Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Those guys are wearing DCUs, I'm pretty sure it's an old pic

I see a BK for Burger King but not a BK for Batman Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ukraine artillery and Starlink:
https://twitter.com/trenttelenko/status/1523791050313433088

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I regret to inform you, that Bayraktar is milkshake duck:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/05/16/the-turkish-drone-that-changed-the-nature-of-warfare

seems like a smart dude and a good weapon, but the guy is a huge Erdogan stan. Also Turkey is definitely gonna genocide some Kurds and Armenians with them in the next 10 years.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jimmy Smuts posted:

That fact that we can easily deploy such things with impunity, while the Russians are feeding their troops expired garbage, says a lot

It’s similar to the Pacific when Japan was losing tens of thousands of troops to starvation while the US was putting ice cream machines on ships.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not real

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

mrmcd posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/05/16/the-turkish-drone-that-changed-the-nature-of-warfare

seems like a smart dude and a good weapon, but the guy is a huge Erdogan stan. Also Turkey is definitely gonna genocide some Kurds and Armenians with them in the next 10 years.

its a turkish weapon system, this isn't shocking at all

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Trent is not what I would call a reliable analyst.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

mrmcd posted:

They already started https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Nagorno-Karabakh_war?wprov=sfla1

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

This is a huge thread in case it's not obvious. Threadreader link to make reading a bit easier:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1523791050313433088.html

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mlmp08 posted:

Dude knew one thing about tires and is now a twitter star.

I look forward to his eric garland arc.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

it does not take one hour to get call for fire lol, that person is a moron

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PookBear posted:

Idiot savant for tires, actually.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PookBear posted:

Yeah this dude clearly has no idea what the hell he’s talking about. From call for fire to target prosecution should be under five minutes (3 if the battery is assigned to support that specific unit and is standing by).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mrmcd posted:

gently caress i can't believe i can no longer consider myself woke and also a fan of a turkish weapons system

only one will save me from marauding russians though

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This might make a bit of a noise.
https://twitter.com/kdvncm/status/1524121921574604806

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

In the few words in the first tweet the OP manages to blame a favorite Trump conspiracy target for reducing American combat effectiveness while implying that Ayn Rand poster boy Musk is going to save us.

Yeah, I picked up that it was likely to be unreliable too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Why bother with Excalibur? Ukraine has Grads.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Murgos posted:

Why bother with Excalibur? Ukraine has Grads.

Much more economical alternative.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In Soviet revanchism, Ukraine invades YOU!

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not trying to be glib here, is there any portion of the front where that's a possibility? What happens if Ukrainians take Russian territory in Russia properly and not russian-occupied formerly Ukrainian territory?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I mean, wouldn't it work better out in the bargaining table if they had pieces if Russia to trade back for pre 2014 borders??

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OPAONI posted:

I'm not trying to be glib here, is there any portion of the front where that's a possibility? What happens if Ukrainians take Russian territory in Russia properly and not russian-occupied formerly Ukrainian territory?

Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Ukraine captured Belgorad and then bartered it back to Russia for the Donbass and Sevastopol.

However, invading Russia proper probably gets Putin the mobilization and support he needs to really make this whole thing even more obnoxious than it already is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OPAONI posted:

No one knows. It would be a pretty major symbolic black eye for our mate, but actual effects? Who the gently caress knows.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lightning raids into Russian territory to blow up POL depots (though they seem to be doing that fine by air), road and rail links!

Do we have a 'Tom Clancy furiously masturbating' emoji?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

OPAONI posted:

The armchair general in me wants Ukraine to put Belgorod in play to prompt a scramble to reallocate forces from the invasion to its defense and really throw a wrench in the Russian "special operation" propaganda. But it's hard to say what resourcing the Ukrainian army has for even a token offensive across the border, if any, to say nothing of how they perceive the risk of the Russian response outweighing the benefits.

They're actively regaining territory around Kharkiv and the rest of the front is mostly stagnant with small gains and losses here and there. What force either side can bring to bear a month from now is impossible to gauge, but Ukraine's mobilization is likely outpacing Russia's at the moment.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

OPAONI posted:

I was going to say it would be such an absolute embarrassment that it would be the end of Putin but then I remembered the level of control of media. So more likely used as casus belli to go towards full mobilization (those drat Nazis wouldn't accept being de-nazified and allowing "independent" states and now they have invaded us! We gotta mobilize the whole army now!).

Hammering useful strategic military targets in Russia that impede their ability to supply troops in Ukraine via artillery, sneaky copters and sabotage is one thing, rolling tanks flying Ukrainian flags into Russian cities is an entirely different thing, in terms of optics.

It's also probably too soon for that to even happen. Now in a month or so as US supplies filter through and Russia loses more and more the north east is probably where Ukraine will be able to theoretically roll across the border first. I doubt they'll do it for the reasons stated above though.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why roll tanks when you can bomb every oil tank and railyard to rubble without setting foot over the border? Why use subtle under-the-radar helicopter raids when you could throw artillery shells on target and every other thing besides? What's wrong with softening up Belgorod, tactically, and then just leaving it as a message?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Arrath posted:

Do we have a 'Tom Clancy furiously masturbating' emoji?
We've needed one since 2014, or even 2011.

edit: What would be the effects of full mobilization be on the economy? I'm guessing it would nuke it further?

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 11, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grand Fromage posted:

Russia has at least a few cities that would give the Ukranian sphere of influence a much-needed buffer zone. Like belgorod

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Violating Russian territorial integrity would probably legit put nukes on the table.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's a shitpost, but as a non-shitpost: putin is beyond done if he ever needs to use nuclear weapons to defend russian territorial integrity from ukraine

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
one of probably millions of "done" things, unfortunately

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So... Able Archer '22 when?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

davecrazy posted:

Violating Russian territorial integrity would probably legit put nukes on the table.

This has already happened.

Anyway according to Russian doctrine they'll launch their nukes if the state is under existential threat, so I don't believe they're going to if Belgorod is taken.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

IPCRESS posted:

So... Able Archer '22 when?

They’re calling it Exercise Arrow now, apparently.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ukraine actively invading Russia isn't something Ukraine needs to do, would invite sending the Ukrainian army into the same kind of morass that the Russians are now facing, and could lose Ukraine international support.

Will Ukraine bomb and fire upon targets inside Russian borders? Sure. But they won't move troops in or try to hold territory. There's no point. Ukraine doesn't want Russian territory, they want Ukraine.

The only real question there is Crimea, but it will probably be a lot easier for Ukraine to cut it off and isolate it and then just lay seige to a waterless Crimea until it surrenders.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I don't think Ukraine gains much from invading Russia. Being within artillery range of their MSRs gives them a substantial strategic advantage, and threatening to invade will ensure that Russian forces have to remain committed to protecting the border.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going up

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1524364367638192128?s=21&t=M7g18LgsQl-RJaF--KFp6g

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did Soviet engineers fail to consider the risks of storing ammo beneath the turret, or did they just not care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

Did Soviet engineers fail to consider the risks of storing ammo beneath the turret, or did they just not care?

Look into your heart and you know the answer