Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

happyhippy posted:

A link to a picture of a monkey wearing a cat ear hat, blowing a green bubblegum, yingyang symbol on one eye ball, purple iris on the other, anarchy symbol on one tooth, tongue that ends coiled around a menthol cigarette.

bob barker voice: actual retail price $69420

horns.aiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

HootTheOwl posted:

16 bags of coin on the rug
16 bags to hold.
Line go down, loss all around
buy the dip!
17 bags of coin on the rug.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Lol

This is why Bitcoin will never go away they have so many people ingrained in the thought that it's going to go to the Moon that no matter how much it falls someone will be there to buy it back up

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The "NASA metaverse" story is a real story, but as filtered through the greedy bullshit dreams of coiners.

The actual story is that NASA has a new public R&D challenge (one of a long line) to use VR/AR to advance the state of astronaut training. NASA is involved because astronaut training. Epic is involved because Unreal Engine. It's all pretty sane.

Non-bullshit news article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/nasa-and-epic-games-to-crowdsource-vr-tech-for-mars-exploration/

Actual website of the thing: https://www.herox.com/MarsXR

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So is “metaverse” what dummies are calling VR? Is that all it is was this whole time? Like when “cloud” was just “internet” for a while?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

So is “metaverse” what dummies are calling VR? Is that all it is was this whole time? Like when “cloud” was just “internet” for a while?

It's used in two ways, one to mean VR and one to mean dumb crypto poo poo. The dumb cryptoshits point to the dumb VR stuff as proof that their crypto poo poo is going to take off even though it is entirely unrelated.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gutcruncher posted:

Kinda.

Basically it's techbros who did a rail and watched Ready Player One and thought that an all inclusive VR world seems aweseome.

Basically facebook but you're wearing a headset.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

What drug does this? What drug makes people think this poo poo will happen, and then pay an architect to build a model of it (I'm assuming with actual money not flimflam bucks)?

It's not cocaine. It's not weed for sure. Is it bathsalts? I haven't tried them, but I can imagine they make you actually want to build a scale model of Bitcoin City.

It’s incredibly stupid people suffering from dunning-Kruger and delusions of grandeur. That’s really all it is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
lol

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1524122006798553089

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

These days, "metaverse" is just any futuristic thing that's online, has graphics, and isn't a normal videogame. From online social spaces to VR to NFTs, basically anything a tech journalist hasn't heard of before qualifies as "metaverse".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Wrong Atkinson character. Blackadder would be taking advantage of NFTs

Baldrick would make his own NFTs (nice fat turnips) no one wants and Percy would be the proud owner of all the most overpriced NFTs at the end of the episode

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:sigh:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1524104658029092865

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'm the laughing lion

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

quote:

The project also implemented a steep 50% tax on remaining holders to discourage them from trying to sell.

I thought a big part of crypto was avoiding taxes? There isn't a big enough lol for a company that scammed people and then applied a tax to ensure the suckers don't sell. Whenever you think it can't get dumber cryptobros prove you wrong.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
is that tweet serious or a joke? it is genuinely impossible to tell with cryptocurrency

the graph is bizarre. the numbers on the y-axis are in the wrong order. but sincere bitcoiners regularly produce stuff just as insane

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Refresh my memory: was the bitfenix hack that begat tether the same one that the awful instagram rapper laundered?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think Bitfinex just had Tether laying around beforehand not really doing anything, but was pretty convenient to give everyone's accounts the "haircut" and pay them in tether IOUs when the hack/embezzlement happened.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hammerite posted:

is that tweet serious or a joke? it is genuinely impossible to tell with cryptocurrency

the graph is bizarre. the numbers on the y-axis are in the wrong order. but sincere bitcoiners regularly produce stuff just as insane

jon bois is a very serious journalist who also enjoys charts and graphs

(yes it's a joke, but also if you don't know who he is, look up his stuff)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hammerite posted:

Jon Bois writes/produces/publishes one of the best sports related... thingies ever.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think Bitfinex just had Tether laying around beforehand not really doing anything, but was pretty convenient to give everyone's accounts the "haircut" and pay them in tether IOUs when the hack/embezzlement happened.

The Bitfinex hack token was LEO: https://leo.bitfinex.com/

Tether was created around the same time to pump the market and/or do various other crimings

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/1524145491058913280?s=21&t=rOJgztNsiHKtXeqUvgzocg

Crypto winter lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Wrong Atkinson character. Blackadder would be taking advantage of NFTs

Baldrick would make his own NFTs (nice fat turnips) no one wants and Percy would be the proud owner of all the most overpriced NFTs at the end of the episode

"Scuze me sir, I think I can 'elp you here. I actually have an NFT of my own what I've been keeping aside for a rainy day."

"Really? Well come on, let's see it."

*thud*

"'Ere we are, sir."

"Baldrick. This is a turnip."

"That's right sir, it is a turnip. It's a Nice Fat Turnip."

"It's covered in mud, and this side is starting to rot."

"It's s'posed to do that. Adds flavour."

"Baldrick, you do understand the idea is to sell our NFTs. Not to eat them."

"Don't you worry about that sir. There's a big market for turnips."

"Really?"

"There is sir. My auntie Baldrick is always telling me about the turnips she gets sold, sir."

"I see. This would be your aunt who thinks she owns Tower Bridge, am I right?"

"That's the one sir."

"When in actual fact she purchased a crude drawing of Tower Bridge, painted, and I feel I should emphasise this point, in dung."

"I didn't know you'd met her, sir."

"Well, who do you think sold her the painting?"

"Oh."

"So, putting your lunatic relatives aside for the moment, who, exactly, do you imagine would want to buy this Nice Fat Turnip?"

"Well I would sir, only I ain't got any money."

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you ever watched an episode of Mr. Bean, you should realise that him getting involved in NFTs can only end with the complete destruction of all crypto.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hmmm *writes "NFT but for snow" on a blank pad, pauses, underlines it twice, starts drawing dollar signs all over the paper*

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

UST hovered around .90 overnight and is now tanking again lol, bouncing around .75 and .85

supposedly there is some "bailout" coming but that will just delay the inevitable

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Imagine buying UST right now. Like seriously put yourself in the shoes of someone looking at what's happening and thinking "oh man I wish I could hold that bag"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So I missed a lot of incredibly stupid things I'm sure, but I have to ask since it's showing up in two threads...

what's slurp juice

I'm ready for the answer to be stupider than i could possibly have imagined

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ikanreed posted:

Imagine buying UST right now. Like seriously put yourself in the shoes of someone looking at what's happening and thinking "oh man I wish I could hold that bag"

it really is just Mr. Beans all the way down.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

alnilam posted:

So I missed a lot of incredibly stupid things I'm sure, but I have to ask since it's showing up in two threads...

what's slurp juice

that's good, because

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 10, 2022

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Australian spotted

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

alnilam posted:

what's slurp juice

https://twitter.com/JuiceSimpsons/status/1523551892432953345

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ikanreed posted:

Does any exchange offer a USDT to UST pairing? We could just print some tethers to hold up the price bing bong so simple

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol, but still, also, what?

So is it like an item you can feed to your ape to make the ape look different?

I guess it's true what they say... a lotta yall still don't get it

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

1 UST is supposed to equal 1 USD, right? How could it possibly be less than that? :confused:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

alnilam posted:

lol, but still, also, what?

So is it like an item you can feed to your ape to make the ape look different?

I guess it's true what they say... a lotta yall still don't get it

you sounds like someone who might be interested in some of these NFT boosting wristbands...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mad Dragon posted:

1 UST is supposed to equal 1 USD, right? How could it possibly be less than that? :confused:

The fed! :argh:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm going to have to call out the QC on this animation. the sign says, "slurp juice on multiple apes".. the line is, "multiple slurp juices on a single ape"... this is very unprofessional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

The plan to print more worthless governance tokens to inflate UST doesnt work very well when said governance token falls by 65% in 24h