Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So did CR never use design documents for his older games or did he just forget how to make them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/8JC2175.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

BLAAAARRRT

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What is "Habs", is that Citizen Speak for "lovely apartment"?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Viscous Soda posted:

'Space_pants'
Brother...?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Why play Death Stranding when you can make ends meet as a delivery guy in SC.
Oh my, this backer invented... a fetch quest. Never done before!

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 11, 2022

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Holy loving poo poo. They're excitedly proposing Gig Economy simulator 2942, and it somehow manages to be even sadder than even the most German simulators on the market today.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lammasu posted:

So did CR never use design documents for his older games or did he just forget how to make them?

what is design

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

no_recall posted:

what is design

what is games

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's funny that even in their dreams SC is boring and bland.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

The arm-wave mocap technology of the 90s
wasn't good enough to capture his design documents.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
You wake up in your tiny expensive wankpod on the hell planet ArcCorp, your head bleary from the fifth of cheap space whiskey that got you through the previous day. Space elon musk demands rent, the company owns you, they own your wankpod and the very clothes you are wearing.

You make plans to sell blood and plasma in between working 5 seperate gig jobs, you can hopefully make enough this week to cover food and rent, you spend a bit of rent on space crypto.

Maybe one of the glorious space whales will come through looking for crew, competition will be fierce but you've been practising mixing drinks every night.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is just another great example where what was actually deliveres is definitely not the final product. It's just the tier 0 version, and what's coming is totally going to meet this persons expectations and dreams.

CIGs biggest problem they'll ever have to face is telling people that what they get is what they got, and that's all it will ever be. It's not tier 0, that's the final version. Hope you like it.

Cig being rescued by this concept that everything is tier 0 is trash and some day I hope that social shield evaporates for them.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Abongination posted:

You wake up in your tiny expensive wankpod on the hell planet ArcCorp, your head bleary from the fifth of cheap space whiskey that got you through the previous day. Space elon musk demands rent, the company owns you, they own your wankpod and the very clothes you are wearing.

You make plans to sell blood and plasma in between working 5 seperate gig jobs, you can hopefully make enough this week to cover food and rent, you spend a bit of rent on space crypto.

Maybe one of the glorious space whales will come through looking for crew, competition will be fierce but you've been practising mixing drinks every night.

Mmm yes. The tasty space whale dream. :)

Where everyone who is not a backer is able to play the game but be entirely crippled and at the whim of the powerful who sunk money into it while it was in eternal alpha.

Naturally most of these people will be goons and the refund subreddit, so backers will feel obliged to spit on them as they saunter by, only choosing the best who they deem worthy to elevate out of the annals of being wrong about the game.

These people will be the pitiful pool of slave labor, the losers and disbelievers, all there as fodder as they scratch at the doorway of the blessed Uber backers and their powerful fleets. They will be the crew and staff while the powerful and monitoring them from the locked and guarded bridge of their enormous carrier/battle cruiser. If there are bathroom shenanigans happening that they weren't invited to... they will blow all the air out of the ship and kill them all and tut tut at them when they are able to respawn days later.

Or maybe that backer will vent just enough air to cripple them, and then keep them as torture pets because they cannot log out, and their punishment timer only clicks when they are online.

Mmm yes. So powerful. So strong, those super backers. Just waiting for their moment to stick it to all those disbelievers once the game kicks off and is the most amazing thing ever created by human kind.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

That's just wrong, Chris has promised the backers that the quanta simulation will simulate a thousand npcs for every player and they will act as a counterbalance to player activity. That way CIG can ensure that the players will never be able to affect the game world in any way. Even backers with 50k+ pledged will be powerless against the quanta.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
The least interesting future: Star Citizen.

It's not a Star Trek-like post-scarcity world, nor a universe with strong contrasts between the haves and have-nots driving resentment of the border-worlds or underclasses against the ruling central elite, nor a cyberpunk kleptocratic corporate oligarchy where company alliegence has replaced nationalism...

It's just "today 20 minutes into the future".

Has interstellar travel changed anything? Not really. Has the discovery of alien sentience changed how mankind view their position in the universe? Not really. Has the ability to cheat death and effectively resurrect the mind of the dead changed society? Not really.

Hot dogs, coffee and energy drinks; machine guns, tanks and pistols; low-level service jobs with cash registers...

It's just so impossibly boring. At least the deranged backers's fantasies of what the game can become have a vision. A disgusting, uninviting and flawed vision, but still, the Stimpire is more interesting than Star Citizen.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Sandweed posted:

That's just wrong, Chris has promised the backers that the quanta simulation will simulate a thousand npcs for every player and they will act as a counterbalance to player activity. That way CIG can ensure that the players will never be able to affect the game world in any way. Even backers with 50k+ pledged will be powerless against the quanta.

Also, you won't be able to tell who is a player and who is a NPC, unless you use a Voight-Kampff test kit.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Shazback posted:

the Stimpire is more interesting than Star Citizen.

This makes me so happy.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Also, you won't be able to tell who is a player and who is a NPC, unless you use a Voight-Kampff test kit.

And they are achieving this by making it more and more dangerous to act anything unlike an NPC. Running? Die of heart-attack. Running in stairs? Die of fall damage. Take the elevator? Die of fall damage. Fly a space ship? It explodes on you for no reason and gives you a crime stat you then die of fall damage.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sandweed posted:

And they are achieving this by making it more and more dangerous to act anything unlike an NPC. Running? Die of heart-attack. Running in stairs? Die of fall damage. Take the elevator? Die of fall damage. Fly a space ship? It explodes on you for no reason and gives you a crime stat you then die of fall damage.

They should give you some reward for standing motionless on a chair

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

no_recall posted:

what is design

A miserable pile of promises and tech debt

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They’re still going all in on the solitary river lol.

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1524374666688843782

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mr. Peepers posted:

New thread title is :discourse:.
I've never been happier.

Abongination posted:

Best drat Space Dystopia Simulator ever!

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

You gotta understand, it's all they have.

I still can't believe you can noclip inside it without even a tiny swimming animation or something, it's hilarious.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

smellmycheese posted:

The water reminds me of Oblivion for some reason

.random
May 7, 2007

Aye, the quanta have much to teach us. They have lived here for millennia and know this place better than any of us ever will.

“T-posing,” we call it. A “bug” we once thought it. But in reality, an ancient ritual to “ward off the evil spirits.” Sounds quaint, I know. But have you noticed how quanta never die by falling through the floor, whereas we lose dozens - even hundreds - of citizens a day that way? Turns out the sentient ground which is constantly trying to consume its prey can’t “see” its victims if they stand just so.

What else do they have to teach us, these “NPCs,” if that’s what they truly are? What other “silly rituals” do we laugh at without truly understanding? How many lives would be saved if we were just a little more like the quanta?

I only hope we survive long enough to find out.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Drakkel posted:

What is "Habs", is that Citizen Speak for "lovely apartment"?

Yes except it's about the size of an outhouse.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SC used to have the swim animation firing in random places, but can you actually swim in the river?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

lobsterminator posted:

SC used to have the swim animation firing in random places, but can you actually swim in the river?

https://v.redd.it/lxc8lcr912r81/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback

Depends on your definition of swimming.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NumptyScrub posted:

A miserable pile of promises and tech debt

was this 50% castlevania quote intentional?
(i love this quote and sometimes when i drive my car to work it pops up in my mind)

"Richter Belmont: Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I'm once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: "Tribute"?! You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk! Have at you!"

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 11, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I knew exactly how that was going to go, but I still audibly sighed when he walked in.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Bumble He posted:

FUDsters: Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!
:iiasb: : It was not by my hand that I'm once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
FUDsters: "Tribute"?! You steal men's money, and make them your slaves!
:iiasb: : Perhaps the same could be said of all kickstarters.
FUDsters: Your words are as empty as your pre-alpha! Space games ill need a savior such as you!
:iiasb: : What is release? A miserable pile of game loops! But enough talk! Pledge!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

You gotta understand, it's all they have.

I still can't believe you can noclip inside it without even a tiny swimming animation or something, it's hilarious.

I'm glad they used the "cig marketer" angle.

Because here I am in my expensive yacht ship looking at the river and my experience is much less scenic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That Dracula is way too articulate to be the croberts.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also because I love the river so much I named my ship the "GIS Microtech river" to truely enjoy every moment I can have in it.

This is really only day 1 of my multi-year long gameplay experience I'm engaging in with the river. I'm ready for years upon years of non-stop excitement like no other AAA game has ever provided.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 11, 2022

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

trucutru posted:

That Dracula is way too articulate to be the croberts.

You’re right, but I didn’t want to gently caress with the original too much.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

The Titanic posted:

I'm glad they used the "cig marketer" angle.

Because here I am in my expensive yacht ship looking at the river and my experience is much less scenic.

There are better rivers in Minecraft.

Seriously, if we pooled the coders in this thread I think we could use UE5 to crank out a better looking and more feature-complete Star Citizen in 6-12 months. Trying to figure out a way to tap into that infinite pledge money

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cirus posted:

There are better rivers in Minecraft.

Seriously, if we pooled the coders in this thread I think we could use UE5 to crank out a better looking and more feature-complete Star Citizen in 6-12 months. Trying to figure out a way to tap into that infinite pledge money

i have a friend who got into an argument with a SC believer that was basically "CIG has invented a way to have people walking in ships that are moving. literally no other developer could ever have achieved this"
said friend implemented it in ue4 out of spite. in an afternoon

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

You’re right, but I didn’t want to gently caress with the original too much.

let's give it another pass then!!

FUDster: Die, monster croberts! You don't belong in this world!

:iiasb: : It was not by my hand that I'm once again given flesh cash. I was called here by humans neckbeards who wish to pay me tribute.

FUDster: "Neckbeards"?! Those simps adore you and want to suck your wiener!

:iiasb: : Perhaps the same could be said about you too!

FUDster: Your words are as lunatic as the balance of your bank account! Gamedads ill need a savior such as you!

:iiasb: : What is a gamedad? Who are you anyway? Yes, we want to have that in the game, we already have it running on our universe simulation. For the level of fidality we aim for you will need a soundblaster pro. Where is Ben and where is Dennis? Why is Dennis never here when you need him...Dennis!! This guy here is like borked i think he wants...what did you want again?

FUDster: I give up...just...just tell me where i can buy an idris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
You know it's funny, Metro Last Light went through the trouble of doing a 'good enough' fake cloth algorithm too for use in a single scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CxFI1tjTQ&t=82s
So it's not *totally* unheard of, but lol SC.