Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i think it's allowed to be mad at someone even if people already know they're a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also before this happened Yoshida literally put out a statement saying "please don't use mods we are going to take swift action against those who are" so it makes sense that someone ignoring that is going to get bopped a little extra.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

okay but square has been like this for literally decades so why is it something to be shocked about?

It isn't, you can certainly say all the streamers should have known better, but regardless as far as a chilling effect argument goes I think this does make things a lot colder

Selane
May 19, 2006

At the end of the day, all they're going to do is cause fewer people to stream the game, which is kind of funny. And lol if they think top players are going to stop using mods and be at a huge disadvantage in a World First race. They just won't stream and it will be business as usual.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Warmachine posted:

It's banning a highly visible target as a warning to the others. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they'd do that. But just in case, it's because it is red meat to appease the people complaining, and (theoretically) serves to scare other people off.

Why do they need to throw red meat to the complainers though? That's the part i'm saying is childish.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

it's not like they're going to add any serious anti-cheat beyond what already exists as that would risk upsetting the 1.0 code gremlins

so this really only affects streamers and people who can't shut up

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

time to go back to the lawless lands of final fantasy 11 where you can speedhack in front of a GM and they won't give a poo poo

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Vitamean posted:

time to go back to the lawless lands of final fantasy 11 where you can speedhack in front of a GM and they won't give a poo poo

They'd also stand around invisible and watch players train mobs onto fishing bots and laugh about it, because they weren't allowed to do anything more than that.

source: me, I used to work at SOE waaay back in the day when SOE was the contracted company for their NA CS/GM work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i wonder how many full time or even part time GMs ffxi still has on staff

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Macaluso posted:

There's a lot of amazing clothing mods too. Now there are also a lot of extremely horny sex mods, and one of the main mods that is required for a lot of outfits is something called Bibo+, which is a body replacement mod. And you can set it to have small clothes or full nude. I get the reasoning behind nude mods, I don't fully understand why so many of the clothing mods require Bibo+ or this other mod "Tight and Firm" (though Bibo+ keeps the body shape the same if you pick the small option.). I'd rather not have to bother going to the effort of installing an entire body mod just to put on all these cool clothes.

But anyway the point is there's a lot of clothing mods that looks really good and a lot of hair/tail options. Like I'd love YoshiP to just take a look at some of these hairs and outfits and just steal them and put them in the game. Also some of these outfits that modders create are insane. The one downside to using these mods is that, unless I've just totally missed something, the only way to mix and match mods that use the same model is to reinstall them. Turning one off and turning another one doesn't seem to work. The newest one just overwrites the old one. Which is a bummer because a lot of mods use the same specific item or hair style. Like the bathing suits are popular to use for a million different oufits, the ao dai (or whatever it's called), the ruffled dress, a handful of others. Yet another reason I'd like to see some of these just be implemented officially.

Not to mention HEELS!! There's so many heel options! Where are all my high heel options officially, YoshiP?? And these above don't even scratch the surface of cool looking outfits, there's just a lot that use the same model so it's a pain to have them all installed. The program that is used for these is pretty clunky

If you forgo using TexTools, there's a mod for XIVLauncher called Penumbra that does all that too. You can import .ttmp2 files and it does the right thing, only instead of modifying the underlying game files it unpacks them to a given directory, and redirects resource loads from the game files to the enabled addons. Multiple things can affect the same piece, and there's a system where you can set priority to certain mods.

You can also add Character Collections which are sets of mods that should always be applied to a specific character from a specific server, so multiple mods that affect the same thing could be enabled for different characters. These are a bit more complicated to deal with though.

Penumbra also enables replacing music files, so for example when I go back to Rak'tika Greatwood I hear the lovely sounds of Soken's voice. Or I have a mod I made myself to play Black Hole Sun in Ultima Thule

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Selane posted:

At the end of the day, all they're going to do is cause fewer people to stream the game, which is kind of funny. And lol if they think top players are going to stop using mods and be at a huge disadvantage in a World First race. They just won't stream and it will be business as usual.

It's not like there's any reward for WF'ing besides bragging rights so does this really matter? Just turn the mods off if you're gonna stream.

Vitamean posted:

Just don't mention you tabbed out of the game in a public chat channel

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

parasyte posted:

If you forgo using TexTools, there's a mod for XIVLauncher called Penumbra that does all that too. You can import .ttmp2 files and it does the right thing, only instead of modifying the underlying game files it unpacks them to a given directory, and redirects resource loads from the game files to the enabled addons. Multiple things can affect the same piece, and there's a system where you can set priority to certain mods.

You can also add Character Collections which are sets of mods that should always be applied to a specific character from a specific server, so multiple mods that affect the same thing could be enabled for different characters. These are a bit more complicated to deal with though.

Penumbra also enables replacing music files, so for example when I go back to Rak'tika Greatwood I hear the lovely sounds of Soken's voice. Or I have a mod I made myself to play Black Hole Sun in Ultima Thule

This is tempting ngl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Selane posted:

I mean the thing is that part of World First is having a visual record showing you did. So they'll have to decide between visible mods (knowing logically any opponents they have are going to be looking for ways to disqualify them) or streaming it without mods.

A big part of the appeal of WF is the glory so "they just won't stream" is unlikely.

Now mods that are less visible? Sure. But as long as they are not appearing onscreen SE probably won't care.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chillgamesh posted:

Just don't mention you tabbed out of the game in a public chat channel

Is this like being the first one to fall asleep at a sleepover?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh my god why are we still talking about this.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

talk about something else if it bothers you so much

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I started doing ranked matches in CC and even on the lowest level I'm still getting owned.

Starting to think I might just be bad at this. :negative:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the thing is that part of World First is having a visual record showing you did. So they'll have to decide between visible mods (knowing logically any opponents they have are going to be looking for ways to disqualify them) or streaming it without mods.

A big part of the appeal of WF is the glory so "they just won't stream" is unlikely.

Now mods that are less visible? Sure. But as long as they are not appearing onscreen SE probably won't care.

You can just post a screenshot of the kill on twitter and that's enough. On top of that, at least one person will probably have a vanilla POV. The world first team didn't actually stream their prog so that won't change at all.

Also Pyromancer has now decided to stream his game with all the cosmetic only addons enabled (ie no nameplate debuffs or anything). It will be interesting to see if he gets banned for that.

CJ fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 10, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC the first 3 clears were teams with no one streaming. The guy who 5chan/yoshida decided should be nuked from orbit only posted a clear video afterwards. I don't really get it personally, but the vibe I got was that the top FF14 teams want the advantage of mods and not leaking strats and feel they get the glory regardless.

Honestly the thing that would move the needle there is probably money, and arthars did rake in a huge amount over the course of the prog. But he also said he felt their team was at a huge disadvantage for doing it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

Per Mesotes' description, you need to have the Lype debuff active on yourself to be able to damage targets within the Mesotes circle. If you activate Sky Shatter outside the circle, it likely doesn't apply Lype to you before the Sky Shatter landing packet is sent, so you deal 0 damage.

Yeah, Primal Rend doesn't work for the same reason if the warrior starts outside. The 0 damage is locked in before the warrior gets the debuff, so you only get stunned.

Subjunctive posted:

SA GOTY #1 FFXIV: no mods, some masters

Does being a Mahjong Master count?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 10, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Electric Phantasm posted:

I started doing ranked matches in CC and even on the lowest level I'm still getting owned.

Starting to think I might just be bad at this. :negative:

I started with an absolutely horrific winrate, like probably 20% for the first week or more, before I settled on a class I enjoyed and could focus on learning match dynamics. It's fine to get wrecked for a while as long as you're paying attention to what you can improve.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i might get to 50 in eureka today

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What's the most boring class story and why is it Warrior 30-50?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Sorry, did you misspell "Marauder 1-30"? You know, the one that's literally:
Hey, go break rocks
You haven't broken enough rocks
That's good, but I think I saw some rocks over there
I had something for you to do but I forgot what it was, so go break rocks instead
Okay, enough with the rocks, now stop that bandit that looks suspiciously like your trainer (but don't look too close)
Where did that sheep come from? Whatever, just kill it!

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 10, 2022

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also before this happened Yoshida literally put out a statement saying "please don't use mods we are going to take swift action against those who are" so it makes sense that someone ignoring that is going to get bopped a little extra.

Hiroro Moon was streaming DSR prog when the announcement was posted and they were banned 2 hours later, having never paused their raiding, after being mass-reported by 5ch. They had no opportunity to ever learn of this new warning before being punished.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

sassassin posted:

What's the most boring class story and why is it Warrior 30-50?

Warrior 50-60 is worse because it's just more of the same poo poo. The 60-70 one is funny in a dumb anime way though.

Gunbreaker is probably the one that is the most forgettable. All i remember about it is there's the Hrothgar and Viera and they do something or other.

Just stop doing them, worked for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CJ....

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Warrior 30-50 doesn't even belong on a worst list when things like Paladin (any) or White Mage 50-60 exist.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
That was a joke i do actually do most of them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Warrior 30-50 doesn't even belong on a worst list when things like Paladin (any) or White Mage 50-60 exist.

Are you saying you didn't enjoy cleansing the foul taints of Eorzea?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mediocre take: That time Ishgardians murdered a bunch of Au Ra refugees for no real reason doesn't get brought up enough.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antivehicular posted:

Are you saying you didn't enjoy cleansing the foul taints of Eorzea?

I have a one taint limit.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
real champions of eorzea do it without mods

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I got suspended in FFXI in 2005 for pos hacking so clearly the GMs had some power

I did, however, never get dinged for cheating my way into the endgame area which was locked behind a questline requiring you to be 70+ on a level 10 character

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Oh my god why are we still talking about this.

Einhar LOOOVES talking about bizarre cheating policies

e: wrong game sry

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

TPS hasn't streamed any of their world firsts (and in fact this is a large part of the "TPS uses an emulated datamined server" rumors), so yeah people will just stop streaming if this continues on.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

No one actually going for WF was streaming for the very legitimate reason of not giving away information.

It just conveniently also lets them also use every tool at their disposal, which they absolutely do.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
no, because the world first contender groups have NEVER streamed. not any of them. the people who stream do it for entirely different reasons (mostly, money and clout) meaning they will stream theyll just turn their poo poo off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Sorry, did you misspell "Marauder 1-30"? You know, the one that's literally:
Hey, go break rocks
You haven't broken enough rocks
That's good, but I think I saw some rocks over there
I had something for you to do but I forgot what it was, so go break rocks instead
Okay, enough with the rocks, now stop that bandit that looks suspiciously like your trainer (but don't look too close)
Where did that sheep come from? Whatever, just kill it!

Marauder is a sports movie. You train for the big game, win with the help of your friends, and then a kid says he wants to be like you one day. There's also a valuable lesson about bloody vengeance being a key part of the emotional healing process.

edit: Paladin is better than "sad man stands under waterfall and can't make up his mind".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

parasyte posted:

Interesting, I may have to look into Penumbra then, though I've never used XIVLauncher before. I've been using TexTools and it does the job at a basic level but yeah it being clunky and not playing nice with multiple mods using the same piece of gear is a bit frustrating.