Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive always seam sealed first, then soaked in premithrin or given a good spray down.

Which reminds me I need to get started on that for this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive always seam sealed first, then soaked in premithrin or given a good spray down.

Which reminds me I need to get started on that for this year.

Seam seal, then silicone spray for waterproofing, then permethrin?

I ordered the permethrin spray so I'll be spraying not soaking.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Seam seal, then silicone spray for waterproofing, then permethrin?

I ordered the permethrin spray so I'll be spraying not soaking.

Caveat, I rarely if ever silicone spray unless its a rain jacket or similar Im trying to get one more year out of.

Seam seal, waterproof spray, permethrin in that order.

For future applications if you can, buy the concentrated stuff online for way cheaper. Dilute down with water to the proper ratio and spray or soak away for far less money.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hiking shoe question - I bought some Salamon trail runners at REI (XA Pro 3d) and I liked them enough I wanted to get another pair, but hey, variety, so I bought a different pair directly from the manufacturer site. Same size, men's 8.5 US.

The new ones were too narrow (they hurt even just passively wearing them in the house). REI site has a wide 8.5 option - but only in the exact shoe I have. The tag doesn't say I bought wide, but it's possible I did? Salamon's site only has some models listed as Generous. Not actually wide.

Any idea why the main website doesn't list those? (REI sell enough they have bespoke models like Costco?) Otherwise, recommendations for trail runners that do go wide? I have weird duck feet (narrow heel, huge toe box), and one is a full size off the other.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Arkhamina posted:

Hiking shoe question - I bought some Salamon trail runners at REI (XA Pro 3d) and I liked them enough I wanted to get another pair, but hey, variety, so I bought a different pair directly from the manufacturer site. Same size, men's 8.5 US.

The new ones were too narrow (they hurt even just passively wearing them in the house). REI site has a wide 8.5 option - but only in the exact shoe I have. The tag doesn't say I bought wide, but it's possible I did? Salamon's site only has some models listed as Generous. Not actually wide.

Any idea why the main website doesn't list those? (REI sell enough they have bespoke models like Costco?) Otherwise, recommendations for trail runners that do go wide? I have weird duck feet (narrow heel, huge toe box), and one is a full size off the other.

Wide trail runners that come to mind are altra but they are all zero drop/flat footed (I think). Topo designs has a very similar fit to altra but with some drop vs flat. Otherwise I would just try to see whats out there for wide feet. I know merrell usually has wide options but their trail runner offerings have been very limited the last few years. Probably avoid the european brands like la sportiva since their shoes tend to run narrow anyway, unless they specifically have wide options. I believe salomon tend to have good wide options. I found Saucony Peregrines and brooks cascadia to feel pretty narrow and I have narrow/normal feet.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Thanks! I appreciate the concept of zero drop, but they just feel weird to me. I wear composite toe work boots daily with a 1.5" heel, and it's just too different.

Waiting to see if Saloman will accept these back (I wore them indoors only to try out).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I did a local 12.5 mile hike in zero drop trail runners (Altra Lone Peak 6) over the weekend and had a really good time with them. Made me wonder why I'd bought some much bulkier daily trainers before these. But I also walk barefoot around the house a lot and have done martial arts in the past, so I'm used to strenuous movements barefoot.

Bear question for folks. I'm heading car camping to Vogel State Park in northern Georgia, and it's black bear country up there. Do I need bear spray? Can I just rent bear spray from the park? Also, I've heard mixed messages about whether your car is a safe place to store food. Are bear canisters rentable at most parks? I would love to avoid spending $120+ on bear safety gear that I'm only going to use for three nights but I also do not want to be eaten or have my car destroyed.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You’ll be fine w/out mace or a bear box, imo, but you can likely rent both from a nearby REI if you’re coming from Atlanta or UGA’s outdoor club if you’re near Athens.

E. Not sure if Vogel would have them for rent since it’s a relatively low risk; you’re more likely to see steel bear boxes for general use if you’re staying at a designated campsite

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vogel's campground is usually packed, and I doubt most of them are taking real bear precautions. Your car should be fine, but try to keep the odor sealed away because rodents can absolutely get in.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
gently caress me, knives get super expensive! I'm trying to find something that will be easy to carry around and the top suggestions from friends are all super pricy Benchmade knives. I'm going to order a cheaper spiderco and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Any insight on how to rationalize a $350 knife? Woof

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Get an opinel

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The benchmade mini griptillian is a fantastic camping knife, i have done tons of field cooking with it and also butchered an entire deer with it, and it's like $120... you don't need to spend $350 on a knife

There are many other good options too I'm just saying don't assume benchmade = $350

e: I'm sure a $40 opinel knife will also be fine for camping

alnilam fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 12, 2022

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

gently caress me, knives get super expensive! I'm trying to find something that will be easy to carry around and the top suggestions from friends are all super pricy Benchmade knives. I'm going to order a cheaper spiderco and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Any insight on how to rationalize a $350 knife? Woof

like alinlam mentioned, check out the Griptilian line from Benchmade, or the Bugout line, both are way, way under $350. If you're looking for a folding knife that is cheaper than Benchmade but still well made, take a look at Civivi, Kershaw, Spyderco has some more affordable models, the SOG Terminus and new Flash models are good for the money, there's a lot out there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What are you doing with the knife?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I was going to say to get a Kershaw Cryo because they're good and cheap (I've gotten 3 variations over the years for $20 each) but they're way more expensive now for some reason?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

FogHelmut posted:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Someone mentioned the $15 tiny keychain sized Swiss Army knife a while back, and I got it on a whim, and it's been the most useful knife I own. Tweezers and scissors way more than the blade - which is only an inch long and very sharp and still quite useful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have a leatherman wave and 90% of its use is in having pliers

Sometimes tweezers would be nice but I find myself using the pliers to yank on zippers or pull lovely pots out of the fire or what have you

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Morakniv have probably the best beginner, everday knives available. Not sure on the availability in the US though. I am certain all if not most are full tang, great grip, and easy to maintain/sharpen. I would suggest the stainless over the carbon, as the carbon will rust/stain if you do not keep it maintained.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sockser posted:

I have a leatherman wave and 90% of its use is in having pliers

Leathermen are good.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I just grabbed a $7 neck knife off Amazon that had decent reviews, after reading some of the poor reviews it seems that some batches didn't come pre sharpened, but mine was sharp as poo poo and it seems fine.

I sharpen my knives regularly, but I lose them, so I just bought this so it doesn't matter if I lose it. I'll probably rewrap the handle with better cord and grab a few more for my random doom boxes where I always dig through looking for things.

I do the same thing with tape measures, I just buy a stack from the dollar store and have them randomly throughout the house because I can never find one when I need it

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Arkhamina posted:

Yeah Salomon shoes sizing varies a lot between models. For example, my clown feet are well in a pair of Sense Ride size 14, but when I tried on a pair of X Ultra in the same size they were too narrow and also felt a tiny bit shorter.
Unfortunately I haven't found the guide on Salomon's website to be helpful in judging size and width, your best bet is to scour the internet for reviews.

For what it's worth, some models exist in a wide version, but there are few of them. For example, the X Ultra exists as wide, but only with goretex, not without. In any case, the wide models are clearly listed as such on the official Salomon site, but for any other online retailers it is more random.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Someone mentioned the $15 tiny keychain sized Swiss Army knife a while back, and I got it on a whim, and it's been the most useful knife I own. Tweezers and scissors way more than the blade - which is only an inch long and very sharp and still quite useful.

This is what I started using after I finally admitted that I've never actually needed a serious knife in the woods.

I still think about buying a skeletool though..

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive got a teeny tiny leatherman Squirt and an Opinel 6 that I can switch up and take depending on the trip. I've never needed anymore of a knife than either of those.

Anyone use one of the Firebox nano stoves before? Just got one that I've been waiting to play around with, but am thinking it'll be a while before I get the chance to do so. Really hoping to expand backcountry cooking options this year on trips.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is what I started using after I finally admitted that I've never actually needed a serious knife in the woods.

I have a Skeletool CX and it's the most comfortable multitool I've used. It's just a joy to use.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Dick Ripple posted:

Morakniv have probably the best beginner, everday knives available. Not sure on the availability in the US though. I am certain all if not most are full tang, great grip, and easy to maintain/sharpen. I would suggest the stainless over the carbon, as the carbon will rust/stain if you do not keep it maintained.

US availability isn’t an issue, I bought a stainless steel one recently on Amazon for $18 (belt sheath included). Great, inexpensive, fixed blade knife and I second your recommendation.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I also have a Skeletool CX and it's great, but I hardly ever need to use it and it mostly sits in the center console of my car.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Camping knife chat:

For large folders, Eafingrow has very sturdy and cheap folding knives with good steel and handle options for camping on amazon.

Example: https://smile.amazon.com/Eafengrow-CH3001-G10-Folding-Material-Survival/dp/B07CQBQXGB

I'm a big fan of small Kershaws as well if you want something lighter and easier to haul around.

Example: https://smile.amazon.com/Kershaw-Multifunction-8Cr13MoV-Strength-Function/dp/B06XSGSDQN

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

highme posted:

Dumped them into a google photos album. I've worn it a couple of times, it's spent most of it's life folded up in a bag.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Xf1MkHBHLeUh9j67

Ahhh, wild - I have the same hat with a USMC logo on it from my dad.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Benchmade's mechanism is a manchild fidget spinner, which is the main reason mine stays in the camping box instead of my pocket.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have one and I hate it. Using the pliers one-handed gives me blood blisters 100% of the time, as they nip the side of my hand where the tool rests.

I fantasise about losing the Leatherman so that I can have a better actual knife.

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 12, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Dick Ripple posted:

I picked up a carving knife from them. I'm excited to see how this works. I've wanted to get into carving for a while and this looks like a good solution with a beefy case as well.

I also went the Spiderco route.

FogHelmut posted:

I intend on using it for cutting up boxes, whittling wood, making strips for kindling, and provocatively manicuring my pubic bonsai.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Morakniv chat

Several pages back, I had asked about a camping knife and Morakniv came up as a recommendation. I end up buying a Companion in stainless for Mrs. Trophy, and a Bushcraft for myself.

The Mrs. is a complete anti weapon left wing moonbat and gave me a lot of grief initially. "Why you buy weapon? Bad Cat!" But after getting it into her head that it should be looked as a tool, she came around. She mainly uses hers in the camp kitchen and likes the fact that it is cheap enough that she can use it as a beater for popping rocks out of her shoe tread, and sharpening a stick for marshmellow roasting.

I got the Bushcraft because I wanted to demonstrate my manliness by being able to use it on my striker to start a fire. I am telling you, nothing appeals to the primative animal part of her brain like being able to start a fire using a striker and flint. I have very few practical skills, but I was a Cub Scout back in the, ugh, 70's, and I was able to reach way back into the memory hole and pull out how to start a fire.

Cheap and durable, I reccomend.

And because I hate money, I later bought a Benchmade Bugout. The earlier poster is right. It is a fidget spinner for a manchild. It is only a matter of time before I can my hand open.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Knives are one of those things that can divide people here. Admitting you want a tacticool knife because you like knives and gadgets vs needing a giant fuckoff rambo knife is okay as long as you are honest with your intentions.

I usually only carry a small gerber paraframe or a swiss army knife. I basically just need a blade to cut things and open packaging for meals. Swiss army knives have pretty crap blades but the scissors and saw are great. The tweezers are functional but not great. Good tweezers are cheap and don't take up much room. Big knives are clunky and less practical. Its rare any of us need to build a shelter, perform surgery or gut an animal on our camping trips. My first knife was a fixed blade gerber something or another and it is a cool knife but not practical in any way for a camping/backpacking trip. I would have to wear it on my hip to get to it and that isnt comfortable on backpacking trips. Hell, its annoying enough even just on camping trips.

I eventually settled into a smaller folding knife because its way more practical. It fits in my pocket and Seriously, in 15 years of backpacking the bulk of my usage has been opening cheese bricks and food packaging. Maybe the occasional cutting of some paracord but thats about it. I dont whittle figure-4 animal traps or anything so its just a small useful blade.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have always wanted a machete for bushcraft but you have to be careful with posession of knives in California if not Los Angeles.

I am not a lawyer but basic internet sleuthing has stated that folding knives are ok so I'll be content with my leatherman and/or basic rear end kershaw.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It really depends on what you want to do. If I'm hiking I have a Swiss army knife that lives in my pocket, if I'm on a day hunt then I have a very thin Gerber which has a fixed blade and is a bit easier to clean.
For multiple days based out of a camp, be it tents or a hut, I'll either bring a khukri or a bush hatchet just to help prep firewood or clear an area for my tent.

That being said, there was a fellow on YouTube, Felix something, who did basically everything with a Swiss army knife, so I think it's mostly a case of making sure you're comfortable with your gear

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive got a teeny tiny leatherman Squirt and an Opinel 6 that I can switch up and take depending on the trip. I've never needed anymore of a knife than either of those.

Anyone use one of the Firebox nano stoves before? Just got one that I've been waiting to play around with, but am thinking it'll be a while before I get the chance to do so. Really hoping to expand backcountry cooking options this year on trips.

I have a firebox nano and it's pretty neat. I have only had the chance to use it once so far, but I got a pot to boil in what I thought was a decent amount of time.

I wouldn't recommend winging it for your first use like I did...
I used the standard box setup for the smallest of twigs and spent the entire time painstakingly feeding its little engine, so the boil could have been 2 hours and I wouldn't have known. I also didn't collect any fuel and was just picking poo poo up within reach until that ran out, and I ended up having to run around collecting sticks while trying to keep it going. I'm definitely going to do more prep next time and look into some of the more advanced methods of packing it for a longer burn.

All in all, I have a lot of faith it will work out well in my kit. It wasn't a perfect first experience but I was able to just up and boil a pot of water whilst being an idiot. It's a very neatly packaged bit of kit and packs down so flat I have no hesitation lugging it around as a backup or to enable a multi-pot cook. Can't tell you how many times I've brought too much fuel because I was scared of running out. No longer!

Two words of warning with backpacking cookware.
1. They aren't exactly packaged for cooking over fire, as a lot don't include stuff sacks. After using the stove, I had to contend with soot for the rest of the trip. It got on my hands every time I handled the pot, and on some of my gear. It doesn't wash off that easily and I wasn't able to get it properly clean until I got home. I'd fashion something to put your pot in.

2. "Not for fire" extends beyond packaging as well. I got a bit impatient and stuffed some longer twigs into the box to let them burn down. This was fine in the side slots but not from the top. Some of the twigs made contact with the pot. When one of those lit up without collapsing, it actually damaged the finish of my pot. I really wasn't expecting a twig to burn hot enough to do that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I have always wanted a machete for bushcraft but you have to be careful with posession of knives in California if not Los Angeles.

I am not a lawyer but basic internet sleuthing has stated that folding knives are ok so I'll be content with my leatherman and/or basic rear end kershaw.

I am not a lawyer, internet or otherwise, but I am paraphrasing something I read online for rules for California:
Fixed blade knives of any length may be carried if carried openly and in a sheath on the waist. Folding knives may be carried openly or concealed if they are folded. Switchblades/butterfly knives/belt buckle knives/ballistic knives are illegal with limited and few exceptions.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I am not a lawyer, internet or otherwise, but I am paraphrasing something I read online for rules for California:
Fixed blade knives of any length may be carried if carried openly and in a sheath on the waist. Folding knives may be carried openly or concealed if they are folded. Switchblades/butterfly knives/belt buckle knives/ballistic knives are illegal with limited and few exceptions.

Hmm, further research holds true. Let's go get some machetes. I think there's an army surplus store nearby.

Or maybe I should volunteer at blm or usfs first and get a feel for the right tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I need a stroller fan for the little one, and I figured it would make sense to double for the tent. It makes sense to me that I should be able to find something for both.

The most common application will be in a Thule Chariot 2.
TIA