been a 2-hour movie and we should have seen a mastodon imo

Also the implication is you can only get a portal open when you're like 9 years old, OR that the ability runs in family lines, OR that it isn't supposed to make sense -- who chucked Trevor's corpse back through the hole? Not too crazy since the corpse was chucked in in the first place, but now it's a question of "how did it end up on the hill (that briefly disappeared for some reason) where somehow no one could easily just glance around and go 'hey, what the gently caress is that hole over there on your western pasture?'"

It's decent high strangeness, and perhaps with a better approach than JJ ever has with the mystery box, but it's still a similar approach of "gently caress you lol"

and then, also, the one time they show where the "western pasture" is on a map, it's very clearly the northeastern pasture on the border with the Tillerson's land

stringless has a new favorite as of 15:37 on May 10, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FFT posted:

It was way more obvious that Autumn was time-shifted Amy way earlier than the twist they did with Royal except they did at least telegraph (ayyyy) that with his reluctance to use modern technology.

It was in fact so obvious that I thought it was going to be a red erring for someone else to be revealed as the time traveller. I thought that the fact that Autumn has very visible moles on her face and Amy doesn't was a confirmation of that, although I guess you can develop moles with age.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I'm almost finished with Dark and so far I feel like if anyone was going to come up with a functional time travel paradox plot it'd be the Germans.
(Love it so far)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

It was in fact so obvious that I thought it was going to be a red erring for someone else to be revealed as the time traveller. I thought that the fact that Autumn has very visible moles on her face and Amy doesn't was a confirmation of that, although I guess you can develop moles with age.
Well, yeah, they did try that. Double fake. I do kind of want to at least skim a rewatch to see if the forehead scar is visible from the beginning.

As far as moles or not, two specific recurring big-blue-eyed dirty blonde characters was enough to give me suspicion, and the "do you remember anything before you were 9?" line confirmed it

Like obviously re: Royal "he just showed up one day and we took him in" meant he was also a time traveler, but the scale of it wasn't so obvious

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: The Master Emerald and the Chaos Emeralds are much smaller than they are in the games

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Sometimes the existence of a movie combined with the fact that I sat through it irritates me. This was the case for the sequel to Drumline. It's just the same movie, except now it's a girl and the "humbling initiation", the "good but they get in a fight and they get demoted/threatened to get removed" and the climax where they win the championship scenes the whole movie is built around are made more ridiculous and over the top. It's irrationally irritating because like with bring it on, there's not really any more you can do with the concept than make it more outlandish, but still.

the movie is not good

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 02:12 on May 11, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gaius Marius posted:

Just google toxic masculinity

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Watching through Ozark for the first time and dang the dropoff in quality between the second and third seasons is dire. Still good, but holy poo poo was this season made during a writer's strike?

Also if you turned this show into a drinking game where you took a shot every time Laura Linney did a smirk or eyebrow raise after a sentence I think you would be dead halfway through any randomly chosen episode

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I accidentally posted this in the Media That Did Not Age Well thread. But it is better suited for here:

A question I have about the Toy Story universe:

Do the toys automatically have the personality of the thing that they are supposed to be?

Like Buzz thinks he is, and has the personality of the cartoon/action figure/etc. Buzz Lightyear. And there are other examples of this.

But what about in a hypothetical scenario where, say a little girl gets given He-Man toys straight out of the box by her stupid arsehole parents. This little girl, being heteronormative as gently caress, (essentialy so this hypothetical can work), thus uses her He-Man and Skeletor figures to have tea parties together, do either of these toys either develop the personalities they were "made" to have?

Or lets say they get gifted to another kid, again straight out of the box so no time to develop personalities, who doesn't know they are He-Man and Skeletor, and instead names them 'Muscle Blondy" and "Purple Skull Face". Do these toys, who theoretically know no better, now adopt these as their names/personalities?

Because we see in the 3rd movie that established toys with established personalities get offended and affronted if played with "wrong". And we see in the 2nd movie that the same toy, as played with by different kids, develops different personalities.

So my question is would the He-Mana and Skeletor toys in my first scenario live lives of misery, forever being played with in a way that they weren't designed to, or would they be happy having tea parties at Mrs Havershams, coz it is all they know?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I imagine many of the toys have the kind of existential crisis that Buzz had in the first movie. Kind of like being unplugged from the Matrix in a sense. But it probably varies.

Toys that were particularly isolated seemed to hang on to their 'marketed' personalities to a greater extent. Others developed cargo cults like the aliens in the claw machine.

The Frankentoys in the first film, in spite of being horribly abused were extremely helpful to Woody and not violent at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"I understand how you're feeling." "I know what you're going through."

So loving tired of this one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We can get through this together

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Panfilo posted:

I imagine many of the toys have the kind of existential crisis that Buzz had in the first movie. Kind of like being unplugged from the Matrix in a sense. But it probably varies.

Toys that were particularly isolated seemed to hang on to their 'marketed' personalities to a greater extent. Others developed cargo cults like the aliens in the claw machine.

The Frankentoys in the first film, in spite of being horribly abused were extremely helpful to Woody and not violent at all.

Each kids bedroom really needs a psychiatrist toy cos god drat would those toys be in good need of therapy. What a depressing dystopian existence.
Only saw the first one and that was like close to three decades -or when ever it was in theaters- ago. Was that the entire point of those films?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also often a thing you should not say to someone going through mental trauma, up there with "oh don't worry, it always gets better"!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I can't come up with specific examples but have the feeling that most instances of "I know what you're going through" are immediately followed by a "... but". The person saying it isn't supposed to be helpful. I wanna say this often happens in horror movies to show how isolated the protagonist is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dr_rat posted:

Each kids bedroom really needs a psychiatrist toy cos god drat would those toys be in good need of therapy. What a depressing dystopian existence.
Only saw the first one and that was like close to three decades -or when ever it was in theaters- ago. Was that the entire point of those films?

Also often a thing you should not say to someone going through mental trauma, up there with "oh don't worry, it always gets better"!

The Toy Story movies are basically about various existential crises that toys go through.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spinoff idea. The existential crisis an anime figure goes through when owned by a weeb a little too into the character.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Would those full-size body pillows count as a toy? I bet they have a lot to say.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Think of it as a nature-versus-nurture thing, but starting with what is essentially a fully-formed mind. The toys have tendencies and default personalities defined by their design, but they're also influenced by their environment and experiences. Jessie was abandoned and it traumatized her, but she was able to recover through decades of love.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

dr_rat posted:

There's several themes that were explored.

One big theme is dealing with the problem of agency. The toys don't really have direct control over their lives, and they can't really act out of character in front of humans (this was touched on in the first film where Woody says "we may have to break a few rules here...") but then they wisely back off from going into too much detail; it's not clear what might happen or why toys have to "pretend" to be toys, but like time travel as a plot device the more you try to explain it the more confusing it gets to the audience. They also seem to derive purpose from.

The second film had Woody get taken by a collector and the sense of purpose challenged "why care about a kid who is going to abuse and abandon you when some neckbeard will cherish you forever?" and the horror and trauma of a toy who was abandoned in storage for DECADES, some serious cask of admontillado poo poo.

Part 3 was about how getting replaced can turn a toy evil. Toys are sentient but seldom truly unique, and seeing a beloved child bond with a doppelganger becomes devastating. Up to this point the antagonists were mainly human. It started to examine what happens when a toy's kid outgrows them-where do they go next? It also loops back to the first film with treating toys with respect, in this case not giving toys to kids too small to play with them without damaging them.

The fourth movie challenges Woody's whole conviction about being a toy for a child. What if there's more to their existence? Why do they have to constrain themselves to being subject to the fickle whims of children, why do they have to mourn the reality that even a kind child will grow up and move on while the toy is trapped in this horrifying immortality? Then there's also the concept that a child can somehow bestow sentience in an inanimate object. In this universe a spork is a spork, but when a child creates a little spork man in kindergarten it becomes 'Forky'. Unlike Buzz who initially believed he was a real astronaut, Forky insists he is trash and resists Woody's suggestion that he is even sentient. He doesn't just deny being a toy, he denies that he should even be sentient and spends half the film trying to commit suicide. The antagonist, while creepy, is more sympathetic than the villain in the third movie. Basically it's just Woody taken to a radical extreme, and it takes being captured and unsuccessfully helping the antagonist for Woody to step back and re evaluate his own convinctions.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Would those full-size body pillows count as a toy? I bet they have a lot to say.

They get to speak after the my little pony in a mason jar.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

The movie would consist of nothing but the :gonk::barf::gizz::goonsay: smilies combined and it would be long enough to put Logisticsto shame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Morpheus posted:

The Toy Story movies are basically about various existential crises that toys go through.

The entire central theme of the movies is basically existentialism. The first movie's arc with Buzz has been read either as him giving up religion or embracing it, but the main point is that he has to face the entire framework of reality he believed in turning out to be a delusion- though not leaving behind the things about it that he truly values. The second, one of my favourite 'deceptive movie descriptions' is 'an ageing cowboy has to choose between the love of his family and immortality'. And the third is basically the toys facing a clear metaphor for death, and the various trials and tribulations they encounter do map oddly well to various concepts of the afterlife.

I haven't seen the fourth, but sounds like it more or less follows on from that. The Brave Little Toaster, its spiritual prequel, also fits well here. The relatively vague and open themes of children's media actually fit the exploration of existential ideas- after all, they're not really that complicated, and inherent to every sentient being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was an old webcomic that did something like that as a gag. The Blue Fairy brings a sex doll to life and she instantly hangs herself.