Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1524104658029092865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
buy the dip or ur ngmi

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

repiv posted:

one of the big stablecoins had a "suicide hotline pinned in the subreddit" moment

Anyone interested in investing in my startup? We’re going to be making Haloperidol auto-injectors and selling them to cryptobros

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1524739579198201859

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is extremely worth quoting his reply as well: this was him making fun of crypto people, and at least one nationally famous crypto moron still believed it.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1524588619603886080

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The best part is that LUNA isn't even innovative by finance standards. The normal finance world of Wall Street knows all about it, and it's called "Death Spiral Financing" for obvious reasons. It's a well known arrangement for desperate companies to get YOLO funding knowing full well that any drop in confidence will end with bankruptcy and total collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_spiral_financing
https://investmentbank.com/death-spiral/

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It is extremely worth quoting his reply as well: this was him making fun of crypto people, and at least one nationally famous crypto moron still believed it.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1524588619603886080

Yeah that's the one I meant to post :cheers:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
the replies to this are funny to me

https://twitter.com/CryptoBigsky/status/1524741457730441217

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Scam upon scam upon scam upon scam upon scam :allears:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1524729006754611202

Interesting paper, the commentary on the community seems spot on as well!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

abigserve posted:

Incredible that someone could just say "all these ones and zeros are backed by real us dollars" and not only does nobody check, nobody cares lmao

I am an Old, and had never heard of Tether till I idly wandered into this thread to see what the hell was happening with crypto.

This

quote:

While, according to its 2021 settlement with the New York Attorney General Letitia James, "Tether represents to users that any holder of tethers can redeem them from Tether the company at the rate of one tether for one U.S. dollar",[5] Tether Limited as of 2017 stated that owners of tethers have no contractual right, other legal claims, or guarantee that tethers will or can be redeemed or exchanged for dollars.[6] On 30 April 2019, Tether Limited's lawyer claimed that each tether was backed by $0.74 in cash and cash equivalents.[7][8] In May 2021, Tether published a report showing that only 2.9% of Tether was backed by cash, with over 49.6% backed by commercial paper.[9][10][11]

is literally in the second paragraph of Tether's wiki article.

Literally WTF people?!?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I am an Old, and had never heard of Tether till I idly wandered into this thread to see what the hell was happening with crypto.

This

Literally WTF people?!?

Money breaks brains

People want lots of money and they don't want to think about the risks that entail getting large amounts of money quickly

honestly, you'd do better if you were in some criminal enterprise. At least there the cash flow is pretty solid and there's not a huge risk of losing it all (aside from an odd fed raid here and there)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I seriously hope russia gets hit hard from this cryptocrash and stops this bullshit war. It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Deptfordx posted:

This

Literally WTF people?!?

Reading is for FUDs enjoy your poor man's hobby!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

priznat posted:

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1524729006754611202

Interesting paper, the commentary on the community seems spot on as well!

I really hate agreeing with Taleb on anything but when he's right, he's right.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who is selling tether at a loss right now while it's depegged? Is this all money exiting the ecosystem forever?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

nachos posted:

Who is selling tether at a loss right now while it's depegged? Is this all money exiting the ecosystem forever?

God I hope

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nachos posted:

My guess is people desperate for actual cash due to their funny money evaporating. They're getting out and don't want to sit on tether since other stable coins went poof, so they want their money now. There's a bank run happening and most of the crypto-heads aren't smart enough to realize it. Now it's a question of if tether can stay afloat long enough to outlast the run. My gut says they can for this outing, but they won't be able to take too many more blows like it.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

nachos posted:

People with no confidence that any of it is going to survive for much longer I would imagine?

It's sister coin, LUNA, is trading for ~$0.008 (yes, 3 zeros) on Binance at the moment, from around $2 the same time yesterday, and ~$100 less than a month ago.

edit: Ah you said Tether, misread as Terra. The above reply covers it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

nachos posted:

People that think it’s going to continue to go down in value which is pretty loving bad for a stable coin.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Lmao "stable coin"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I know what will save these!
Apes but with mustaches!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I've learned that crypto is tanking because once again Turkish social media is rife with "guys, life is beautiful, don't harm yourself over this" posts

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

happyhippy posted:

I know what will save these!
Apes but with mustaches!

Can they be slurped multiple times?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/binance/status/1524754461956005891

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Deptfordx posted:

This

Literally WTF people?!?

You skipped over one of the best questions during your bolding - what does "backed by _____" even mean if people don't have the right to exchange them for what they're nominally backed by? It's not like there's any kind of regulation for reimbursement, so it's certainly not in the sense of fdic/insurance

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Nice unregulated money you got there bro lmao

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Something Awful Forums > General Bullshit › Bitcoin: Sorry mate

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

You skipped over one of the best questions during your bolding - what does "backed by _____" even mean if people don't have the right to exchange them for what they're nominally backed by? It's not like there's any kind of regulation for reimbursement, so it's certainly not in the sense of fdic/insurance

it means it's a scam. the scammers used words that finance people use to make it seem official, but it was always a scam. LOL!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Galewolf posted:

Lmao "stable coin"

next time they should close the stable door!!!

:horse::horse::horse:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nachos posted:

Anyone who realizes that getting 95 cents on the dollar, from an exchange that has the highest chance of actually giving you those dollars, is still a pretty drat good price on a worthless asset.

Also it's not a lot of money that's causing these depegs -- on the most reputable exchanges, selling tether for real dollars, it's only like $5 to $15 million bucks that clears out the book and drops the price on the most solid exchanges like coinbase or ftxus. So yeah that's probably some money exiting the ecosystem, but lol it's not a lot by the grand scheme of a supposedly $82 billion dollar stablecoin.

Anyways crypto has been trending down for months, accompanied by ever more desperate shilling. This is a zero sum game. The real big money already exited. That's why it's crashing now -- the bagholders are looking around and there's nobody to sell to.

Sentient Data posted:

What are these boring questions, just loving buy it! If you don't buy crypto Matt Damon is gonna call you a pussy!

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Someone drank all my slurp juice

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1524753471853019137

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Someone drank all my slurp juice

multiple times?

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
re:Tether from a CNBC article:

quote:

Nicholas Bonnet, a quant at crypto broker Aplo, said some traders were exploiting the drop in tether through arbitrage plays — essentially buying the token for less than $1 and then redeeming it for a dollar.
Amazingly stable stuff right here

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gotta imagine everyone's trying their one weird trick before the end of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

corn haver posted:

re:Tether from a CNBC article:

Amazingly stable stuff right here

Who are the idiots buying for 1?