Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Looks like there is an NTS-2 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roN_WBWTgcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've been half-assedly thinking about/looking into oscilloscope solutions for a couple of weeks and that seems like a no brainer (I was hoping that there are ones that could be hooked up to a monitor, which would then give me an excuse to buy a little pvm to run it through, and then maybe may as well get into video synthesis, and so on...)

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

field balm posted:

I've been half-assedly thinking about/looking into oscilloscope solutions for a couple of weeks and that seems like a no brainer (I was hoping that there are ones that could be hooked up to a monitor, which would then give me an excuse to buy a little pvm to run it through, and then maybe may as well get into video synthesis, and so on...)

I've a couple of scopes but have considered picking up a pokit pro a few things, although they've been stuck as pre-orderable for a long time now - https://www.pokitinnovations.com/pokit-pro/

Interested in the spectrum analyser functionality of the NTS-2, doesn't seem to be a low cost equivalent of that available.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mm, iunno if I’ll get it. I’ve got enough hardware already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://youtu.be/JPcRE3h10lk

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkLMm0j4Fo&t=915s

I despise the sounds coming out of the drum sequence but the synth and voice thingy look fun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve got enough hardware already.

:frogout:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This is the toy collecting thread not the being productive with what you have thread sorry

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The next move is gonna be keeping things in the boxes on shelves and never plugging them in/racking them, like funko pops. Savvy synthesists, take note!

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i cannot stop laughing at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcV2W73rGc

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RZA has comedy chops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCy6yn4SDY

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

and to think for a time there were only volcas

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

JamesKPolk posted:

The next move is gonna be keeping things in the boxes on shelves and never plugging them in/racking them, like funko pops. Savvy synthesists, take note!
Largely rhetorical question for yuks: if you intentionally buy/have more e.g., eurorack modules than you have case space/cases in order to have things you can swap in and out to an intentionally constrained & limited system, does this count as the above?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

I am basically already there. I keep all my boxes and manuals and stuff for gear because I'll inevitably re sell it on reverb later so I want it to be as new and nice as possible. I hit a critical mass of gear a few years ago and haven't really put much more money into the hobby, I just trade stuff around now

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

JamesKPolk posted:

I have two unopened Roland Boutique boxes sitting on my bookshelf right now. (JD-08 & JX-08) :discourse:

I have challenged myself to record at least one track with each of them, and resell them if we don't click. :suicide: I'm in the middle of a track with a Roland MKS-50 right now; sidetracked due to a giant Cubase 12 rabbit hole, but will be resurfacing to complete more tracks soon.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Radiapathy posted:

sidetracked due to a giant Cubase 12 rabbit hole, but will be resurfacing to complete more tracks soon.

Having spent part of the day resolving a weird issue where HALion was showing me all kinds of content in Artist 12 that I couldn't access and I thought my licenses were messed up and reinstalled everything, but it turned out it was that Cubase had installed extra HALion content I didn't own without me realizing it . . . one sympathizes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

I have two unopened Roland Boutique boxes sitting on my bookshelf right now. (JD-08 & JX-08) :discourse:

I have challenged myself to record at least one track with each of them, and resell them if we don't click. :suicide: I'm in the middle of a track with a Roland MKS-50 right now; sidetracked due to a giant Cubase 12 rabbit hole, but will be resurfacing to complete more tracks soon.

I you end up selling either of those post it here I'll prob buy one

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I you end up selling either of those post it here I'll prob buy one

Definitely already dib's the JD last time this came up :getin:

I'm selling a JX-03 right now (or trading tbh if you'd lean that way) if you're interested, idk what the difference in boutiques is but the real ones the -08 just had more voices and stacking options

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Unpopular opinion:

Trackers > sequencers.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Pollyanna posted:

Unpopular opinion:

Trackers > sequencers.

having used six different sequencers and one tracker this is increasingly becoming my opinion as well

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Unpopular opinion:

Trackers > sequencers.

Whats the difference

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

70% hexadecimal, 20% vertical instead of horizontal, 10% attitude

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

HerzogZwo posted:

Even though it is pretty clearly marked on the case, I didn't know the TD-3 had a "random" sequence mode until a few weeks ago. Now I'm having tons of fun using it to sequence my afx mode enabled bass station ii.

I've been so out of the loop and busy with other bits of kit that I had no idea they'd updated my bs2 and the sub was an osc by itself now. Holy poo poo, chords! And I'd totally missed the tuning tables and paraphonic mode :ughh:

Pollyanna posted:

Unpopular opinion:

Trackers > sequencers.

I'll see about that when my ZX Spectrum Next gets here next year, I think there's a tracker for that. :v:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

titty_baby_ posted:

Whats the difference

90º

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

Whats the difference

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Hi all! I recently pulled my Akai MPK Mini MK2 that I bought ages ago out of the closet, and have been having a ton of fun plinking away in GarageBand.

I'm ready to move up to a larger and more featured keyboard to both have more range and features and to learn more traditional playing techniques.

I currently have my eyes on Native Instrument's Komplete Kontrol s61 and Novation's 61sl.

From what I have read, the Kontrol S61 has a better keybed, and poor key feel is my most significant driver for getting off the Akai MPKl; that's the direction I am currently leaning, but I am very open to input!

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 11, 2022

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
How do I sound like Skrillex, anyone? I have a lot of gear already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

You need a asus laptop with ableton now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

you travel back in time and invent skrillex first

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

you travel back in time and invent skrillex first

I think this has already happened. Somebody stepped on a butterfly though and now we've got this (waves hands everywhere)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man how bad was that person's day if their job was to go back in time to fix stuff and we end up with covid, Trump and Skrillex.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Man how bad was that person's day if their job was to go back in time to fix stuff and we end up with covid, Trump and Skrillex.

I'm sorry I'm sorry I was trying for more Girls Talk

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

I wanna say he was the one that got everyone to move over to FM8 from Massive, so you might have okay luck w/ a Dtronics programer and a DX7

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what is a wub? a miserable pile of automated effects

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

JamesKPolk posted:

I wanna say he was the one that got everyone to move over to FM8 from Massive, so you might have okay luck w/ a Dtronics programer and a DX7

lmao that's exactly what I need, the dtronics programmer for the original dx7 which i do have mint.
lets be real, digitone + digitakt and overbridge with an auto tune plugin, I think that would settle everything.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I get it, my post was super loving earnest. Let’s try this again assholes.

This little keyboard I have is neat. I want a better one to I learn poo poo on. Some of that is basic, like piano fundamentals. For that I need a bigger board. I also want to gently caress around in a real DAW.

I’d the Komplete s61 a good direction to go?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This little keyboard I have is neat. I want a better one to I learn poo poo on. Some of that is basic, like piano fundamentals. For that I need a bigger board. I also want to gently caress around in a real DAW.

What do you want, a midi controller? That thing you picked out looks like a hella premium midi controller, so go for it if you have the room. Think about what you are going to put it on too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Do you live in the NI world? Do you want drum pads? Do you have a guitar center nearby to try a few out?

The Maudio oxygen line is pretty well reviewed from what I've seen.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Never mind those palookas buddy. So you want to sound like Skrillex is that what I've been hearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Cheese Thief posted:

What do you want, a midi controller? That thing you picked out looks like a hella premium midi controller, so go for it if you have the room. Think about what you are going to put it on too.

Yeah, my initial search was for a midi keyboard with full size semi-weighted keys and DAW integration like pre-mapped knobs and interface navigation. Those are my 2 biggest issues with the Akai MPK Mini.

Matt Zerella posted:

Do you live in the NI world? Do you want drum pads? Do you have a guitar center nearby to try a few out?

The Maudio oxygen line is pretty well reviewed from what I've seen.

I don't have specific DAW software in mind yet and don't currently have any other NI stuff. The Akai has serviceable drum pads for now.

Guitar Center is a good idea, I forgot about local shops.

petit choux posted:

Never mind those palookas buddy. So you want to sound like Skrillex is that what I've been hearing?

I did at first, but then someone mentioned Girl Talk; now im in a 2005 fugue state and just want to make lovely mashups