Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Yaldabaoth posted:

Her cockney voice is so grating...
Watch the episode where she's practicing her American accent so restaurants will accept her reservations. She scares Niles, and Frasier is mortified: "Who's your tutor, a drag queen?" (It's around/after three dates and a breakup)

I'm at Frasier doing something spontaneous and collecting Laura from the airport. Of course Linda Hamilton is married, but they part friends. Sigh, I always like that scene, must remind me of someone I know. If memory serves, the bad trips to Mexico are next.

But I did have a recollection/realization. Maris/Sherry/MrsMoon. It's quite the setup that everyone around Frasier is the cause of so much grief, as if he's supposed to learn happiness from negative reinforcement. I don't recall Frasier having half a season where everyone hates who he's chosen (other than Lilith, but that was at a distance). I got a glimpse today of Sherry-as-MrsMoon for some reason. "Cheeky trouble making nag, once removed" character.

I'm Frasier's age and just had a birthday. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So I don't understand something. Niles is a psychiatrist, he says that his lawyers are expensive, but what kind of divorce outcome results in all his current and future money being gone? Surely his salary is sufficient for the bottom 60% of his lifestyle (removing the random art/historical purchases)? There's no child support, and Maris already owns the house and he doesn't really possess anything that would need to be returned.

(And Maris was still teasing him with gifts the day before she tore up the settlement, so it seems like "vindictive" would be fairly easy to place on her side.)

But why does that take expensive lawyers? "Go on keep everything you bitch, and I'll live life on my $250k/yr 1993 salary".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My guess is she's claiming she funded his practice or is entitles to some of his professional money's.

Also there's no way Niles lives without poo poo like caviar and BMWs unless he goes full Island

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lol that you think maris would let Niles have bank accounts in his name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Niles and Maris honestly have one of the most realistic depictions of divorce on TV, considering. Especially for a wealthy couple and a vindictive partner. The point is mostly that Niles has been so used to the lifestyle that he struggles outside of it, on top of his understandable emotional struggles. (Of course, fuckin' lol at the Shangri-La bachelor apartment that's treated as horrible when any millennial would literally kill for it. Though maybe that's the joke.) That and Maris has been manipulating and emotionally abusing Niles for so long that he has to re-learn how to function on his own.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Frasier is pretty evergreen, but when it aired accommodation prices were still "reasonably" good, most milennial-equivalents not living in a dense urban environment could PROBABLY do better than the depiction of the Shangri-la. Or at least that's my (almost certainly) naive take. In today's world, Niles would need to rent that apartment with like, four roommates, which would probably be its own episode of @newfrasier..

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

some kinda jackal posted:

Frasier is pretty evergreen, but when it aired accommodation prices were still "reasonably" good, most milennial-equivalents not living in a dense urban environment could PROBABLY do better than the depiction of the Shangri-la. Or at least that's my (almost certainly) naive take. In today's world, Niles would need to rent that apartment with like, four roommates, which would probably be its own episode of @newfrasier..

BRB, gonna pitch “The Big Niles Theory”.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Haha yeah the Shangra La was probably a $300 when it aired; it's only a studio apartment. I'm willing to grant double that for downtown (but I doubt it based on 2000 rent prices when I was looking). By 2020, a studio downtown is $2000 minimum, and even going way over the bridge to West Seattle it's still $1500. (In a place called the Maris!)

No surprise to anyone here, it's 3--7x the rent increase, with median income up about 3x maximum (30 to 90, which represents a ton of IT ingestion).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Lol that you think maris would let Niles have bank accounts in his name

Yep, at one point after they separate (I think in the episode Frasier is arrested for picking up a prostitute) Niles' credit card is declined and he remembers that Maris had his credit limit reduced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Timby posted:

Yep, at one point after they separate (I think in the episode Frasier is arrested for picking up a prostitute) Niles' credit card is declined and he remembers that Maris had his credit limit reduced.

Unfortunately real there, though usually it's gender-inverted. Am reminded of the unspoken tradition of housewives having expensive jewellery as gifts specifically as something they can indisputably claim as 'theirs' that's easy to move, hide, and convert into cash on short notice.

The arc where Niles finds his own place once he has his finances in order is interesting, specifically highlighting the difference in tastes and preferred lifestyle to Frasier despite their similarities. Frasier's iconic apartment is high up, open and relatively modern, while I'm not sure if it's on purpose, but the set for Niles' place has a very cosy and... earthy feel to it, almost underground, on top of being specifically a historic building with very high standards for tenants. Frasier's apartment is quite large and has an unusual layout that's nonetheless practical and lends itself to several residents not treading on each others' toes too much, while Niles' is said to be larger than the set makes it look, but easy to get lost in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a hard time believing anything like Niles's crazy bougie apartment exists. Unless the Tenants board approved construction of his bespoke mahogany library dealie.

Of course, Frasier's apt. Is nouveau rich modernity (complete with trendy African effigies). Niles is pure old money cosplay

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 11, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The arc where Niles finds his own place once he has his finances in order is interesting, specifically highlighting the difference in tastes and preferred lifestyle to Frasier despite their similarities. Frasier's iconic apartment is high up, open and relatively modern, while I'm not sure if it's on purpose, but the set for Niles' place has a very cosy and... earthy feel to it, almost underground, on top of being specifically a historic building with very high standards for tenants. Frasier's apartment is quite large and has an unusual layout that's nonetheless practical and lends itself to several residents not treading on each others' toes too much, while Niles' is said to be larger than the set makes it look, but easy to get lost in.

I felt the show did an okay job selling Niles's place being relatively large, there's that hallway next to the front door that leads to ????, there's an upstairs that I can't remember being directly shown, but Daphne's mother rather evocatively demonstrates some of its qualities in the famous painter episode, etc. We sort of see all of Frasier's place in some way, right? The hallway that leads to Frasier's and Marty's bedrooms is partially shown in a few episodes, and the other hallway to Daphne's room too.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

FilthyImp posted:

I have a hard time believing anything like Niles's crazy bougie apartment exists. Unless the Tenants board approved construction of his bespoke mahogany library dealie.
There are definitely "triplex apartments" listed in Manhattan, but you're not getting a monthly lease (because they're all listed as condos). Also they mostly look like they targeted open floor plans, so some of the levels will be balconies and such.

As to the interior design, sure, why not? Client targeting has been a part of business for a few thousand years, and if they want old money in that building they aren't going to load the place up with LED light strips and industrial furniture.

(And where's that damned excellent interior design web site that showed the historical time period and properties and images for basically every style, even up to industrial rave punk electric or whatever?)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Im Pro Opera...and I Vote!

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
lil something I made to sate my Frasier thirst

sound on
https://i.imgur.com/249OIm5.mp4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's he saying, "scramble!"?

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Should be able to right click and enable the sound controls if it's not already playing audio. It's a clip of him saying scrambled eggs :v

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh poo poo I didn't realize it had sound haha, it's way better now

Edit: gently caress did your post always say "sound on"? I'm sorry

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Lmao don't sweat it, just take in the Frasier vibes.

Think if I keep adding to this I'll have the camera pan right as he crushes the egg and we see Niles getting facialized by the eggy discharge, maybe slowly zooming in on his face as more eggs are continually exploded.

drat that's hot

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Veneer!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wanna watch the Dr. Faust episode again, that was one for the ages!

Come Fraiser, I'll make all your dreams come true!

But at WHAT cost? :cry:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hey what do ya know i already got a drink in hand!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

KoRMaK posted:

hey what do ya know i already got a drink in hand!
It will be empty soon! Especially since we have to raise a glass to the Frasier Crane song. (But that's what good conducting can do.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Niles' place gives me Bag End vibes, that's it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Niles' place gives me Bag End vibes, that's it.

"Frasierdo, I'm afraid I have a favor to ask. Gandalf wants me to throw this ring into the fires of Mount Doom. And from one look at this gaudy inscription, I don't blame him."
"By Isildur, that is dreadful! Some sort of Third Age bauble I take it?"
"Second."
"No! Who was it forged by, dwarves?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"And now, the unveiling: a genuine Galadri weavework from middle Lothlórien!"

"This is trash! is fake!!!!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's a back ACHING for the lash!!!!

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Poke Chop posted:

She is a wee bit psychic, dont you know?

Did they gradually tone down Daphne's visions and loopyness, or did her personality change all at once? It seems like after she gets together with niles she stops talking about aliens and premonitions. It all turns to stories about her abusive childhood.

They had another episode later where Daphne gets a bit snippy about Niles being a skeptic. They bring in an expert to run some scientific tests to determine if she actually has extrasensory abilities but Niles says "actually, you know what, nevermind, this is part of what make you you and I love you for who you are blah blah blah". That was the last major mention of it so far as I can recall.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
In the middle they replaced the premonitions with weird stories. Daphne starts talking more about her family and experiences growing up, which usually leads to very concerned looks from those within earshot.

EG bowling the little brother across the lake in a sack. "And when he got ten quid for it, well it was all they could do to stop him sawin’ the rest of them off!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cosmik Slop posted:

but Niles says "actually, you know what, nevermind, this is part of what make you you and I love you for who you are blah blah blah". That was the last major mention of it so far as I can recall.
It's an excellent character actor in the role of the skeptic.

But also, you blah the most important part:
Before they get the results, Daphne gets asked about how these abilities manifested/how she realized she was psychic. And it's a great bit about how, as the only girl in a family stuffed with boys, her Grannie would tell her how it was the women of the family that had these gifts and that Daphne was especially gifted. So instead of feeling overlooked, it gave her something to be proud of.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1528151188134191105

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/punished3liza/status/1528372792780988416

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wut?

Well anyway, the wine club episode (forgotten but not gone) made me sad. I miss well run meetings. I have one friend who was part of a proper nonprofit until recently, but departed when they started violating their own bylaws. I even went to a local chapter meeting for the National Association of Parliamentarians once and they got something wrong so I didn't go back (and the location/travel was an issue at the time), though I did get a good book reference whole there.

My bar (private) has an online liquor list. Maybe it needs some bylaws.

Thanks for listening Frasier friends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly just made me picture Niles as Spider-Man.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Rewatching S02E06, and the mechanic scene catches me off guard every time.

Something that caught me on this rewatch: Does... does Artie live? I don't remember hearing or seeing him after that episode :ohdear:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Did anyone make a catalogue of Nile's first wife's attributes?

"She'd be down there herself of course, but the poor thing... can't produce any saliva"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure this isn't comprehensive, but it's a start

quote:

Among other problems, it is revealed during the series that Maris exhausts easily under the pressure to be interesting, cannot produce saliva, once had a $25,000 face lift and is allergic to roses. She also has abnormally rigid vertebrae, slightly webbed fingers and an underbite. Perfume gives her hives and her skin has no pigmentation. Getting angry causes one of her eyes to twitch.

Foods she claims she cannot eat (due to allergies or other reasons) include shellfish, poultry, red meat, saturated fats, nitrates, wheat, starch, sulfites, MSG, dairy and nuts. She also claims she is hypoglycaemic. It is revealed that Maris has an eating disorder, probably anorexia.

She has a fear of flying due to a bad experience when she was bumped from first class; she also dislikes public display of rhythm.

She cannot have pets because, according to Niles, she distrusts anything that loves her unconditionally (this contradicts the statement about the ocelot and the dogs, mentioned above).

She is too light to activate a whoopie cushion and is so weak that she once became trapped in a revolving door. She is also so weak that she couldn’t activate a clapper light. She once tried to stomp grapes to make wine, dancing herself into a frenzy, but did not crush a single grape. She needs help slamming a door, and does not leave footprints in the snow

She once sprained her wrist from having too much dip on a cracker. In another episode, Niles commented that wearing a pair of the latest hooped-earrings had compressed Maris’ spine.

She cannot ride a horse because her quadriceps are so tight she cannot straddle anything larger than a border collie (This is also later contradicted, in an instance involving chemical bonding, and a horse saddle Niles had bought her, although since she was doing a “Lady Godiva Impression”, she may have been riding side-saddle).

It was alluded to in the season three episode “Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fired” that she once was addicted to cough syrup.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently they originally had plans for Maris to show up but realised they could never live up to the descriptions of her.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they originally had plans for Maris to show up but realised they could never live up to the descriptions of her.

Really? I always thought they were just using the same gag they used on Cheers for Norm's wife Vera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A privilege elemental