Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It can count against you in a civil suit, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Burning_Monk posted:

I'll never get over someone not having an internal monologue. As a deep-seated introvert, most of daily interactions are me arguing with myself in my head.

I love devising amazing counterpoints and sick burns in arguments I never actually have.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Burning_Monk posted:

I'll never get over someone not having an internal monologue. As a deep-seated introvert, most of daily interactions are me arguing with myself in my head.

People can have thoughts and self-interactions that aren't in the form of words or language
People with "no internal monologue" still have brains full of thoughts and ideas and etc etc etc
They just don't necessarily experience those thoughts in the form of an imagined voice talking.

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 22:32 on May 11, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Eh, I'd take a pardon and then just say "I still think I'm innocent but really didn't want to be in jail."

What does an official admission of guilt accomplish if there's no consequences?

I think the issue with Joe was he was then ineligible to run for office as a convicted felon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serperoth posted:

I guess this would be a consequence, but it could count for precedent? Can't say "I've never been convicted" or something if it's a pardon? Dunno, this is the vibe I get

He was already convicted. Think of it in terms of good people that went to jail for doing good things, like a doctor who gave weed to a cancer patient illegally.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

People can have thoughts and self-interactions that aren't in the form of words or language
People with "no internal monologue" still have brains full of thoughts and ideas and etc etc etc
They just don't necessarily experience those thoughts in the form of an imagined voice talking.

While this is exactly correct, I'm still convinced Cernovich is a p-zombie

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

No screen shots because I don't feel like doing that to people I personally know, but so so many people on my Facebook right now are sharing the formula recipes from the 50s and 60s, while managing to leave out that they're short several vital nutrients and vitamins and such, that need to be separately supplemented for. Commenting on them about that, and that while they can make good stopgap measures for the formula shortage, they are not good long term solutions is getting....rather old. Especially since so many of them are also adding "I bet it's healthier than what's out there now!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

I love devising amazing counterpoints and sick burns in arguments I never actually have.

No lie this is literally how I post, and how I think. I find it generally the most helpful way to think about things is to imagine that I am talking to someone else about it. It helps to make my writing more readable and just generally is quite useful for understanding and working through ideas.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Not Mike. Dude exists strictly as a response to stimuli in front of him with no continuity of thought, whether it's words, shapes or abstract concepts.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Especially since so many of them are also adding "I bet it's healthier than what's out there now!"
But why. I mean I guess the answer is just a deeply ingrained glorification of the past mixed with decades of conservative messaging about how the present, future, and progress in all forms is bad, actually. But some people will really just argue that anything old must be better.
"I bet this baby food was healthier before we knew much about health and food!"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vib Rib posted:

But why. I mean I guess the answer is just a deeply ingrained glorification of the past mixed with decades of conservative messaging about how the present, future, and progress in all forms is bad, actually. But some people will really just argue that anything old must be better.
"I bet this baby food was healthier before we knew much about health and food!"

chemicals!
I don't know which are bad, but the moment my salami has nitrates instead of celery salt I know they're bad!

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 23:13 on May 11, 2022

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
That just reminded me of that chick with the conspiracy theory about the ethiopian calendar, literally said something about how it was invented before the gregorian one so "so they knew better than us"

What the hell is this mindset? Do they use lead based makeup in their scheele's green powder room before taking a horse to go post on facebook via telegram?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bismuth posted:

That just reminded me of that chick with the conspiracy theory about the ethiopian calendar, literally said something about how it was invented before the gregorian one so "so they knew better than us"

What the hell is this mindset? Do they use lead based makeup in their scheele's green powder room before taking a horse to go post on facebook via telegram?

That's just a new version of the 2012 Mayan apocalypse theory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bismuth posted:

But even if you believed ancient people were smarter...it's a calendar, it's completely arbitrary. I don't get it

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

But even if you believed ancient people were smarter...it's a calendar, it's completely arbitrary. I don't get it

People believe that the time in which you were born has celestial provenance and that the position of various bodies in outer space has some physical and spiritual governance over your life. Is the idea that a calendar might have some importance really so strange given that?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbf those ancient people are smarter than these dumb people because they used their astronomy knowledge to

1) know the earth isnt flat.
2) also know that the year was 365.25ish days too. but didnt really care.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
They only didn’t care because the moon is way easier to observe since you can stare at it AND it has observable changes with the naked eye AND it was consistent.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Constellations and the stories around them don't really make sense until you realize how bored people back then must have been without XBOX.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also the night sky was like insanely beautiful and awe inspiring before light pollution

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Skwirl posted:

That's just a new version of the 2012 Mayan apocalypse theory.

Yeah her whole thing was that the ethiopian calendar (which is old and therefore more correct) is in 2014, which means 2020 was their 2012, and the mayan calendar (also old and correct) said the world was going to end in 2012, so they were predicting covid.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Ah, yes. Pestilence. Definitely NOT something that has occurred since, or before, 36 CE.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Skwirl posted:

Eh, I'd take a pardon and then just say "I still think I'm innocent but really didn't want to be in jail."

What does an official admission of guilt accomplish if there's no consequences?

The biggest consequence is that you don't have any risk of legal jeopardy, so you are no longer protected against self-recrimination. So you lose a lot of the 5th amendment protection and can be compelled to testify.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

theironjef posted:

The biggest consequence is that you don't have any risk of legal jeopardy, so you are no longer protected against self-recrimination. So you lose a lot of the 5th amendment protection and can be compelled to testify.

Yup

Also the admission of guilt part was sort of the basis behind the Nixon pardon. Ford believed that if it was accepted at least Nixon would be on record admitting he was guilty

I mean man maintained his innocence until the end but still

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also isn’t it still a “yes” check on the ol’ job application when asked in the questionnaire if you’ve been convicted as a felon?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If ancient people were that smart then why are they all dead?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

theironjef posted:

There was even a Supreme Court case, Burdick v. United States, because someone refused to accept a Presidential pardon so they could keep taking the Fifth.

Wikipedia posted:

Background
A grand jury was investigating whether any Treasury Department employee was leaking information to the press. George Burdick, city editor of the New York Tribune, took the Fifth and refused to reveal the source of his information. He was handed a pardon by US President Woodrow Wilson in a maneuver to force him to testify (because the Fifth Amendment does not apply if the person is immune from prosecution), but Burdick refused to accept the pardon or testify. He was fined $500 and jailed until he complied.

Decision
Justice Joseph McKenna delivered the opinion of the Court in favor of Burdick. The Court ruled Burdick was entitled to reject the pardon for a number of reasons, including the implicit admission of guilt and possibly objectionable terms contained in a conditional pardon. As Burdick was entitled to reject the pardon, he was also entitled to assert his right against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment.

Although the Supreme Court's opinion stated that a pardon carries "an imputation of guilt and acceptance of a confession of it,"[1] this was part of the Court's dictum for the case.[2] Whether the acceptance of a pardon constitutes an admission of guilt by the recipient is not clear and has never been a question presented for argument or decision.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dialhforhero posted:

Also isn’t it still a “yes” check on the ol’ job application when asked in the questionnaire if you’ve been convicted as a felon?

yea you're 100% a normal convicted felon even if pardoned, that's why expunging records as part of legalizing drugs and all is so important because even if you pardon everyone they're still dealing with all the problems of being a felon.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbh we also need laws in privacy so info about a persons past doesnt show up so easily in free search engine searches or employers cant ask or get that kind of info if its not relevant.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

tbh we also need laws in privacy so info about a persons past doesnt show up so easily in free search engine searches or employers cant ask or get that kind of info if its not relevant.

yea I mean there's a pretty solid case to make that the mere existence of 'felon status' is unconstitutional extra punishment and even if not it's just deeply unethical to brand someone for life after they serve their time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/OneJKMolina/status/1523394057476530176?t=mtzuTTzxuSBAeDzmO9Kqvw&s=19

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
how are there people so loving stupid

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
stealing a joke from QI and adding a few more cents to calendar / basic astronomy 101 chat.

only women cared about keeping track of 28/30 days.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 04:21 on May 12, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AlbieQuirky posted:

how are there people so loving stupid

They spend all their time talking, playing, dancing and making love.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/CocoaFox023/status/1524281182695079936

lmao

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zil posted:

They spend all their time talking, playing, dancing and making love.
All people in first world country do is eat hot chip and lie.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Knormal posted:

All people in first world country do is eat hot chip and lie.

Can confirm :hai:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

we definitely should not be encouraging young children to breathe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All religions except for Christianity are satanic, especially Eastern ones. Anyway no we're not racist, how dare you insinuate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

we definitely should not be encouraging young children to breathe

They really doubled down on that point, I was trying to figure out what their particular problem was with deep breating (pranayama)

Anyway my five-year-old loves to show her little brother how to do yoga poses, and it's cute as all hell so gently caress this,