Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Cross-over material is not my thing, but I've mostly been able to ignore it.

But isn't MH3 LoTR themed? Am I going to have to worry about a Bilbo Baggins dashing into me every other match?

nah that would be ridiculous.

Obviously it's Tom Bombadil who'll be the chase mythic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The One Ring {2}

Artifact - Equipment
Equip(2)
Equipped creature gets +15/+15 and gains Trample.
Whenever ~ is equipped to a creature, target opponent creates 9 3/3 Black Knight tokens with First Strike

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

feel like phasing should be a part of it somehow

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Shadow baby. Bring it back.

edit: lol I just remembered they printed Voidwalker less than a year ago

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

The One Ring {2}

Artifact - Equipment
Equip(2)
Equipped creature gets +15/+15 and gains Trample.
Whenever ~ is equipped to a creature, target opponent creates 9 3/3 Black Knight tokens with First Strike

I've imagined it as equipment too, since that seems most obvious/least creative. It'd be cool if it was more abstracted, though.

Without statting it out fully, thinking something like "equipped creature's power is doubled and gains menace" but the equip cost is paid in life and scalable based on the creature's power, and any player could activate the ability. That's probably unworkable, just trying to marry theme with mechanics.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 11, 2022

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity
Not personally a fan of these crossover sets, how long before we get Magic: The Gathering - The Simpsons? But anyway …

The One Ring {2}

Artifact - Equipment
Equip(2)
Equipped creature is unblockable and gets +3 / +3

At the end of your turn, put a -1 / -1 counter on equipped creature.

If Equipped creature is legendary it gets:
WUBRG, T: gain control of target unequipped ring of power or equipped ring of power and equipped creatures.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If I had to pick effects I'd say unblockable and rig up some drawback where when things go wrong the opponent can gain control of the creature somehow.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The one ring {1}
Indestructible.
Equipped creature gets +5/+5 and has shadow and is a ringbearer in addition to its other types.

While an opponent is choosing targets as part of casting a spell they control or activating an ability they control, that player must choose at least one Ringbearer on the battlefield if able.

When the one ring leaves the battlefield, you lose the game.
Equip 3

E: Fires of mt doom 2{R}{B}
Choose one or both
-fired of mt doom deals five damage to target creature or Planeswalker, if a creature or Planeswalker delt damage thus way would die this turn, exile it instead
-Exile target artifact.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 11, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I also want to add "creatures your opponents control are Provoked" but modern philosophy would be good

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The One Ring has the problem that, like Yawgmoth, you want the power level to be extremely high but don't want the mana cost to make it unplayable. Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is a fantastic card because she's supposed to be incredibly powerful and she is, but some legendary characters have become rather unimpressive cards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Chamale posted:

The One Ring has the problem that, like Yawgmoth, you want the power level to be extremely high but don't want the mana cost to make it unplayable. Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is a fantastic card because she's supposed to be incredibly powerful and she is, but some legendary characters have become rather unimpressive cards.

See: every Street Fighter card. We’re only ever going to get one Guile card and the one we got is a steaming pile.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fadam posted:

See: every Street Fighter card. We’re only ever going to get one Guile card and the one we got is a steaming pile.

I thought you meant this:

Then I discovered that this exists:

Might be fun to troll a Legacy event with a deck full of these crossover cards.

Edit: Seems they're not legal in Legacy yet, but will be soon. "I'll play Golf Sucks Now And Has Always Sucked", and I'll tap it to cast Hadoken targeting you."

Also, these minimalist Secret Lair checklands are gorgeous, holy poo poo.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 11, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Make the one Ring an Enchantment and if the creature dies it is attached to a creature owned by the person who killed the creature it was originally attached to.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
giving the equipped creature Shadow would be a homerun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when equipped creature becomes the target of a spell or effect, it phases out

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Captain Invictus posted:

this is a bit of an obscure request, but does anyone remember the ancient Inquest issue with the story of the inquest editors playing a game of magic using every single card ever made in each deck and have scans of it

I used to have a ton of inquest issues but lost them, might have been recycled decades ago, but I keep occasionally remembering that story and then forgetting it again before I remember to ask about someone maybe posting scans of it, since it was a funny article

Wasn't this the game that was ended by a camel?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unironically bring back Shadow. I still got a White/Black Shadow deck lying around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1524121585229082624?t=fhjzLRIUB0aRopiE-AqwtA&s=19

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

TMG playing MTG?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

big cummers ONLY posted:

TMG playing MTG?

I'd say about 10%-20% of his tweets are MTG related. He plays Standard Ranked and builds his own decks.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unironically bring back Shadow. I still got a White/Black Shadow deck lying around.

The way they've throwing around unblockable in the past few years as well as the reintroduction of phasing makes me think that Shadow is never coming back, which is unfortunate because I loving love that mechanic narrow as it is.

How would you template a creature to use phasing as quasi Shadow? "when this creature attacks, it phases out. while phased out it can only be blocked by creatures with phasing. It phases in after blockers are declared" or something like that?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
There was literally a card with shadow printed last year.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dysgenesis posted:

Wasn't this the game that was ended by a camel?

Yep. A Camel that was in his opening hand along with six lands that produced every color of mana except white. Presumably he kept that hand because it was better than taking a mulligan and having to reshuffle his whole deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The way they've throwing around unblockable in the past few years as well as the reintroduction of phasing makes me think that Shadow is never coming back, which is unfortunate because I loving love that mechanic narrow as it is.

How would you template a creature to use phasing as quasi Shadow? "when this creature attacks, it phases out. while phased out it can only be blocked by creatures with phasing. It phases in after blockers are declared" or something like that?

Why would you do this? Maybe in an un-set it could happen but at that point you don't have to word anything since un-cards don't really work, you just pretend they do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

don't the mountain goats have a song about mtg

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'd probably just give it shadow, or horsemanship. Rather than do this, which i think doesnt even work without changing the rules of phasing iirc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

take three tablets posted:

Yes. But make it a part of a set. Bring back the Dauthi/Thalakos/Soltari.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

don't the mountain goats have a song about mtg

He wrote a song for Twitter about getting to Mythic where he shouts out some absolutely insane cards that were in his deck, but I can't find it right now. He has an album called In League with Dragons which is apparently inspired by fantasy role playing games, and the last four lines of The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton are a reference to people who play Thoughtseize decks.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

take three tablets posted:

I don't play Modern, so I had no idea.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Adorable. Darnielle is a huge fan and regularly tweets out diddy's about the game. Honestly surprised they haven't done a vanity card to him yet, or worked with him on a set's release or something.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

Adorable. Darnielle is a huge fan and regularly tweets out diddy's about the game. Honestly surprised they haven't done a vanity card to him yet, or worked with him on a set's release or something.

WotC streamed his album launch, but I guess that was more DnD adjacent.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes. But make it a part of a set. Bring back the Dauthi/Thalakos/Soltari.

They did, they're just normal humans and merfolk on Dominaria now. The Kor probably died or something, because they haven't shown up in any Dominaria-focused sets since Time Spiral, and Exodus before that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

He wrote a song for Twitter about getting to Mythic where he shouts out some absolutely insane cards that were in his deck, but I can't find it right now. He has an album called In League with Dragons which is apparently inspired by fantasy role playing games, and the last four lines of The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton are a reference to people who play Thoughtseize decks.

i got u fam

https://mobile.twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1288942192392888324?lang=en

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't play Modern, so I had no idea.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't imagine Winota is around in Pioneer for any period of time now that she's gone in fake Pioneer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I can't imagine Winota is around in Pioneer for any period of time now that she's gone in fake Pioneer.

quote:

One of Explorer's primary goals is fidelity to the Pioneer experience, so we intend to maintain this ban for only as long as it proves necessary. When additional cards are introduced to the format, they will naturally change Winota's relative standing. As such, we currently plan to unban Winota and reevaluate her position shortly after the release of Dominaria United this fall.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hell yes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh right I remember listening to In League with Dragons but this owns lmao

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I dont really know who the mountain goats are but im glad we now have two albums about magic in existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status/1524451476193480704?s=20&t=cJvtJ3shBpBEIOmd3fn28A

WOTC unmasked yet again.