Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And yet still nobody will make one for FS2020! :mad:

All the third party devs keep making all these new computerized jets that are soo boring. Oh wow a modern A320 you say? So I can fly from Milwaukee to Salt Lake City RNAV just like the Delta flight I took last year?? Oh boy, can't wait!

I want to get in a 737-200 with shrieky cigar tube engines and fly to Mexico City in a thunderstorm navigating only with radio beacons and whatever ancient INS is in that thing. Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was watching a video of someone trying to fly the BAE 146 with only radio nav.

It turns out its hard to simulate flights from decades ago because so many radio becons have been removed from the real world and don't exist in the game. You really struggle to get a route that doesn't result in stretches with no VORs in range. And VOR approaches that are replaced by RNAV. And forget NDBs!

Zero One fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Zero One posted:

You really struggle to get a route that doesn't result in stretches with no VORs in range. And VOR approaches that are replaced by RNAV. And forget NDBs!

You got a compass and a stopwatch, don'cha?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

You got a compass and a stopwatch, don'cha?

Great now I’m thinking about the many many page heading is not course over ground argument in some yospos thread.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

I’ve always heard the F-104 resonance noise described as a “howl” not a whine (just like the Vulcan). Are there more howlers out there?

The airport I live next door to has a Vulcan (which they still run the engines on) and a 727 which is used to spray oil slicks. I often have to check when the 727 is running as it howls in a very similar way to the tin triangle. Maybe it’s the way the middle engine is situated in a sort of duct.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sagebrush posted:

All the third party devs keep making all these new computerized jets that are soo boring. Oh wow a modern A320 you say? So I can fly from Milwaukee to Salt Lake City RNAV just like the Delta flight I took last year?? Oh boy, can't wait!

I want to get in a 737-200 with shrieky cigar tube engines and fly to Mexico City in a thunderstorm navigating only with radio beacons and whatever ancient INS is in that thing. Hell yeah

The ones I’ve been in have been updated to glass cockpits.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
All airplanes sound the same on my end. It's a consistent "light chop" sound.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

I remember reading about the Vulcan (probably that very one) that was restored and flying airshows for about a 5 year period, 10 years ago. Part way through the program, they realized they needed to reduce the thrust they were using for engine longevity. This was decided reluctantly, because the signature howl on fly-byes was part of the draw. Well it turned out the howl actually became better, because the reduced speed of flow through the intakes excited the resonance better.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Zero One posted:

I was watching a video of someone trying to fly the BAE 146 with only radio nav.

It turns out its hard to simulate flights from decades ago because so many radio becons have been removed from the real world and don't exist in the game. You really struggle to get a route that doesn't result in stretches with no VORs in range. And VOR approaches that are replaced by RNAV. And forget NDBs!

That sounds like a cool mod idea, is that something that is moddable in MSFS?

I agree with Sagebrush, give me weird and unique planes to fly and not another tube liner. I haven’t had a chance to really mess with it but I downloaded that Grumman Goose for that reason (since there’s no MSFS Catalina I think)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hannibal posted:

That sounds like a cool mod idea, is that something that is moddable in MSFS?

I agree with Sagebrush, give me weird and unique planes to fly and not another tube liner. I haven’t had a chance to really mess with it but I downloaded that Grumman Goose for that reason (since there’s no MSFS Catalina I think)

It was MSFS. With the recently released 146 which has options for radio nav only.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Sagebrush posted:

I want to do cel nav in a 747-200 and get shot down by the soviet air force if I gently caress up

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

The airport I live next door to has a Vulcan (which they still run the engines on) and a 727 which is used to spray oil slicks. I often have to check when the 727 is running as it howls in a very similar way to the tin triangle. Maybe it’s the way the middle engine is situated in a sort of duct.

I still love that back in the day a few airlines marketed their 727s as "whisperjets"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

Or you can fly to Hermosillos on an Aeromexico 727 with a suspiciously loud, grinding pump, clearly audible right through the bulkhead at your seat with the window right next to the intake.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I still love that back in the day a few airlines marketed their 727s as "whisperjets"
Only on final

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Speaking of 727s, I read the NTSB report on TWA 841 today, and it looks like they were built pretty well back then.

(link to report; http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR81-08.pdf)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That just did that one on Air Disasters a month ago.

Just how many accidents were caused by cowboy pilots pulling breakers.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LostCosmonaut posted:

Speaking of 727s, I read the NTSB report on TWA 841 today, and it looks like they were built pretty well back then.

(link to report; http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR81-08.pdf)

It’s always fun when you search Wikipedia for a flight disaster and get a disambiguation page.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Zero One posted:

. You really struggle to get a route that doesn't result in stretches with no VORs in range. And VOR approaches that are replaced by RNAV. And forget NDBs!

I actually tried to do that last year in a Q400, when we had an airplane where both FMS's poo poo the bed in Montana, and the airplane had to get back to Seattle.

We couldn't do VOR's for the route, since two of the VOR's we needed were temporarily out of service, and NDB's almost worked, except for one gap neither the dispatcher nor myself could figure a way around.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is like the dream (nightmare) of everyone itt assume

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-passenger-lands-plane/index.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cessna 208 - was it an airline?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does he get to log time?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pik_d posted:

This is like the dream (nightmare) of everyone itt assume

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-passenger-lands-plane/index.html

No prob guys I got 900 hours on bad sport for griefing in GTA V!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Does he get to log time?

10-4.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

Does he get to log time?

I'd buy a logbook just for this, and have total landings at 1 and total takeoffs at 0 and close out the page.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Caveat that I'm not a pilot, so I know poo poo about poo poo, but I listened to the VASAviation recording of some of the ATC and something seems off from the official story. The guy seems to understand a lot of stuff that someone who has no idea about flying might not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDwzNtDMlA

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
if you have an iphone you can program a siri shortcut that responds to "hey siri what's overhead"

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 12, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Caveat that I'm not a pilot, so I know poo poo about poo poo, but I listened to the VASAviation recording of some of the ATC and something seems off from the official story. The guy seems to understand a lot of stuff that someone who has no idea about flying might not.

Eh, nothing about that seems suspicious to me. He's able to report his altitude and vertical speed; the article I read about it said that the guy was an "aviation enthusiast" so possibly he knew how to identify some of the gauges from flight simulators or something. If the plane had a glass cockpit, those numbers are both front and center. It isn't clear whether he actually found the transponder or the IDENT button, and it sounds like he didn't know how to tune the radio either -- they got him to make a phone call and presumably that's how they talked him down.

His phraseology is also improper ("10-4," "ninety-one hundred," never repeats his own callsign after the first call, etc). Not that sloppy pilots don't say similar things from time to time, but he doesn't sound like someone with training.

Plus if he had any formal training, even a student certificate, he would be in the FAA's system.

Too bad about the phone. I would have liked to hear the whole thing.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 12, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, nothing about that seems suspicious to me. He's able to report his altitude and vertical speed; the article I read about it said that the guy was an "aviation enthusiast" so possibly he knew how to identify some of the gauges from flight simulators or something. If the plane had a glass cockpit, those numbers are both front and center. It isn't clear whether he actually found the transponder or the IDENT button, and it sounds like he didn't know how to tune the radio either -- they got him to make a phone call and presumably that's how they talked him down.

His phraseology is also improper ("10-4," "ninety-one hundred," never repeats his own callsign after the first call, etc). Not that sloppy pilots don't say similar things from time to time, but he doesn't sound like someone with training.

Plus if he had any formal training, even a student certificate, he would be in the FAA's system.

Too bad about the phone. I would have liked to hear the whole thing.

Hopefully someone has FOIed it. They would have called to/from a recorded landline. I’ll sniff around at work tomorrow and see if I can dig up whether it’s been asked for yet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

stealie72 posted:

It was said that he's something of a wingnut, just no pilot training.

I have imagined myself in this situation. I really like to believe that I could do this, but, having practiced zero cockpit familiarity nor trained myself in any way in cockpit discipline - instrument checking, looking around, etc that is critical for staying ahead of the airplane - I have no idea if I could get in the correct headspace & stay there*. He knew which controls did what re: ailerons & empennage, and he clearly knew where the altimeter was, but was stuck on changing frequencies or setting the transponder...which sounds like more than he could handle in an unfamiliar cockpit layout & no familiarity with the avionics.

*highly unlikely, but I'd die trying

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/kristaniicole/status/1524483471405637633?t=4CI7S-N2i5kMyQIct5gScw&s=19

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, I'm a victim of lovely reporting because I missed entirely the part about him being a plane nerd. That makes a ton more sense.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The worst part is now there's a sim enthusiast with no training who truly believes that this poo poo is easy and everyone is too uptight.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hell yeah! I'd be excited too!

My uncle was stationed at Minot AFB and knew I was crazy about planes so one time we got up at like 5:30 so we could lay on the hood of his car and watch the B-52's take off on a training mission. It's the coolest airplane related thing I've ever seen and a rare privilege to have experienced it. I've seen an A-10 strafing run and 2(!) Fat Albert JATO takeoffs, to put it into perspective how cool watching those B-52's take off directly overhead.

It was probably a NW takeoff. Check out how close the road is to the runway:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aQYoAHgzw6Lv3vdk8

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

this poo poo is easy and everyone is too uptight.

:radcat:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The worst part is now there's a sim enthusiast with no training who truly believes that this poo poo is easy and everyone is too uptight.

:negative:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 12, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I keep going on "discovery" first time flights with the oldest, most frail instructors I can find but they just won't die mid flight so I can satisfy my hero pilot dreams, what should I do to induce a heart attack in an elderly pilot?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Bring a copy of Hatchet, though you might not like where you end up.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Challenge their elitist outdated rules and disrupt the ooda loop and challenge the modernity norm or whatever because flying is as easy as it looks. Flying and Safe don't share any letters and therefore it's unnatural to mix them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MisterOblivious posted:

Hell yeah! I'd be excited too!

My uncle was stationed at Minot AFB and knew I was crazy about planes so one time we got up at like 5:30 so we could lay on the hood of his car and watch the B-52's take off on a training mission. It's the coolest airplane related thing I've ever seen and a rare privilege to have experienced it. I've seen an A-10 strafing run and 2(!) Fat Albert JATO takeoffs, to put it into perspective how cool watching those B-52's take off directly overhead.

It was probably a NW takeoff. Check out how close the road is to the runway:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aQYoAHgzw6Lv3vdk8

I used to live in east Texas and it was always a hoot to take I-20 across Louisiana because you'd see people slow way down and stare when the BUFFs were flying out of Barksdale.