Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trickyblackjack posted:

I would say 99% of games benefit from headphones. It's like VR, but like just your ears.

Huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gohuskies posted:

One of the Might & Magic series of RPGs had an option where your characters could just "do odd jobs for a week" for some NPC and get some money for it, and I did that over and over and over again until I was fabulously wealthy and could buy the best gear available at the shops, but unbeknownst to me the game had an aging mechanic and all the characters in my party were now 100 years old and had cripplingly low physical stats.
That's why you then make a new set of characters.

Or don't do it in the first place because "the best gear available in the shops" is not very good.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Last Spell is so good, it absolutely devoured 62 hours of my life like a month ago.

The 'tactics' of it is quite fun, but I just love the scaling of it. Like you survive a night and see each of your dudes killed 100 baddies. That's something no other turn based tactics kind of game does IMO, it's almost always fairly evenly matched or maybe they throw 2-3x as many enemies at you as you have party members.

But I'm really bad at it and after like 11 failed attempts on the second map I uninstalled it :v: Added it to me "EA Games Worth Revisiting" collection in Steam though so once it gets more content I'll give it another whirl.

Spear/Sword combo seems pretty busted.

Yeah, spear/sword is the only weapon combination I had in both my succesfull runs. It's mr Henry in the screenshot below.

I didn't realize you could upgrade the inn until day 9 or something, which is why the last two guys have so few kills. But it seems to have helped me, focusing on 4 heroes made it much easier to abuse the multiplicative damage bonuses and stacking defenses.

Build was:
- plague staff mage with very high crit (glass cannon), +4 propagation, and the park that gives mana back on crit.
- one-handed crossbow archer with +5 targets, high crit, and the perk that disables the second weapon slot for +1 spell limits.
- sword/spear warrior with 94% dodge and perk that gives +1 AP on dodge.
- power staff warrior with 70 block and spiky counter. (which reflects damage based on block value)
The last two heroes never got to comparable strength as the others.

In the strategical layer I spent the big majority of my money on buying stuff in the shop. I only built (a lot of) ballistas and wooden walls.

Don't mind the time spent, I left it idling sometimes because you can't save mid battle.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

I would say 99% of games benefit from headphones. It's like VR, but like just your ears.

Hellblade benefits far more than most because it makes heavy use of binaural audio

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

gohuskies posted:

One of the Might & Magic series of RPGs had an option where your characters could just "do odd jobs for a week" for some NPC and get some money for it, and I did that over and over and over again until I was fabulously wealthy and could buy the best gear available at the shops, but unbeknownst to me the game had an aging mechanic and all the characters in my party were now 100 years old and had cripplingly low physical stats.
There was basically a spectrum of how to start playing Darklands. Time not only passed, but you also built characters by defining their life so far. Alchemy takes a lot of time to master so you could create a party of old men who were able to specialize in profitable alchemy over their life and create and sell potions for a few years to create a neat egg, then retire the oldest of them and bequeath your fortune to a bunch of new replacement characters because old guys made older are gonna die.

The alternate to this to actually play the game while this goes on is to already start with a few young guns who can then wander back alleys at night hoping to get mugged and turning the tables. You'd still have an old guy or two as you'll probably spend weeks at a time healing from a bad encounter besides potions also being really useful in combat.

Funding secured, you could then gallivant around Germany hunting Baphomet from a much more financially stable position.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Playing games with headphones is also a good way to damage your hearing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Playing games with headphones is also a good way to damage your hearing.

You know volume buttons exist right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I simply just don't like being deafened to my surroundings. I'll use headphones for voice chat and that's it.

And incidentally I don't even play multiplayer games with friends anymore :v:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

You know volume buttons exist right?

Volume what now?

Really though just from personal experience I get tinnitus a lot more easily if I listen to things with headphones, even trying to keep the volume down, so I assume it's worse for my ears than using speakers.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 11, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you have housemates headphones are better just because you're cutting down on noise pollution and not filling everyone else's ears with meaningless videogame shooty noises.

If you don't have housemates who might be talking to you then what surroundings could you be deafening yourself to? Pets?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I actually can't talk since I don't really play with headphones anymore either since I'm in the same room as my wife when shes working.

I'm actually playing through Shadow of Mordor on my Deck and I'm about 15 hours in and I think I might be kinda over it? I've cleared a bunch of the map but it seems really repetitive and even when you clear the map you don't actually clear it which kinda sucks?

The game has been cool so far but I'm just not sure if a whole lot is going to change over the next 10 hours till I finish it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
SoM is going to be more of the same until the end boss. It is all about making friends and then mindblasting them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

SoM is going to be more of the same until the end boss. It is all about making friends and then mindblasting them.

OK fair enough. Do you ever actually clear the map though? It kinda gets annoying having to sprint all over because dudes are just roaming around.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

OK fair enough. Do you ever actually clear the map though? It kinda gets annoying having to sprint all over because dudes are just roaming around.

You don't because new orcs will take open spots in the hierarchy but it doesn't matter if the warchief positions are taken by your dudes.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I simply just don't like being deafened to my surroundings. I'll use headphones for voice chat and that's it.

And incidentally I don't even play multiplayer games with friends anymore :v:

a good set of cans is basically a wallhack for any multiplayer game with decent audio. Its nuts once you get used to pinpointing enemies through walls with just their footsteps

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

vaginite posted:

It's a real legit good game. If you like 40k and xcom it's a slam dunk. I wouldn't call it AAA, the human faces on the models are pretty lol, but the rest of the graphics are passable.

You can check out the reviews for specifics but I'm 40 hours in and still anxious to leave work to go home and play it some more.

is the strategic layer any more or less complex than in xcom? I never managed to finish a campaign in either of those, too many decisions to make

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ciaphas posted:

is the strategic layer any more or less complex than in xcom? I never managed to finish a campaign in either of those, too many decisions to make

Its very different. You get a similar choice of missions (though unlike XCOM you can do more than one of them if your ship is fast enough) and upgrades for your ship are pretty varied, but it doesn't have the juggling approval aspect of XCOM and ramps up a lot slower so you have more time to acclimate.

Also we have a Chaos Gate thread now people should come post in it and have this game advertised to them

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played some of Soundfall and it's dope.

Very much like BPM but competently made.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MarcusSA posted:

If you decide to move on to SoW, which is so much better, some meta advice is you can import your own friend and enemy using save data from SoM. I think it was having one under your control for a long time and the other was dying to him so often. My mortal enemy showed up wearing the same stuff he had in the last game, buffed up further, and kicked my rear end several times on the easiest difficulty on what may as well be a boss battle. I later rescued my best friend, who I first hated to death in SoM, but he kept showing up like an ugly puppy who demanded headpats and I controlled him.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Ciaphas posted:

Probably a similar number of options, but a lot less punishing. Early barracks/meditation chamber are very helpful but I don't feel like the wrong decision is gonna sink me, and xcom very much felt like that sometimes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MarcusSA posted:

SoM isn't the kind of game where you can clear the map in a Far Cry type sense or w/e. There needs to be more orcs so orc politics can keep happening. At best if you mind control a bunch of high ranking orcs you'll see fewer enemy orcs and more mind controlled ones roaming around, that's about it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I need a game to replace vampire survivors as a podcast + bedtime kind of wind-down, something engaging but low-stakes and controller only. I probably have some things like that from the charity bundles... I used to use hades since I knew it inside-out it wasn't stressful, but I've had enough of that one

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Peglin!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mescal posted:

I need a game to replace vampire survivors as a podcast + bedtime kind of wind-down, something engaging but low-stakes and controller only. I probably have some things like that from the charity bundles... I used to use hades since I knew it inside-out it wasn't stressful, but I've had enough of that one

Are you done with vampire survivors because you're tired of the gameplay or because you've just done everything in vampire survivors? There's another game that came out called Nomad Survival that I've seen some people recommend that is a bit more in depth.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sadtrombone.wav

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1524721132720566272

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I hadn't even heard of Redfall before :v

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

See this is why it's good to not really show off your game until it's definitely coming out.

I'd be bothered by this a lot more if they had started the marketing hype train months and months ago.

And yea wtf is Redfall? ESO expansion?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I honestly don’t recall seeing a single person believe the 2022 date

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Redfall was that Arkane co-op vampire shooter thing they showed like one pre-rendered video for at E3

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Volume what now?

Really though just from personal experience I get tinnitus a lot more easily if I listen to things with headphones, even trying to keep the volume down, so I assume it's worse for my ears than using speakers.

try a different style of headphones, you're probably using something like a smothering cup as opposed to something lighter like on ear or something that lets more bleed out/in

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah Redfall is Arkane’s vampire Borderlands-ish game. No real surprise that anything is getting delayed in 2022.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sab669 posted:

And yea wtf is Redfall? ESO expansion?

It would be nice to get a Redguard expansion but this year is Bretons over in High Isle

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dang I didn't realize Arkane had anything else in the pipeline other than Deathloop

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A coop schlooter is basically the final nail in the coffin for what used to be Arkane.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sab669 posted:

Dang I didn't realize Arkane had anything else in the pipeline other than Deathloop

I sincerely hope they do, because Deathloop already looped itself into the bin. An early death. If you know what I mean.

It's no bueno and its various flaws did not make it the classic it could have been.

Also, enough about treadmills:

Games > Steam Thread: Headphones, it's like VR for your ears

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 12, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saoshyant posted:

Also, enough about treadmills:

Games > Steam Thread: Headphones, it's like VR for your ears
:yeah:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Never forget that Todd jinxed it like an rear end in an interview with The Washington Post last June.

quote:

Despite the challenges Bethesda has faced — primarily the pandemic, which has delayed numerous highly-anticipated games over the past 15 months — Howard firmly believes “Starfield” will meet its just-announced release date of November 11, 2022.

“We’re confident in the date," Howard said. "Otherwise, we wouldn’t be announcing it.”

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fun Times! posted:

Never forget that Todd jinxed it like an rear end in an interview with The Washington Post last June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Y2CsfzaOs

(edit: fixed wrong vid, loving Youtube reposts)

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Todds knew