Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every xr rules. The tiny 100's are a little weapon if you're a kid, a barrel of laughs just capable enough to have fun on if you're an adult. The 250 has possibly the most punchy (for a given cc) air cooled 4t engine that's at all widely available, it revs preposterously high for what it is. The 400 is a great donor/conversion bike for the 650. The air cooled 650 is again, preposterously powerful and high revving for what it is, has an excellent albeit heavy chassis that is genuinely a lot better than the DR, but still absurdly reliable, and is basically like an ultra sporty thrashy DR. Water cooled 650 is in a league of it's own, a real genuine super enduro, a sort of conceptually perfect halfway point between a 690 enduro and a 500exc (but made properly), basically a MX couch idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Every xr rules. The tiny 100's are a little weapon if you're a kid, a barrel of laughs just capable enough to have fun on if you're an adult. The 250 has possibly the most punchy (for a given cc) air cooled 4t engine that's at all widely available, it revs preposterously high for what it is. The 400 is a great donor/conversion bike for the 650. The air cooled 650 is again, preposterously powerful and high revving for what it is, has an excellent albeit heavy chassis that is genuinely a lot better than the DR, but still absurdly reliable, and is basically like an ultra sporty thrashy DR. Water cooled 650 is in a league of it's own, a real genuine super enduro, a sort of conceptually perfect halfway point between a 690 enduro and a 500exc (but made properly), basically a MX couch idk.

The water cooled is like a spaceship compared to the XR-L, DR, or (hold on....bahahahaha) KLR but fair warning to Americans looking to buy one: they were never intended for street use and depending on your state you might not be able to get it titled unless you go the indirect route, through South Dakota or Vermont. You'll often see these bikes being sold title-less with the PO claiming it's just an easy application for the title. Mmmhmm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d argue the klr is easily the worst of the three, but having ridden both the Honda and the Suzuki they’re pretty comparable.

The XR650R is the one that’s in another league

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One of my employees just got an XR-R and I can’t wait to ride it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

One of my employees just got an XR-R and I can’t wait to ride it.

This is why you read your employment contract very carefully

kidding lol

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

I'm totally shocked. All the vibe I got for years was it was the ugly slower heavier DR, but better than the KLR. Specs show them about on par, and real world riding sounds even more positive. This might be a fun alternative to the DR for a sumo/dual sport 650 to pick up this year.

Honda's 80s styling of the headlight shroud is totally charming, too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My understanding is that the R is just a straight up Baja/Dakar bike that got put on the market with only changes made for legality (exhaust maybe?), and the L is the more dual sportized version of the same platform, like heavier frame, softer suspension, lights, indicators, electric starter, etc. I read a few of those Dual Sport Shootout articles when I was trying to decide and figured I'd take either the XR or the DR, whichever came up first.

I've heard it the other way around, the DR is the slower heavier XR. I think Shelvocke has one, maybe he can weigh in?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I met a dude with a plated R once, years ago when I was still on my klr

He seemed to like it

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

I met a dude with a plated R once, years ago when I was still on my klr

He seemed to like it

A plated R was listed in my hood last week. Looks well kept but… 7500 big ones (CAD, so maybe ‘small ones’?) for a 15 year old dirt bike :stare:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/city-of-toronto/2006-honda-xr650r-street-plated/1610952991

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

May as well get a DR big if you’re gonna spend lots of $ on a bananas dirt bike

I’m sure the dr big can’t measure up to the XRR’s handling, and maybe even horsepower? But number go up

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

May as well get a DR big if you’re gonna spend lots of $ on a bananas dirt bike

I’m sure the dr big can’t measure up to the XRR’s handling, and maybe even horsepower? But number go up

The BIG is BIIIIG, XRR weighs around 300lbs it was too good for us.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

90s Honda was just generally too good for the world. Something like that could never last

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

90s Honda was just generally too good for the world. Something like that could never last

Capitalism took a while to realise they were making high quality, durable products at a great price, which is totally unacceptable cause it might make everyone else look like poo poo. But now they're making stacks of black triangles like everyone else, order has been restored.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All the bikes for sale around me are either too expensive or fuckin suck or both and it blows. I mean, there's a couple of interesting ones that might be ok, but, like am I really going to have to fly to Edmonton to find a deal on something cool? Why are all the cool bikes in Edmonton anyway? You would think that a market where you can ride year round and there's twisty mountain roads all over the place would be full of cool used bikes, but nope. They say BC stands for bring cash but it's more like been catfished.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

All the bikes for sale around me are either too expensive or fuckin suck or both and it blows. I mean, there's a couple of interesting ones that might be ok, but, like am I really going to have to fly to Edmonton to find a deal on something cool? Why are all the cool bikes in Edmonton anyway? You would think that a market where you can ride year round and there's twisty mountain roads all over the place would be full of cool used bikes, but nope. They say BC stands for bring cash but it's more like been catfished.

This is me but with the loving south island.

It snows half the year why do they need all the cool poo poo

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Finger Prince posted:

Why are all the cool bikes in Edmonton anyway?

Sudbury of all places usually has the bike I’m looking for :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Canada has such a small market of potential bikes already, so the bigger areas are already picked clean.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered a set of Tusk hard panniers for the DRZ like two weeks ago from a shop in BC. They've been sitting in "processing" for this entire time, kind of got steadily more annoyed day by day, but also ultimately decided I might want soft panniers instead. Call to cancel and the guy is like "yeah the order just went out on the truck".

I can't decide what it is I'm ranting about. Maybe that it took fooooorever to actually ship or that I didn't think enough about what I wanted before I pushed the buy button?

Well I guess I have some aluminum boxes coming for my bike after all, so... yay?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXLwpTbITo&t=183s

uhhh is it just me or is this a staged shot where they made a dog run out into the road

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXLwpTbITo&t=183s

uhhh is it just me or is this a staged shot where they made a dog run out into the road

Jesus. Yeah, 100%. The rider even looks off to whoever called the dog over after it cleared the road.

This was only 9 years after Milo and Otis.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's shocking that the MSRP on the GL1500 was over $17k in the 90's. That was a ton of money considering back then you could get new cars for under $10k.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Never underestimate how much money boomers had to blow in the 90s.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Never underestimate how much money boomers had to blow in the 90s.

Ironic, after all all the blow they spent money on in the 80's

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Piece of poo poo update:

Guy brought the key. The tank is hosed. The carb is this loving poo poo:

That's not a main jet, it's just a massive hole where the main normally is, with a (now defunct) o-ring around it. When you put the bowl on it plugs into a cavity which contains the drain screw:

The drain screw contains...the main jet:

I have no idea why anyone would do this besides trying to deliberately create the worst possible design, maybe it had some pitlane tuning value. The little cavity is a natural debris trap and the tight clearances mean you can have a blocked main without actually blocking the main. If the o-ring fails, it would just start bypassing the main entirely and gush petrol down the intake. This looks like it was already happening when the bike got put away cause the idle mixture was almost totally shut and the idle speed was cranked up ridiculously high just based on the position of the screw. Just an astonishingly bad and pointless design purely so you can get the main jet out without removing the bowl.

And no, I don't understand how I can have a 3yo phone that takes pictures this bad.

And again: this is the better of the two bikes, I have yet to see the worse one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

The drain screw contains...the main jet:

I have no idea why anyone would do this besides trying to deliberately create the worst possible design, maybe it had some pitlane tuning value.

This was exactly what it was. Or in the middle of the woods. My kawi F11 has the same style of carb actually. As long as you have a filter on the line to keep crap out of the bottom of the bowl, its an OK, if not the greatest design

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've seen that once....on a snowblower. What about dropping that carb altogether and replacing with something else? Or is that out of the budget? The other bike's carb is going to be so much worse.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Yo Jim I know we were going to lay off MAYORAL CANDIDATE Evr L LC but it's been quiet for a while and there hasn't been a good old-fashioned manic rant in a while. A new one popped up which is on the milder scale of things but still entertaining overall. Permission to bring joy to the lads one last time?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We get enough joy from you punching the elderly on a semi-regular basis.

Thread, if you want to know what’s up with evr llc, look him up on Facebook. Guy clearly has some problems and/or mental issues and we don’t need to air them here to laugh at.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
eugh fine I'll just have to find old women to punch on Mother's Day.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

fuckin goddammit

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/ims-outdoors-motorcycle-shows-canceled

I was really, really looking forward to that. My one realistic opportunity to try out a bunch of bikes at once.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Awww bummer, that would have been very cool.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That's a shame. Every review of those last year sounded great, so I was really hoping they'd get to expand from this year on.

Speaking of demos: A PSA for New England goons. There's a Yamaha demo day at Mom's in Foxborough, MA this Friday and Saturday.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well poop. I went a couple years ago and the local vintage dirtbike club had the biggest collection of old bikes I've ever seen. And some legitimately cool restomods of 80s-90s Japanese street bikes.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
We were planning a whole family excursion to go this year, dammit.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Sucks about the IMS, I always wanted to go to one and never had the chance.

Mini rant: It's been a real weird experience explaining that yes, the bike I bought is actually called an "Africa Twin", no it's not a racist slang term I gave the bike, it's named that because of this off-road race that goes from France to Senegal (or at least did for a while). No, this isn't the race bike, that's a whole different machine, it's just to honor the original bike.

Man, we really need to get better coverage and awareness of the Dakar in the US, it's a shitload of fun to watch and a hell of a lot better than F1 (fight me).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

All motorcycle racing is better than F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJRMQ8Yskw

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

funeral home DJ posted:

Sucks about the IMS, I always wanted to go to one and never had the chance.

Mini rant: It's been a real weird experience explaining that yes, the bike I bought is actually called an "Africa Twin", no it's not a racist slang term I gave the bike, it's named that because of this off-road race that goes from France to Senegal (or at least did for a while). No, this isn't the race bike, that's a whole different machine, it's just to honor the original bike.

Man, we really need to get better coverage and awareness of the Dakar in the US, it's a shitload of fun to watch and a hell of a lot better than F1 (fight me).

I don't think greater awareness of of the Dakar rally is going to fix the kind of broke brains it takes to conflate 'referring to the continent of Africa' with 'that's racist'.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

All motorcycle racing is better than F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJRMQ8Yskw

The fact that racing happens in F1 is largely an accident on the side.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plus Verstappen is such a whiner about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

I don't think greater awareness of of the Dakar rally is going to fix the kind of broke brains it takes to conflate 'referring to the continent of Africa' with 'that's racist'.

My coworker’s eyes bulged out until I reiterated “Africa Twin” to which he replied ‘“oh god, I thought you said something else” and I’m honestly okay with never knowing what he thought I said.