Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Even Kareem is making comments saying Jerry West was not that insane. It is an entertaining show, though.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar posted:

It’s a shame the way they treat Jerry West, who has openly discussed his struggle with mental health, especially depression. Instead of exploring his issues with compassion as a way to better understand the man, they turn him into a Wile E. Coyote cartoon to be laughed at. He never broke golf clubs, he didn’t throw his trophy through the window. Sure, those actions make dramatic moments, but they reek of facile exploitation of the man rather than exploration of character.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im gonna check out Fargo, never watched it before

the show I mean. I ve seen the move a million times

dude freaking billy bob thornton. sweet. Ive been sad ever since Goliath ended

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 11, 2022

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The first season is great, the second season is amazing . Third season is meh

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I love Fargo. Season 1 was my favorite. They're all worth watching. Looks like season 5 will take place in modern times, and I can't wait.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I fuckin love this show so far. Freakin Bob odenkirk lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The only bad season of Fargo was the last one imho, the first three oscillate between pretty good and great depending on the episode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like Fargo S3 as much as the first two seasons, but it is definitely the most weird one. tonally it's pretty Lynchian imo

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat the cast in this show is insane

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Keyser_Soze posted:

Even Kareem is making comments saying Jerry West was not that insane. It is an entertaining show, though.

Jerry West is a baby.

It's kind of a mid show in the way there is just a hard cap on how good anything Adam Mckay does.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I really enjoyed that program and I generally like all Adam McKay projects and I’m not afraid to admit that here

re:fargo holy poo poo the zombie joke

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 11, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, Adam McKay "only" made a movie that kept people interested in one of the driest, labyrinthian, and least accessible topics imaginable.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

drat the cast in this show is insane

Yeah they got some heavy hitters in every season

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, Adam McKay "only" made a movie that kept people interested in one of the driest, labyrinthian, and least accessible topics imaginable.

I dunno, NASCAR is pretty popular.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

one of the driest, labyrinthian, and least accessible topics imaginable.

cricket?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Mike Myers isn’t funny. His new show is dumb.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh behave!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Capra's Lost Horizon (along with a lot of other classics) is on Tubi, and it deffo holds up. man you gotta love the sheer pomp of those 30s hollywood bangers

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Yeah I guess so. Mid is mid

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Yeah I guess so. Mid is mid

I mean, Step Brothers is one of the few memorable comedies of the last 15 years, so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what you're on about. I suspect that he has some stylistic quirk that really annoys you, but why should anyone else give a poo poo?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Step brothers is mid

Ur mom is mid

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

:mad:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I don’t think that the history of San Diego journalism is that boring tbh but to each their own

Edit: In all seriousness I think I’ve loved every movie I’ve watched about the financial crisis. Margin Call, Killing Them Softly and Big Short are all bangers

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 12, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CelticPredator posted:

Step brothers is mid

:mods:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

Step brothers is mid

Whoa what the duck

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

I mean, Step Brothers is one of the few memorable comedies of the last 15 years, so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what you're on about. I suspect that he has some stylistic quirk that really annoys you, but why should anyone else give a poo poo?

What does this even mean? Like how many is "few"? I haven't done a comparison, but I would not be surprised if I've enjoyed Paul Feig's overall filmography more than McKay's.

Fake Edit: As a director, it's personally no contest. Which is not to say that McKay's a bad filmmaker, but this apparent shock that people wouldn't be that into him feels disingenuous.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

It would help if it tried to have actual jokes, during the first episode it felt like 90% of the script just boiled down to "Mike Myers doingwacky impressions", and that's really not enough to carry a show.

... then again, considering how proud they seemed to be of "kiss your own rear end in a top hat challenge", maybe more jokes wouldn't have helped it either.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I got a chuckle out of the "Half Way Inn" bit.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Nah he's just kinda average. I liked anchorman when I was a kid but can't remember the last thing of his I saw where I wasn't like "eh that was fine I guess".

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

i like Fargo S3 as much as the first two seasons, but it is definitely the most weird one. tonally it's pretty Lynchian imo

That’s the one with Ray Wise right?

So yeah, Lynchian af.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Modern Leper posted:

What does this even mean? Like how many is "few"? I haven't done a comparison, but I would not be surprised if I've enjoyed Paul Feig's overall filmography more than McKay's.

Fake Edit: As a director, it's personally no contest. Which is not to say that McKay's a bad filmmaker, but this apparent shock that people wouldn't be that into him feels disingenuous.

Paul Feig is also on the upper tier of current comedy directors, so if everyone suddenly started saying he was "meh" I would be confused.

Who is currently directing better comedies than McKay and Feig? I really want to know.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That’s the one with Ray Wise right?

A little off-topic, but I knew an actress who worked with Ray Wise on a small project and said he was an absolute gem who was obsessed with getting back to his hotel and soaking in the hot tub (solo) after every day's shoot.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The scene in Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie makes more sense now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

made it to season 2 of Fargo. wait, aliens? lmao

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Guess there was a string of sightings in that area back then.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It also (end of season spoilers) has a very functional purpose in the story by acting as a red-herring for Danson's universal language, beyond its larger thematic significance.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah, it really took me out of it. I’ve only watched the first 2 seasons so far, and there were things I really liked about both and things I just found baffling.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I understand why people aren't keen on Russiam Doll S2 but Natasha Lyonne chainsmoking and doing her schtick as she bumbles through time is like, the perfect show to me, even though I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. It's a weird feeling.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah, it fuckin' rules.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Wolfsheim posted:

I understand why people aren't keen on Russiam Doll S2 but Natasha Lyonne chainsmoking and doing her schtick as she bumbles through time is like, the perfect show to me, even though I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. It's a weird feeling.

It's a really tough transition going from the super tight storytelling and character crafting of the first season to the schtick in search of a story that is season 2. Definitely thought the show improved in the back half once baby Nadia hit the schene, providing some actual character motivation and meaningful symbolism.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Perestroika posted:

... then again, considering how proud they seemed to be of "kiss your own rear end in a top hat challenge", maybe more jokes wouldn't have helped it either.

Yeah this was just painful to watch. So immature.

BisterdDave posted:

I got a chuckle out of the "Half Way Inn" bit.

Yeah this was actually a bit funny but still could have used better timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I will say that The Penteverate has one of the best attention getting “hover preview” segments I’ve seen.