Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
The fact that Fia's ending doesn't have a bunch of rad skeletons doing sick poses behind you as the narrator speaks is really a failure of the games industry as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

Frenzy ending hints at some Serious Lore at least.

I like the Frenzy ending for its absolute gently caress this attitude. Do you know what, after all I've been through, how about I just burn this mutha down!?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
wish i could get that sick nomad instrument (sitar?) and jam out

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Another thing that makes the endings not land at all is the fact that it just dumps you back out on the world and nothing changes.

Maybe it's unfair to expect it to, and it's just a mechanical contrivance at the end of the day because people get to the end and want to explore more stuff afterwards. If they didn't let you do it, it'd be worse. At the same time the fact that no one gives even the slightest poo poo that you're Elden Lord means the post game portion felt real empty right away to me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Disco Pope posted:

Guys, these games are all about cycles which means the endings should have you cranking a sweet hog on the highway.

Dark Souls guy: "let's ride this road one more time"
Frampt: "you said it buddy"
*credits roll*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3sMjm9Eloo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I got the dark lord ending on my first blind playthrough without ever meeting kaathe or knowing he existed lol

Oooh poo poo, you know, I totally forgot that all you need to do to trigger the dark lord ending is walk away, lol. For some reason I thought you also needed to interact with kaathr first

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Flytrap posted:

Is golden boy even going to exist by the end? The problem is that he's tangled into the roots of the Erdtree and we uh

We sorta solve that problem in a way.

I actually didn't think about this before and you're right lmao going back in time is going to be the only way we fight Godwyn at this rate

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
DS1: The Dark Lord ending is great because you walk down the stairs like a badass to epic music while all the eldritch monsters bow before you, and unlike the Fire ending you know what’s going on.
DS2: It’s lackluster but it is at least thematically on purpose. DS2’s whole story is about pointlessness and how nothing you do matters and choice is meaningless, hence why the Herald literally tells you during the cutscene “Whether you link the fire or squelch is so unimportant we won’t even let you see which one.”
DS3: Lame, it’s either a retread of 1’s Fire ending or the Dark Lord ending only without the cool music, stair walk, or knowing what’s going on.
Bloodborne: They’re all good. All have thematic relevance, make sense, and are fun to watch.
Elden Ring: Ranni and CHAOS are great. Make sense, good scenes. The chair endings suck. Don’t know what’s going on and are literally different colors like mass effect. And nothing cool happens.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gologle posted:

I actually didn't think about this before and you're right lmao going back in time is going to be the only way we fight Godwyn at this rate

Godwyn is sprouting everywhere at the time of the game. you can't burn him out, he's like Kudzu. catman can't eat his sprouts fast enough.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

galagazombie posted:

DS1: The Dark Lord ending is great because you walk down the stairs like a badass to epic music while all the eldritch monsters bow before you, and unlike the Fire ending you know what’s going on.
DS2: It’s lackluster but it is at least thematically on purpose. DS2’s whole story is about pointlessness and how nothing you do matters and choice is meaningless, hence why the Herald literally tells you during the cutscene “Whether you link the fire or squelch is so unimportant we won’t even let you see which one.”
DS3: Lame, it’s either a retread of 1’s Fire ending or the Dark Lord ending only without the cool music, stair walk, or knowing what’s going on.
Bloodborne: They’re all good. All have thematic relevance, make sense, and are fun to watch.
Elden Ring: Ranni and CHAOS are great. Make sense, good scenes. The chair endings suck. Don’t know what’s going on and are literally different colors like mass effect. And nothing cool happens.

DS3's true ending is fighting your mirror at the end of time after he rekindles the dark soul to metatextually create Elden Ring, which was pretty cool

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

All this Souls talk makes me want to replay them, but then I remember there's no real jumping.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it’s actually shocking how much I miss my jumpy boy

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

dodgeblan posted:

I know miyazaki hates closure for some reason but they should have done the ocarina of time style of ending where we check in on the few surviving NPCs and they wave and dance. Turtle pope dancing with a skeleton was the objectively correct cutscene for fia's ending

Miyazaki also loves poison areas so his judgement is questionable at best.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dark Souls 1 had some absolutely brass ones to put Ash Lake into the game the way it did because Fromsoft was still an obscure developer back then before DS1 catapulted them to stardom.

These days no matter how well they hide an area in a release like Elden Ring it will get discovered within 24 hours and they can design the world accordingly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

again, i think that's a faulty perspective. souls 1 put the ash lake in the way it did because that's what miyazaki likes. elden ring put an identical backdoor into deathroot because that's what miyazaki likes. "well now it's safe to do that thing now that lots of people play it" doesn't even enter into it. that's not how they design these games.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

NG+ is in such a weird state for me.
I cruised through the first three major boss fights (Godrick, Radahn, Rennala) and made it to Atlus Plateau in 1/25th the time from my first playthrough.
Went down to Nokstella and the Twin Gargoyles, which I defeated my first try, were especially harder this time through.

Then I took the time to do the full quests for Millicent and Patches; so next up I think I'm going to do the whole of Volcano Manor invasions before defeating the basement boss because I did him too early last time.
Game is still great and I'm just barely under 200hrs so far.

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 11, 2022

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Cowcaster posted:

again, i think that's a faulty perspective. souls 1 put the ash lake in the way it did because that's what miyazaki likes. elden ring put an identical backdoor into deathroot because that's what miyazaki likes. "well now it's safe to do that thing now that lots of people play it" doesn't even enter into it. that's not how they design these games.

yeah sapho is saying that getting that past the money guys when you're 2011 miyazaki who doesn't have the pull of 2022 miyazaki is a pretty amazing achievement. And it is.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Vagabong posted:

It kinda feels like we're missing half a quest with D. If you don't hand him the death knife he just hangs out in the hold all game, not really doing much, and I have no clue what his twin is doing naked in Siofra, but he just rocks up naked, or who that corpse is that he talks to in the first encounter.

My issue with this quest was that it never occurred to me that he was the one that should receive the knife, since he's like 20 feet away. Checking the roundtable hold for the original owner didn't cross my mind, I figured I had to go out into the world, so I hung onto that thing forever. I know that's on me and not the game, it just seemed so trivial after the fact that all you do is go into the next room, like if there was a quest to pass someone the salt and pepper at dinner.

genericnick posted:

All this Souls talk makes me want to replay them, but then I remember there's no real jumping.

I tried playing DS3 the other week and it feels so primitive, it just wasn't enjoyable without the movement in the later games. I remember liking DS3 a lot when I first beat it but now it just feels terrible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flytrap posted:

Apparently this was discovered a month ago but somebody found out the enemy scaling for the game.

https://twitter.com/king_bore_haha/status/1514493723647766529

Apparently the catacombs in Radahn's area are scaled to 16, the same level as *Faram Azula*.

7x-8x multipliers on everything, when Dark Souls 1 capped out at 2x at the absolute highest

when i say Elden Ring's vertical scaling is hosed up and too expansive, this is what i'm talking about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dark souls 1 was not particularly well balanced especially endgame which you could sleepwalk through

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

higher scaling makes it more likely that huge parts of the game will turn into a snoozefest, not less, unless the player simply isn't capable of keeping up (and that's not a good outcome either)

the difference is that highly variable math favors grinding and not actually learning anything (at least until you hit a brick wall) while tight math favors self-improvement

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 11, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

7x-8x multipliers on everything, when Dark Souls 1 capped out at 2x at the absolute highest

when i say Elden Ring's vertical scaling is hosed up and too expansive, this is what i'm talking about

I wonder how that looks in NG+?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dodgeblan posted:

yeah sapho is saying that getting that past the money guys when you're 2011 miyazaki who doesn't have the pull of 2022 miyazaki is a pretty amazing achievement. And it is.

that's the thing though, i don't think miyazaki had any "money guys" paying attention to what the heck he was doing in 2011. if anything, he's got more design-by-committee pressure now that they've been in the big time for 10 years running (and, for better or worse, elden ring is by far the most "designed-by-committee" soulsgame from's put out for sure)

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

quick someone buff the radahn area + war dead crypt to the same multiplier as malenia it's only fair

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They did our boy the Soldier dirty

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t see how grinding would help grinding doesn’t do very much. Stats just don’t have as much of an impact in a souls game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t see how grinding would help grinding doesn’t do very much. Stats just don’t have as much of an impact in a souls game

that isn't true and is so obviously not true i question my judgment in even replying to you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You can not reply, nothing of value would be lost

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

HoboTech posted:

The fact that Fia's ending doesn't have a bunch of rad skeletons doing sick poses behind you as the narrator speaks is really a failure of the games industry as a whole.

:hmmyes:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nothing of value for me, but some poor sap in the audience might actually believe you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

that's the thing though, i don't think miyazaki had any "money guys" paying attention to what the heck he was doing in 2011. if anything, he's got more design-by-committee pressure now that they've been in the big time for 10 years running (and, for better or worse, elden ring is by far the most "designed-by-committee" soulsgame from's put out for sure)

in a way elden ring is the call of pripyat to dark souls 1's shadow of chernobyl

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

nothing of value for me, but some poor sap in the audience might actually believe you

Can’t quite do it, I figured as much

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

lin a way elden ring is the call of pripyat to dark souls 1's shadow of chernobyl

Patches definitely listens to hardbass

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Leveling up doesn't do anything in Souls games"

Me: *unable to hear the pitiful squeaks of that fool because my giant anime sword is one-shotting everything and there's no way on god's green earth I will ever learn what a "parry" is or "git gud" as defined by people who use the roll button*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Can’t quite do it, I figured as much

Impressive figuring when you can't figure basic math.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Whomst among us has not spent a few hours grinding on Ranni underneath the Moonlight Altar

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Whomst among us has not spent a few hours grinding on Dungeater in his chair

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

see now that's hot

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Cowcaster posted:

in a way elden ring is the call of pripyat to dark souls 1's shadow of chernobyl

I see your baseless assertion and raise you. Dark Souls 1 cost at least 10 million dollars to make, which is well beyond the realm of weird foot obsessed guy being able to make whatever the gently caress he likes. I guarantee you Miyazaki has more artistic freedom now than he did at the time of DS1. This post has been brought to you by me talking poo poo about things I know nothing about.

I agree with your second post tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Plz, stop putting all your blood echoes into strength, you're playing Bloodborne wrong!"

"Haha, crow lady in cathedral not make me use blood vial because bonk"