Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
The thing about podracing is that given how silly some of those racers look and what we see of the race, some other humans should be more than capable of handling that poo poo.

Dale Earnhardt could have podraced and would have loved to do so

If the argument is supposed to be that only Anakin can podrace and not fuckin die, well it looks like most of the podracers out there can't even succeed to that level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Well I think out of all the horrific deaths at the podrace only one wasn’t caused by illegal interference. Two guys (three if you count a deleted scene) crash due to Sebulba’s cheating. One more gets shot by the Tusken’s. Only the guy who splats against a cave wall dies as “just part of the sport”.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give me a From A Certain Point Of View or Visions story about a tusken raider salvaging from crashed pods to make their own racer and make it big in a race

Maybe he races at one of Star Waver's performances

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Imagining TPM coming out in 77 and all of the podracers being played by just slightly weird looking english dudes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ingmar terdman posted:

Imagining TPM coming out in 77 and all of the podracers being played by extremely hosed looking, barely functional animatronics

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
God I remember I used to know the names of every single one of the pod racers as a kid, I could probably still name about half today. That whole sub-section of the merchandising campaign was marketing genius. Like a mix of Pokémon and the WWE. They even had all their names and backstories written out before the movie was even out so there was no “Walrus Man” or “Hammerhead” placeholders.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggestBatman posted:

The thing about podracing is that given how silly some of those racers look and what we see of the race, some other humans should be more than capable of handling that poo poo.

Dale Earnhardt could have podraced and would have loved to do so

If the argument is supposed to be that only Anakin can podrace and not fuckin die, well it looks like most of the podracers out there can't even succeed to that level

Who says Dale Earnhardt isn't our Anakin Skywalker?

To be fair, the specific race is supposed to be basically the big sports event of the season and out there even by podracing standards, for a sport that's basically Mad Max level at the best of times. Remember the quad-engined pod that doesn't even make it off the starting line?

Also a bunch of hosed up barely functional animatronics would go perfectly with how podracers are supposed to be barely functional deathtraps on the edge of functional as is.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Podracing was awesome and Disney will do a podracing trilogy in eight years time.

Also, it's time for a new watch order list:

Episode 1
Episode 2
Force Awakens

I think that's all the films that include podracing in one way or another. Wupwup!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

galagazombie posted:

God I remember I used to know the names of every single one of the pod racers as a kid, I could probably still name about half today. That whole sub-section of the merchandising campaign was marketing genius. Like a mix of Pokémon and the WWE. They even had all their names and backstories written out before the movie was even out so there was no “Walrus Man” or “Hammerhead” placeholders.

Same, though that's probably just because of the N64 Episode I Racer game, for me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who says Dale Earnhardt isn't our Anakin Skywalker?

Given that I live in Florida, and given how many car stickers I've seen treating #3 as Jesus...yeah, this checks out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

galagazombie posted:

Well I think out of all the horrific deaths at the podrace only one wasn’t caused by illegal interference. Two guys (three if you count a deleted scene) crash due to Sebulba’s cheating. One more gets shot by the Tusken’s. Only the guy who splats against a cave wall dies as “just part of the sport”.

I was always under the impression that the "illegal interference" was "just part of the sport." It's like how all the deaths are part of the Death Race 2000.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Lampsacus posted:

Podracing was awesome and Disney will do a podracing trilogy in eight years time.

Also, it's time for a new watch order list:

Episode 1
Episode 2
Force Awakens

I think that's all the films that include podracing in one way or another. Wupwup!

Rise of Skywalker has a sand skiff

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

Podracer triathalon where the pod switches between land, air, and sea modes, so the announcers can go "yes folks, they fly now"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

FunkyAl posted:

This is podracing?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I maintain that Rise of Skywalker contains the best movie of the back 3 and I may some day "guerilla" edit, it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vinylshadow posted:

Podracer triathalon where the pod switches between land, air, and sea modes, so the announcers can go "yes folks, they fly now"

They fly now?

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I don't care what galaxy you're from, that's gotta fly now!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

I maintain that Rise of Skywalker contains the best movie of the back 3 and I may some day "guerilla" edit, it.

I like it like it more and more on rewatches

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I give it 7 or 8 more years until people start looking back on the sequels fondly and ask that Daisy Ridley be brought back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Having just completed the Lego Skywalker saga with my kid, that's absolutely the best way to experience the "story"

The movies really could have used all the extra scenes of shirtless Kylo pumping iron

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spermando posted:

I give it 7 or 8 more years until people start looking back on the sequels fondly and ask that Daisy Ridley be brought back.

I've got news for you...

FunkyAl posted:

euphronius posted:

I like it like it more and more on rewatches

The reevaluation is reborn today. The war is just beginning.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Too soon and I don't think even Disney wants to go there. Not that it bothers me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1522049208051650560?t=wU90owZR3cnWj2JC2ZX3qg&s=19

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd expect them to set the next series far enough in the future to mostly sever ties with previous trilogy, but close enough that they can keep their options open for bringing back characters if they decide they want to. So maybe 12-15 years.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Scrap Obi-Wan, give me Larry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spermando posted:

She’s a great actor and kids like Rey. Whenever I go through Disney I see kids dressed as her.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about the ST but they left rey in a pretty much perfect spot for the next soft reboot. Have her do the obi wan thing for the new characters, wow nice nostalgia, oh no she can't hold back her palpatine possession any more and he pops out, bam you're off to the races

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You would need an antagonist .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kylo Ren comes back from the dead and starts killing children again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Mods No Masters posted:

Say what you will about the ST but they left rey in a pretty much perfect spot for the next soft reboot. Have her do the obi wan thing for the new characters, wow nice nostalgia, oh no she can't hold back her palpatine possession any more and he pops out, bam you're off to the races

Maybe they can even give her some actual personality traits next time around.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The tyrant LANDO CALRISSIAN maintains an iron grip on the galaxy with his mind-controlling smile...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I do think if they had been able to go in the more marvel like direction they were probably hoping for, force ghosts coming back to life would have been inevitable. It's probably not in play in the filoniverse, but no king reigns forever

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’ve heard basically nothing about the “High Republic” stuff that was announced a few years back, is that something that’s planned to make it to screen, or is it just a comics and novels thing?

Seems at this point that Disney is content to just live in the 10 BBY to 10 ABY period for as long anybody keeps watching.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think If someone has a good idea for a movie they’ll make one .

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All I really know about the high republic is maz kanata is there, being maz kanata. In a sane world that would almost guarantee it's not going to make it to the big leagues, but in the world we live in I feel like it might be a sign of exactly the opposite

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

All I really know about the high republic is maz kanata is there, being maz kanata. In a sane world that would almost guarantee it's not going to make it to the big leagues, but in the world we live in I feel like it might be a sign of exactly the opposite

Wouldn’t Yoda be around too? It’s set like 200 years before the prequels right? Or is Yoda still a child at 700 years old?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it does take place in the window where he's alive, but AFAIK he hasn't appeared. Probably in reserve for an embarrassing nerd cumshot in a movie if they do one. But maz is an actual character in the comics

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yoda appeared in like the first issue of the comic as a senior member of the Jedi Council, so he's definitely around and basically exactly the same except he dresses like Snoke.

One of the Disney+ series they're developing also takes place during the High Republic era, and apparently follows the Sith while they're hiding out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I do think if they had been able to go in the more marvel like direction they were probably hoping for, force ghosts coming back to life would have been inevitable. It's probably not in play in the filoniverse, but no king reigns forever

Marvel nothing, this was straight up a thing in the first couple of drafts of Return of the Jedi by Lucas himself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

thrawn527 posted:

Marvel nothing, this was straight up a thing in the first couple of drafts of Return of the Jedi by Lucas himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrfRNhKYik0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think If someone has a good idea for a movie they’ll make one .

Hasnt stopped them thus far