Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Correct and worth every penny
Summer Wars is streaming nowhere?!
https://youtu.be/K1W61zetQ1c

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thank you to whoever recommended Undone a few pages back. It’s nice and light and each episode being under 30mins makes it an easy watch before bed. Good fun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I’m watching “Itaewon Class” and I’m very confused with how time flows. Like the one sociopath girl who got drunk at the bar was a “minor” (so no older than 17) and in high school, but then two months later she’s 20?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Google says South Korea's drinking age and even age of consent are 20.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched After Yang yesterday and I was totally blown away. Love those "lived-in" feeling sci-fi settings. I feel like it was the closest thing to an Iain M. Banks novel in a movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I also watched a movie I'd never heard of before called Racing with the Moon and it was very strange and I'm still trying to figure out if I enjoyed it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched After Yang yesterday and I was totally blown away. Love those "lived-in" feeling sci-fi settings. I feel like it was the closest thing to an Iain M. Banks novel in a movie.

I was already on board and now even more so. Definitely need more Iain M. Banks-ish stuff out in the world.

I heard rumors a while back that Bezos was a big Culture fan and maybe had bought the rights to develop a series? Anyone know anything more concrete on that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

Google says South Korea's drinking age and even age of consent are 20.

yeah i used to watch a fair few K dramas and it was confusing at first until i realized that koreans basically believe that high school doesn't end until you're 21

japan is almost as bad

the fact that there is anywhere in the world that you can be charged as an adult for murder but can't drink a freakin beer is just madness to me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I spoke with a Korean acquaintance of mine and she said high school lasts an extra year or so in Korea. Now it makes more sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hard to believe there are countries in the world that nanny their kids more than we do haha

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Though not Sci-Fi, I HIGHLY recommend watching his previous film Columbus!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Nadia's character became a caricature of her season 1 character, almost like Natasha Lyonne was doing an exaggerated impression of herself.

Quotin from deep, but having worked on S1, Natasha is not doing an exaggerated impression at all. If anything, S1 toned down her usual patter lol.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Quotin from deep, but having worked on S1, Natasha is not doing an exaggerated impression at all. If anything, S1 toned down her usual patter lol.

Ha, that's fun info, thanks!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Started watching Cathedral of the Sea on Netflix, but only made it about 20 minutes. The writing is aggressively bad. It's self-parody level. Which is a shame, because the costumes and sets are great! A lot of really talented people obviously worked on this, just not the writers.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Watched the first episode of the new Star Trak show (Strange New Worlds) and I found it to be exceedingly cringeworthy in multiple places. The acting was fine, the visuals were nice, but man the plot was so incredibly convoluted and it seems like they crammed 5 episodes worth of story into 45 minutes. And then you have any moment of seriousness (the pilot features the crew making first contact with an alien species and saving them from annihilating their own world) completely undermined by the most eye rolling jokes imaginable. Star Trek doesn't have to be grimdark but it doesn't have to be whatever this is, either. Also the hairstyles are distractingly bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Watched the first episode of the new Star Trak show (Strange New Worlds) and I found it to be exceedingly cringeworthy in multiple places. The acting was fine, the visuals were nice, but man the plot was so incredibly convoluted and it seems like they crammed 5 episodes worth of story into 45 minutes. And then you have any moment of seriousness (the pilot features the crew making first contact with an alien species and saving them from annihilating their own world) completely undermined by the most eye rolling jokes imaginable. Star Trek doesn't have to be grimdark but it doesn't have to be whatever this is, either. Also the hairstyles are distractingly bad.

Aw man

I’m probably going to get Paramount+ next to get my Star Trek fix and was hoping this show would be OK.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Nah

It’s good

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My fav part was when the captain solved a bitter, centuries-long civil war with a 25 second speech. It's basically the West Wing in space lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mike Myers did basically Austin Powers 2.0 for Netflix as a show, and it's dumb as hell but tbh pretty fun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah

It’s good

I enjoyed it but the first episode was a little overstuffed. The plot with the planet felt like pretty standard trek.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

veni veni veni posted:

Mike Myers did basically Austin Powers 2.0 for Netflix as a show, and it's dumb as hell but tbh pretty fun.

So I Married an Axe Murderer extended universe, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

Austin Powers 2.0 or Love Guru 2.0?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Star Trek has always been varying levels of cringe. The new Trek shows are like over the top woke too but this one is going to be the best of them by a good deal I think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
watching 60 Days In on Netflix, and oh jeez

- first, obviously i feel bad about being "entertained" in any way by it
- the cops and showrunners do horrible crazy and stupid stuff. hardly any of the inmates do. of course.
- the white lady cop is stupid as almighty gently caress holy jesus

the one jail they're using looks pretty much identical to the one i was in, but i think they're in Alabama not Tennessee

i'd say it's "worth watching" but just like... it's not a happy fun time

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody watched the new HD version of Star Trek: The Motionless Picture Director’s Cut? Part of getting Paramount+ will be so I can watch that infernal movie without getting suckered into spending money on the UHD. I’m somehow compelled by it even though I literally fell asleep the last two times I’ve watched (I don’t think I’ve seen the Spock Spacetrip scene in like 15 years because I’m always nodding off at that point).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

Anybody watched the new HD version of Star Trek: The Motionless Picture Director’s Cut? Part of getting Paramount+ will be so I can watch that infernal movie without getting suckered into spending money on the UHD. I’m somehow compelled by it even though I literally fell asleep the last two times I’ve watched (I don’t think I’ve seen the Spock Spacetrip scene in like 15 years because I’m always nodding off at that point).

First off, calling it a director's cut is probably misleading; Wise was in incredibly ill health at the time the Director's Edition was produced in 2000 / 2001, and his level of involvement is highly questionable. Mike Mattesino and David Fein are lifelong Wise groupies who took some of his editing notes from 1979 and basically just re-cut the movie on their own.

So outside of some mildly re-done CGI (for example, the conference room scene somewhat fixes the placement of the warp nacelle but introduces all-new problems), it still has the same issues as the 2001 Director's Edition re-release, notably some terrible editing decisions (like removing Kirk's second "Viewer OFF!" after the Epsilon 9 call), and the unforgivable sound mix is still there; you can still here the original robotic computer voice over the re-dubbing they did with Majel Barrett for the 2001 DVD.

That said, I appreciate the movie more than I actually like it and it wasn't a terrible watch.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Star Trek has always been varying levels of cringe. The new Trek shows are like over the top woke too but this one is going to be the best of them by a good deal I think.

That's a fair point, I just wish they'd try and do something a little more cerebral like DS9. Imagine if Sisko showed up to Bajor and they wrapped up the whole "he saves the planet" storyline in one episode instead of 6 seasons. That's what the pilot felt like to me. Nothing seemed earned and they were going for these dramatic scenes without even really introducing the characters to the audience. Pike and Spock were the only ones that got any screen time before the plot started unfolding. I don't care about any of the secondary characters and the show is already forcing the "you have earned my trust" trope when some of the characters haven't known each other more than 24 hours.

Just seemed incredibly forced.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Winning Time is not a good show, but I don't think there was a moment when I wasn't entertained.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Star Trek TMP has the same flavor to me as Space Mountain in the 1980's, not just the ride, but including the experience of waiting in a long line for the ride, and experiencing the twists and turns of the bland corridors and sci-fi readouts and the weird thrummy feel of being in a spaceport. And I mean that in the most positive way.

I really like the movie, because I like ponderously slow space movies that earnestly try to push at the unfathomable boundaries of human experience, because I unabashedly love all Star Trek made before JJ Abrams, and because I am an idiot.

I have never successfully finished watching Star Trek TMP and I may never do so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

doctorfrog posted:

because I unabashedly love all Star Trek made before JJ Abrams

Even Nemesis? :stare:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Modern Leper posted:

Winning Time is not a good show, but I don't think there was a moment when I wasn't entertained.

How is that not "good" ?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it’s definitely a good show.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

So I Married an Axe Murderer extended universe, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo

Dammit this makes the show so much better, it was his passion project

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Timby posted:

Even Nemesis? :stare:

I'm gonna say yeah. Bad, even for a Trek movie, even for a TNG crew Trek movie, but yeah. I kinda do have love for it, and everything wrong with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

My fav part was when the captain solved a bitter, centuries-long civil war with a 25 second speech. It's basically the West Wing in space lol

I mean this is essentially how Star Trek has operated for 60 years

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How is that not "good" ?

It's a weird show. There are a bunch of very good to great performances and the set design and most of the production design is excellent. The writing (dialogue and general plotting) ranges from decent to trashy, the 4th wall breaking stuff is corny, the digital effects to (sometimes) make it look "70s" are silly. For me it's watchable but only because the actual real life story is interesting and there are strong performances. I can't call it a good show.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Buttchocks posted:

Started watching Cathedral of the Sea on Netflix, but only made it about 20 minutes. The writing is aggressively bad. It's self-parody level. Which is a shame, because the costumes and sets are great! A lot of really talented people obviously worked on this, just not the writers.

I got further, maybe two episodes, and it's an interesting story but unsubtle and really violent. As in, a servant gets flayed to death and they make an extended scene out if it. And there's too many characters that are evil bastards, just because they're evil bastards.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wanna eat lobster shirtless in a sweaty tent by the pool like doctor bus he is my hero and my new dad

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How is that not "good" ?

It's just as big, gaudy and tasteless as Jerry Buss was. It's a good time, just don't examine it too closely and know when to walk away for a bit.

Also, it's 2022 and we apparently still can't find a convincing wig for black male actors regardless of budget.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a weird show. There are a bunch of very good to great performances and the set design and most of the production design is excellent. The writing (dialogue and general plotting) ranges from decent to trashy, the 4th wall breaking stuff is corny, the digital effects to (sometimes) make it look "70s" are silly. For me it's watchable but only because the actual real life story is interesting and there are strong performances. I can't call it a good show.

This was my experience exactly.

Wild framing of that last episode where an elimination game for the other team the Lakers end up winning by nearly 20 points is this high stress do or die moment where the number 1 team in the west everyone expected to go to the finals is the underdog.