Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, it’s just absolutely no question which host not only performs the role functionally better but actually seems to enjoy being involved in the drat game. Do the games with Ken have lower viewership? Does he want more money? The hell is the reason here?

My only hope is that it was organized from the start that Mayim would do whatever episodes she could and Ken would do the others when she wasn't available, for this season. And she was only available one week a month because she was busy with Call Me Kat for the rest of it, but I suppose now the filming on that has stopped so she can do more of the season.

Honestly, the best part of that post is that Ken said he'll be back before the end of the season, which means hopefully (please, dear God) Call me Kat has actually been renewed and she'll start filming on next season in a couple months. And then hopefully in the meantime the Sony execs will realize Ken is by far the better host, throw a shitload of money at him, and make him the permanent host and Mayim can go back to being a B-grade actress forever ruining shows that aren't this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i have a friend who taped this week in what i think was the last tape of the season, their host was mayim :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's all a clever scheme to force the Jeopardy audience to watch Call Me Kat to keep it getting renewed

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I think anything involving this season's production was probably already determined back at the start of the season. I wouldn't read anything into Mayim being back now because that was always the plan, probably some contracts involved and whatnot too

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, it’s just absolutely no question which host not only performs the role functionally better but actually seems to enjoy being involved in the drat game. Do the games with Ken have lower viewership? Does he want more money? The hell is the reason here?

The c-suite guys wanted her from the get-go as a replacement because they live in a bubble and she was on a popular nerd sitcom. That whole thing we thought were host tryouts were just a ratings stunt and Richards took the job for himself because she couldn't do it full-time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol jeopardy is so hosed. I recommend people here do what I do, and not watch it for a while.

:emptyquote:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Richards being such a disastrous petty-tyrant trainwreck probably ultimately saved the show so that is pretty funny.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
With some hindsight in mind, how did the show help the guest hosts who didn't make the cut? Let's see in no particular order:

Couric - Jack Squat
Cooper & Whitaker - Jack Squat
Faber - Jack Squat
GMA Hosts - Jack Squat
Buck - Moved from Fox to ESPN but that had nothing to do with the show.
Rodgers - Got a boatload of money from Green Bay and revealed himself to be a antivax moron. Given my sister, her husband & two toddler daughters all caught Covid this week, Forgive my biases of wanting him sacked permanently from the NFL and TV.
Burton - Got a gig hosting Trivial Pursuit so mission accomplished?
Buzzy - He should've been the host based on his TOC work but has a pathetic Q score so enjoy this gig on The Chase replacing Ken as a consolation prize. A year's supply of Rice A Roni not included.
Oz - Threw away hosting a popular (awful) show to make a quixotic run at being a US Senator of a state he doesn't live in. Daughter gets the time slot and bombs dramatically. Campaign TBD though if he survives the primary, he would have to deal with a Lt. Gov who could likely unscrew his head from his spinal column.
Richards - We know the story. This son of Daedalus could've told you too had he not drowned trying to leave Crete.

That leaves Ken and Mayim. Ken has essentially made his closing argument to the man in a blazer and CBS/Sony executives now Mayim must do the same. She has added wrinkles of being under contract already as host and her TV show being on the bubble. The decision should be easy but given but given the biological colon cleaning world of Hollywood, who knows?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 9, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
maybe buzzy will be the regular toc host or something; that would be fun

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Buzzy was great. He needs a gig as a game show host. Maybe he could take over for Pat Sajak if he ever retires.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like Buzzy a lot, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Honestly if it had been Ken and Buzzy switching off every so often that would have been terrific

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hopefully The Chase ends up propelling Buzzy into some more cool trivia related roles in the future. I'd love to see him be the regular tournament host.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Agreed. It's not even the switching off, it's that they switch off from a good host to an abysmal one, even before you get to her being a garbage person in general.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Agreed. It's not even the switching off, it's that they switch off from a good host to an abysmal one, even before you get to her being a garbage person in general.

Totally agree. Going from Ken to Buzzy wouldn't bug me at all, but it's that enormous step down in quality that makes is so jarring every time (and makes her virtually unwatchable, beyond her awful person-ness)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HookShot posted:

Totally agree. Going from Ken to Buzzy wouldn't bug me at all, but it's that enormous step down in quality that makes is so jarring every time (and makes her virtually unwatchable, beyond her awful person-ness)

Months... MONTHS..... MONTHS...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Months... MONTHS..... MONTHS...

A word worse than “moist”

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol she was so bad in this game

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

Lol she was so bad in this game

After a contestant missed with "Roy Kroc," then the next contestant getting it right with just "Kroc" not mentioning that it's Ray Kroc and that's why the contestant was wrong.

And that smug look she gives after every question like she actually knows it.

Did love Karim saying that his parents were from Ethiopia and New Jersey, both developing nations.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 10, 2022

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

after a contestant missed with "Roy Kroc," then the next contestant getting it right with just "Kroc" not mentioning that it's Ray Kroc and that's why the contestant was wrong.

This was hilarious because Mayim LOVES to pause after last name answers and then awkwardly say the full name. And the one time where she really needed to, she decided not to for some reason.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Mayim sucks.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don't know if it's just the loss of Ken or also the lack of Mattea but today's episode just feels so sad and quiet and hollow. It's honestly upsetting how much worse Mayim is as a host.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MokBa posted:

I don't know if it's just the loss of Ken or also the lack of Mattea but today's episode just feels so sad and quiet and hollow. It's honestly upsetting how much worse Mayim is as a host.

It’s both.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

wa27 posted:

This was hilarious because Mayim LOVES to pause after last name answers and then awkwardly say the full name. And the one time where she really needed to, she decided not to for some reason.

Glad she informed the viewing audience that "Darwin" referred to Charles, the biologist, and not the often-confused but unrelated Lenny Darwin. :rolleyes:

She sucked at explaining the Final answer too -- might have been fun to know who exactly the other Farewell to Arms referred to, but there's no chance on Earth she knew it and more damningly, didn't bother to even have it in her notes.

E: That BosWash DD clue sucked too, but tbf that wasn't Mayim's fault

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 10, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

After a contestant missed with "Roy Kroc," then the next contestant getting it right with just "Kroc" not mentioning that it's Ray Kroc and that's why the contestant was wrong.

Ugh, that was so obnoxious. Also not reminding Karim he could wager up to $1000 and $2000 and even presumably glancing over at the judges when he said $1000. Just a lot of little pauses adding up to making the game feel off today.

At least she consoled Karim with "plenty of game to play" when he was getting frustrated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Did love Karim saying that his parents were from Ethiopia and New Jersey, both developing nations.

“I should know, I’m a neuro scientist.”

God I hate her brain pills commercial whenever it comes on.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Well he did fail miserably. All I can really ask for.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CPColin posted:

At least she consoled Karim with "plenty of game to play" when he was getting frustrated.

That was probably the best moment she's had as host. The rest of the night she oozed fake enthusiasm which was irritating.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Out of Africa, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Grapes of Wrath were some wild loving guesses.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah, I laughed out loud at the Fast Times response. Quintessential 70's movie, that one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For some reason Steinbeck and Fitzgerald where the only authors that came to my mind so I went with East of Eden.

Big d’oh moment when I remembered Hemingway existed

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The best guess I could muster was The Grapes of Wrath, though I knew that had to be Depression-era. Anybody else think that Farewell to Arms is actually extremely on the nose and lame for a poem about a retiring knight? :v:

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Irrationally annoyed that they didn't finish the John Goodman category

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

mearn posted:

Nah, that is rational.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

mearn posted:

It bothered me a lot.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

mearn posted:

Agreed. I wanted to see if the 2000 question was his stint on Community

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I ended up listening to about half the episode last night while I looked over my Blu-Rays for something to watch.

Goddamn does she sound like she's doing line readings for a mobile game

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I like how they just casually have the author of The 100 as a regular contestant.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah that's wild -- gotta be the most famous person to ever be on regular-person Jeopardy, no? They really undersold how insanely successful she is, which was kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah that's wild -- gotta be the most famous person to ever be on regular-person Jeopardy, no? They really undersold how insanely successful she is, which was kinda funny

Because MB is really lovely at this job