Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Zwabu posted:

So I’ve been thinking about movies and shows that are centered around chess.

The best known are probably Searching for Bobby Fischer and The Queen’s Gambit.

Here are some others, if anyone has seen any of them would you care to comment or vouch for the quality or lack thereof? Or have others to add to the list?

Pawn Sacrifice https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596345/

The Luzhin Defence https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211492/

Queen to Play https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082009/

I watched Pawn Sacrifice a few months back and it was okay. Some of the scenes felt rushed plus I never really cared for Bobby Fischer to begin with, but if you aren't sure what to watch and like chess then it's pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7494416/

Closing Gambit is a documentary about Korchnoi vs Karpov. It features a bunch of GMs from that era and was pretty good! Main issue is that its very "history channel" in its presentation but I can live with that.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Carbolic posted:

There was a Columbo episode with a chess champion killer but I've only seen clips on Youtube.

There was also an episode of Monk about a chess master who killed his wife :crossarms:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
These were the signs plastered around the zonal.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is there a significant difference between how Chess.com and Lichess assess ratings? I've been struggling to get out of the 800s for Rapid games on Chess.com for awhile now, but on Lichess after playing for a bit I've landed around the mid-1300s for rating and I'm not really feeling that much of a difference in the difficulty of the games -- if anything I've been doing a bit better there. Just curious if there's anything to that or if it's just a string of luck.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Is there a significant difference between how Chess.com and Lichess assess ratings? I've been struggling to get out of the 800s for Rapid games on Chess.com for awhile now, but on Lichess after playing for a bit I've landed around the mid-1300s for rating and I'm not really feeling that much of a difference in the difficulty of the games -- if anything I've been doing a bit better there. Just curious if there's anything to that or if it's just a string of luck.

The short answer is yes. The same skill rating on chess.com equates to a couple few hundred points higher on lichess it seems. Whether this is due to a different rating algorithm or just due to a different population of players with a similar algorithm I don’t know.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Rating systems can't be compared across different pools in general. Lichess I think starts you off with a higher rating which obviously affects the numbers. I think at ratings in the 1000-2000 range Lichess ratings will be 3 to 4 hundred points higher, but it levels off at higher ratings and eventually Lichess ratings will actually be lower.
Rapid ratings also tend to be higher than blitz which are higher than bullet due to the different player pools (also your rating will probably change if you switch time controls within the same bucket, eg. 5+3 to 3+0).
Which is to say, only compare within the same time control on the same website or you'll get conniptions.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

TrixRabbi posted:

On lichess the default rating is 1500 and the median rating is also around 1500. On chess.com the default rating is 1200 iirc, never looked up the median but it is probably also 1200.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

You can get an approximate idea by looking at the rating distributions for particular formats. It's not going to perfect of course but you can see what the percentile numbers look like:

https://www.chess.com/leaderboard/live
https://lichess.org/stat/rating/distribution/blitz

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Another question on opening moves the online engine doesn't like: https://lichess.org/z48Ltt2V/black#12

This time it's a bit more ambiguous on whether the move is good. The masters database has 6... e5 being very rarely played (with very good results for Black, but it looks like it might just be one guy's pet variation?). In these cases where top players don't play a move, is it usually because it's "bad", or just unpopular?

More generally, are there any hard principles on when to play e5 vs. e6 in these Sicilian positions, or is it a matter of knowing the theory? I can see how here e5 weakens the light-squared diagonal of the White bishop. But then why is e6 the move against 6. Bg5?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is all about control of the d5 square. Basically, as black, you only want that d6-e5 pawn structure if you have a definite way that you're going to be able to push d5 (or otherwise take care of the square) in the near future. Otherwise you will suffer tremendous violence as white uses the square to throttle black's entire position.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Ah, so 6. Bc4 directly attacks the d5 square and 6. Bg5 indirectly does by pinning the knight, so e5 is too weakening. But White's other moves don't help control d5, so e5 becomes the main move. That makes sense.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ugh, important safety tip re lichess: There is a setting under "Game Behavior" to "Scroll on the board to replay moves" and I've lost at least a few won games because I had this enabled, and short on time, accidentally scrolled my mouse scroll wheel to roll back a few moves and flagged while trying to figure out how to unfuck it (You can forward arrow your way back to the current position lol).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Zwabu posted:

Ugh, important safety tip re lichess: There is a setting under "Game Behavior" to "Scroll on the board to replay moves" and I've lost at least a few won games because I had this enabled, and short on time, accidentally scrolled my mouse scroll wheel to roll back a few moves and flagged while trying to figure out how to unfuck it (You can forward arrow your way back to the current position lol).

Iirc it only scrolls if you're over the move history! You can go forwards/backwards with the mousewheel, or do left/right on your keyboard.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I wonder how much psychology matters in classical chess because online it's gotta be a huge factor. I've found that if I beat a significantly higher rated player and they slam rematch immediately I should take it because it's likely to be easy wins for several games in a row (and free cheating accusations) :hmmyes:

Since I don't want to be on the wrong end of that I pretty much never click the rematch button.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Redmark posted:

I wonder how much psychology matters in classical chess because online it's gotta be a huge factor. I've found that if I beat a significantly higher rated player and they slam rematch immediately I should take it because it's likely to be easy wins for several games in a row (and free cheating accusations) :hmmyes:

Since I don't want to be on the wrong end of that I pretty much never click the rematch button.

[gestures broadly at the last decade of Levon Aronian's career]

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
i never ask for rematches and almost always reject rematches for purely psychological reasons. i know there's no reason to assume any particular motivation behind my opponent's request but i always assume the worst, picturing either some vengeful, bitter opponent or some smug gently caress confident of another win against me. it's just easier to dodge the pschological minefield i've laid for myself and take a fresh, random opponent.

Redmark posted:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I know basics and a couple intermediate concepts like pinning. whats some good low hanging fruit as someone who wants to improve for the first time? I've never done any work on my game at all.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
- Solve chess puzzles daily to train your ability to spot tactics. Doesn't have to be long, 10-15 mins

- Play longer, rapid (10 mins) or even daily games, as endless bullet/blitz doesn't help you improve much

- Watch youtube videos by strong players, Daniel Naroditsky's speed run playlists are excellent and ChessNetwork's beginner to master playlist explains some useful concepts.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Plugging this again: https://www.chesstactics.org/

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not sure how much of this is applicable, but it does sound like you might be starting from the bottom. if you leave pieces hanging, or don't see when your opponent's pieces are hanging, keep drilling with puzzles and focusing on seeing the whole board before you move until you see the hanging pieces 99% of the time. if you're in a low elo bracket, just being able to do this consistently will yield significant improvements without you having to learn anything else

if you're at that level already, continue developing your tactics with puzzles, and start studying your end games and basic checkmates. focus on being able to checkmate with 2 major pieces, or 1 major piece and the king, every single time. then learn how to simplify into those positions when you have an advantage. you should learn the basics of opposition and how to win a king and pawn endgame

start getting familiar with opening principles (not memorizing specific openings, but understanding what kind of things you want to get out of the opening, and what you want to avoid)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

I had somehow not seen this before, nice

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Got this video randomly recommended on Youtube which I think is a pretty cool puzzle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDkIo90kOwE
The logic is obvious once it's explained but not so clear when you first see it. I never thought about it but there are probably a bunch of chess puzzles which utilize the rules for something other than finding best moves.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks for that, really cute puzzle. Knowing in advance that there's only one square the king can be on helps with working it out because you realise it must have had to capture something otherwise there's multiple options

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

That site is exactly what I want, thank you! I went to a tournament in fourth grade but have hardly played as an adult.

I've had a few games like this where the chess analyzer tells me to sacrifice my horse for a pawn. what would I gain by doing what the analyzer says here?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I've had a few games like this where the chess analyzer tells me to sacrifice my horse for a pawn. what would I gain by doing what the analyzer says here?

Unless I'm missing something it's not asking you to sacrifice a piece, but rather complaining about Be6 which hangs the knight on c6 (and a fork) and wanted you to trade the white bishop with your knight instead.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

That site is exactly what I want, thank you! I went to a tournament in fourth grade but have hardly played as an adult.

Well for one, you stop yourself from losing both your c6 knight and a8 rook

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I wonder if you're reading the notation Nxd5 and assuming "d5" means a pawn because that's how pawn moves are notated

It's not necessarily intuitive if you used to use old style notation (NxB) back in the day, but this is how algebraic notation works. The piece on d5 is a bishop and it's telling you to exchange your knight for it.

Also in algebraic notation the letters and numbers are absolute and don't correspond to different squares depending if you're playing black or white, like "N-K4" did. Look at the little numbers and letters on the edge of the board.

Sorry if I'm wrongly assuming. I learnt chess from books written in the old notation and took a bit of time to adapt.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 16, 2022

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Maugrim posted:

Also in algebraic notation the letters and numbers are absolute and don't correspond to different squares depending if you're playing black or white, like "N-K4" did. Look at the little numbers and letters on the edge of the board.

Nothing like reading an old book where the KKt goes to KKt5.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I kinda like the romanticism of P-QR4 or some such but it’s definitely worse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Quoth the infallible Wikipedia:

Chess notation posted:

1614: The white king commands his owne knight into the third house before his owne bishop.
1750: K. knight to His Bishop's 3d.
1837: K.Kt. to B.third sq.
1848: K.Kt. to B's 3rd.
1859: K. Kt. to B. 3d.
1874: K Kt to B3
1889: KKt-B3
1904: Kt-KB3
1946: N-KB3
Modern: Nf3

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

thanks everyone. now that I've looked at it that wasn't an awesome example because it is so obvious what I opened up there.
Here's a better one: how is this a missed win?

I've taken an insane number of L's over the past few days but it's been fun!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

See that lovely rook that now has nowhere to go and nothing that can move to protect it? The white queen can move to the noted spaces to capture it, also letting the bishop out to attack the pinned knight

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah. Qd5 is the only move that would protect the rook but that blunders mate in 1.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand--if I move my queen to either of those spaces the rook can just take my pawn directly in front of it right? I really appreciate the help, let me know if I am posting too much.
I was ahead in the 3 games I played today and the app categorised them all as Giveaways. I step on a giant rake every single game when I try to transition from defense to offense.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I suspect the line the computer is giving isn't actually about winning the rook, but rather going after black's awful king. Something like 17.Qe6 Rxc3 18.Bg5 Nbc6 19.d5 and black is getting mated in the middle of the board.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Lol you're right, I saw Rxc3 while trying to figure it out and then forgot about it, shameful. Anyway listen to Hand Knit, he's the strongest player here (FM I think?)

What site are you playing on? You can probably find a way to display and play out the lines the computer is thinking of.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
lichess stockfish gives it +5 after liquidating into a queen rook endgame 2 pawns up

https://lichess.org/analysis/rn1qk3/pp2n1p1/1b6/2p2p2/1PrP4/2P1Q3/P4PPP/R1B1R1K1_w_-_-_0_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Chess notation posted:

Quoth the infallible Wikipedia:
1614: The white king commands his owne knight into the third house before his owne bishop.

Here's hoping for a Candidates coverage in this style.