Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I don't know how you'd even get it up if the house wasn't also on fire while a tornado kisses a hurricane overhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Brainwreck posted:

Yea but tearing the house down would cost even more money when the ocean can just do it for free.

sunk 🌊🌊 cost fallacy

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why is there all that garbage sitting there before the house collapses.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kater posted:

Why is there all that garbage sitting there before the house collapses.

It's called the ocean.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
in conclusion things are gotta get really interesting when humans become the largest form of mammalian life on earth during & after biosphere collapse.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

it’s this year

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Of course the odds are 50:50. We'll either pass the threshold or we won't!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ClimateReality/status/1523899887091335168

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What happens to deer, squirrels, foxes, cows, birds ect during a wet bulb event hot enough to kill people.

I mean i already know I just want lol at the thought of having to try to kill a deer for survival in about 20 yrs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/SaleemulHuq/status/1524107984213004288

Is it "stop recording them as being linked to climate disasters"...?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

What happens to deer, squirrels, foxes, cows, birds ect during a wet bulb event hot enough to kill people.

I mean i already know I just want lol at the thought of having to try to kill a deer for survival in about 20 yrs.

The best adapted have higher wet bulbs than humans iirc.

Otherwise some can hide in burrows or try to just wander to safety. Some flying animals can bail out by going up.

Does anyone know about this for real I'd be interested to see how it would go down. Especially with fish or reptiles or bugs.

What about frogs

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The best adapted have higher wet bulbs than humans iirc.

Otherwise some can hide in burrows or try to just wander to safety. Some flying animals can bail out by going up.

Does anyone know about this for real I'd be interested to see how it would go down. Especially with fish or reptiles or bugs.

What about frogs

That actually makes me feel better. I suppose most of the small to midsized mammals can get underground like you said.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Brainwreck posted:

Yea but tearing the house down would cost even more money when the ocean can just do it for free.

Look, either you can pay money to tear the house down and then throw the garbage in the ocean, or you can just let it get swallowed by the ocean in the first place

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Hubbert posted:

in conclusion things are gotta get really interesting when humans become the largest form of mammalian life on earth during & after biosphere collapse.

drat, I've never though about this before. Lol. Lmao.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

any animal that cools itself through evaporation (sweating or panting) will have a wet bulb temperature where they can no longer cool themselves, but what that tolerance is will vary

smaller animals are generally better at cooling themselves than larger mammals, and there's evidence that during the Eocene warming periods, animals decreased in size 15-30% - horses were the size of house cats for example, so :rip: to big mammals if we haven't eaten them all before they die of thirst/starvation

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

TeenageArchipelago posted:

it's just following a similar collapse of the housing market along lake michigan a couple of years ago

https://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/2020/01/after-lake-michigan-house-collapse-the-next-challenge-is-cleaning-up.html

There's a few hundred stories just like this one

All our fresh water lakes poisoned by all the lead painted homes collapsing into them seems like a fun twist

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

It's not great.

How one heatwave killed 'a third' of a bat species in Australia

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Keep thinking about the stories of how its not getting cold enough for ticks and mosquitos to always die out in winter in Canada so some elk and moose are literally getting sucked dry

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Keep thinking about the stories of how its not getting cold enough for ticks and mosquitos to always die out in winter in Canada so some elk and moose are literally getting sucked dry

little tick and mosquito analogue to fossil fuel boom and collapse as they drink all the available blood in the forests and then starve, shaking their many extra fists to the uncaring sky and cursing their tiny politician ticks and mosquitos

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

They found one moose with like 40,000 ticks on it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A Bakers Cousin posted:

more than "some"

the last survey from 2014-2016 years ago showed that 70% of moose calves are dying from ticks before reaching adulthood

T-Paine posted:

average calves in the survey above had ~47,000

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hekaton posted:

little tick and mosquito analogue to fossil fuel boom and collapse as they drink all the available blood in the forests and then starve, shaking their many extra fists to the uncaring sky and cursing their tiny politician ticks and mosquitos

peak blood was a myth spread by liberal ticks

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Last few ticks sucking a skeleton moose, man I hope we find a technological solution to this issue.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Rectal Death Adept posted:

peak blood was a myth spread by liberal ticks

lyme disease causes brain changes driving humans to consume more fossil fuels to raise the temperatures to protect the ticks that are full of lyme disease so they can eat more mooses

its like those parasites that infect snails so they go up high and birds eat them and then poop parasites into the water so they can infect snails

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enfys posted:

more than "some"

the last survey from 2014-2016 years ago showed that 70% of moose calves are dying from ticks before reaching adulthood

:allbuttons:

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

lol lmao

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
mooses had their chance. nature selected them for extinction.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

One of my joys in life comes from deep sea ROVs getting footage of sea cucumbers pooping

https://i.imgur.com/J1s8zs8.mp4

I love knowing that they are down there miles below the surface, eating sediment and pooping it back out, living their best life as sea-dirt tubes
:swoon:

once i was crouched in a field beside a rock, and a small skink climbed up onto the rock, looked me in the eye and pooped. it was a magical moment

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

:swoon:

once i was crouched in a field beside a rock, and a small skink climbed up onto the rock, looked me in the eye and pooped. it was a magical moment
i peed in a bush while hiking in the middle of nowhere once

a bunch of columbian ground squirrels went nuts and start licking my piss

nature

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
getting properly into ecology means getting really into poop

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i peed in a bush while hiking in the middle of nowhere once

a bunch of columbian ground squirrels went nuts and start licking my piss

nature
this. this is the level we all need to be at

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Enfys posted:

more than "some"

that seems like a lot until you count them out

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just wanted to say I appreciate all of you being here. Lol.

Lmao

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

T-Paine posted:

that moose’s name?

*turns to camera*

PLANET EARTH

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Enfys posted:

... there's evidence that during the Eocene warming periods, animals decreased in size 15-30% - horses were the size of house cats for example, ...

:pwn: That's so weird man.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Enfys posted:

any animal that cools itself through evaporation (sweating or panting) will have a wet bulb temperature where they can no longer cool themselves, but what that tolerance is will vary

smaller animals are generally better at cooling themselves than larger mammals, and there's evidence that during the Eocene warming periods, animals decreased in size 15-30% - horses were the size of house cats for example, so :rip: to big mammals if we haven't eaten them all before they die of thirst/starvation

Wanna see that lil horse skele

Capitalism, give me a house horse. You've created this much horror and animal abuse, give me a horse that can live in my shoe.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Samuel Glompers posted:

Wanna see that lil horse skele

Capitalism, give me a house horse. You've created this much horror and animal abuse, give me a horse that can live in my shoe.
i am also interested in a potential tiny horse

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
really feeling this again

20,000 years of this, 7 more to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOqq1knVxs

starkebn has issued a correction as of 01:48 on May 11, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Enfys posted:

on one hand, the end of the holocene, industrial civilization, and the world as we know it over thousands and thousands of years in an unending and unyielding process started by our own cleverness and hubris. our indelible mark upon the Earth, the story of homo sapiens as a metaphorical icarus.

on the other, cute tiny horse might come back!

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 01:40 on May 11, 2022

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

starkebn posted:

really felling this again

20,000 years of this, 7 more to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOqq1knVxs

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1523803845549117440

(dudes twiter seems comfortably doomer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Enfys posted:

One of my joys in life comes from deep sea ROVs getting footage of sea cucumbers pooping

https://i.imgur.com/J1s8zs8.mp4

I love knowing that they are down there miles below the surface, eating sediment and pooping it back out, living their best life as sea-dirt tubes

I should have been pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas