Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Apparently Vercreek, the Filipino guy who animated the ending, is like 18 years old. What a god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
We’re there any specific references in the ED or was it just vaguely Hypnosis Mic-esque?

Also am the only one who feels intense dissonance at seeing Iino be athletic and appreciative of expression???

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That episode of the show was everything I wanted when I read that chapter and more

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would it be too premature to declare this the best season?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would it be too premature to declare this the best season?

Yes.

Because if it keeps up this level of quality for the material ahead, this season is going to get even better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How does the manga do all this musical stuff?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know those greeting cards that sing

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Watching this episode made me think a few things:

-drat, the person directing this episode really went for it.
-drat, this season has to have way more of a budget than past seasons.
-drat, if they're making this episode this crazy then the finale is going to be insane
-drat, if they're putting this much money into this show then I think there's some hope that we'll get even more seasons of it.

Just a drat fine episode, and really setting a new bar. So far episodes have succeeded or failed based on the writing, for the most part, and this was the first time I felt like they got a major success from sheer animation quality and execution. The writing was still great, but this was the first time I felt like it would've been fun and entertaining even with bad writing.

Fujiwara suddenly flying through the air was probably my favorite part of the episode, so I guess despite my singing the praises of the wild animation swings it was taking it's those sorts of gags that really resonate with me.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I wasn't sure the episode was going to land on the right side of funny/cringe with all the rapping, but they did a pretty good job. I liked that they shot Shirogane's rap like a Beastie Boys video (probably the least problematic Western hip hop reference an anime could go with).

I also don't know how many seasons they're going to get, because it's going to take a lot to actually finish the series, but I really hope they get to at finish up the rest of the "Maki suffers pathetically" storyline. At least until she goes on her New Years trip.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

My favorite part of this episode was during the Maki bit, when instead of animating a few seconds of Ishigami shuffling to get past Shirogane to whisper in Maki's ear, or having a minor continuity error no one would have noticed or cared about, he just actually teleports.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just stumbled on this show tonight and i'm kinda shocked at how funny it is. glad to see it keeps it up for a few seasons

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

MikeSevigny posted:

I wasn't sure the episode was going to land on the right side of funny/cringe with all the rapping, but they did a pretty good job. I liked that they shot Shirogane's rap like a Beastie Boys video (probably the least problematic Western hip hop reference an anime could go with).

The fisheye lens of Shirogane walking towards Hayasaka and then it zooms out to show Kaguya pulling her along on that little toy car was incredible.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Maki and Kaguya saying sex the same way is a pretty good bit too, I guess they really are cousins

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i say swears online posted:

just stumbled on this show tonight and i'm kinda shocked at how funny it is. glad to see it keeps it up for a few seasons

It's real good

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm loving the growing rivalry of sorts between Kaguya and Hayasaka.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Blue rear end

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Carlosologist posted:

Blue rear end

I laughed at that and I don't even know why

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It's an inherently funny phrase.

The rap battle is an example of how good this show is at the Fawlty Towers sort of plot where a bunch of disparate things get set up and then smash into each other all at once resulting in utter comedic madness.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Same need a gif of it

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm loving the growing rivalry of sorts between Kaguya and Hayasaka.

Season 2's bit with Kaguya freaking out over Hayasaka saying she probably could've seduced Shirogane by now and Hayasaka's repeated mild interruptions of, "I didn't say easily," was one of my favourite bits of the last season.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

fairlight posted:

Apparently Vercreek, the Filipino guy who animated the ending, is like 18 years old. What a god

excuse me the gently caress? Wow. Also, I really liked the slightly aged-up designs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Carlosologist posted:

Blue rear end

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Test Pattern posted:

excuse me the gently caress? Wow. Also, I really liked the slightly aged-up designs.

I think its less that they're aged up and more that their proportions are a little more realistic?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Didn't one animator handle the dance from season 1 as well?

Not sure about last season's shoujo gaiden.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I love everything about this series except for the fact that apparently they are only doing 5 minute episodes now. It really sucks.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Arbite posted:

Didn't one animator handle the dance from season 1 as well?

Not sure about last season's shoujo gaiden.

Yeah but that was a roto job from a kyoani veteran. Still an incredibly impressive solo effort, though. Kind of annoyed the final version cropped out the footwork

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm supposed to believe that ishigami can bust out sick break-dancing moves, and even give a genuine smile? immersion ruined

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol the fujiwara/salaryman ramen episode is so loving stupid i love it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

i say swears online posted:

lol the fujiwara/salaryman ramen episode is so loving stupid i love it

Show's great, yeah.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Very important frame from the latest episode.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Olive Oil, is that you?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm rewatching season 1 and they point out hayasaka wears colored contacts when she's disgusting herself as Herthaka but her eyes are still blue? Specifically in the one where kaguya is sick and shirogane has to deliver her homework

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm rewatching season 1 and they point out hayasaka wears colored contacts when she's disgusting herself as Herthaka but her eyes are still blue? Specifically in the one where kaguya is sick and shirogane has to deliver her homework

Well, that's it, the whole franchise is ruined now. Worst. Anime. Ever.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Its a lighter shade of blue when she is wearing contacts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tiriganiaq posted:

Its a lighter shade of blue when she is wearing contacts.

Franchise saved.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well, that's it, the whole franchise is ruined now. Worst. Anime. Ever.

Yeah asking a question about a show I like so much that I'm watching it a second time definitely means I hate it you goddamn idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah asking a question about a show I like so much that I'm watching it a second time definitely means I hate it you goddamn idiot

Chill bro

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is a very tsundere response

I also just binged this again and the level of detail when Shirogane steps on Maki’s head by accident is so funny

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Kind of shocking how much Maki there is in the earlier seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just an FYI the manga has been added to Viz's Shonen Jump Valt so if you have it (and it's $3 a month for near everything published by viz under the SJ label which is nuts) that's now available.

We're currently at ch108 and there's a ton of profilerary stuff between the animated stuff so it's worth a read even if you've only been anime pace up till now.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 12, 2022