Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spermando posted:

I don't watch a lot of Marvel stuff, especially the TV shows. Has the multiverse always existed or did it only come into being after the events in Loki?

It's always existed but bursted out of control in Loki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BRJurgis posted:

As much as Cap's final appearance was the biggest (and personally only) plot hole in the MCU, I don't think Wanda's arc could have happened if he was still around. Caps all about being strong for others and not giving up on them, and he was always shown as a positive influence on her.

I know "why didn't they just call in X character for Y problem?!" is a frequent question in the MCU, but with so many characters every movie can't spend energy explaining why a dozen different people are busy or whatever. Except for Cap. He believes in people and never gives up, it's a bigger superpower than his supersoldier serum. His absence opened the door for the corruption and heel turns that make the world more varied interesting and "real".

My response to that is "Because they're busy doing other poo poo that's at least as important to them as what this is."

BRJurgis posted:

I wonder what interesting scene could have occurred if he was in the illuminati Wanda confronted? I have no doubt about what MoM wanda would do, but it could have served to highlight and accelerate her "change".

Also I guess hawkeye/ronin is an exception to my "cap has super redemption powers" theory, but it seemed like Natasha was taking point on it maybe he gave them space at her request.

Well, figure for one thing he'd have probably had them attack her as a group instead of in easily murderable ones and twos. Secondly let's consider that at least some of this is on both Cap, Hawkeye and Tony Stark. Maybe instead of recruiting Wanda into continuing with the Avengers they could have, I don't know, helped get into a community college, get a job and set her up with a grief counselor she'd have found some kind of social support network instead of constantly being put in a position of having exactly one person at any given time doing that until they got killed

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah! Also people are upset about Wanda backsliding from (what others but not me saw as) redemption or healing at the end of wandavision, but I think it makes perfect sense and there is a parallel with strange there too. In dr strange 1 he consciously accepts that "its not all about him", yet MoM explores his innate and human tendency to still be self focused. He's fooling others and perhaps himself about being over Christine, and makes her wedding about him (nevermind alt-strange's actions!) Even his willingness to sacrifice for the greater good is about HIS role in making that choice and his arc was internalizing relinquishing his self centered tendencies. Your post highlighted why he was able to do it more successfully than Wanda.... sometimes.

Ome thing I will point out is at the end of WandaVision while she's astrally studying the Darkhold, we can hear the voices of her kids call for her to help them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgiN9-x1oD0 I think we can take that to mean that the Darkhold was starting to gently caress with her mind at that point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grimdude posted:

I don't visit any media related threads until after I've seen whatever it is.

I couldn't visit YouTube or hell even Google News without having every step/cast decision about this movie being told to me. Short of staying off the internet for several months, I couldn't avoid it.

But none of that matters really because I didn't like the writing, the delivery, the pacing, overall plot, etc. Literally the best part of the experience was the final post credit bit with you know who. Genuine laugh.

Is there a Marvel movie you would say that did a much better job with the above? To me, it seemed like a fun iteration of the Marvel formula, with a villain that was actually the best part of the movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

an endless loop of time displaced caps having super soldier sex with endlessly satisfied agent carters.

Kang sees it all.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Is there a Marvel movie you would say that did a much better job with the above? To me, it seemed like a fun iteration of the Marvel formula, with a villain that was actually the best part of the movie.

MoM is fun but it definitely feels like a homework movie. It's even got a hero mentoring a kid like Civil War had.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Uh having her hang with a robot she has a crush on is the best therapy for crimes

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

live with fruit posted:

MoM is fun but it definitely feels like a homework movie. It's even got a hero mentoring a kid like Civil War had.

The mentor-teenager stuff is half-baked, but, come on, it's not a cap-and-sunglasses Marvel movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Spermando posted:

The mentor-teenager stuff is half-baked, but, come one, it's not a cap-and-sunglasses Marvel movie.

The cosmic stuff can be homework too. And I actually miss the hats and glasses stuff. Need a grounded palate cleanser between wild cosmic revelations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Spermando posted:

I don't watch a lot of Marvel stuff, especially the TV shows. Has the multiverse always existed or did it only come into being after the events in Loki?

Yes. Also no.

Theoretically the TVA has "always" existed outside time to police unwanted branches, but this movie doesn't regard any of that, so effectively there's always been a multiverse. I assumed there was going to be some wrinkle where the Infinity Stones insulated a given timeline from incursions, and Strange's choice to let Thanos destroy them opened the floodgates. But they didn't do that, either. There's just always been a multiverse, as far as this movie is concerned. The canon doesn't matter.

Charlize Theron's character in the post-credits scene is apparently an unrelated multiverse violation watchdog. There are a lot of them, I guess. Dimensional cops all the way down.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Well, the TVA isn't actually keeping the multiverse in check, they're just looking for specific deviations and what you're suppose do intuit is that it exists to stop Kang and in particular his omnicidal dimension conquering variants from existing and breaking the whole thing wide open.

That's why the Avengers (and an infinite number of other universes) get a pass, they don't gently caress up the one thing.

I could be wrong but I think you're meant to go "wait, this doesn't make sense" at the beginning and then Johnathan Majors is supposed to make it make sense, but doesn't really.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Xealot posted:

Theoretically the TVA has "always" existed outside time to police unwanted branches, but this movie doesn't regard any of that, so effectively there's always been a multiverse.
Time travel, especially on the scale Kang was handling it, would cause some serious weirdness with causality. Could be that before Loki, there was only one main timeline, with any branches being trimmed immediately, and it had always been that way. Post-Loki, there's a whole multiverse, with branches shooting off constantly and now it has always been that way.

Even if the nature of the MCU changed when Loki met He Who Remains, there was never a "when" that the change took place, since it happened across the entire timeline, beginning to end. In practical terms, there's nowhere outside of "always" where anyone in the MCU could stand and see the difference.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spermando posted:

The mentor-teenager stuff is half-baked, but, come on, it's not a cap-and-sunglasses Marvel movie.

I was just thinking, it's been a while. Shang-chi and Black Widow had some hat movie elements but otherwise they and all other recent entries have been up in the sky.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mameluke posted:

I was just thinking, it's been a while. Shang-chi and Black Widow had some hat movie elements but otherwise they and all other recent entries have been up in the sky.

Hawkeye is a nice simple show about Clint trying to cover up all the murders he committed during the Blip.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Upsidads posted:

Uh having her hang with a robot she has a crush on is the best therapy for crimes

Honestly I think that the so-called "616" version of Wanda is actually dead and that the Wanda going forward will be the one from the Illumi-be-dead-as-Hell universe. Maybe when she got dream-walked on, Mom(as in mother)-Wanda got "infected" with 616ness or whatever so to prevent a possible incursion she and will have to move universes (probably without her kids but who knows). Which means that Mom-Wanda will inherit the fallout of all the poo poo 616-Wanda did. Figure Mom-Wanda will probably have the same general power level she had around Civil War but more experience controlling it. However, the possibility that she might eventually go "full Scarlet" will be an ever-present concern. 616-Wanda dying at the Darkhold temple also gives us a reason why Agatha Harkness will be free again.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Even if 616 Wanda is 100% dead she has brought herself back to life multiple (I can think of one definitely, one maybe) times in the comics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for people to get sick of the complicated multiverse so we can have Crisis on Infinity Earths movie where they destroy them all :black101:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

Honestly I think that the so-called "616" version of Wanda is actually dead and that the Wanda going forward will be the one from the Illumi-be-dead-as-Hell universe. Maybe when she got dream-walked on, Mom(as in mother)-Wanda got "infected" with 616ness or whatever so to prevent a possible incursion she and will have to move universes (probably without her kids but who knows). Which means that Mom-Wanda will inherit the fallout of all the poo poo 616-Wanda did. Figure Mom-Wanda will probably have the same general power level she had around Civil War but more experience controlling it. However, the possibility that she might eventually go "full Scarlet" will be an ever-present concern. 616-Wanda dying at the Darkhold temple also gives us a reason why Agatha Harkness will be free again.

This is the problem with the Secret Wars storyline everyone thinks they're gonna do. We don't know anybody in the other universes so who cares? Unless they put mustaches on everyone and have good and evil versions of Thor and Ant-Man and everything but they kind of played that card by making Wanda evil.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd rather Wanda face what she's done and not be replaced by Other Wanda.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

This is the problem with the Secret Wars storyline everyone thinks they're gonna do. We don't know anybody in the other universes so who cares? Unless they put mustaches on everyone and have good and evil versions of Thor and Ant-Man and everything but they kind of played that card by making Wanda evil.

I don't think they had much of a choice about turning 616-Wanda evil(or at least antagonistic). I mean, think about trying to write a movie with Six Stones Infinity Gauntlet Thanos as a superhero. WTF could you bring to bear to realistically give him a challenge? They made the point pretty well that in the end the only person who could stop 616-Wanda was herself.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

live with fruit posted:

sounds like a job for non MCU Marvel actors

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.ign.com/articles/doctor-strange-2-elizabeth-olsen-frustrated-by-lost-opportunities-due-to-mcu?utm_source=syndication

Let her do more work

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

So was there no Ted Raimi at all in this movie? I sort of thought the main voice of the spirits that became the cloak sounded like his character from Evil Dead 2, but it's been years since I've seen that movie and could be totally off base.

I also wanted a Ted Raimi experience.

I wish Gilbert Gottfried was still alive. I'd have liked for them to visit a universe where Strange's cloak can talk and it's Gilbert's voice going "HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON? gently caress gently caress gently caress!"

But yes, PG13 I know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Spermando posted:

It came into existence when Disney bought out Fox so they could put the X-Men and Deadpool in their movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What a weirdly written article. It says Olsen was frustrated by her contractual obligations taking away roles she would've liked, but is down to do more Marvel movies lol (if the story is good and doesn't require a 3-picture deal). What angle are they trying to frame? They make it sound as if she despised her contract and wanted out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think that’s fair. She doesn’t hate marvrl she just wants to be able to have freedom.

Doing one good marvel movie instead of contracted for 3 more sounds better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah I guess so. IGN tryna stir poo poo up with that headline though lol. MAX CPM BAYBEE!!!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Olson's team pressing for more pay

Better than most mcu movies, reserved raimi still better than no raimi

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

MacheteZombie posted:

Pretty much, everyone saw the scarjo fiasco and redeal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

bushisms.txt posted:

Lol, good point. I didn't even consider that. Everyone's talking about Olsen's performance too. Expert capitalization.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Olsen was just talking about all the ideas she has for Wanda. She's not trying to leave. She probably wants that Downey re-up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Get that bag, Wanda.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gunna need to rename her The Viridescent Witch afterwards

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Lol, good point. I didn't even consider that. Everyone's talking about Olsen's performance too. Expert capitalization.

I don't know. I think it really is more about her wanting the freedom to do arthouse/indie/non-Marvel/Disney stuff. If she really wanted to live rich, she could go hang out with her older sisters on the private continent they bought with all that Olsen twins money. IIRC they're worth a little north of $2 Billion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im gonna have to state again for the record that Lady Cap kicked butt and was a million times more tough than Chris Evans

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

precision posted:

im gonna have to state again for the record that Lady Cap kicked butt and was a million times more tough than Chris Evans

You should watch the first "What If" episode that has her just murking the hell out of Nazis.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

precision posted:

Time to give Atwell another show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bushisms.txt posted:

This, but Natalie Portman. Olsen's saying that she won't come back just to be Wanda Maximoff, Lightshow Girl when she can get a challenging role, but if they change it up and give her some growth she'll do it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The lobster? Really dude? Lmao okay!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I see a lot of people talking about it, but I didn't have much issue with Wanda suddenly becoming super evil or her simple motivations.

Nor do I care about her getting a power boost, but the problem is that said power boost is inconsistent. The moment someone gains the power to turn people into spaghett you have to give a reason why they are not turning everyone into spaghett

When Thanos did something similar in Infinity War they showed the power had an effective range which reverted once he teleported away and he had to close his fist to do it, something that is noted by the heroes and abused in the 2nd and 3rd act to prevent him from using said power.

So while that scene looked cool, after it happened all I could keep thinking about was why was Wanda not having "Dr. Strange ricciolli" with Timmy and Tommy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The moment you show that a character has a gun do you need to explain why they are not shooting everyone everywhere all the time for the rest of the movie?