Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also wait, if all the surviving Draenei got genocided on Draenor, how did some of them end up on Azeroth later? :v: Man, I'm going to get an F in "Warcraft Lore," I'm so bad at following all this clear and concise information.

Key word: "tried."

What Blizzard ultimately went with is that the elements of the Horde that stayed behind on Draenor while Blackhand took the Blackrock Clan through the Dark Portal were actively engaged in attempting to exterminate the rest of Draenor's resident races - the draenei, the ogres, the arrakoa, the gronn, and so on and so forth. They didn't do a very good job of it, though, and the Burning Legion didn't give them much help because they regarded Azeroth as the primary theater of this war.

UPDATE NEAR BOTTOM OF PREVIOUS PAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Christ, that is a lot of layers of successive "but the real bad guy is" that I never knew existed.

I like a good cosmic fantasy so I can see how some of those ideas can be written into a cool story but I can just smell how it exists just to justify why there's another expansion's worth of war to fight after you beat the previous final boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenebrais posted:

Christ, that is a lot of layers of successive "but the real bad guy is" that I never knew existed.

I like a good cosmic fantasy so I can see how some of those ideas can be written into a cool story but I can just smell how it exists just to justify why there's another expansion's worth of war to fight after you beat the previous final boss.

If it helps, everything past Kil'Jaeden was the invention of one single WoW expansion.

Up until Shadowlands, the Dreadlords were indeed explicitly just another race of demons, playing to the 'evil darkness and shadow' part of the demon spectrum rather than hellfire and brimstone.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

But I find it really easy to follow?? The one responsible for the war is the Blizzard writers who keep adding a new culprit on every expansion.

Like, obviously there can't be anyone behind them!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Blizzard actually making old GW look competent at writing worlds.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The crazy guy who wrote all the lore for Morrowind in like a week makes more sense than all the Warcraft lore.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cythereal posted:

Key word: "tried."

What Blizzard ultimately went with is that the elements of the Horde that stayed behind on Draenor while Blackhand took the Blackrock Clan through the Dark Portal were actively engaged in attempting to exterminate the rest of Draenor's resident races - the draenei, the ogres, the arrakoa, the gronn, and so on and so forth. They didn't do a very good job of it, though, and the Burning Legion didn't give them much help because they regarded Azeroth as the primary theater of this war.

UPDATE NEAR BOTTOM OF PREVIOUS PAGE

Tried is difficult when the outside is getting direct help from the "Light" which canonically in warcraft terms can grant the ability to just mass loving rez people, repeatedly by injecting hot liquid energy into their veins or something. Actually there are so many dang ways to escape death in Warcraft verse I am never surprised when someone comes back around If nothing else the time dragons from either camp of time dragons can just yeet someone into the timeline as needed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AtomikKrab posted:

Tried is difficult when the outside is getting direct help from the "Light" which canonically in warcraft terms can grant the ability to just mass loving rez people, repeatedly by injecting hot liquid energy into their veins or something. Actually there are so many dang ways to escape death in Warcraft verse I am never surprised when someone comes back around If nothing else the time dragons from either camp of time dragons can just yeet someone into the timeline as needed.

One clarification: the time dragons can't interfere with anything going on on other planets. They can only impact events on Azeroth itself.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cythereal posted:

If it helps, everything past Kil'Jaeden was the invention of one single WoW expansion.

Up until Shadowlands, the Dreadlords were indeed explicitly just another race of demons, playing to the 'evil darkness and shadow' part of the demon spectrum rather than hellfire and brimstone.

Weren’t the Dreadlords retconned in the same “lore update” preceding the Draenei becoming a playable race? I’ll let you get to that retcon yourself when you feel like dropping it in, but I seem to remember this was one of the first times Metzen had to go “yeah, my bad” when some Warcraft community lore dudes called him out on a retcon caused plot hole.

And :psyduck: you weren’t kidding about the amount of layers this goes down. I never read any of the lore for the most recent expansions (so nothing past maybe the beginning of Battle for Azeroth? I know Shadowlands, and now Dragonflight exist, but nothing really concerning the lore surrounding them) as I had pretty much given up on following the lore at that point, so these layers upon layers added in Shadowlands is new to me.

It seems that whenever Blizzard wants to make anything seem more “cosmic” in Warcraft to add yet another overarching big bad with which to further raise the stakes, they go about it in the most ham handed way possible, and of course crib from other popular fiction with a slight coat of paint and a name change to get away with it (see, most of the Old Ones).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

Weren’t the Dreadlords retconned in the same “lore update” preceding the Draenei becoming a playable race? I’ll let you get to that retcon yourself when you feel like dropping it in, but I seem to remember this was one of the first times Metzen had to go “yeah, my bad” when some Warcraft community lore dudes called him out on a retcon caused plot hole.

That moment involved a retcon involving the Dreadlords, and is from The Burning Crusade, WoW's first expansion. Making them beings from the afterlife sent to infiltrate and sabotage the other powers of the cosmos to engineer events for the benefit of the Jailer is from Shadowlands.

The next lore update is... probably going to be less :psyduck: inducing, and probably much shorter in general, because much less has been written about human history in Warcraft. No joke, there's about a thousand years of history with humans that's almost completely blank, which is one reason I felt relatively comfortable introducing the character of Isidora and giving her background some details never present in the actual games or books.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3QJ8Pgjj3c

This here is basically Gul'dan's backstory.
These videos, usually 5 of them every expansion since MoP, are some of the best poo poo blizzard's ever put out.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Tichondrius is the leader of the Dreadlords, not Mal'Ganis.

Unless Shadowlands did another weird retcon, which I would not put past Blizzard. I liked it better when Dreadlords were just smart and competent figures in the Burning Legion not the super ultra masterminds who answered to someone who answers to someone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Tichondrius is the leader of the Dreadlords, not Mal'Ganis.

Unless Shadowlands did another weird retcon, which I would not put past Blizzard. I liked it better when Dreadlords were just smart and competent figures in the Burning Legion not the super ultra masterminds who answered to someone who answers to someone.

Shadowlands does posit that Mal'Ganis is the real leader of the Dreadlords, yes, or at least the one who directly answered to Denathrius.

If you want to put more thought into this than Blizzard did, you could say something like Tichondrius was the head Dreadlord representative to the Burning Legion while Mal'Ganis talked to their real boss, or Mal'Ganis was promoted and Tichondrius kicked down the hierarchy at some point between WC3 and Shadowlands, but nothing like that was ever stated. Just that Mal'Ganis is the head Dreadlord in that expansion.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

...did they really have to bring back Mal'ganis? He died in WC3 and it was a perfectly good death with some solid narrative weight.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cythereal posted:

Shadowlands does posit that Mal'Ganis is the real leader of the Dreadlords, yes, or at least the one who directly answered to Denathrius.

If you want to put more thought into this than Blizzard did, you could say something like Tichondrius was the head Dreadlord representative to the Burning Legion while Mal'Ganis talked to their real boss, or Mal'Ganis was promoted and Tichondrius kicked down the hierarchy at some point between WC3 and Shadowlands, but nothing like that was ever stated. Just that Mal'Ganis is the head Dreadlord in that expansion.
Tichondrius is the Dreadlord Ambassador, while Mal'Ganis is the inconspicuous cultural attaché that works at the embassy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tenebrais posted:

...did they really have to bring back Mal'ganis? He died in WC3 and it was a perfectly good death with some solid narrative weight.

They did this really early on in WoW's story, in the second expansion. And then they kept bringing him back. But this all ties into beings belonging to the six major cosmic forces (light, fel, death, shadow, order, life*) being immortal in the sense that they will always revive themselves, unless they get killed on their home plane.

*It's a bit more complicated for major life aligned beings.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Tenebrais posted:

Mal'Ganis has been brought back so many times over the course of WoW.

Cythereal posted:

Here Corrupts the Noble Savage

Eventually, the draenei made it to the planet they would name Draenor, about 200 years prior to the events of Warcraft. Yes, none of the native civilizations ever apparently named the planet, go with it. The draenei settled on Draenor in lands not currently claimed by the orcs, ogres, or arrakoa, and for a time existed in an uneasy peace with the orcs, broken by occasional skirmishes.

Cyth, buddy, we live in a planet called Dirt. We don't get to complain about other races naming their worlds.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WoW's been running for 18 years, at this point they've strip mined every anicillary character of every scrap of the RTS game to fill up content

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rarity posted:

WoW's been running for 18 years, at this point they've strip mined every anicillary character of every scrap of the RTS game to fill up content

This is very true. And it doesn't stop with dead characters. Especially since a surprisingly larger number of those who "died" in WC3 didn't actually die. And even those that were unambiguously dead could still play important roles as flashback characters, or be impactful to the personal stories of others long after their death.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Torrannor posted:

This is very true. And it doesn't stop with dead characters. Especially since a surprisingly larger number of those who "died" in WC3 didn't actually die. And even those that were unambiguously dead could still play important roles as flashback characters, or be impactful to the personal stories of others long after their death.

I mean, Malganis was unambiguously dead after Arthas sliced his soul out with a cursed sword to circumvent his whole constantly reincarnating thing.

Now that I think on it, I think he was the only enemy hero to acknowledge reviving at temples in all of wc3's plot.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rarity posted:

"did you know that the peon in the first orc mission of Warcraft 1 has a very deep backstory?"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Okay, but... but... Sargeras? When I finally checked out on WOW's changes to the lore, roughly around when the Naaru were introduced, Sargeras was still the big bad behind so much. Or at least I hadn't heard otherwise. How is he not even in that list of successive "true villains behind this other true villain" at any stage...?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

disposablewords posted:

Okay, but... but... Sargeras? When I finally checked out on WOW's changes to the lore, roughly around when the Naaru were introduced, Sargeras was still the big bad behind so much. Or at least I hadn't heard otherwise. How is he not even in that list of successive "true villains behind this other true villain" at any stage...?

Need to save him for the final expansion

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Oh, and for future reference, the Horde of this period is known as the Old Horde. Here, for easy reference with the other Hordes from throughout Warcraft.

The Horde
The Old Horde
The Dark Horde
The Mongrel Horde
The True Horde
The Fel Horde
The Iron Horde
The Fel Iron Horde

One of these never made it past the concept art stage and wasn't actually in a game. See if you can guess which!

On the one hand, "lmao", on the other hand, this seems perfectly regular when looking at political parties splitting and merging.

The giant chain of manipulations, however, is absolutely disgusting, complete inability to imagine, and I'm also guessing a complete inability to plan ahead.

PurpleXVI posted:

"did you know that the peon in the first orc mission of Warcraft 1 has a very deep backstory?"

Oh no, when did I land in the Star Wars EU again? Somebody help me!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

disposablewords posted:

The Burning Legion is a lore update on the outline. I'll get to it in due time. Other lore topics on the docket for the Warcraft 1 phase of the LP, if it gives people an idea of what to expect:

Human history
The Titans
General Cosmology
The Burning Legion
The Void
Ogres
Medivh and company
Magic 101
LGBT representation

There's going to be lots more gameplay updates than that, so probably in five or six more updates I intend to open the floor for people to request lore posts. :)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cythereal posted:

The Burning Legion is a lore update on the outline.

Entirely fair. I'm just really confused how he's completely absent from this chain of Real True Villains when he was being dangled over everyone's heads since the manual of WC2. God, loving Warcraft lore...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Semi-serious question: are these dudes the Protoss?

I ask because they have backwards legs and are wise and awesome

Cythereal posted:

Confused? I made a chart.

:allears:

I remember on the old Masters of the Universe TV show we learned the Horde and Skeletor were both working for a nebulous head bad guy. I think Blizzard got the idea from there and never updated it

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

(if there are defensive structures in this game I haven't seen them yet)

There are not. Those came with Warcraft 2. Here...everything is units.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

disposablewords posted:

Entirely fair. I'm just really confused how he's completely absent from this chain of Real True Villains when he was being dangled over everyone's heads since the manual of WC2. God, loving Warcraft lore...

He could have been on that chain as Kil'Jaeden's boss, but I felt putting the Legion on there twice with just their internal chain of command was redundant and I elected to keep KJ the Legion's representative.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Semi-serious question: are these dudes the Protoss?

I ask because they have backwards legs and are wise and awesome

Blizzard loves to joke about this - and they have a very similar bronze-with-floating-crystals aesthetic - but thematically you'd be better served by jumping fandoms and calling them the Craftworld Eldar or the Post-Human Republic or some such.

I'll make a more detailed lore post about them in the future, but probably not in Warcraft 1.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard loves to joke about this - and they have a very similar bronze-with-floating-crystals aesthetic - but thematically you'd be better served by jumping fandoms and calling them the Craftworld Eldar or the Post-Human Republic or some such.

I'll make a more detailed lore post about them in the future, but probably not in Warcraft 1.

Yes, this. I guess you could draw some parallels between the dark templar and the Aiur protoss on one side, and the Draenei and the Eredar on the other side, but it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny. Craftworld Eldar is definitely a better comparison. I'm really looking forward to that lore post, but it's probably like more than half a year away.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: There is actually a very minor difference between Orc Spearmen and Human Archers: Orc Spearmen do very slightly more damage, while Human Archers have 1 more unit of range.

And yeah, no static defense structures here.

Also, one last note: Not everyone drank Mannoroth's blood. One whole particular clan who will become important later weaseled their way out of drinking and survived (though it didn't do their popularity any favors), and Doomhammer himself was able to avoid drinking it and avoiding punishment by playing to Blackhand's ego.

The reason this clan and Doomhammer knew to avoid it was because Ner'zhul was still alive after being deposed, held prisoner and used as a decorative figurehead with no power and making fewer and fewer public appearances. But he was able to sneak out a warning to Doomhammer and that one clan I mentioned. The Shadow Council never found out.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I remember on the old Masters of the Universe TV show we learned the Horde and Skeletor were both working for a nebulous head bad guy. I think Blizzard got the idea from there and never updated it

Seems more like parallel development to me, arising out of laziness. Building a bigger Bad Guy is an easy way to escalate the plot, and having the new villain be the old ones boss/manager/whatever is a similarly low effort way to integrate them into the plot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MShadowy posted:

Seems more like parallel development to me, arising out of laziness. Building a bigger Bad Guy is an easy way to escalate the plot, and having the new villain be the old ones boss/manager/whatever is a similarly low effort way to integrate them into the plot.

Personally, if I had to guess?

The Jailer and just about everything to do with the afterlife comes from the Shadowlands expansion, the first WoW expansion that Chris Metzen had absolutely zero involvement with. Chris Metzen's status as creative lead was succeeded by a man named Steve Danuser, and anyone who recognizes the joke in this thread's title has probably guessed that I have a very low opinion of Danuser as a writer.

There's been a lot of changes, retcons, and recontextualizations to lore and characters in WoW following Danuser's ascent to the position, and I ascribe most of them to Danuser trying to put his own stamp on Warcraft now that Metzen is retired from Blizzard.

Sargeras was definitely the overwhelming big villain of Warcraft under Chris Metzen's tenure, but Steve Danuser has different ideas. In particular Danuser has shown himself to be a fan of obscuring information from players and readers by presenting lore from the perspective of what are acknowledged to be unreliable narrators, and by making characters in-setting astonishingly incurious about their world and events that are happening. Danuser seems to be a storyteller partial to the "You'll never guess what happens next!" vein, at least he aspires to be so - he's been known to insist that players have no idea what's going to happen when in fact players overwhelmingly guessed exactly what would happen. And when players are wrong about things Danuser is hinting at, it tends to be because of poo poo coming out of left field that either were not hinted at or just flatly contradict how certain characters or lore notions had been established.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
On all the humans being white Europeans, I was going to comment that I thought there was a dark skinned unit with a Jamaican accent but then I remembered that they were non-humans and the Chinese stand-in was a talking panda with a Japanese accent and this is definitely not getting better in retrospect.

I mostly remember blazing through the campaign, marveling at the giant shoulder pads and being confused at all the backstory and plot of WC3 before playing tons of Footman Frenzy, so looking forward to getting even more confused!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Torrannor posted:

isn't it fair to say that WC3 started the process of "no, this dead character isn't dead after all" seeing as Medivh somehow never died, despite his death being one of the few canon events from the Human campaign

Aces High fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 11, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's really no excuse, I get why small time developer Blizz wouldn't bother but they grew immensely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aces High posted:

isn't it fair to say that WC3 started the process of "no, this dead character isn't dead after all" seeing as Medivh somehow never died, despite his death being one of the few canon events from the Human campaign

I mean, technically, the retconning started with WC2. Seeing as overall, the Horde campaign was the canon ending to WC1, but certain parts of the human campaign, like the killing of Medivh were also canon. And yes, they did retcon that thing you mentioned for WC3, and then WoW further retconned it to make it make more sense, in that he really was killed, but his mother spent the very last bit of her power as the former Guardian of Tirisfal to revive him between WC1 and WC3.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I hate everything post-WC1 about Medivh.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
all i remember about medivh is his book, because people kept talking about it

i was a tiny babby when i played WC2 and 3, and i was into City of Heroes/Villains instead of WoW so this thread has been uh, enlightening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Minor Lore Bit: Warcraft and Physical Disabilities

Someone asked me on discord about the OC I wrote for the human campaign, and specifically that I wrote her as physically disabled, and was curious about how Warcraft has represented physically disabled characters, so I thought this thread might find it of interest.

Warcraft does recognize people with physical disabilities. Healing magic in Warcraft is as vaguely defined as it is in most fantasy settings, but it doesn't seem to be capable of restoring complex injuries. People in Warcraft do suffer crippling injuries, and people do become physically disabled from old age. With one exception, though, such things have never been depicted beyond people prone in beds or sitting in chairs rather than standing.

At least by the time of WoW's third expansion, Azeroth has wheelchairs.

This is the only known appearance of one that I could find - Drek'Thar, an orc character I probably won't have reason to discuss again until Warcraft 3.

As for the human OC, I came up with the idea that while she'd died in the canon timeline, it was getting hit by a carriage or some other seeming accident that prevented her from meeting that fate in this alternative timeline. Beyond that, I liked the idea of her being a strategist and planner more than a front-line fighter, and I thought it felt plausible that injuries sustained by the alteration in the timeline had lasting effects. From there, the notion that she's mobile enough to still operate in the field from a center of command but not fight on the front line herself felt like a natural evolution of the character.

In an earlier draft of introducing the alternate timeline of the human campaign, keeping the fact that the end of the human campaign has the PC succeed King Llane as ruler of Stormwind as a surprise until it happens late in the camapign, I outright introduced her as Lady Isidora the Lame, on the basis that her disability would plausibly be her best known attribute to Stormwind society at the start of the game's campaign.