Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

tell me you're straight without telling me you're straight

This. Eurovision is iconic, and very, very gay. It's also great when certain EE countries get aneurysms with how gay it is (looking at you, Russia and Hungary!). And I well remember when Russia sent those twin girls who actually put up a pretty good performance, but the year was 2014 and they got absolutely crushed in the popular vote. I strongly suspect this year will be no different, which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Xarn posted:

Do people actually watch Eurovision? I just learned that apparently there are semi finals, and I haven't even heard they are going on so far.

It's extremely fun. Join us!

Though if you're not already into it, it's OK to just watch the final and skip the semis. But pretty often some of the most funny and quirky acts get eliminated, so you might be missing out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I watch/listen to commented broadcast of the final where they're making fun of the whole thing. Some performances might not even be bad or they are silly on purpose. And then you can also laugh at voting shenanigans (like Greece and Cyprus juries giving each other highest marks and such).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Go and find the ESC thread in GBS. There is a special voting system and live :f5: watch, give it a try!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Eurovision usually features no songs from genres I like, but I still follow it. It's just silly good fun and you don't get drunk Eurovision Ultras vandalising entire city blocks when they don't get as many points as they think they deserve, so…

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So I guess it's a Czechia thing then. I literally saw 1 mention of Eurovision in Czech in the past few months.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Torrannor posted:

This. Eurovision is iconic, and very, very gay. It's also great when certain EE countries get aneurysms with how gay it is (looking at you, Russia and Hungary!). And I well remember when Russia sent those twin girls who actually put up a pretty good performance, but the year was 2014 and they got absolutely crushed in the popular vote. I strongly suspect this year will be no different, which is cool.

LOL, Russia got banned from Eurovision. Estonia and Finland threatened to boycott the event if Russia was allowed to participate, and most of eastern European countries were about to join the boycott. SO EBU banned Russia from participating.

Anyway, congrats to Ukraine for winning the 2022 Eurovision contest!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xarn posted:

So I guess it's a Czechia thing then. I literally saw 1 mention of Eurovision in Czech in the past few months.

We always send some loser who ends up last in the semifinals, of course nobody pays attention. Only the Brits do worse, but at least they start in the finals. It's a vicious spiral of indifference.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

We always send some loser who ends up last in the semifinals, of course nobody pays attention. Only the Brits do worse, but at least they start in the finals. It's a vicious spiral of indifference.

Oh, you also have some kind of non-losers you could theoretically send to Eurovision?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, you also have some kind of non-losers you could theoretically send to Eurovision?

Wow, savage.

I totally forgot that Russia was banned by the EBU, but it's probably for the best. Betting markets have Ukraine at number one, and the song is actually decent. I'm very much looking forward to the first semi final this evening.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Please don't open those wounds, Finland has a proud tradition of throwing great songs aside in favour of sending some forgettable lovely pop act that would've been relevant 20 years ago, finishing last and trying the same formula again next year :smith:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So many mixed feelings. On one hand, I like to think I’m the furthest from enjoying or even acknowledging Eurovision and its artists, then someone mentions Finland and I immediately go “:hmmyes: Lordi 2006”

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:iiam:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
If you don't send anyone, you can't be ashamed of your country's entry. tapshead.jpg

szary
Mar 12, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJnFiYLyZI

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
What’s the point of being in Eastern Europe if you can’t partake in the joy of Gay World War 1: The Musical?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

Please don't open those wounds, Finland has a proud tradition of throwing great songs aside in favour of sending some forgettable lovely pop act that would've been relevant 20 years ago, finishing last and trying the same formula again next year :smith:

On the other hand, we got Lordi out of it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Wasn’t Finland’s entry last year some metal playing teens? I can’t remember for sure, I was very high and mostly cheering for Go_A.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not really, no.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wasn’t Finland’s entry last year some metal playing teens? I can’t remember for sure, I was very high and mostly cheering for Go_A.

Yeah, Blind Channel placed sixth in the final which is Finland's second best position of all time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This Uzvaras piemineklis debacle is something else.

Context - Latvia banned Victory Day celebrations on May 9, with the official ceremony happening on the European May 8 occasion. The primary monument in Riga was barricaded off, with Russian war crimes exhibition set up around. People still came there, and what ended up happening is that they would apparently give cops flowers, and cops would take the flowers to the monument.

This morning there was a mildly gleeful video with an excavator shovelling the pile of flowers, going viral online. By the afternoon, there was a decent Russian-speaking crowd around the monument, playing USSR anthem, yelling how Latvia is a fake country, and verbally assaulting apparent ethnic Latvians or supporters of Ukraine. Police was not doing much at all to stop that, and so now the internet is full to brim with videos of our police just chilling while Russian fascists trample on Latvian statehood and harangue citizens.

Elections are going to be real funny. Subsequent repressions - not so much. :suicide:

Edit: Going to be very interesting to find out how Golubeva survives hours of poo poo like this aired:

https://twitter.com/tvnet_zinas/status/1524089803414941706

https://twitter.com/delfilv/status/1524042772952629254

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 10, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
drat what a poo poo show :smith:

In Latvia and Estonia I always felt like due to the size of the community you can stay isolated among russian speakers and there aren't serious attempts to integrate it and pull it away from the infosphere of Russian state channels. That should have changed since the whole bronze soldier stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

In Latvia and Estonia I always felt like due to the size of the community you can stay isolated among russian speakers and there aren't serious attempts to integrate it and pull it away from the infosphere of Russian state channels. That should have changed since the whole bronze soldier stuff

Admittedly I was really angry last night, looking at streams of videos of vatniks going to pound town while cops are drilling their noses.

Reflecting back on it in the morning, it was a major and unforced error from the municipal government at the root of this, to have a particularly provocative disposal act for the memorial flowers.

At the same time, containment effort on the day was complete failure, with police being late with reinforcements, and our minister of interior learning of the events from the media first. Continuing, damage control this morning is farcical:

https://twitter.com/pavluts/status/1524280344232476672

“Well actually, from legal point of view this also is classified not as an event, but as a gathering” - totally normal things you say as the minister of interior when you did not gently caress up anything at all.

At the same time, while she says that “spine is not what’s hot on Twitter, it’s the Constitution first and foremost”, our president, who served as a judge on ECHR for 9 years and ECJ for 15 years, is baying for blood:

https://twitter.com/valstsgriba/status/1524231502191603714

I’ll translate the tweet, to preserve nuance:

quote:

Gathering of the inhabitants of the “Russian world” by the Occupants Monument is an act of disrespect against the Latvian nation and Latvians. Patriots of Latvia are sternly distancing from it. There is no middle road here.

“Occupants Monument” is not the official name of the Monument to the Liberators of Soviet Latvia and Riga from the German Fascist Invaders, colloquially known as the Victory Monument, where this happened.

This is going to be ugly as gently caress.

And yeah, you’re spot on about lack of integration effort. Our nationalists are stupid enough to think that they can outlast 30-50% of population.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 11, 2022

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Somaen posted:

That would’ve taken actual attempts at nation building instead of ethnocentric posturing at every turn though. Too much work when you can have Jaanipäev and “we’re Northern Europe if you think about it” for the people who can understand Eesti Nokia jokes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

1pm update: emergency Parliament session to break legal agreement with Russia about protecting USSR monuments, which prevents us from demolishing the location of yesterday’s events immediately. Exciting times.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Cool, cool, more nationalism is exactly what was needed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Cool, cool, more nationalism is exactly what was needed.

To be clear, this was going to happen due to war in Ukraine with likelihood way above 50%, as the government had already been talking about that, but now it’s definitely happening, and most likely with the lowest possible amount of manners involved - we have an election on October 1, and the ruling coalition may not survive leaving this without a response. I wonder if they realise that they are, in fact, reaping what they have sown, to a great extent.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 11, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hey Cinci, what do you think the perspectives for Latvia are in regards to its russian population in the long run of 30 to 50 years? Do you see a future with integration happening, are you maybe concerned for things getting violent or maybe the russian population gradually leaving?

For reference, Poland was extremely multicultural in the interwar period but after the war, it became one of the most monogamous countries. This was partly due to German genocide, but also due to Yaltan border redrawing and post-war soviet population forced movements.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Hey Cinci, what do you think the perspectives for Latvia are in regards to its russian population in the long run of 30 to 50 years? Do you see a future with integration happening, are you maybe concerned for things getting violent or maybe the russian population gradually leaving?

For reference, Poland was extremely multicultural in the interwar period but after the war, it became one of the most monogamous countries. This was partly due to German genocide, but also due to Yaltan border redrawing and post-war soviet population forced movements.

It’s going to be a fine mess.

First things first, the youngest people who still remember USSR are in their 50s. 30s years out, the majority of that group will be dead. How the local Russian political conversation continues afterward – unknown because not so seldom it’s the older people who remember USSR all too well who tell the “tankies” to cut it out.

Integration has never happened, and I don’t believe it will happen unless EU will force us to – and ethnic xenophobia in EU is way too normalized for that to happen. We’ve only done the bare minimum there, providing a piss easy pathway to citizenship for any local (learn Latvian language and pass a primary school difficulty level state history test). Creating a Russian environment that’s shielded from Kremlin’s influence? Forget about it, non-proliferation of Latvian language has been historically considered a national security threat by the establishment. Coincidentally, political power is concentrated with Latvian parties. They occupy the political spectrum between classical liberals and ethnonationalists, whereas Russian just have a large social-democrat party that dwarfs any individual Latvian party, and a far left regionalist satellite orbiting at the fringe. They’ve been in permanent opposition ever since the fall of the USSR, as far as the national parliament and government are concerned – and this is before Vladolf said the quiet part out loud.

Moving to Russia hasn’t been popular ever since we joined the EU. Go figure. :thunk:

As for things getting violent, who knows. There’s plenty of pent-up anger, but the very same “mobilization” protest yesterday was at best a few hundred people, featuring a fair number of known propagandists and provocateurs. I don’t entirely exclude an option that actual riots will happen when the Victory Monument gets demolished, but I don’t think it’s possible to predict any of that.

Looping back to the original question, who knows. Looking at our demographic situation, there’s a good chance there will be no people living here in 30 years anyway.

Edit: Rinkēvičs with the most coherent response so far, for locals following along. Golubeva with her “Constitution doesn’t prohibit placing flowers on the ground” is increasingly in meltdown mode.

https://twitter.com/edgarsrinkevics/status/1524343414233444352

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 11, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mokotow posted:

For reference, Poland was extremely multicultural in the interwar period but after the war, it became one of the most monogamous countries.

Just how common was polygamy in Poland? Presumably only polygdynia was allowed :v:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Just how common was polygamy in Poland? Presumably only polygdynia was allowed :v:

Sigh. In my defense, it looks like I had the rona two weeks ago and my brain is sponge

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/and_kse/status/1524331862432305152

A Harmony (Russian socdems) MP saying “they’ve surrendered” in response to the second round of flowers being kept at the monument. If she doesn’t get censured or kicked out of the party, this is going to be it for my votes with them. :suicide: Going to be a fun choice then for whom to vote, between racist “progressives”, centrists subservient to the gambling lobby, and various flavours of conservatives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A Harmony (Russian socdems) MP saying “they’ve surrendered” in response to the second round of flowers being kept at the monument. If she doesn’t get censured or kicked out of the party, this is going to be it for my votes with them. :suicide: Going to be a fun choice then for whom to vote, between racist “progressives”, centrists subservient to the gambling lobby, and various flavours of conservatives.

You should develop a non-rashist socdem party.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

You should develop a non-rashist socdem party.

I wouldn't characterize them like that normally, but my assessment now is going to be conditional on how they handle a compromised member. The other Russian party I mentioned, regionalists, would be that, though.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Going to be a fun choice then for whom to vote, between racist “progressives”, centrists subservient to the gambling lobby, and various flavours of conservatives.

I must have missed the racist bit? Not ruling some gaffe, just that it's not been my impression.

I'm soured on Progressives due to another reason, because of them underdelivering on traffic/walkability issues in Riga and haven't been looking very closely in recent months, despite getting a fundraising call a few days back.

Anyway, cinci, how's the tension in physical spaces in the city? If you weren't on social media and didn't follow the news, would you notice anything being different?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

I must have missed the racist bit? Not ruling some gaffe, just that it's not been my impression.

I'm soured on Progressives due to another reason, because of them underdelivering on traffic/walkability issues in Riga and haven't been looking very closely in recent months, despite getting a fundraising call a few days back.

Anyway, cinci, how's the tension in physical spaces in the city? If you weren't on social media and didn't follow the news, would you notice anything being different?

To be fair to the racist bit, I’m sour based on personally knowing a mid-level party member. Around the time of the 13th election, I was strongly considering them, and ended up developing an understanding that the party is highly critical of the German immigration model, and wants Latvia to adhere to the Scandinavian (read: Danish) instead. I’m quite concerned about the looming demographic crisis, and I would rather not vote for parties that actively reject the most likely solution to it. Their stance may have changed since then, which is something I’d be keen on figuring out before the election – currently waiting for 2022 Partiju šķirotava to have a research starting point.

Tension in physical spaces is a bit elevated. You can definitely get into a fairly traditional kind of trouble for flying Ukrainian colours outside, more so than for showing off a Z or a St. George’s ribbon somewhere else. May 8-10 though seemed normal, relative to this new baseline and the period of the year in general, but I also wasn’t near either of the flashpoints on the days.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 11, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

She was invited to a political debate show tonight, “Kas notiek Latvijā?” (What’s up with Latvia?). Highlights so far:
- If we demolish the monument, Putin will invade (is she celebrating under duress or what then?)
- Using a tractor was a deliberate provocation (lol & lmao, also it’s how the flower removal was done normally)
- Victory Day celebration has artistic value (as in, it’s a protected class of events. Don’t ask, I don’t get it either)
- “All tears matter”
- She doesn’t actually even like the concrete (the monument)
- What about people singing Wehrmacht songs on March 16? (As if that’s an excuse, also people are saying that they sing Latvian songs there)
- People donning Ukrainian colours were provocateurs

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
RIP her political career. NRA and the likes will never shut up about this. Her being both Russian and gay has been making them mad since day 1 and her initial focus on, I think, domestic violence and hate crimes painted a target on her back.

As to Progressives, the party changed a lot in the buildup to the municipal elections. I don't consider them to be very competent, unfortunately, but I am still a member and will almost certainly vote for them, because there's literally nothing else. Assuming that the embassy actually manages to set up postal voting this time, of course.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

RIP her political career. NRA and the likes will never shut up about this. Her being both Russian and gay has been making them mad since day 1 and her initial focus on, I think, domestic violence and hate crimes painted a target on her back.

As to Progressives, the party changed a lot in the buildup to the municipal elections. I don't consider them to be very competent, unfortunately, but I am still a member and will almost certainly vote for them, because there's literally nothing else. Assuming that the embassy actually manages to set up postal voting this time, of course.

Her legislative focus is hate crimes? Good God, and I thought people were overboard when comparing her to Zakharova yesterday. In any case, I do hope that it plays out as you say. Harmony is, predictably I guess, disappointing here, and after feeling around I expect them to do nothing about her.

As to Progressives, I hear you. I’ll take a good look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/a_latkovskis/status/1524676197208240129

Legal obstacles for the demolition have been removed.

Also, apparently, some conservatives are now blaming LGBT community for this entire debacle, because of that MP not being a cishet.

Edit: Right on the clock,

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1524721830518476800

Edit 2: Finally, actually constructive talk from Golubeva (thread).

https://twitter.com/kustibapar/status/1524644042688114688

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 12, 2022