Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
I get that they make computer chips. But I don't understand why some only make CPUs or GPUs or AMD happens to make both. But Intel just recently or is about to come out with their first GPU? But why hadn't they before? And why doesn't NVIDIA make CPUs?

Any pc nerds here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Intel chips process like this

But amd chips process like this

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I get that they make computer chips. But I don't understand why some only make CPUs or GPUs or AMD happens to make both. But Intel just recently or is about to come out with their first GPU? But why hadn't they before? And why doesn't NVIDIA make CPUs?

Any pc nerds here?

I have a Doctrine in Computer Science and this question is for stupid idiots who don't know how to google the companies.

Intel makes computer chips that mainly are the CPU (Central Processing Unit) of a PC. They also make chips that run off of storage such as hard drives used to store and send memory at incredible speeds.

NIVIDIA and AMD make CPUs but for a different reason. It's the GPU for Graphics that run on Gaming computers and multiple gaming consoles. AMD also makes CPUs for being the desktop while Nvidia likes to make gaming poo poo that makes you want to hold onto your loving balls.

Hope this helps

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i bought a thousand shares of AMD at 3.66 but now i only have 35 shares and it makes me want to hurt myself when i think about it

thanks for asking op, hope this cleared some things up

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

nvidia is slitherine
amd is hufflepuff
intel is griffindor

hth

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
AMD is literally the gayest chip manufacturer and they have the smartest CEO, Dr. Lisa Su. Pretty sure that Intel's CEO is Howard Dean and they are going to just start making potato chips because they suck.

NVIDIA is the actually good one but they were never that cheap, or at least I never saw them that cheap.

Due to a worldwide potato shortage, it is hard to find chips from any of the companies except for intel because they substitute ingredients and don't have high standards.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I like to get my chips from Lays

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Katamari Democracy posted:

I have a Doctrine in Computer Science and this question is for stupid idiots who don't know how to google the companies.

Intel makes computer chips that mainly are the CPU (Central Processing Unit) of a PC. They also make chips that run off of storage such as hard drives used to store and send memory at incredible speeds.

NIVIDIA and AMD make CPUs but for a different reason. It's the GPU for Graphics that run on Gaming computers and multiple gaming consoles. AMD also makes CPUs for being the desktop while Nvidia likes to make gaming poo poo that makes you want to hold onto your loving balls.

Hope this helps

i pretty much wrote this in the OP, bro. But thanks. So what you're saying is that a GPU is a CPU, just for graphics?

edit: switched around cpu and gpu

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

i pretty much wrote this in the OP, bro. But thanks. So what you're saying is that a CPU is a GPU, just for graphics?

CPU runs like the brains

GPU makes you look better with the monitor on

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hope this helps

I know nothing about computers, but this post provided no information that wasn't already in the OP.

some only make CPUs or GPUs or AMD happens to make both

i pretty much wrote this in the OP, bro.

:hmmyes:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

kntfkr posted:

i bought a thousand shares of AMD at 3.66 but now i only have 35 shares and it makes me want to hurt myself when i think about it

thanks for asking op, hope this cleared some things up

ouch

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
NVIDIA's CEO's name is Jens but he's a boy and he always wears a leather jacket like he's gonna go on a high speed motorcycle chase but like c'mon bro, get serious. Lisa Su is serious and she dresses the part. Sharp.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Nvidia bought out what had been the dominating 3D card company in 1996, in 2001, because that company missed a single release window and couldn't keep up.
Hubris will always be your downfall.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
amdeez lmaoooooo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

wait until this motherfucker finds out about ARM architecture lmao fuckin sscrub JESUS

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Big Beef City posted:

wait until this motherfucker finds out about ARM architecture lmao fuckin sscrub JESUS

Huge Nvidia acquisition fail

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
i nvidia to suck on deez nutz

god dang got another one

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im learning a lot itt.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
suck deez nuts intel me what they tasted like op

i mean dang

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

im learning a lot itt.

A lot has already been said in the OP

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ok but really for the lay (more like fuckin lame) man basically it goes like this:

Processors have different architectures, the actual physical construction of the chips where the little bits of electricity cross the gates that open and close for them to signify the literal 1's and 0's of binary that they, well, process.

Some of these architectures are better suited for better tasks based on how efficiently the flow of that information is routed through the structure of the chip.

This results in things like "intel" and "amd" being the two main CPU standards (yes I know those are the brand names just...loving roll with it I'm not getting into that), as well as what differentiates a CPU from a GPU (note that both a CPU and GPU can process information, but fine tuning the architecture increases efficiency, etc).

The PROBLEM, op, you goddamn scrub, is that all these things are REALLY loving HARD TO DO AND IT PRACTICALLY TAKES SPACE MEN FROM THE FUTURE TO DO IT.

For example, almost all the microprocessors that Russia uses in all of its infrastructure? Those can only be manufactured in China because they're the only ones that know how to do it. And now they won't give Russia any.
So now Russia can't put processors into anything.
Anything.
Computers.
cars.
Appliances.
Tanks.
Vacuum cleaners.
LED lights.
Traffic signs.

They go in a lot so that's sort of a big deal.

If Intel or AMD ever both vanished from earth and took all their manufacturing and design information with them let's say ... that would be interesting. It's one of those technologies that we sure as poo poo know how it works. But there's only a few big rear end corporations that can make GOOD ones worth making since it took decades and trillions of dollars to figure out how to do it and build the things that build the things.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 11, 2022

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

one day MIPS will take off. Mark my words

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

i dont make enough money to be a pc nerd i just buy amd because its cheap

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

PS I'm a Doctor in Chips Challenge so you have to read my post twice and then stfu about it

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Im a Doctor and this thread needs help

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Chief McHeath posted:

suck deez nuts intel me what they tasted like op

i mean dang

Nvidia tape it :grin:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

kntfkr posted:

NVIDIA's CEO's name is Jens but he's a boy and he always wears a leather jacket like he's gonna go on a high speed motorcycle chase but like c'mon bro, get serious. Lisa Su is serious and she dresses the part. Sharp.

Did you know Jen is Lisa's uncle? Makes you think.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Any pc nerds here?

OP how much on a scale of 1 to 10 do you want the nerdiest explanations of how CPU and GPU differ

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't have time to go into it right now but the person who put in a lot of effort to explain things above or below was really wrong. i'll send you a pm about it later

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
This talk of Jen and Lisa is getting me horned up & horny 2 go. Who is Jen and Lisa plese post picture and any Sex Pictire to 2pumpblow@gmail dot com. Like to see the graphics on her!! ; )

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ok let me break it down for you - look down at the bag of chips that you're holding right now. imagine instead of delicious potatoes, they were made of sand. intel is plain and amd has ruffles. gpus are more salt and vinegar flavor and cpus are bbq

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
See Pee EW

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Any pc nerds here?

No.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Intel uses a teeter totter to place quantum dots on a plane within an electronic tolerance to simulate an aperture at a fixed bit width, amd uses a lever to squash a floating point onto a temporally resolved real plane and creates a ground state azimuth. Static trick vs magnet trick.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
AMD makes both because they bought ATI (of Radeon fame) back in the day and got all their IP to break into the GPU market.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My friend overclocked his celeron. We would call them celery as a joke, which was the style at the time.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
RADEON MY FREAKIN BALLS

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
They are all Taiwanese companies that make the entire world's computer parts. If China invades them it's all over.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has anyone ever met someone who works on developing new CPUs and GPUs?

Are they like normal people that own normal looking houses and drive into work every day, or are they people with brains so advanced they can barely function in society and are chained up in the bowels of the company's secret R&D facilities so no other company can poach them and steal their secrets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I believe NVIDIA is Mexican for envy. I hope that explains it.