Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
You should be allowed pets measured by a maximum weight of, say, 50 kilos of pet per household. So in any one property, you could potentially have 1 large dog, 10 medium-sized cats, or 25,000 cockroaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Deketh posted:

I've mentioned either a cat or small dog to them. It's a regular bungalow really, nothing about it that makes it unsuitable for pets. On a quiet cul de sac, loads of my neighbours have pets. I've made my case in an email to them, initially they just said "no pets as per clause" but the clause doesn't actually say no pets, it says consent may not be unreasonably withheld. So I've made that point, among others. Like Bobby D said, I'm sure they'll come up with some petty reason and it'll be a back and forth of them just saying no in different ways and, as intended, I'll be powerless to actually force their hand.

hmmm, so you're not protected.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My previous experience with landlords has taught me to not even contest when they say no, because if you push it and make them notice you as more than a + on their bank statement, they'll 'decide to look for other tenants' with a section 21.

The inverse of this of course is that if you're up for the battle, it's always morally correct to make your landlord's life hell. Get a pregnant mother cat. Fit catflaps to all the doors. Put a big sign up in your front garden saying 'give me more cats.'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

You should be allowed pets measured by a maximum weight of, say, 50 kilos of pet per household. So in any one property, you could potentially have 1 large dog, 10 medium-sized cats, or 25,000 cockroaches.

That just gives landlords an easy way to stop tenants owning pets and to raise the rent for exceeding the limits.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

"The cockroaches were there before you moved in, so you can't have a dog. Also I'm putting up the rent because you have pets."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You can actually have as many outdoor cats as you like, because you can simply say they don't live there, and you'd be right.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
-get a pet that could eat a landlord

-indoctrinate it in the teachings of mao

-wait for inspection with revolutionary zeal

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
They said no again. Reason being a previous property got trashed by a tenant's dog. Is that reasonable? No, cos it wasn't me that did it. I even had an inspection this week and the place was spotless, so they know the kind of tenant I am. I hate being so powerless about things like this. Would be a great help to my mental health to have a little buddy around. Extract money, insert misery.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My previous experience with landlords has taught me to not even contest when they say no, because if you push it and make them notice you as more than a + on their bank statement, they'll 'decide to look for other tenants' with a section 21.

The inverse of this of course is that if you're up for the battle, it's always morally correct to make your landlord's life hell. Get a pregnant mother cat. Fit catflaps to all the doors. Put a big sign up in your front garden saying 'give me more cats.'

Yeah, I considered this before making a fuss. I was pretty pissed off though so I did it anyway, I'll leave it alone now though.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Interestingly, you are legally allowed under the Provision of Allotment act 1950 to keep Chickens and Rabbits, no matter what your tenancy agreement says.

But while Section 21 still exists, the landlord can use that. If that goes (Which the queens speech suggested it will) then fill your garden with the little cluckers.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

Interestingly, you are legally allowed under the Provision of Allotment act 1950 to keep Chickens and Rabbits, no matter what your tenancy agreement says.

But while Section 21 still exists, the landlord can use that. If that goes (Which the queens speech suggested it will) then fill your garden with the little cluckers.

I've always wanted some little chickens to listen to as they cluck about :3:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Mr Justice Tugendhat? Is his first name actually Justice?

A while back we had Lord Chief Justice Judge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

A while back we had Lord Chief Justice Judge.

Igor Judge is a pretty good name all round tbh.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Deketh posted:

They said no again. Reason being a previous property got trashed by a tenant's dog. Is that reasonable? No, cos it wasn't me that did it. I even had an inspection this week and the place was spotless, so they know the kind of tenant I am. I hate being so powerless about things like this. Would be a great help to my mental health to have a little buddy around. Extract money, insert misery.

Yeah, I considered this before making a fuss. I was pretty pissed off though so I did it anyway, I'll leave it alone now though.

https://www.otssolicitors.co.uk/news/renting-property-to-tenants-with-pets/

some solicitors posted:

If a landlord doesn’t want to rent out their property to a tenant with pets, then they have to object in writing within twenty-eight days of a written pet request from a tenant. The landlord has to provide a good reason for their objection to a pet.

A landlord would have a good reason to object to a pet if, for example, the property is in a block of flats and the management company does not allow pets. The fact that a landlord does not like dogs or has had a bad experience with a deposit dispute in the past because of the previous damage caused by a pet would not be classed as good reason as that would be prejudging the new tenant and their pet.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1524403747878752258

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Right but a) that only applies if you didn't sign "I don't have pets and won't get any" as part of your contract, and b), as I've experienced with ethnic discrimination, it's basically impossible to prove that the landlord didn't let to you on the basis of something prohibited as opposed to just because they didn't like you (and they can refuse to let to you for being mouthy or w/e else they'd like).

They might not be able to evict you for it, but they can still get around that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 11, 2022

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Thanks for this. I believe they are in the wrong in their decision, but I also know they won't accept that. How far do I take it? They will say it's a good reason and I don't have the resources to get someone in authority to tell them otherwise. As long as the wording is open to interpretation, they will continue to take the interpretation that they prefer until they can be forced otherwise

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think there is a need for lee anderson and yet here he is.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Deketh posted:

I've mentioned either a cat or small dog to them. It's a regular bungalow really, nothing about it that makes it unsuitable for pets.

When I rented and wanted a cat, I asked my landlord directly.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I hate this, I hate him, and this infuriates me beyond belief.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was going to joke that there were probably bronze age patriarchs going on about "there are generations who have forgotten how to forage and wild hunt, all they do is expect their equal dole of beer and leavened bread for bringing in the einkorn and rye harvest", but there was that lib dem lady suggesting that the urban poor forage in berry bushes like 5 years ago so actually gently caress all of them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ The Sandman issue Men of Good Fortune covers 600 years of Dream meeting the same man in the same pub once a century, has people talking about the same things over and over including about how people on the dole all eat better food and drink better booze. Nothing ever changes.

Jeherrin posted:

Then I recommend not reading his clarification.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 11, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jeherrin posted:

so much for the tolerant left!!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tugendhat is a synonym for knobhead

Oct 4, 2005

So the Government claims there is no need for food banks.
Its just that they are not preparing school leavers for the real world. Failing to teach them how to budget, cook, or even feed themselves.

Its an interesting defense.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Deketh posted:

As long as the wording is open to interpretation, they will continue to take the interpretation that they prefer until they can be forced otherwise
That's the issue really. You can stand up for your rights as a tenant if you have the mental health and money to drag the fight through the courts. But it will be a fight, and because of this broken country, if you make too much fuss the landlord can just give you 2 months notice and section 21 you out of there, and you have no recourse to legal aid.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

1965917 posted:

Its just that they are not preparing school leavers for the real world. Failing to teach them how to budget, cook, or even feed themselves.

That's not part of the academic rigour we need in our students.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Former Labour Councillor, this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tsietisin posted:

But while Section 21 still exists, the landlord can use that. If that goes (Which the queens speech suggested it will)
Eh what? What's the catch with this, that'd be two things (off the top of my head) that the Tories have done to benefit renters :confused:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Former Labour Councillor, this.

His Wikipedia page reads like an absolute parody, like what you'd get if you trained an AI on the Collected Tweets Of The Conservative Party and then had it write the thing. It's insane.

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Jeherrin posted:

His Wikipedia page reads like an absolute parody, like what you'd get if you trained an AI on the Collected Tweets Of The Conservative Party and then had it write the thing. It's insane.

some abit......... yeh

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

1965917 posted:

Yeah, but the last labour government.

Wait - poo poo, we can’t possibly use that this time?

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

cyril sneeeer posted:

some abit......... yeh

you will always feeel this bit bad. Eyeeballls deep in mudddy water.

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
I have trieded t os show how I can suppport whatever r the gently caress it was is explained as

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Completely normal article published on the State broadcaster's website.

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/1524382576089219074?t=t9iEULYEmNkIJKDkX9MG8w&s=19

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
I Have e to accept altho8gh i am swimming in deathe U hope I find a course of the 1999 quicker than now

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DesperateDan posted:

-get a pet that could eat a landlord

-indoctrinate it in the teachings of mao

-wait for inspection with revolutionary zeal

Get a dog, call it Gramsci, teach it to attack rich people

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely Diogenes would be a better name and also a compliment to Diogenes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Tories should really be thanking their lucky stars that there are food banks because without them British society would probably collapse in about two weeks

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

TACD posted:

Eh what? What's the catch with this, that'd be two things (off the top of my head) that the Tories have done to benefit renters :confused:

Could be there’s a catch in the legislation and it’s designed to accompany some other measure to allow easier evictions, could be the government is foreseeing mass exercise of s21 orders for some reason and is worried about unrest and civil disorder, could be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

cyril sneeeer posted:

I Have e to accept altho8gh i am swimming in deathe U hope I find a course of the 1999 quicker than now
Wrong thread my guy, also please get help.