Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Rice Boy hasn't been posted in a while. I appreciated flavor.flv sharing it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Little Bubby Child

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

The cat has a hemorrhoid. His friend asks how he will cure it.

This comic by Christoph Onstad, who is not looking to refinance his house at this time.

The Slavic robot has an issue with another robot.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Hygiene posted:

FYI don't trust urbandictionary to help you understand this language joke

Genki is Japanese for energetic and healthy

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Anime jokes make me sick and lethargic.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Shageletic posted:

TPOH and Softies are pretty similar to me. Very good art with something missing inside.

:same:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

By popular demand posted:

Anime jokes make me sick and lethargic.

Hmm, yes. Anime is blood.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:same:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's a good point, though. Ulf is failing because he's pitting the energy of 1.6 billion average morons against a planet made of (at time of writing) 6 billion average morons. Maybe once there are 6 billion moron Ulfs he will ACHIEVE VICTORY

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Is it possible to work out the proportion of Ulfs destroyed by nuclear holocaust?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rollick posted:

Is it possible to work out the proportion of Ulfs destroyed by nuclear holocaust?

Sort of.

2^31 is 2147483648, which is the number of Ulfs there would be if all of them had survived to this point. We actually have 730768376, which is only around a third of that.

However, this isn't accounting for Ulfs that died earlier on - we're counting each of the Ulfs that would have split off from past dead ones as being separate deaths, which probably isn't accurate. You'd have to comb back through the comic and count week by week to get a more accurate proportion.

What is definite is that about two-thirds of the universes in play are in an apocalypse state, not accounting for any Ulfs that might have died or been de-chipped in other ways.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a good point, though. Ulf is failing because he's pitting the energy of 1.6 billion average morons against a planet made of (at time of writing) 6 billion average morons. Maybe once there are 6 billion moron Ulfs he will ACHIEVE VICTORY

Then maybe it's time to

KILL SIX BILLION MORONS

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What if they all get infected with a mormon brain virus?
Would you kill 6B mormons?!

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Sort of.

2^31 is 2147483648, which is the number of Ulfs there would be if all of them had survived to this point. We actually have 730768376, which is only around a third of that.

However, this isn't accounting for Ulfs that died earlier on - we're counting each of the Ulfs that would have split off from past dead ones as being separate deaths, which probably isn't accurate. You'd have to comb back through the comic and count week by week to get a more accurate proportion.

What is definite is that about two-thirds of the universes in play are in an apocalypse state, not accounting for any Ulfs that might have died or been de-chipped in other ways.

Cool thanks. Yeah, I think if you had been keeping a list of the counts week on week you could figure out the survival rate, and maybe plot it in a kind of bifurcation diagram.

Maybe you could have spotted things going wrong before the Ulfs did

e: comics content:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

lol i did enjoy this part

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible
TRAUMATIC INCIDENT No. 17
December 5, 2005

The giant fleas on the Choking Dog were an interesting detail.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I can't wait for the next tdbc. It must be due any minute.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Come And See posted:

Little Bubby Child

The quoted is "high art". I dunno, sometimes I also feel a little rattle snakey.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Transdimensional Brain Chip

133. A house in New Zeeland [sic]

134. New virus

135. Removal

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I know a lot happened in that update but let’s not gloss over Aisha’s smug fish shirt

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Ah yeah that's the good stuff

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Transdimensional Brain Chip

135. Removal

Great final line, what a cliffhanger.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Okay I dropped the first two parts on your guys' laps without explanation but since we're at the final part I might as well explain: a few years into PKNA's run Disney tried introducing the concept to Americans; but rather than just straight up translating and releasing the series in America, they tried to make an American version or something, and had a 3-part strip that ran in Disney Adventures magazine created by regulars (notably including artist Steven Butler, most well known for being the artist on Archie Sonic who drew female characters Like That; man it was incredibly surreal finding out that he had been a regular artist on Disney Adventures back when I was reading it as a kid). I remember reading this as a kid (well part 1 at least) and so when I finally first checked out PKNA a few years back I was wondering where the gently caress the bee was.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

vyelkin posted:

135. Removal

We're getting close enough to the end that's it's really tough to not just read straight through the rest after something like that :sweatdrop:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Captain Hygiene posted:

We're getting close enough to the end that's it's really tough to not just read straight through the rest after something like that :sweatdrop:
I made it to #123 before giving in

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Foolish behaviour, the dramatic tension I am expecting is superb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fagtastic posted:

Foolish behaviour, the dramatic tension I am expecting is superb.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't do it! The ending is also boobytrapped with a Christian virus.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So I ended up skipping ahead a bit on Concerned because I was trying to remember why I enjoyed it and it does get a bit funnier down the line but I'm not sure if I want to keep posting it for my own sake. Is anyone else enjoying it? If not I'll just stop here and probably start posting the Google-Translate-hosed version of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure someone started on Twitter.

e: edited to add the commentary

Concerned: the Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

Panel 1: There are countless threads on the various HL2 forums about what is in G-Man's briefcase, which he always carries. G-Man's thought in Panel 1 is based on part of his speech to the player at the beginning of the game, which reads "...All the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has come again."
Panel 2: Dialogue based on G-Man's speech to the player at the very end of the game.

Panel 3: An Archvile is a monster from the Doom series of games.

Originally, G-Man was supposed to run around a corner and dive through a window, but there weren't any breakable windows on this level. I actually prefer him shimmying up a light pole anyway.

Posing notes: Like I said earlier, noclipping lets you pass through walls and, in effect, fly around the map, even off the ground and through the air. However, trying to pose a ragdoll when you're noclipping can be a little tough. Tapping the 'W' key while you're on the ground moves you a step forward, but doing the same thing while noclipping will zoom you a bit further, so it's hard to make small adjustments. To pose G-Man up on the light pole, I spawned a prop, I think it was a Dumpster, with a large flat surface. I locked the Dumpster in mid-air next to the light pole at the level I wanted G-Man at, then I noclipped and flew up to the Dumpster, turned noclipping off, and stood on the levitated Dumpster. That way, I could walk around normally and easily make small adjustments to G-Man. Then I jumped down to the ground and removed the Dumpster prop.

In the game, you hear Dr. Breen reading a letter during his broadcast. He says: "I'd like to read a letter I received. Dear Dr. Breen: Why have the Combine seen fit to suppress our reproductive cycle? Signed, a Concerned Citizen." This is where the name of the comic comes from, and we see that Frohman had a little more to say than was read on the air.
Posing Notes: The idea is to make Frohman look completely at ease in City 17, as opposed to the rest of the populace (I started with him just sitting, but then had him relax a bit). In hindsight, the woman sitting on the bench shouldn't have been looking so comfortable and casual. This is Michelle, who Frohman will hit on later in the comic.

I drew Frohman's pencil in Photoshop, and it looks absurdly big (which wasn't my intention, I just suck at drawing).

While I was posing Frohman on the bench, an in-game character walked over and sat down on him. A little later, an in-game Frohman walked over and sat down on him.

Posing Notes: In the main town square, there are several entrances that are blocked-off by blue force fields. The force fields fade away when you move away from them. You can see in Panel 3 that the force field is almost completely faded. What happened was this. I spawned a live cop, who you can see in the background. I wanted to have him move a little so he didn't look like a statue from one panel to the next, so I placed the static camera to take pictures, then ran across the square to fire my pistol, so the spawned cop would look over at me, at which point I'd snap the picture. Thing is, by moving myself away from the force field, it weakened (sometimes turning off completely). There were a number of unusable shots because of this, and I didn't notice this until I was assembling the comic.
Also, citizens in the game kept walking through the scene, bumping into my posed ragdolls, who were blocking the door. I had to close off all the other entrances by blocking them with objects (Dumpsters, again).

Also also, Frohman should have been on the right side of frame and not the left, due to the order of the dialogue. I really didn't plan this comic well at all.

Finally, since I did this comic before the others, I placed the newspaper in Frohman's hand, while it should technically be hovering in front of him (see comics 007 & 008).

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:14 on May 11, 2022

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I remember really liking Concerned back in the day so I appreciate the posting.

I also enjoy the authors commentary, always cool to get some peak behind the curtain.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I enjoy it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Okay! As long as someone's enjoying it I'll keep posting it. And thanks for the reminder on the commentary, I went back and added them

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I've seen the entire rise of the cinematic approach to storytelling in first person games and I'd just like to state plenty of them could do with some commentary from some rando who completely misunderstand the situation.
Makes the game world seem more lived in.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

+1 to enjoying Concerned. It and 8 bit theater were my big introductions to webcomics.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I remember liking Concerned a long time ago and then forgetting it ever existed shortly after finishing it, so reading it is like a trip down memory lane and I'm curious to see how much of it holds up. I'm also enjoying reading the author's commentary on how making a comic using Garry's Mod worked.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've never read Concerned and I'm not going to do so on my own but I'll follow along if it's posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 27: Scars

So, this chapter is gonna have one of the big reveals, spelling out almost in full detail what's going on with Candace. I'm assuming nobody cares enough about AJ to have read ahead, but if anyone has cared enough to have some theories about what is going on, it would be fun to hear them before it's explained.