Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been meaning to get to the Treehouse spot on the cape and Cape Cod Beer. Provincetown brewing allll the way out there was a surprisingly good find too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kashuno posted:

I’ve been meaning to get to the Treehouse spot on the cape and Cape Cod Beer. Provincetown brewing allll the way out there was a surprisingly good find too.

I forgot Treehouse has a spot out here. Beer budget is a little light this month so I'm not likely to stop by there but I did nab a 4-pack of Devils Purse Kolsch and it was lovely with some fish and chips.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yall like beeir in heire

I hate beer but I love mail

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Cold.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Waiting for the weather to improve so I can buy beer and lick the sweat off the can

I never open it though , too messy

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

just make sure you get the sticker right

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

>:^I

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kashuno posted:

I visited the new Deerfield MA location this last weekend and it’s uh…impressive to say the least. HUGE building with a ton of outside space. Can just walk in and get cans to go out of the cooler near the entrance. Actual beer hall is 2 levels (3rd level is under construction) with tons of seating on benches and high tops. Brick oven pizza made on-site and it’s good. Beer selection was lager-heavy for Treehouse and the line was quick.

Only downside: 3 beer tickets each for two people $50

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I'm taking a vacation to the Sacramento next month, and was hoping for some brewery recommendations around Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, and San Francisco area?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

I'm taking a vacation to the Sacramento next month, and was hoping for some brewery recommendations around Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, and San Francisco area?

We have a ton of good breweries here in Sac!

Great ones:
- Slice in Lincoln. Tiny tiny place. Holds like 25, but the beers are great. Hazy and WC IPA specialties.
- Moksa in Rocklin. Hazy and stout/BA stout specialties. Usually has a food truck.

Very good ones:
- Moonraker in Auburn. They went down a notch when their head brewer left and founded Slice, but are still very good. Founded on great hazys, but they brew everything now. Almost always has a food truck.
- Burning Barrel in Rancho Cordova. Only been there once or twice but good beers.

Good ones:
- New Glory in South Sac or Granite Bay. Granite Bay has a full restaurant.
- Urban Roots in South Sac
- Fort Rock in Rancho Cordova

Pretty decent:
- Out of Bounds in Rocklin or Folsom. Folsom spot is a full on gastropub with a large outdoor area with bocce ball courts and stuff. Rocklin is brewery and tap room only, but usually had a food truck.
- Red Bus in Folsom. Smaller, so variety isn’t as large as the others, but cool place.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 27, 2022

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Thank you for all the recommendations! My partner likes stouts, so Moksa will prolly be our pick. I'm hoping We can squeeze in Urban roots on the evening before our return trip for the tuesday special and bbq.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome, enjoy! Moksa is only like 10 minutes from where I live, so it's a frequent spot for us in the summer after we bring our kids to the park nearby. They usually have lots of cans to go as well. They're big into the BA stout bottle release thing and people go apeshit for them. They have a yearly membership that you pay for that gets you early access to the bottle stock. People line up at like 3am for 10am releases or whatever. It's insane. I've never done it because gently caress that.

I've never actually been to Urban Roots; just have had their canned beers from the grocery store.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 27, 2022

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
I'm going to be in the Grand Rapids area this week. Any things to keep an eye out for as I'm looking at local tap lists?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Always golden monkey. Never not golden monkey

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What are beers that don't actually taste like hops? I drunk a Real Ale Vamanos the other day which is apparently a Gose and didn't taste like hops which means I liked it. Any recognizable brands of Gose or similar type of beer?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What are beers that don't actually taste like hops? I drunk a Real Ale Vamanos the other day which is apparently a Gose and didn't taste like hops which means I liked it. Any recognizable brands of Gose or similar type of beer?

Look for styles labeled "Sour" (uggggghhhh). Any goses- at least the Americanized ones- should be similar to what you had. Berliner Weiss is another "sour" style that should be good. Though all that depends on how much you like acidic things.

Also look for wits/whites (Allagash White is the modern definition).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also, most Saisons should be less hoppy.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I’m assuming when you say you don’t like hops that you just mean IPAs. All beer has hops and there are a lot of styles where the dominant flavors come from the grains rather than the hops. Things like stouts and bocks and a bunch of other stuff I can’t think of right now. Also there are a lot of styles where hops are present but not at the level of an IPA and they bring a subtle bitterness to balance things out. This includes a whole bunch of lagers and the aforementioned saison.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We have a ton of good breweries here in Sac!

Great ones:
- Slice in Lincoln. Tiny tiny place. Holds like 25, but the beers are great. Hazy and WC IPA specialties.
- Moksa in Rocklin. Hazy and stout/BA stout specialties. Usually has a food truck.

Very good ones:
- Moonraker in Auburn. They went down a notch when their head brewer left and founded Slice, but are still very good. Founded on great hazys, but they brew everything now. Almost always has a food truck.
- Burning Barrel in Rancho Cordova. Only been there once or twice but good beers.

Good ones:
- New Glory in South Sac or Granite Bay. Granite Bay has a full restaurant.
- Urban Roots in South Sac
- Fort Rock in Rancho Cordova

Pretty decent:
- Out of Bounds in Rocklin or Folsom. Folsom spot is a full on gastropub with a large outdoor area with bocce ball courts and stuff. Rocklin is brewery and tap room only, but usually had a food truck.
- Red Bus in Folsom. Smaller, so variety isn’t as large as the others, but cool place.

Appreciate this post. Flew down from Portland to buy an SUV, gonna swing through Slice on my drive home for a case or 2.

Currently sitting a half mile from Urban Roots, but their beer is pretty hit or miss for me.

highme fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 8, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

highme posted:

Appreciate this post. Flew down from Portland to buy an SUV, gonna swing through Slice on my drive home for a case or 2.

Currently sitting a half mile from Urban Roots, but their beer is pretty hit or miss for me.

Looks like they’re out of cans of it, but get a crowler of Gruesome Greens. It’s a Nelson WC IPA and probably one of their best WCs I’ve had.

If they have Orange Glow in any capacity, get some. It’s probably their best single hazy they’ve made so far. It just won a gold medal at some beer thing this past week.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Any mass produced macro lager. They all contain hops, but in such minute amounts that they're not even noticeable. This is why they're horrible. Hops = good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

pastry stouts

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm no expert but I used to be a lot more hop-averse (IPAs), and I found that I really gravitated toward Belgian styles. Especially the fancy Trappist stuff, but really anything like a trippel was my jam. Along the same lines, brown ales.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It’s red grapefruit kolsch season here which is wonderfully crushable and a mile from hoppy

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ruby Red Kolsch slaps and is cheap as poo poo.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My breakfast booze is a Salty Dog (bonus points for Ruby Red) and Kolsch is my favorite German light style. What I’m saying is where is this from?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

highme posted:

My breakfast booze is a Salty Dog (bonus points for Ruby Red) and Kolsch is my favorite German light style. What I’m saying is where is this from?

Genesee makes Ruby Red Kolsch

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

warm weather means a lot more fruited sours, hell yeah

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
gross.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

actionjackson posted:

ban me, gas thread, close forums

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Double posting from the discord. It was basically flavored almond milk.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

don't worry the stores are still 90% IPAs

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

actionjackson posted:

don't worry the stores are still 90% IPAs

You're shopping at the wrong stores.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I *still* have not had a smooj

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

change your avatar coward

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Blind Pig clone following Morebeer's version of the recipe one week into fermentation (4 days before dry hop). Going to brew this guy Bertus's version of the recipe this weekend and compare. The big difference is in the hop bills, Morebeer's calls for Magnum, Cascade, and Willamette while Bertus's version calls for Apollo, CTZ, Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe. Never actually had Blind Pig so the judgment will be more on what I like instead of fidelity to the original.

e: This is not the homebrew thread, so have a picture of Grimm's hefe.

This thing loving slaps, can't recommend highly enough if you like hefes

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 18, 2022

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

lament.cfg posted:

change your avatar coward

buy me a new one moneybags

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

danbanana posted:

good point, i should try moving to another country

the red one is really nice, much more tart than sweet due to the cranberries

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

actionjackson posted:

Can you taste the cream cheese powder? Having trouble imagining what that’s like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Snack Bitch posted:

Can you taste the cream cheese powder? Having trouble imagining what that’s like.

I will let you know in a few hours friend :cheers: