Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Apologies if I've said this before, my memory can be a bit swiss cheese-y, but if/when we get a Triangle Strategy sequel I want more people to be on horses and hawks, both on the player and enemy side, so you can get more out of bows being anti-hawk and spears anti-horse.

Horseback archers. Horseback mages. Hawk mages. Hawk spear users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Junpei posted:

Apologies if I've said this before, my memory can be a bit swiss cheese-y, but if/when we get a Triangle Strategy sequel I want more people to be on horses and hawks, both on the player and enemy side, so you can get more out of bows being anti-hawk and spears anti-horse.

Horseback archers. Horseback mages. Hawk mages. Hawk spear users.
Same. It felt like they spent a lot of time building the foundations of a great combat system, but it wasn’t matched by the design of characters or enemies.

I mentioned this previously but this game feels very much built out by three separate teams — story, exploration and combat — working in parallel. The game is good but the distinct
elements don’t particularly gel together.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I started 3 Houses, and I'm already 10 hours in so def liking it, but maaan why is the town so goddamn big? I'm getting FF12 flashbacks. Thanks for all the Recs, this'll be taking up many many hours

e: I also hate the calendar but that's a Me thing

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 6, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Barreft posted:

I started 3 Houses, and I'm already 10 hours in so def liking it, but maaan why is the town so goddamn big? I'm getting FF12 flashbacks. Thanks for all the Recs, this'll be taking up many many hours

It’s big so that you feel overwhelmed when you start but as you get to know the space it gets easier to navigate. I think Garreg Mach is one of the most well-designed game maps and they give you full quick travel pretty quick too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Garreg Mach is pretty big. I know some people got really tired of it but I never really did in my multiple playthroughs. I'll accept I might be weird, though.

It definitely helps that you can fast travel around it but there's still a lot to do there in any given week.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Three Houses is a good game but I really wish they'd simplify things down in future FE games. Sacred Stones-ish gameplay with robust character dialogue and cute gays is all I ask for. The weapon triangle and class weaknesses provide plenty of depth for those games; I'd much rather have a simple combat system and more interesting maps than have to deal with shadow beasts and stone giants and weaponskills.

OTOH I am sad that there has not been a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 3. I feel in my bones that SE could make a Final Fantasy Eorzia Tactics game using FF14 lore and it would be really successful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
By the 2/3rds mark I was insanely, insanely tired of Garreg Mach.

Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn were basically the pinnacle of the franchise.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Luckily I'm just playing on Normal and Casual. I lost like 200 hours between Elden Ring (150 of it all lol) and TS. I'm liking it. Not into the romance poo poo so I'm just doing free point battles over and over when I'm able to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's more to the support conversations than romance, and in fact there are a lot of non-romantic paired endings for characters. They're a good source of character development if you're into that at all. A lot of them fill a similar role to the little character vignettes you get in Triangle Strategy, actually. But you'll also unlock plenty just by doing battles.

Which house did you pick?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

There's more to the support conversations than romance, and in fact there are a lot of non-romantic paired endings for characters. They're a good source of character development if you're into that at all. A lot of them fill a similar role to the little character vignettes you get in Triangle Strategy, actually. But you'll also unlock plenty just by doing battles.

Which house did you pick?

Edelgard. I'm still doing all the other stuff don't get me wrong.

E: I've played Persona so I know how it goes.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 6, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Liberty ending: lol gently caress, Serenoa and Benedict invented neoliberalism :negative:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

Liberty ending: lol gently caress, Serenoa and Benedict invented neoliberalism :negative:

Benedict invented neoliberalism.

Serenoa was there.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

Serenoa was there.

Serenoa was complicit and is now enforcing it soooo

Edit: there were a lot of hawkriders and horsey boys in the mock battles but yeah, certain routes would have very few. Aesfrost has all the hawkriders and Hyzante has the horses so it depending on who you chose to battle against in the story.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 6, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Serenoa was there.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Serenoa was complicit and is now enforcing it soooo

There's something amusingly appropriate about the final battle of that route being against a robotic figurehead ruler and a bunch of marionettes. Idore and Benedict both made themselves figureheads they could puppet, they just did it in different ways.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love that the very last shot of the Liberty route is Serenoa sitting on a throne looking glum, with a glummer Frederica at his one side, and Benedict with the biggest poo poo-eating grin on the other.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but this is Triangle Strategy. We get both the picture and the thousand words.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I freed the roselle and im happy with it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

I freed the roselle and im happy with it

Same

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That route’s my next playthrough, then time to shoot for the golden route.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I might replay for benedicts route and the gold route but tbh i genuinely dont think i can stomach rolands route

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I might replay for benedicts route and the gold route but tbh i genuinely dont think i can stomach rolands route

Yeah same, I think just happily going along with perpetuating slavery is something that would just feel awful to play out, even for completionism's sake.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Giving up the Roselle and going Roland’s route at the end are definitely the most morally reprehensible choices one could make in this game. I will just spoil it for people who refuse to take that route:

Frederica leaves the party. Roland bends the knee to Hyzante and exchanges his title of King for Saint, after Iodore torches Tenebrae for assisting in the illegal salt trade. They attack Aesfrost. I think the first battle is at Twinsgate? Then in the Capitol you fight Gustadolf and defeat him.

Then suddenly Svarog blows up the entire Capitol by firing the Deathsknell at the Aesfrosti blast furnace. The final boss is Svarog where you have to dodge rivers of molten iron. Once he is defeated, Hyzante rules all of Norzelia.

The final scene is Roland and Serenoa walking through the city around Whiteholm commenting on how peaceful the Goddess’s teachings have made everything. They overhear someone talking about a bald prophetess wandering around claiming the goddess’s teaching are false. The people decry her as a blasphemer. The end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that I'm in NG+, is there a recommended way to level up characters I didn't use the first time around? I know characters catch up really quickly, I'm just wondering if there's an easy mock battle or something where I can just bring in like four underleveled dudes to spam HP Pellets on themselves and gain levels while I stall.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can set the difficulty to Very Easy and any mock battle will do. Pick something well above their level if you just want them to hang back and toss items, or you can pick something “only” 5-10 levels over theirs and they can get to participate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Giving up the Roselle and going Roland’s route at the end are definitely the most morally reprehensible choices one could make in this game. I will just spoil it for people who refuse to take that route:

Frederica leaves the party. Roland bends the knee to Hyzante and exchanges his title of King for Saint, after Iodore torches Tenebrae for assisting in the illegal salt trade. They attack Aesfrost. I think the first battle is at Twinsgate? Then in the Capitol you fight Gustadolf and defeat him.

Then suddenly Svarog blows up the entire Capitol by firing the Deathsknell at the Aesfrosti blast furnace. The final boss is Svarog where you have to dodge rivers of molten iron. Once he is defeated, Hyzante rules all of Norzelia.

The final scene is Roland and Serenoa walking through the city around Whiteholm commenting on how peaceful the Goddess’s teachings have made everything. They overhear someone talking about a bald prophetess wandering around claiming the goddess’s teaching are false. The people decry her as a blasphemer. The end.

Thanks for this and yeah...i think im good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be exact only Gila hears about Frederica. Roland and Seronoa are just talking about how much better things have gotten, with Roland after seeing two Orphans giving thanks to the Goddess of Salt for how much their quality of life has improved, remarking he made the right choice.

Here's the ending image for Roland's route.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lmao that's quite the image

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Thanks for posting this and reinforcing that I will never take that route. I know it's just a video game but I felt really bad doing an "evil" playthrough of Fallout 3 where I blew up Megaton. :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact only Gila hears about Frederica. Roland and Seronoa are just talking about how much better things have gotten, with Roland after seeing two Orphans giving thanks to the Goddess of Salt for how much their quality of life has improved, remarking he made the right choice.

Here's the ending image for Roland's route.

Thanks for clarifying, I forgot that Geela was involved in the scene. And yeah, that image is very subtly insidious.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I finished my first run last night, chose Frederica's route. Between the other night when I first attempted it and last night I think I failed 5 or 6 times before completing the final map. Lot of fun though, looking forward to starting new game plus this weekend.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I recruited the character that's available for choosing the shittiest choices regarding the Roselle. I found him to be pretty meh. A fitting punishment.

Edit: by the time I am done with this game, I will have only not gotten to recruit a single character, which really annoys me. I don't need another healer anyway. Are they in any way better than Geela?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 7, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Prowler posted:

I recruited the character that's available for choosing the shittiest choices regarding the Roselle. I found him to be pretty meh. A fitting punishment.

Edit: by the time I am done with this game, I will have only not gotten to recruit a single character, which really annoys me. I don't need another healer anyway. Are they in any way better than Geela?

You're almost at the end of the game and haven't gotten to invite any new characters? lol

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Barreft posted:

You're almost at the end of the game and haven't gotten to invite any new characters? lol

All but one of the recruitable characters.

To recruit all characters, you have to play through the game four times fully. I'm only doing three, having reloaded a save to get one of the endings.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Prowler posted:

All but one of the recruitable characters.

To recruit all characters, you have to play through the game four times fully. I'm only doing three, having reloaded a save to get one of the endings.

Oh I didn't know you only meant the storyline characters, my bad

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So uh... mostly ended up roping myself into the Golden Route semi-blind and just finished the (honestly kinda grueling) Chapter 18 gauntlet.

I.. have some thoughts about some of these other routes in particular.

I got hella lucky in not having burned any of the houses when I kept Roland the first time, because it would have really, really loving sucked if Serenoa's entire brainstorm fell apart because he had no way to slow Hyzante down. I did look up previously that exposing the illegal salt trade kinda blows up in your face, but everything else I wasn't using a guide super indepth for. But anyway, these choices..

Frederica's is probably the one I would have chosen because Glenbrook and Aesfrost are kinda hosed, and looking for this legendary promised land is still better than perpetual slavery even if it didn't really exist.

Benedict's plan made some sense, but I definitely got some heavy "MLK's depiction of white moderates" vibes when he was like "yeah but now's not a great time to free the Roselle." motherfucker they've been slaves for three decades and the main purpose we're even allying with Archduke Dracula is to invade Hyzante anyway!

Roland's plan was absolutely batshit insane and I'm glad he realized in the Golden route that his plan was absolutely loving absurd.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's misleading because Serenoa does in fact free the Roselle on the Liberty route. He just doesn't also do reparations so they wind up being free but still a totally impoverished underclass. It's kind of weird that Serenoa is totally in throng to neoliberalism in that ending only but w/e they wanted to come up with a downside for everything.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Thats the point, if the Roselle wasn't in Wolffort in the first place because of what Symon did to gain their support, Benedict would have thrown them to the wolves that is Hyzante. But he also ruthlessly wanted to make Frederica stayed loyal so he promises freedom for her people and nothing else. Only reason he also considers fighting Hyzante was how much of an upstart Exharme was in one upping him at every turn.

A part of me wishes for an alternative bad ending route where the three remain but they pay the price in some form. Roland becomes a cold hearted tyrant with every intention to remove Serenoa from power at first opportunity, Frederica manages to gain some compromise in the Goddess' blessing by being elevated as the Minister of Sacrifice in managing the Source's laborers as she became the equivilant of the devil in the eyes of Aesfrosti and older generations of Roselle who resent her even as the next generation becomes the unofficial overseers of the Source to "rehabilitate" the defiant and unrepentant Aesfrosti/Royalist slaves and Benedict gives his life to save Serenoa's as Frederica learns the bitter truth after they settled down in Centralia

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Nanomashoes posted:

It's misleading because Serenoa does in fact free the Roselle on the Liberty route. He just doesn't also do reparations so they wind up being free but still a totally impoverished underclass. It's kind of weird that Serenoa is totally in throng to neoliberalism in that ending only but w/e they wanted to come up with a downside for everything.

Benedict’s ending is literally just turning Norzelia to America.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I jokingly put "Let Us Cling Together" as a stream title sometimes whenever I play this game, and figured it would be a fitting chapter name. So imagine my delight when Serenoa uses the phrase in his big speech in the Golden Route.. Nothing can convince me it isn't a reference.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Prowler posted:

I jokingly put "Let Us Cling Together" as a stream title sometimes whenever I play this game, and figured it would be a fitting chapter name. So imagine my delight when Serenoa uses the phrase in his big speech in the Golden Route.. Nothing can convince me it isn't a reference.

Do you have a link to your stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The bridge version of chapter 13 on hard took like 2 and a half hours to beat as I slowly plinked away hoping for my turns to line up so I could kill the healers. It was worth it though for the mental image of Frederica stepping through her evil sisters bombs and flames while getting stronger to roast her and her brother.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use Frederica for a while because she's like 3 levels ahead of everyone else along with Milo, Geela, Medina and Archibald