Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

fool of sound posted:

Not if she's God's side piece

This was probably meant as a joke but it's actually one of the reasons given by the Catholic Church:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/why-marys-perpetual-virginity-matters

quote:

The virgin birth—and Mary’s perpetual virginity—are signs of Mary’s total consecration to God, single-minded service to him, and utter abandonment to his will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Twelve by Pies posted:

This was probably meant as a joke but it's actually one of the reasons given by the Catholic Church:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/why-marys-perpetual-virginity-matters

Mods change my name to God Goomah.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

lol no I was completely serious, my grandparents spent years trying to convince me to be catholic

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

But she was married! I thought that was like the one time a Christian woman was allowed to enjoy sex sin free!

Like a lot of catholic stuff it's some weirdo Greek philosophy which got ported in and has to do with how only a pure perfect vessel can give birth to a perfect god so not only was she born without original sin (immaculate conception), she never sinned her whole life and also didn't do other dirty worldly things like gently caress or die

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never found aspects of Christianity like the Virgin Mary to be confusing or contradictory if only because the Christian God is omnipotent and omniscient and at that level of power you can just do stuff like that if you want to.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Blast From the Past: Biden has brought us back to the carter days High gas prices, rising interest rates, and inflation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...yeah, okay, and all the other lower court decisions and Constitutional checks that led to that decision are what, nothing at all?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never found aspects of Christianity like the Virgin Mary to be confusing or contradictory if only because the Christian God is omnipotent and omniscient and at that level of power you can just do stuff like that if you want to.

Yeah but it's people making up these doctrines not god so it is actually an interesting question why one sect believes one set of dogmas about say how the Virgin Mary works and others believe the opposite.

Protestants generally don't believe Mary didn't gently caress or that god just swept her up to heaven alive, so "cuz god wanted it that way" isn't actually an answer to where that belief comes from and how and why catholics reasoned that way

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm glad we agree people should have the right to choose for themselves.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ah, I see we've switched back to "America is a democracy not a republic".

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A good cartoon. The right to abortion should be encoded in law, women's (or anyone's) rights shouldn't be depended on a court ruling than can be overturned.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but it's people making up these doctrines not god so it is actually an interesting question why one sect believes one set of dogmas about say how the Virgin Mary works and others believe the opposite.

Protestants generally don't believe Mary didn't gently caress or that god just swept her up to heaven alive, so "cuz god wanted it that way" isn't actually an answer to where that belief comes from and how and why catholics reasoned that way

It's an interesting question how these doctrines arose, yes. I'm just responding to the idea that perpetual virginity or whatever it's called is some inconceivable (no pun intending) illogical thing.

I mean it obviously is from a rational, scientific standpoint, but I'm not particularly interested in that line of thinking about it because there's no real productive conversation to be had that doesn't end in Monty Python's argument sketch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brawnfire posted:

...yeah, okay, and all the other lower court decisions and Constitutional checks that led to that decision are what, nothing at all?

Also the 1973 decision was that people should be allowed decide for themselves. For some reason the cartoonist is falsely portraying them as equivalent.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Also the will of the people is largely ignored by the government anyway. People weren’t fighting for a federal law securing abortion rights to be passed because it was already secured by Roe v Wade. People have been pissed that abortion access has slowly been stripped in countless places over the years but have been unable to do much about it because the lawmakers don’t actually give a gently caress about what the people want

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Wars Make Bad Badfellows

Ted Rall posted:

Many Americans are skeptical about military support for Ukraine given that country’s dismal human rights record and autocratic political system. One might also wonder why any other country would want to get into a relationship with the United States.

First Dog on the Moon: So many unreleased 'secret' government reports! How much worse could everything be?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I love how all the other Scary Leftists are yelling and looting and holding torches but all he does to make AOC threatening is just have her standing there being brown and existing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

And also that they're trying to charge the narrative to "it's the left that carries torches."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Torches ARE threatening? I thought they were just light

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
lmao they're literally just protesting, how loving dangerous
he didn't even draw one of them punching anyone or throwing a molotov, just a picket sign of a molotov

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
One of them does have a tv, and they're standing in front of a burning building.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also beyond those that just have group names on them, there are five actual expressed ideologies on their signs:
1. Student loan forgiveness/social welfare spending
2. "Keep Abortion Legal"
3. Spend less on cops
4. Let more immigrants immigrate
5. Environmentally friendly energy plan

yeah drat what threatening and violent ideologies of pure danger
how can the harmless right wing goals like actual genocide compete

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened"
I'm not even sure why Ramirez wants us to see this as a bad thing, given his apparent beliefs about indigenous peoples.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I always thought the (non-theological) reason Mary had to be a virgin was the Catholic Church is a political organization and saying non one can claim to be related to Jesus helps maintain the hierarchy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ulta posted:

I always thought the (non-theological) reason Mary had to be a virgin was the Catholic Church is a political organization and saying non one can claim to be related to Jesus helps maintain the hierarchy.

That's the first explanation I've heard that makes total sense to me. According to the Bible Jesus had four brothers and at least two sisters (maybe more, they didn't really keep track of women so good back then) that's a whole lot of people potential usurpers to the Pope throne could claim to be related to. If you're trying to maintain power best to discredit those blood ties as much as possible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Interesting although the early church wasn't led by the pope, but by a pentarchy of equal patriarchs of important cities (well the bishop of rome argued he should be above the others and they disagreed which led to... problems), although I suppose the same political considerations would apply.

Not sure how important that would be to the popes though who claimed their power based on being the successors to Peter whom Jesus put in charge of the Church in the Bible, his other brothers weren't very important, being related to Mary doesn't make them related to God, and God's favor wasn't inherited anyway.

Also Paul says the best thing is to be celibate but if you have to gently caress be married I guess, so arguing that favor is inherited is kinda weird anyway because then loving is required. Of course claiming that Mary never hosed is one of the ways the importance of celibacy is justified and reinforced so in that sense it does protect the church hierarchy from people claiming to be related to Jesus or whoever

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 11, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Heck until the council of Nikeah big J wasn't necessarily more than a mortal prophet!I
A whole lot changed from the early church.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If one is to ascribe a political motive I think just as strongly as a hypothetical nephew of Jesus you also have the Church needing to create a justification for clerical celibacy. There really isn't one in the canon New Testament, but they still want to avoid priests having kids to avoid dynastic parishes. The early Church up through the middle ages had a great deal of trouble securing the ability to appoint priests to important locations, and a priest having a kid to take over is a direct threat to that.

Hence the Investiture Controversy which took place at the same time clerical celibacy became a strict rule in the Catholic Church instead of a preference. While kings and other nobles appointing priests was a bigger threat to institutional power than priests having kids, both were the source of similar problems.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the questioning of Keir Starmer over ‘Beergate’ gathering – The Labour leader has said he would resign if issued with a fixed-penalty notice in relation to event in Durham last year"

Telegraph:

Matt:

In pictures: The glorious pomp and ceremony of the Queen’s Speech and State Opening of Parliament

Independent:

Queen’s Speech: Why does the crown have its own car?

Times:

Evening Standard:

Michael Gove rules out Emergency Budget despite cost-of-living crisis

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Wars Make Bad Badfellows

Kellies Nomination: Overall Worst
Kellies Nomination: Worst Cartoon (Ukraine)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall, Worst False Equivalency, Worst Cartoon about Roe v Wade

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jedit posted:

Worst Cartoon (Ukraine)

Excellent idea, Jedit. Folks, please do nominate other worst cartoons about the russian invasion.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I know that the Obama logo on Biden's shirt is supposed to be the equivalent of the Obama teleprompter, but it's not the same. It's not the same! You could have drawn the teleprompter sticking up over his shoulder! You can't just drop one of the Holy Symbols like that!

VitalSigns posted:

Catholics rely heavily on tradition and a lot of the early Church fathers did support the idea of Mary being a perpetual virgin, so the idea is "Look, these guys who founded the Church believed this, so it's gotta be true." And as already mentioned, part of it is to give a biblical justification for priests being celibate. Since Protestants don't care quite as much about what the early Church fathers believed and also don't believe that church leaders need to be celibate, there's little reason for them to believe in Mary being a perpetual virgin.

Translation also probably has something to do with it too, for a couple of reasons. One is the talk about Jesus' brothers and sisters in English, which seems pretty self-explanatory, although Catholics will talk about the original texts and say "the word used is for any close family member, so they must have been his cousins/siblings in law from another marriage of Joseph's." The second is that Matthew 1:24-25 says " When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne a son; and he named him Jesus." To Protestants, the use of the word "until" implies that they had sex after Jesus was born. Catholics usually respond by talking about a verse from (I think) Maccabees (which Protestants don't recognize as canon, but anyway) where God says something like "I am, even until you grow old." And that the use of the word "until" there doesn't imply God stopped existing once that person turned old.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

Excellent idea, Jedit. Folks, please do nominate other worst cartoons about the russian invasion.

I already did a russia cartoon nom, heck gosh dang

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Jedit, I can't get over how original and wonderful your nomination idea is. You're doing a real service to the forums with these innovative kellies nom ideas. I wish other people around here would pull their weight like you do. You're just so kawaii.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I went back to January 24th... Jesus gently caress there's a lot going on. Basically every Branco cartoon since then to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:
The story cartoons are about today: Albanese sparks political storm by backing wage rise to match inflation (SMH). Albanese said he would like to see the minimum wage rise to match inflation (5.1%, so about an extra dollar from A$20.33 to A$21.37 per hour). Scott Morrison has pounced on this and called Albanese a "loose unit" who doesn't understand economics. It has provided a clear difference between the two on wages.

Pope:

The Fair Work Commission is the body that actually sets the minimum wage; the government only provides arguments for what they would like them to do. The FWC is meant to be independent but the current government has been stacking it with former Liberal MPs.

Rowe:

Shakespeare:

Wilcox:

Lethbridge:

Leak, Son of Leak: