Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Also how in the heck is it poorly documented lmao it’s the most documented VCS on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I tried to do an interactive rebase in Eclipse with stashing my changes. It seems to have overwritten everything.

Edit:

i am a moron posted:

Also how in the heck is it poorly documented lmao it’s the most documented VCS on the planet
Our local documentation is poo poo, I spent way too long trying to figure out how to add my credentials to the Maven script.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 10, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Maigius posted:

I tried to do an interactive rebase in Eclipse with stashing my changes. It seems to have overwritten everything.

Your local commits should still be there, you should be able to find one from before the rebase and reset to it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

See the very first entry in the link I posted above for an example.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Fool posted:

Your local commits should still be there, you should be able to find one from before the rebase and reset to it.

I'm supposed to be committing locally? The intro to git doc that was created for this process was really unclear about it, but reading it again, I probably should have. I did add it to the index, but I'm probably hosed.
Edit: the previous and only other VCS I've ever used is CVS, which at least had really good local history and easy to use merging.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 10, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That page is missing the most useful command of all
code:
sudo apt-get remove git

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Maigius posted:

I'm supposed to be committing locally? The intro to git doc that was created for this process was really unclear about it, but reading it again, I probably should have. I did add it to the index, but I'm probably hosed.
Edit: the previous and only other VCS I've ever used is CVS, which at least had really good local history and easy to use merging.

You're always committing locally?

Technically a git repo can exist on a single device and never be pushed anywhere. It's only when you add a remote do the commits you've written locally go elsewhere.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That's why I keep everything in a local folder and name the files like so:

Main.py
Main_V2.py
Main_V3.py
Main_FinalVersion.py
Main_FinalV2.py

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Main_V2_Usethisone.py

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Maigius posted:

Did you go into a coma in the mid-late 90s and just wake up?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did you go into a coma in the mid-late 90s and just wake up?

No, but I've only ever worked at this one company, that's used the same VCS since the early 2000s.

In a less owned note, I found where my changes were stashed and am going to commit them locally.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thanks Ants posted:

Main_V2_Usethisone.py

but don't actually use that one, it's broken and I've been working out of the V1 file

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Main.py
Main_V2.py
Main_V3.py
Main_FinalVersion.py
Main_FinalV2.py

You joke, but I inherited a flask app that is exactly this

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hughmoris posted:

Main.py
Main_V2.py
Main_V3.py
Main_FinalVersion.py
Main_FinalV2.py

Amateur hour over here, to not even have a Main_DONOTUSE-FinalV2.new.py.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PremiumSupport posted:

Asking for a discount of any kind is likely to be met with hysterical laughter.

I was told to ask for a volume discount on port switches we need for production. We were ordering 2.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

Main.py
Main_V2.py
Main_V3.py
Main_FinalVersion.py
Main_FinalV2.py

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You're the questionable one, Bob.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

they're php so the questionable part should be implied

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I swear to god, someone on my chime call right now is taking the worst, the most virulent, making GBS threads-concrete-blocks-out-your-rear end dump I've ever heard.

Or at least that what it sounds like from his live mic. Every couple of minutes there's this grunting, straining groan over comms and then silence. Of course it kills the conversation dead for a pause of a second or two while each of the 20-30 people on the call thinks "Is someone going to say something?" but no one does and the conversation resumes.

I now have a purpose for being on this call: detect and mute the phantom groaner.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

I swear to god, someone on my chime call right now is taking the worst, the most virulent, making GBS threads-concrete-blocks-out-your-rear end dump I've ever heard.

Or at least that what it sounds like from his live mic. Every couple of minutes there's this grunting, straining groan over comms and then silence. Of course it kills the conversation dead for a pause of a second or two while each of the 20-30 people on the call thinks "Is someone going to say something?" but no one does and the conversation resumes.

I now have a purpose for being on this call: detect and mute the phantom groaner.

You are doing righteous work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you're saying it's a poo poo that's pissing you off?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Today, I am the thing that's pissing me off. A .json import went wrong and caused 500 user's BYO phones app protection policies to get misapplied. It wasn't detected until I was well off shift, as most of those users are across the globe from me. Got resolved pretty quickly, but not a good look when Teams and Outlook suddenly stop working. Can I get some stories to help me re-enforce "If you've never caused an outage, it means they don't trust you with actual power" I keep repeating to myself?

Post resolution is fine, my boss and my bosses boss have my back and aren't saying my name publicly, just a misconfiguration was made and we fixed it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDIT: Afraid this post would doxx me.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 11, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Takkaryx posted:

Today, I am the thing that's pissing me off. A .json import went wrong and caused 500 user's BYO phones app protection policies to get misapplied. It wasn't detected until I was well off shift, as most of those users are across the globe from me. Got resolved pretty quickly, but not a good look when Teams and Outlook suddenly stop working. Can I get some stories to help me re-enforce "If you've never caused an outage, it means they don't trust you with actual power" I keep repeating to myself?

Post resolution is fine, my boss and my bosses boss have my back and aren't saying my name publicly, just a misconfiguration was made and we fixed it.

If you've never broken something like this, you're not doing work. That's my take on it. No need to be careless about it and you should have a post-mortem and try to find ways to avoid similar issues in the future, but it comes with the territory. If you don't have blameless post-mortems, now might be a good time to start. The alternative of people yelling at people and people fearing for their job just means no one does anything, because the only winning move is not to play, or people making mistakes and going to great lengths to cover it up. Neither is healthy, especially in a field like ours.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

oh man I've broken so many things

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

non-exhaustive list

ad, file servers, dns, phone systems, individual workstations, public facing websites, entire application environments

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dmv office, military front gate scanning systems

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tsa timeclock

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Metro signalling system

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
At one gig we had a desk and chair sitting next to and a little in front of a 42U cabinet, and I was banging on a dev box that had become unresponsive. Being lazy I reached around behind me to press the power switch and as I pressed it in, I realized the power switch felt different than I was expecting. With the button still pressed in with my finger I got out of my chair to look and realized I'd depressed the power switch for our Citrix server that typically had about 200 sessions on it.

On these old Compaq Proliant servers, the power switch had this tiny raised enclosure around it to keep people from bumping the switch and inadvertently shutting it down, so with my finger still holding the button depressed, I searched around for something that I could wedge in to keep the button pressed in because once the button was released the server would power off and make 200 people really mad. I ended up finding a d6 in the coin pocket of my jeans that I was able to wedge/stuff into the switch enclosure to keep the button depressed.

Right as I was feeling satisfied with myself, there was a *ping* and my die popped across the room and the server powered down.

About sixty seconds later my phone started ringing...

I have patched and rebooted the wrong servers in the middle of the day, taking down production web sites,

I have unmounted the wrong database accidently,

I have remotely killed a router by entering bad commands, killing the connection for an office full of people resulting in a stressful four-hour drive to the site,

I have wiped the hard drive of my Director while performing an OS upgrade thinking he had backed up his data (because I told him to!) causing to lose 99% of the documents he had done over the last eight years,

But my favorite was tripping the breaker (vacuum cleaner! :argh: ) for our NOC and no one, not even building facilities, knew where the subpanel was.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I'm taking a mandatory Laser Safety training at work.
I'm a WFH programmer. :v:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I literally affected patient care when I broke patient transfers for a hospital EHR.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

I have remotely killed a router by entering bad commands, killing the connection for an office full of people resulting in a stressful four-hour drive to the site,

Not my fuckup, but this reminds me of one of my favorite stories:

Panicked call from the noc of one of my clients, an entire site is offline and they need me to go look at it.

It's a remote location, about 3 hours drive one way.

I get there, and the entire site is gone. Building was demolished, nothing but rubble.

Spend the next two hours waiting around while the incident gets escalated and passed around until they finally tell me to go home.

8 hours billed at emergency rate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’ve broken not one but two public facing main line of business webapps!

First one was 50 seconds over the outage length where it needed to be reported to the board.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 11, 2022

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The first remote hands call I took on a solo NOC shift I restarted an AD controller because it had a tape drive for backups, not the tape drive server which was at the bottom of the rack. That was a terrible day.

When I was working as a Hostmaster, I accidentally put in an .co instead of .com for the tld and the way the DNS homebrew we ran was written, it dropped out of the cluster but after it pushed the change, so 4 of the 5 servers went offline before I realized it and fixed it.

You're not alone

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

so what did you roll

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I've definitely taken down entire VOIP systems for an office due to a misconfig on the firewall (NAT change in the wrong place).

Have helped a friend who accidentally deleted and entire company's AD structure (in the days where deleting an Exchange mailbox doesn't just take the mailbox!).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Does "I reverted hardware changes to a customer server which caused downtime because they told me to 'revert and come back' as a ticket reply?" count? :v:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I managed to kill 50 DVRs by pushing out a bit of middleware onto machines running Windows XP. The company who wrote it apparently didn't believe in QA. And I was young and dumb enough not to test it on one system. What ever was wrong with their middleware it hosed up the OS to the point where it wouldn't boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My, like, second assignment as a professional programmer blew up a demo that my boss's boss was giving to the client, his boss, and his boss. The error entirely corrupted the data.

It turned out the bug I introduced was the result of bad info from my boss, and I had receipts. But until I figured that out I wanted to die. My entire career up to that point was like two and a half weeks.