Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Honest Thief posted:

why does he talk like that
he sounds like clayface on the new harley queen cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKRBjKDHpdI

it's an essential part of his self image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

i wonder if Failed Actor Voice is actually a thing in hollywood

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks trav

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait, travis voiced roger on american dad??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

seriously i've never heard him speak before and my god he's abrasive, is the mcelroy podcast intentionally grating like gilbert gottfried

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i say swears online posted:

seriously i've never heard him speak before and my god he's abrasive, is the mcelroy podcast intentionally grating like gilbert gottfried

no thats just what the mcelroyheads want its "approachable" and "non-toxic"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Travis has purestrain theater kid energy. As a sincere answer, I think most people prefer Griffin and Justin. There's a reason that Travis' solo projects haven't taken off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

this is sus had its moments. hingepoints did not.

The best episodes are the Million Little Dads ones with his sister and Jack Wagner.

I get the impression from some This is Sus episodes + Time For My Stories that Felix would rather talk about shows he likes, but unfortunately his opinions about things he thinks are good are not very interesting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Monster Factory was pretty funny and I think it’s no coincidence that it didn’t have Travis

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol i didn't realize that Felix also moved to LA.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Hooplah posted:

takes her like 3 mins to mention they're straight white guys saying slurs, but doesn't mention uhh yeah dude at all in the intro 0/10 do better

Now I want to hear the early, mean-spirited, slur-laden McElroy content.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hooplah posted:

takes her like 3 mins to mention they're straight white guys saying slurs, but doesn't mention uhh yeah dude at all in the intro 0/10 do better

i see you’re not familiar with the 2+ hour manic ramble genre

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

it's fun how this look for straight guys used to be like a musician/wrestler thing but now podcasters and streamers just cribbed it even worse

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I watched some of that youtube about the McElroys (which I blissfully knew literally nothing about aside from that one guy doing the soyface a lot - I didn't realize they had a media empire of bad D&D podcasts).

It's funny how the video briefly mentions the time they used some predatory loan service as an advertiser alongside stuff like "Travis McElroy being an rear end in a top hat while streaming Among Us." Just mixing in this actual real thing that probably materially hurt many people (given the size audience these shows apparently have) with a bunch of internet bullshit that doesn't matter, like they're all the same. It's like listing the things someone did and casually mixing in the time they raped someone with a list of times they used problematic language or were cringe.

That Youtube lady seems like a good person (and did understand that having the 25% APR loans as an advertiser is horrible, and to be fair her whole thing seems to be documenting dumb internet nonsense), but the whole framing seems indicative of the way the internet has completely broken peoples' brains and caused them to confuse self-expression with "real things." You spend too much time reading peoples' opinions online and sooner or later you start thinking those things are actually important.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mcmagic posted:

lol i didn't realize that Felix also moved to LA.
now only will and Chris needs to move and everyone will be in LA: the new podcast city

right as we run out of water

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I used to be a weekly mbmbam listener, but now I’m completely apathetic to them normally and just bank them for multi hour car trips with my wife because she enjoys it / it’s non threatening

and because putting on cum town or chapo would get me dirty looks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"non-toxic" just means dripping with utterly off-putting toxic positivity, right?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Anyone by any chance remember which podcast did a nice deep dive on the federalist society and their project, or am I just imagining things. I can't find it in alab or 5-4 or trueanon, but I feel pretty sure it exists 🤔

behind the bastards probably. maybe knowledge fight

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Clark Nova posted:

"non-toxic" just means dripping with utterly off-putting toxic positivity, right?

no, it's only talking about "safe" subjects, like deranged fast food press releases (which have an off-putting positivity that they mock (or at least did back when i listened))

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

theyve built their own personal online bullying hell where the hosts of a show that is 50% reading fast food ad copy cant make self deprecating jokes about their own health or eating habits while talking about the latest fast food abominations because someone online c called it fatphobic lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

theyve built their own personal online bullying hell where the hosts of a show that is 50% reading fast food ad copy cant make self deprecating jokes about their own health or eating habits while talking about the latest fast food abominations because someone online c called it fatphobic lol

They helped build a prison and slam the doors without realizing what side of the bars they were on and I personally find that incredibly funny

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I watched some of that youtube about the McElroys (which I blissfully knew literally nothing about aside from that one guy doing the soyface a lot - I didn't realize they had a media empire of bad D&D podcasts).

It's funny how the video briefly mentions the time they used some predatory loan service as an advertiser alongside stuff like "Travis McElroy being an rear end in a top hat while streaming Among Us." Just mixing in this actual real thing that probably materially hurt many people (given the size audience these shows apparently have) with a bunch of internet bullshit that doesn't matter, like they're all the same. It's like listing the things someone did and casually mixing in the time they raped someone with a list of times they used problematic language or were cringe.

That Youtube lady seems like a good person (and did understand that having the 25% APR loans as an advertiser is horrible, and to be fair her whole thing seems to be documenting dumb internet nonsense), but the whole framing seems indicative of the way the internet has completely broken peoples' brains and caused them to confuse self-expression with "real things." You spend too much time reading peoples' opinions online and sooner or later you start thinking those things are actually important.

yea this is kind of why i like sarah z videos lol it feels like a very authentic attempt at understanding the world from someone who is completely immersed in insane tumblr bullshit from six years ago

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

like whenever she discusses any piece of media she has to add in a really long disclaimer where she says 'I don't think this media is evil. you are not evil for enjoying this media. I condemn all past instances of harassment of fans of this media. please do not do targeted harassment on fans of this media.'

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Yeah, I don't watch her stuff much but I appreciate younger Tumblr people giving little glances into that weird bit of the Internet.

It's been years since I listened to a proper episode, but they've been at a loss for what to do with their kind of weird fanbase for a long time now.

There's a sort of funny bit they did once about Justin being afraid of a glass shark hiding in the pool, and he did a Jaws parody thing. Part of the funny bit is that he clarifies that he was trying to sound Cajun, not black, at the end. This bit was explicitly banned from ever being referenced in the main facebook community because so many people would insist that it was super racist and refuse to shut up about it.

Or the bit where the fanbase decided that a non-descript D&D character called Taako was Latino, then that it was really for the McElroys to to name a Latino character Taako/Taco :).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

now only will and Chris needs to move and everyone will be in LA: the new podcast city

right as we run out of water

Don't you need a car in LA? If money wasn't really an object (which it isn't for the Chapo people unless they want a large house in very high CoL city - and even that might be viable, it's not really clear how much each of them makes between all their media properties*), it seems like it would be nicest to live in a fancy apartment/condo in one of the few fully walkable places (if you prefer urban living, which I imagine they do).

* IMO the best way of gauging this is the figures Felix comes up with when making fun of people who make a lot of money and send their children to NYU Tisch (which seem to have gradually crept upward over the years). IIRC the most recent stereotype for high salaries he gave was $400k and he also referenced spending $5M on something (forget the context), which sort of carried the implication that spending $1M wouldn't be absurd.

The whole social environment sounds horrible. A bunch of people who have driven themselves insane through defining self-expression around their consumer choices. It looks like, when you define yourself by your consumer choices, it also causes you to completely lose your mind when there's a conflict between those choices and your own values.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

The video was fine as background viewing but maybe didn't need the five minute sidebar about a fake dnd podcast character created by a mock subreddit. I feel like that's only relevant if someone dressed as that character assassinated Travis

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

only heard about this like third hand but my new fav insane mcelroy thing is the fans getting mad that justin's character wasn't bisexual enough so they made him roleplay going on a date with his brother

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Also yeah the whole taako should be mexican bit made clear that while the mcelroys seem annoying having to manage The Worst Fans in the World being your primary source of income seems like a special sort of hell

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Also yeah the whole taako should be mexican bit made clear that while the mcelroys seem annoying having to manage The Worst Fans in the World being your primary source of income seems like a special sort of hell

I'm happy for them

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Chapo taking an early and hard "gently caress the fans never apologize" attitude was really prudent in that regard

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Or the bit where the fanbase decided that a non-descript D&D character called Taako was Latino, then that it was really for the McElroys to to name a Latino character Taako/Taco :).

Also there was a huge shitstorm about all of the fanart of the campaign characters being depicted as white. They weren't even mad at the hosts, Justin had to wade into it like a preschool teacher putting down a naptime insurrection. Golden age tumblr nonsense like the Steven Universe fandom.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Just to remove any doubt it was forgiven not repaid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

Don't you need a car in LA? If money wasn't really an object (which it isn't for the Chapo people unless they want a large house in very high CoL city - and even that might be viable, it's not really clear how much each of them makes between all their media properties*), it seems like it would be nicest to live in a fancy apartment/condo in one of the few fully walkable places (if you prefer urban living, which I imagine they do).

* IMO the best way of gauging this is the figures Felix comes up with when making fun of people who make a lot of money and send their children to NYU Tisch (which seem to have gradually crept upward over the years). IIRC the most recent stereotype for high salaries he gave was $400k and he also referenced spending $5M on something (forget the context), which sort of carried the implication that spending $1M wouldn't be absurd.

The whole social environment sounds horrible. A bunch of people who have driven themselves insane through defining self-expression around their consumer choices. It looks like, when you define yourself by your consumer choices, it also causes you to completely lose your mind when there's a conflict between those choices and your own values.
If you're rich enough to afford an actual downtown LA proper house, you can get away without carlyfe there because transit in the downtown proper core is pretty good (extremely good by america standards, probably top 5) and walkable/train/bussable; perhaps even better than NYC because nyc is falling apart in real time, and definitely better than bay area. So LA has really good transit-walkability in it's actual area, but it's surrounded by about 10 million tract-housing sprawl around the peripheral which requires car life, when most people think of SoCal they think of the peripheral sprawl but the actual city is quite good. I'm sure liz, matt, felix, amber, brace can afford a pretty nice place in silver lake or downtown district or west hollywood

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:53 on May 12, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Honest Thief posted:

I gotta continue watching Harley Quinn, I forgot that was good poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Alright, I gently caress with Sarah Z and I used to listen to mbmbam so this is on the background. But like before I even get through a 10th of this episode I gotta post the wierd poo poo that was "mbmbam animatics" which were clips from a podcast that someone would animate and they were dope if you liked dumb poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m29U5IIoCM4

And like people stop doing animatics because lmao imagine doing that forever they animate dope poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyC5otywS9U

and oh no Sarah Z is playing bad clips from the show and it hurts...

Edit I clicked back on the video and saw it was their video content I never watched and I feel... I never listened to the side stuff or any of the D&D podcast empire. I'm very thankful for that choice, an episode every week was the correct dose of McElroy. go past me.

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 12, 2022

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the reverse-cumtown podcast

if i could id live in south cali right now i would.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

KirbyKhan posted:

Alright, I gently caress with Sarah Z and I used to listen to mbmbam so this is on the background. But like before I even get through a 10th of this episode I gotta post the wierd poo poo that was "mbmbam animatics" which were clips from a podcast that someone would animate and they were dope if you liked dumb poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m29U5IIoCM4

haha, aw, i loved these. i was such a dumb soft kid :checks date on videos: f..four years...ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
4 years is still before times. Just chill and keep it together.

26:00 in the Sarah K vid:
"Look, I am an authority on dungeons and dragons podcasts because I got one too, so I know how this poo poo works here is my CV and I'm not biased"

I love it unironically.