Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

psydude posted:

Did Soviet engineers fail to consider the risks of storing ammo beneath the turret, or did they just not care?

All russian tanks are to some extent based on the T-64, a 60s design, western tanks from the 60s aren't going to have much better ammo storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ukraine actively invading Russia isn't something Ukraine needs to do, would invite sending the Ukrainian army into the same kind of morass that the Russians are now facing, and could lose Ukraine international support.

Will Ukraine bomb and fire upon targets inside Russian borders? Sure. But they won't move troops in or try to hold territory. There's no point. Ukraine doesn't want Russian territory, they want Ukraine.

The only real question there is Crimea, but it will probably be a lot easier for Ukraine to cut it off and isolate it and then just lay seige to a waterless Crimea until it surrenders.

How long will it take to capture Moscow? 2 days
Will Putin be killed? Yes
Total Russian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Russia: 300000 dead
Total military casualties UKR: 15 dead
Will the Russian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the VDV fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Russia launch attacks on the Finns? Yes
Will Putin launch attacks on Poland? No
-If yes; will Poland retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Putin sacrifice Moscow (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Chechens make a grab for independence? Yes
Will China do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Putin burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will Ukraine be occupying Russia? ~15 years
Will the Russian war catalyze increased terrorism in Europe?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian waiting in a bread line at the market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a TB-2 strike on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering krokodil to the Moscow bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

psydude posted:

Did Soviet engineers fail to consider the risks of storing ammo beneath the turret, or did they just not care?

The T-64, T-80, and T-72 are relatively tiny, with not much place to put ammo. There was a realization during that general era of design that no amount of armor could stop modern anti-tank weapons. It gets hit, it's hosed anyway. Use terrain to hide the hull, use the FCS to fire as quickly as possible, use mobility to bug the gently caress out.

No, it's not an ideal design at all. The risks of keeping ammo, especially seperate ammo, in the hull were well understood going back to the period between WW1 and WW2. But, like, what else can you do? Ammo lockers like the Abrams has require space. Bustle-mounted storage needs space, a large turret ring, and complicates the autoloader. External ammo storage makes the vehicle very tall, exposes ammo to everthing, and requires the crew exit the vehicle to move spare ammo into the magazine(s).

Every design decision on a tank is a compromise betweem mobility, armor, and firepower. Physics is a bitch with all three considerations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

psydude posted:

It was kinda less of a danger when those tanks were designed and the big threat to a tank was another tank. The autoloader lets them use one less crewmember per tank which means 1/4 again more tanks crewed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1524334912496676864

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ukraine actively invading Russia isn't something Ukraine needs to do, would invite sending the Ukrainian army into the same kind of morass that the Russians are now facing, and could lose Ukraine international support.

Will Ukraine bomb and fire upon targets inside Russian borders? Sure. But they won't move troops in or try to hold territory. There's no point. Ukraine doesn't want Russian territory, they want Ukraine.

The only real question there is Crimea, but it will probably be a lot easier for Ukraine to cut it off and isolate it and then just lay seige to a waterless Crimea until it surrenders.

I agree with this, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of conducting a rapid air mobile raid if they discover an under protected high value target near the border. That assumes the Ukrainians are capable of such an operation.

Slashrat posted:

Was that supposed air raid by Ukrainian Hinds on the oil depot within Russia a few weeks ago ever confirmed to be what actually happened?
The Ukrainians denied it but blamed the attack on a breakaway republic that doesn't exist, as a joke. The Russians blamed it on the Ukrainians. 'Senior Defense Official' said "yeah, probably."

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 11, 2022

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Was that supposed air raid by Ukrainian Hinds on the oil depot within Russia a few weeks ago ever confirmed to be what actually happened?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

psydude posted:

The big takeaway from WWII tank vs. tank engagements was that whichever tank managed to first score a hit on the other tended to win. Combined with the advent of anti-tank weaponry, the thinking was to keep the tank small and hard to hit, while making it shoot fast.

It's somewhat similar to the different schools of thought between the British Royal Navy and German High Seas Fleet in WWI. The British favoured lots of big guns and speed, thinking they would out-maneuver and out-gun their opponents. The Germans on the other hand traded some speed and guns for better survivability.

Neither won decisively, but the Royal Navy took double the losses.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Slashrat posted:

Like 10 different angles of footage of two helicopters flying in and launching rockets at the oil depot turned up within hours of the attack so I don't think there's been much doubt (nor any alternative credibly put forth). There's also footage of them leaving flying about as low as i've ever seen a helicopter fly.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crew are actually rather expensive for tanks because people take up a good bit of space (even if they're restricted to being under 5'10 like in many Russian vehicles) and we don't exactly fold up all that well. So each crew member requires more room in the vehicle (especially a loader since they tend to be standing instead of sitting and have to move around to get ammo), more armor to protect that space, and more systems to support them, resulting in a vehicle that is bigger and heavier.

Back when the main targeting system for any anti-tank weapon, be it rocket, missile, or gun was the Mk I eyeball, a smaller vehicle was harder to spot and harder to hit, but in modern times with advanced targeting systems, smarter computers and sensors, and so on being smaller doesn't really help all that much anymore, so being more survivable becomes more important, which is why you see things like the ammo bustles on many NATO tanks that are designed to vent out if struck. These don't make it impossible to use an auto-loader, by the way.

Prior to blow-out panels one of the main ways to keep ammo 'safe' was to store it in containers that were surrounded by water or a similar liquid in an attempt to smother and sparks or fires before bad things happened. This of course isn't something that you can easily make work with an ammo carousel or other means of auto-loading/revolver systems.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 11, 2022

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

And almost all these old soviet designs were meant to used in a furious one-week war against NATO in the hopes of winning before the nukes started flying. It made sense for the time, but that time was a little over half a century ago.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If you cut your tank crew down from 4 people to 3, you can operate 33% more tanks for the same personnel/training costs, too

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The big takeaway from WWII tank vs. tank engagements was that whichever tank managed to first score a hit on the other tended to win. Combined with the advent of anti-tank weaponry, the thinking was to keep the tank small and hard to hit, while making it shoot fast.

It's somewhat similar to the different schools of thought between the British Royal Navy and German High Seas Fleet in WWI. The British favoured lots of big guns and speed, thinking they would out-maneuver and out-gun their opponents. The Germans on the other hand traded some speed and guns for better survivability.

Neither won decisively, but the Royal Navy took double the losses.

Judging by the results from Gulf War I and II, the American approach to tank design clearly won.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you cut your tank crew down from 4 people to 3, you can operate 33% more tanks for the same personnel/training costs, too

Yeah but you’re short one person per tank for field maintenance and repairs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

golden bubble posted:

And almost all these old soviet designs were meant to used in a furious one-week war against NATO in the hopes of winning before the nukes started flying. It made sense for the time, but that time was a little over half a century ago.

They're also from a time where it was generally viewed that HEAT weapons were going to be better than any amount of armor you could put on a tank so it wasn't even worth bothering with, which was more or less true when armor was just RHA. This is also why you saw experiments like the silica armor to try and improve the resistance against shaped charge weapons, though IIRC those never saw active service.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Does all the new explosive reactive armor, and that Chobham armor actually work on modern tanks, then?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
The actually high end of modern tanks are legitimately hard to knock out, yes. Even the Russian tanks. Ukraine originally desperately needed the top-attack missiles specifically because nothing else was reliably effective against t90s (which seems likely given the ratios of destroyed russian tanks).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Does all the new explosive reactive armor, and that Chobham armor actually work on modern tanks, then?

It makes tanks harder to kill from those directions protected by such additions, absolutely. But it was never really ideal to blast a tank from the front with an RPG, either.

One consequence of the improved equivalent armor is that the penetration of a HEAT round is physically constrained by the diameter of the warhead. Thus the systems in the classic 84mm diameter class (AT4, Carl Gustav, SMAW, etc) have plateaued in effectiveness. This is where launchers with the warhead diameter not constrained by the launch tube, like the Panzerfaust 3, or larger tube-contained systems like the 100+mm RPG-27 or -30 come in. Alternatively, top attack profile weapons like Javelin or NLAW, which avoid the thickly armored parts of the tank. Which by all accounts appear to be spectacularly effective.

And of course when on one hand you have ERA, on the other you have tandem warheads built to defeat it.

In short, its a land of contrasts and the race between armor and weapon continues.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 11, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1524385330652188673?s=20&t=lmmenKsz2d9HeIQuJcKB1w

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3I6gFmlls

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1524399801617592322

"IDK just drive everything in???"

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 11, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The river is too deep to ford. You lose:

2 washing machines
307 rounds of APFSDS
2 Louis Vuitton handbags
3 sets of lingerie
459 pairs of shoes
Ivan (drowned)
Oleg (drowned)
Alexei (drowned)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More images of the aftermath of that battle.

https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1524406832890064901

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Thats not the remnants of a pontoon bridge?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Good ole pile'o'tonks (turrets not included)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If we send all of the tanks across the bridge at once, they won't be able to kill ALL of us.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Seems like an effective way to target continued support from certain elements of the American political right.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

The pontoons probably washed down river. The tanks weren't so lucky.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I mean, its ALSO the remnants of a pontoon bridge. One that seems to have been in use when it stopped being an active duty pontoon bridge and started being diversified into pontoon bridge debris.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

There's a better picture where you can see the other side showing the bridge remains

https://twitter.com/poliitikasse/status/1524402114407059456?s=20&t=e9DiDEp6uYdeEGMaRiS5Zg

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A river crossing under enemy fire is probably one of the most complex combined arms operations you can undertake. So I'm unsurprised that the Russians failed spectacularly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't see craters.

I suspect every munition hit a target directly. No misses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I don't see craters.

I suspect every munition hit a target directly. No misses.

Its been said a couple times Ukraine has access to loitering and laser guided munitions, so suspect a juicy target like this would be a "Do not miss" opportunity to use one.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I don't think I double counted any separated turrets that returned to the ground, and I'm at ~29 AFV's lost in the three pics in that tweet. Even given Russian performance in the war, that is really spectacular, isn't it?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
How are they so bad at this? all these Zapads they get up to. every Battlegroup exercise I've done the Battlegroup would always hammer us with unaposed and apossed crossings. Crossings are so complex but we'd never bunch up like that or be allowed to, also your tracked and wheeled crossings shouldn't be that close either, I just don't get it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Arrath posted:

I don't think I double counted any separated turrets that returned to the ground, and I'm at ~29 AFV's lost in the three pics in that tweet. Even given Russian performance in the war, that is really spectacular, isn't it?

How many AFVs in a BTG?

TCD fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 11, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Russians quite literally have colonels and possibly even generals screaming at privates to set up a bridge HERE and drive THOSE tanks across the bridge to occupy THIS grid point. The level of micromanaging and indifference to troop risk results in what we're seeing here.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

TCD posted:

How many AFVs in a BTG?

The Washington Post had an article a while ago that included a graphic about what a BTG might look like (at full strength, which current Russian BTGs may not be):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/

BTGs don't necessarily have exactly the same equipment in each BTG, though.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 11, 2022

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The Washington Post had an article a while ago that included a graphic about what a BTG might look like (at full strength, which current Russian BTGs may not be):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/

BTGs don't necessarily have exactly the same equipment in each BTG, though.

Thanks for this, been finding it hard to track down a good example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

psydude posted:

If we send all of the tanks across the bridge at once, they won't be able to kill ALL of us.

keep driving in tanks until you have a bridge of tanks