Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nachos posted:

I need the line goes up guy to make another 2 hour video on this terra luna thing. It is all so dumb but I am not smart enough to truly appreciate how dumb it is.

I made two coins

One is called Dollarcoins and I write underneath it that it's worth $1

The other is called Bezoscoins and underneath it I write that it's worth $100,000

I create 20,000,000 Bezoscoins and say that since one Bezoscoin is worth $100,000 I have $2 trillion in assets backing up Dollarcoins. If anyone ever wants to cash out their dollarcoins, they can do that for $1 each, which I can easily afford thanks to my $2 trillion in assets.

Because I have $2 trillion in assets backing up Dollarcoins, that means I have 2 trillion dollarcoins. I begin to convince people of the value of Bezoscoins because I have two trillion dollarcoins to back up their value. I begin to sell them my Bezoscoins and my Dollarcoins.

Everything starts running smoothly. People begin to buy and sell Bezoscoins. Much to my surprise I earn a couple million IRL dollars in the process, rad!

Then someone who has been buying and selling and trading a lot of these things accumulates 500 million dollarcoins and they withdraw them all at once. Well poo poo, I only have a couple million dollars. So I start a mass sell-off of Bezoscoins to earn money to pay off the Dollarcoins. This makes the bezoscoins price start dropping, and a lot of ""investors"" see their assets tank so they freak out and start dumping all their bezoscoins and dollarcoins too. But now the Bezoscoins are worthless and I can't sell them to pay the people withdrawing their dollars from the dollarcoins!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
good explanations in this thread, but now I think I am happier not understanding the exact details of how dumb this all is

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dabir posted:

"Scuze me sir, I think I can 'elp you here. I actually have an NFT of my own what I've been keeping aside for a rainy day."

"Really? Well come on, let's see it."

*thud*

"'Ere we are, sir."

"Baldrick. This is a turnip."

"That's right sir, it is a turnip. It's a Nice Fat Turnip."

"It's covered in mud, and this side is starting to rot."

"It's s'posed to do that. Adds flavour."

"Baldrick, you do understand the idea is to sell our NFTs. Not to eat them."

"Don't you worry about that sir. There's a big market for turnips."

"Really?"

"There is sir. My auntie Baldrick is always telling me about the turnips she gets sold, sir."

"I see. This would be your aunt who thinks she owns Tower Bridge, am I right?"

"That's the one sir."

"When in actual fact she purchased a crude drawing of Tower Bridge, painted, and I feel I should emphasise this point, in dung."

"I didn't know you'd met her, sir."

"Well, who do you think sold her the painting?"

"Oh."

"So, putting your lunatic relatives aside for the moment, who, exactly, do you imagine would want to buy this Nice Fat Turnip?"

"Well I would sir, only I ain't got any money."
This deserves more love, and I read every line in their respective voices.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oops, I left out the part where anyone who wants to sell their Bezoscoins back to me can, but I will pay them in Dollarcoins, which is fair because Dollarcoins have a guaranteed value of $1 due to the value of the bezoscoins backing them up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

it's an ouroboros of fraud

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Terra just dropped below 0.4 lmao

What's the opposite of 'to the moon?'

Koburn fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 11, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Koburn posted:

Depends on the position relative to Earth.

What are the odds of Luna's dead hitting the other stable coins hard as well?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

good explanations in this thread, but now I think I am happier not understanding the exact details of how dumb this all is

Congratulations, you have ascended.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oops, I left out the part where anyone who wants to sell their Bezoscoins back to me can, but I will pay them in Dollarcoins, which is fair because Dollarcoins have a guaranteed value of $1 due to the value of the bezoscoins backing them up.

When's the part where you get "hacked" and mysteriously vanish?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
someone is pulling in some big favors, this is a valiant fight

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

buy the dip!

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The Terra Luna subreddit is pretty dark. National Suicide Hotline pinned to the top, as you'd expect.

On the one hand a lot of people in crypto are just loving greedy to insane degrees. On the other hand, there are muppets who really ought to be protected from themselves who really are putting their life savings in to these things, and have no other experience of stock markets, or the concept of "number go down". In crypto, as has been discovered recently, number can go down very, very fast. Having said that those people are insanely greedy too, so *shrug*. I am really struggling to sympathise with these people, particularly because they switch their brains off completely while the number is going up.

People seem to be blaming all of this on an "attack" (it's always an attack), with the likely culprit being Citadel. Citadel, if you recall, were apparently responsible for GameStop stock being shorted so much. Citadel is also responsible for any traffic you encounter on the road, and it steals kids lunch money as well.

One highly amusing thing I did find on my travels this morning is the guy behind Terra Luna mocking someone who described the exact attack that has apparently happened:

https://twitter.com/stablekwon/status/1464897977793728514

lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Durzel posted:

People seem to be blaming all of this on an "attack" (it's always an attack), with the likely culprit being Citadel. Citadel, if you recall, were apparently responsible for GameStop stock being shorted so much. Citadel is also responsible for any traffic you encounter on the road, and it steals kids lunch money as well.

Citadel, George Soros and the Deep State are responsible for the noisy cats that woke me up fighting outside last night

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
im not going to read the subreddit, just a window with the ticker open enjoying watching the red candles

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Koburn posted:

gently caress these people, they don’t deserve pity.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dabir posted:

"Scuze me sir, I think I can 'elp you here. I actually have an NFT of my own what I've been keeping aside for a rainy day."

"Really? Well come on, let's see it."

*thud*

"'Ere we are, sir."

"Baldrick. This is a turnip."

"That's right sir, it is a turnip. It's a Nice Fat Turnip."

"It's covered in mud, and this side is starting to rot."

"It's s'posed to do that. Adds flavour."

"Baldrick, you do understand the idea is to sell our NFTs. Not to eat them."

"Don't you worry about that sir. There's a big market for turnips."

"Really?"

"There is sir. My auntie Baldrick is always telling me about the turnips she gets sold, sir."

"I see. This would be your aunt who thinks she owns Tower Bridge, am I right?"

"That's the one sir."

"When in actual fact she purchased a crude drawing of Tower Bridge, painted, and I feel I should emphasise this point, in dung."

"I didn't know you'd met her, sir."

"Well, who do you think sold her the painting?"

"Oh."

"So, putting your lunatic relatives aside for the moment, who, exactly, do you imagine would want to buy this Nice Fat Turnip?"

"Well I would sir, only I ain't got any money."

Come for the Crypto drama, stay for the extra 2 minutes of quality Blackadder content all for free!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Koburn posted:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Koburn posted:

it hit exactly 0.3 overnight before sharply bouncing back to 0.4-0.5

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1524346182482472962?t=fzfv5yLU6LmioAJQ_T--ag&s=19

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Wait, is this why they're called "bull markets" and "bear markets"?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Nah, bulls charge; bears hibernate.

I say confidently for no reason

quote:

The commonly held belief about the origin of these terms suggests that the use of "bull" and "bear" to describe markets comes from the way the animals attack their opponents. A bull thrusts its horns up into the air, while a bear swipes its paws downward.

lol sure whatever

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 11, 2022

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
More like Don't Kwon

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

I wish this could be a thread title

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Crime on a Dime posted:

LUNA put up a fight but will be dead very soon. gn

BUY THE DIP

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Durzel posted:

The Terra Luna subreddit is pretty dark. National Suicide Hotline pinned to the top, as you'd expect.

holy poo poo, walk into a subreddit like hey guys what's going on in...here...
:yikes:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo, walk into a subreddit like hey guys what's going on in...here...
:yikes:

and now youve done that here

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

also loving big lol about this guy
https://twitter.com/durzel/status/1524353597873532929?s=20&t=nfsdG2kVrubDniC4WMCuKQ

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Market contagion from the death of Luna starting to really hit now, everything is crashing at the moment. Quite the show.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What happens if the coin backing the stable coin is also worth $1

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
The monthly CPI measure also just dropped and it shows 8.3% year over year for April. You see the hedge against inflation, Bitcoin, doesn't like inflation at all.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Seriously, global value of all crypto is down 8 percent in the last 10 minutes and 13% in the last couple hours. There’s a run on Tether, which is probably going to take down Bitcoin. Could be a flash crash, or Bitcoin could be dead by sundown.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
https://saylortracker.com/ Saylor is in the red too, finally

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Bitcoin will never die the world is too dumb

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Crypto might actually be dying after all.

Some of those numbers.. :stare:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Xenophanes posted:

Seriously, global value of all crypto is down 8 percent in the last 10 minutes and 13% in the last couple hours. There’s a run on Tether, which is probably going to take down Bitcoin. Could be a flash crash, or Bitcoin could be dead by sundown.

:dance:

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Xenophanes posted:

inshallah

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Durzel posted:

Crypto might actually be dying after all.

Some of those numbers.. :stare:

Its a reflection of global markets. As the squeeze starts in the financial sector in what looks like the possibility of a global recession, industry takes its money out of high risk assets and moves it to low risk assets. So all the various companies that have ploughed money into crypto are pulling their money out.
Global markets will eventually recover, they always do with enough time. If those same industries then return their investments to crypto will decide if it dies or not, and sadly we won't know for some time, maybe even a few years. I personally think they won't.

The 'in thing' to invest in when you are flash with cash changes every few years. A few years ago it was 'AI' so every company with an algorithm was renaming it as 'AI-driven' to attract that money. Today its 'blockchain!' . By the time the markets recover it will likely be a new fad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nexous posted:

Bitcoin will never die the world is too dumb

It will be impossible to kill, but maybe it can be broken to the point that it never regains the kind of influence it has had. There will always be idiots who think they can beat the scam, but "Crypto was all a scam and everyone who put money in it lost everything" being the public view of it will keep it down.