Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Sometimes you get games like this, where you get a random nightmare on floor 0 and saltily pick a catalyst on floor 1, then proceed to pick backflip, deadly poison, leg sweep, catalyst, backflip, deadly poison, corpse explosion from the boss and then breeze through the rest of the game. No elites in act 1, but it worked out anyway, even though warped tongs almost killed me after being in the deck from floor 3 to 19. Silent is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's mostly Champ and Collector when he rocks me two turns in a row despite clearing his adds. The bronze automation has definitely gotten me with my pants down though with hyperbeam. Maybe I need more scaling in act2?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Goodpancakes posted:

It's mostly Champ and Collector when he rocks me two turns in a row despite clearing his adds. The bronze automation has definitely gotten me with my pants down though with hyperbeam. Maybe I need more scaling in act2?

Yeah, the Act 2 boss is a scaling check and usually the most difficult fight in the game for most decks unless you're going for a Heart kill.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Goodpancakes posted:

That's absolutely the name of the game, yeah. Up until the Act 2 boss the game doesn't push scaling too hard, but if you don't get some scaling sorted by then you're going to get wrecked.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Zore posted:

Yeah, the Act 2 boss is a scaling check and usually the most difficult fight in the game for most decks unless you're going for a Heart kill.

I argue a2 boss is hardest period, followed by pre heart elite, followed by heart, followed by final bosses in a20.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Anyone know of anywhere where there is like... a big amount of data on slay runs? Or... the ability to obtain future data on slay runs?

I've become really interested recently in statistically analyzing the boss relic choice. What is chosen... and maybe more importantly what is NOT chosen of the three for each choice... and then what happens in terms of wins/losses... other data, etc.

But really ... the boss relic choice. It's different than all other relic situations... you don't "pay" directly, but you do "choose" like a card reward.

I want to know in what scenarios... Frozen Core is good? Ring of the Serpent? Astrolabe? Sozu? etc.

Anyway. Hit me up if you know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EconDad posted:

Anyone know of anywhere where there is like... a big amount of data on slay runs? Or... the ability to obtain future data on slay runs?

I've become really interested recently in statistically analyzing the boss relic choice. What is chosen... and maybe more importantly what is NOT chosen of the three for each choice... and then what happens in terms of wins/losses... other data, etc.

But really ... the boss relic choice. It's different than all other relic situations... you don't "pay" directly, but you do "choose" like a card reward.

I want to know in what scenarios... Frozen Core is good? Ring of the Serpent? Astrolabe? Sozu? etc.

Join Baalorlord's Discord and @ Chronometrics with a request in the Slay the Spire channel. He has full data somewhere on respective win rates with boss relics.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

EconDad posted:

Maybe https://www.spirelogs.com?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I get the impression that site is dead, because the only way to see Watcher data is to look at an experimental version of the site*, and neither that experimental version nor the main site have been updated since 2020. Which is a shame because it was really cool.

*https://dev.spirelogs.com/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Spirelogs has frustrated me for ages with its minute long load times and how it never seems to have any data in it. I have pretty firm opinions without it tho I only would have used it for shitposting fuel.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, it doesn't help that over the course of the game you also had a lot of changes that wildly skewed winrates and the power level of various boss relics.

Like in the A15 days, Pandora's Box or Astrolabe were often traps because the overall card pool was much weaker and every character had several cards in their pool that were straight up worse than Strike/Defend that have been reworked and improved over time to the point that Pandora's is now one of the boss relics I see picked most and transform has become the majority pick for the JAXX and Simplicity events.

Look at Fire Breathing before its rework

Fire Breathing pre-2.0 posted:

Deal 1(2) damage to every enemy at the end of the turn for each attack played that turn

Or how Sozu used to be the free pick because potions were terrible before their rework. Or how the boss pool used to have some hot garbage clogging it up that got downgraded to regular relics (like Eternal Feather) or removed (like runic dodecahedron).

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 5, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cube still exists. Dodecahedron was removed.

Also it blows my mind that Orrery was a boss relic at one point.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Finally built one of my dream decks and it was everything I imagined. Started off dabbling in card creation with a Battle Hymn and Evaluate and then got offered a Master Reality toward the end of Act 1. Added 2x Foreign Influence, a Metamorphosis and a Deus Ex Machina in Act 2 and then landed a Conjure Blade after beating Champ. I ended up loading 10 charges into an Expunger+ in the Awakened One fight, drew it the next turn to finish off his first form with 10x16 then went into wrath and drew it again to unload 10x32 for the win. Glorious.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Walla posted:

Did you also know:

If your first combat is a Cultist, your first question mark may be a combat. If your first combat is not a Cultist, your first question mark can never be a combat.

WHAT THE gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Someone said that was patched out.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Walla posted:

Also it blows my mind that Orrery was a boss relic at one point.

It's kinda weird, because while it's a lovely boss relic, it's probably a bit OP as a shop relic.

The same could probably be said for tiny house. Almost never the correct pick from a boss, but if it could drop from chests I'd make the pogchamp face every time I saw it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Someone said that was patched out.

According to Forgotten Arbiter, it's built into the RNG: https://forgottenarbiter.github.io/Correlated-Randomness/

Though admittedly I haven't gone through the entire patch history.

Mymla posted:

It's kinda weird, because while it's a lovely boss relic, it's probably a bit OP as a shop relic.

The same could probably be said for tiny house. Almost never the correct pick from a boss, but if it could drop from chests I'd make the pogchamp face every time I saw it.

Tiny House only seems to be useful when it's a boss swap, and even then I don't want it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tiny house is pickable basically only when you can't possibly pick the other 2 relics. like "philosopher stone would definitely kill me" or " can't pick sacred bark because I boss swapped into sozu" or "I play too many cards for velvet choker".

Actually, Tiny house is probably better than Sacred Bark, unless you have White Beast Statue or Alchemize, depending on what potions you already have

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

The other day I was thinking that I would take Tiny House a lot more if it let you choose the card upgrade. It's usually best after Act 1 but it ends up upgrading a Strike half the time.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Now that I've completed a run with all three of the original characters, I'm currently working my way up the Spire as The Watcher and for the life of me, I cannot get a good grip on this deck. No matter which cards I get or relics I'm able to obtain, I find myself lacking at least one part of the engine I need (usually block). I try to stance dance as much as I can, or I lean into Mantra, but even if I'm able to make it to the third floor, I'll find myself drawing all the wrong cards that do nothing for me while letting me get murderized by some random hallway trash fight.

That aside, I'm up to A3 on Ironclad and A2 on the Silent, and every time I load up one of them, I forget I'm doing Ascension and find myself mind boggled at how much more difficult it seems.

I'm still addicted to this loving game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

Now that I've completed a run with all three of the original characters, I'm currently working my way up the Spire as The Watcher and for the life of me, I cannot get a good grip on this deck. No matter which cards I get or relics I'm able to obtain, I find myself lacking at least one part of the engine I need (usually block). I try to stance dance as much as I can, or I lean into Mantra, but even if I'm able to make it to the third floor, I'll find myself drawing all the wrong cards that do nothing for me while letting me get murderized by some random hallway trash fight.

That aside, I'm up to A3 on Ironclad and A2 on the Silent, and every time I load up one of them, I forget I'm doing Ascension and find myself mind boggled at how much more difficult it seems.

I'm still addicted to this loving game.

So the two big ways to block as Watcher are basically to go infinite/near-infinite with Stance dancing and the power that gives block every time you change stances (this is made a lot easier if you have her unique boss relic which gives an extra energy for leaving Calm) or using Talk to the Hand and Flurry of Blows with stance dancing to hit the enemy a million times and generate tons of block.

What kind of cards are you prioritizing that you're having issues? Post an example of one of your decks and we can take a look and see if there are any glaring issues .

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Zore posted:

So the two big ways to block as Watcher are basically to go infinite/near-infinite with Stance dancing and the power that gives block every time you change stances (this is made a lot easier if you have her unique boss relic which gives an extra energy for leaving Calm) or using Talk to the Hand and Flurry of Blows with stance dancing to hit the enemy a million times and generate tons of block.

What kind of cards are you prioritizing that you're having issues? Post an example of one of your decks and we can take a look and see if there are any glaring issues .

I'll take a screenshot of my latest Watcher deck that got me to the third floor before being unceremoniously crushed and post it later today when I get a chance. I don't remember everything off the top of my head yet, but I'm sure I'll get there soon enough.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I do find that watcher tends to have a steeper difficulty curve from Act 2->Act 3 than most characters, since watcher tends to be very bursty and Act 3 is where hallway fights really stop being burstable.

Still, the overall power level on watcher means that it shouldn't be all that hard in the end. It sounds like you may be light on deck manipulation & draw; watcher is good at both generating energy and playing cheap cards, so you usually want to go fairly hard on card draw.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

DekeThornton posted:

Baalorlord recently put up a Watcher guide that might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czLA-7ELdM&t=2s

Regarding watcher, this vid, from a few pages back, is pretty good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but the preview image, the preview image is very bad

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but the preview image, the preview image is very bad

All Baalor's preview images are terrible. He's got a voice made for radio, and a face for it too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There is an entire industry based around those kinds of lovely preview thumbnails. I believe Baalor hired someone to manage his Youtube content which is why it all looks like that. I know Jorbs has someone who does and his Youtube previews look identical

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Wraith Form SUCKED ME OFF????!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
the YouTube Face reign of terror has been over for awhile, at least on baalor's channel

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Meteor Strikes? In my vagina?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

idk what it is, but the Google play version of the game seems SO MUCH harder on ascension 20. When I play on my PC I feel like I do pretty well, and lose because I made mistakes. But on my phone, I get to the act 1 boss and go "oh, so there's no combination of cards I could have picked to win this". It feels like old-school anti-piracy tech that makes the game unbeatable or something. Seed is 298iL8EAJHCDW on android if anyone can beat the slime boss here. I forget which blessing I went with, they were all kinda underwhelming. I think I picked a card to start with and started with a Bouncing Flask

Of course while I was writing this post complaining, I got a seed that gave me a dead branch. Do you know how many Silent cards have exhaust? Its a lot! Seed is ZEE6697DJX9L for android

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

slaying the spire on Downfall as the gremlins, and just had a rather nasty surprise from the Act 3 "fight yourself" event

e: lol he doesn't run if you kill the boss

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Well it only took hundreds of hours but I was finally able to make a Grand Finale deck.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So this is a thing that exists.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi...-app1%26hl%3Den

I bought STS on PS4 almost two years ago, have been giving myself eyestrain to play it, and this single-handedly got me back into PC gaming. I know it’s not directly applicable to folks here, but it’s really sick and works like a dream. Just think it’s cool that this kind of modding is happening at all.

Ironclad at A1 after just a few runs. Not bad for not having played in a bunch of months. Almost streaked it, too, but hosed up on Time Eater.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Your link is full of garbage that takes you to a Google search. Here's the clean version of the link:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2239220106

Your link has something about Safari in it, so I'm guessing iOS is to blame for the extra stuff being added.

Anyway, yeah, this is one of the neater mods, and while I don't need it, I'm glad it's there for those who do. We need more mods like this for games.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

I'm unreasonably happy that I guessed what the mod is called just from the clues in the previous two posts.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I’m here with a gripe and a public service announcement…

The Neow offering that says “pick a colorless card” and also the knowing skull event that says to get a random colorless card…

For those who don’t know — these are only uncommon colorless cards in these pools… and for my gripe, I’m saying I wish that the game would outright say it… instead of just saying colorless card.

Apotheosis, secret technique, sadistic nature, the bomb, magnetism, hand of greed? Nope. No chance.

Player bewaaaaaare…

EconDad fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Instead of being mad they don't include the rares, be happy they don't include the commons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Instead of being mad they don't include the rares, be happy they don't include the commons.

There are no common Colourless cards, just Uncommon, Rare and Special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

There are no common Colourless cards, just Uncommon, Rare and Special.

Then isn't an Uncommon a Common?